C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Instructions for mounting Pilot Super Sport Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:00 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by pkincy
Do not EVER use that Murphy's/Snot/Stuff. Whatever they call it. Had my local DT use it on a set of 13 ZR1 wheels I had bought to run SCs on my 08 C6Z. Didn't think a thing of it, other than I was surprised that it took them 3 hours to put my 08 TPMS in a set of 13 ZR1 wheels.

Drove home and put the car away. Went to use it about a week later and the snot had taken the clear coat clear off the wheel where it contacted the wheel and it took off all the raised lettering on the tire wall itself where it had been left on the tire. I have not been back to a Discount Tire since that time back in 2015.

I am with the OP on one thing. A fancy wheel machine won't help. But a whole lot of experience will. I use a local company that sells all sorts of ugly huge diameter wheels to ricers. But they can set the bead on our tires in 10 seconds. No muss no fuss. They have changed tires on all 3 sets of my Zs wheels multiple times each with nary a problem. Hopefully this new device can help folks that simply don't do enough of this ZP/Stiff Sidewall work to get the experience it takes to set the bead.
FYI Don't know think it was Murphy's DT used it was a lot of white stuff.
Old 08-21-2022, 07:08 PM
Hereispappagray
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts

I’m in the exact same boat as yourself. I’ve been in this industry for 16 years. I do all the silly wheels and tires locally, and do almost 10,000 a year. I just went to mount my new MPSS to my new BC wheels and had this exact same issue. Mounting compound is totally new to me, I will be getting some tomorrow! To think of it I’ve never done a c7 z prior, and was baffled at this issue

thanks very much
Old 06-21-2023, 03:27 PM
ventor
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Example how to do it right way.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:10 PM
TitsAndTires
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome

[QUOTE=WELEPRO;1589260039]Many folks have been having issues with the mounting of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I have the same tires for my Z, and thought for sure with all my years in the tire industry that I'd have no problems. Boy was I wrong. With that in mind, I thought I'd provide some assistance for tire dealerships who may be struggling.

First of all, the issue is not actually mounting the tires. The problem is getting them to inflate. The rim flange on the Z06 wheels, when combined with the very robust bead of the PSS tires, makes it very difficult to get them to inflate. No matter how expensive or fancy the tire changer is, inflating the tire is all done the same way. So if a shop mentions they have the best changers in the industry, that is neat.....but irrelevant to this issue.

Due to the run flat construction of these tires, a ratchet strap is useless. So is a Cheetah blaster. And ether/starting fluid is dangerous, and not worth the risk.

Pictures #1 & #2 show the issue with the tires. Note it is mounted, but the gap between the rim and tire is where the air escapes when trying to inflate.

Picture #3 is an example of the product your dealer will need to get these tires to seal. Anyone who has been in the industry for a while will be familiar with it. Murphy's is a common brand, but many companies make it. It's is extremely thick, like bearing grease, but not petroleum based. Some folks refer to it as "snot". It's commonly used in off-road or tractor tire applications. Any tire dealer can get it from whomever they buy their supplies from.

Pictures #4 & #5 show the paste in action. It's very thick, and helps create a seal just long enough to get the bead of the tire to seat. It's very messy. But it's safe for the technician, and the wheel & tire.

Picture #6 shows the finished product. After the bead sets, wipe off the excess lube. I also used a pressure washer to make sure it was all gone.

I recommend printing this off, and bringing it to who ever is mounting your tires. No matter what their experience, this is going to be a challenge for them. It certainly was for me. I'm certainly glad I was able to get the kinks ironed out on my own car, before mounting these for a customer.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me.

You just saved the sale for me. I threw everything at this zero pressure and never even thought of the tire jelly. Had it in five minutes!! Thanks buddy
Old 10-13-2023, 06:16 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

That Tire Snot is Ok if it is cleaned from the tire immediately. I had a Discount Tire use it early on in my C7Z06 life as I used multiple wheels and tires on the car. They didn't clean it off and I didn't think to. That crap totally took off all the lettering on the outside of the tire in a couple of days and also removed a fair bit of the smooth outside layer of rubber on the sidewall. The also had a Devil of a time balancing it they had used so much and much of it got inside the tire.

Edit: I looked as some of my old pictures and it actually was a set of larger HRE wheels I bought for my C6Z06 in sizes that fit the C7Z when I bought it and they came with a set of Nitto Invo tires that luckily I didn't value at all, so a couple of years later when I got the C7Z, I just put the HREs on the C7Z with the better tires. But I never again let anyone get near my car with that crap being used. I did find a tire shop that had absolutely no problem inflating the rear C7Z tires. I asked him how he did it and he simply answered, "It is not a problem if you do enough of them." It was a tire shop that specialized in 22s-26s for whatever type of car liked those huge wheels and thin tires. English was not their primary language but they sure had no problem mounting my tires.

Last edited by pkincy; 10-13-2023 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Instructions for mounting Pilot Super Sport Tires