C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Who looped their new Z06 at Summit Point this past weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:13 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Who looped their new Z06 at Summit Point this past weekend?

Good thing the detailer dude was there.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I guess mum's the word.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Sorry, been busy and not on the forum the last few days. It was me and here is what happened.

Normally I track my Katech prepped C6Z but that car was down for some work and this was my first track outing in the C7Z. When I get some more time I'll post up overall impressions but the car performed well overall on track other than some really odd braking behavior like it was going in to ice mode. This wasn't the cause of the crash but will factor in to it.

I started the day running the car in PTM Sport 1, then Sport 2 as I got used to the car and the track dried. After lunch I decided to try a few careful laps in PTM Race mode to see if the braking problem was AH related and would also manifest itself in Race mode. One of the event sponsors had a detailer on site and the car was a little dirty so I figured I would get the car cleaned up as well before I headed back on track.

Anyway, I was heading out on track and rolled up to pit out in PTM race to test my theory. The tires had cooled but I expected there to be some traction. Since the session had already started others were on track at speed. I was waved out by the pit marshal and applied throttle to accelerate out on track. I did not mash the gas but obviously I was still trying to get up to speed on the front straight.

The car immediately yawed hard right with no warning and even though I locked it down it slid in to the tire wall on the inside of the track just past pit out. I could not believe how quickly the car got away from me and the car suffered some scuffs to the front bumper cover and a crack in the fender.

I had to remove the undertray because it was cracked and getting pulled down at speed but after that I was back out on track and the car performed well the rest of the weekend (in Sport 2 mode only).

The pit out does transition from a slight uphill grade to flat right about where I lost traction and obviously the tires were cold. It's possible that there was some water from the wash the dripped down on the tires but I can't say for sure. What I can say is that without the ECU managing power to the rear wheels this car gets away real quick unless you have a lot of grip.

I'm sharing this as a cautionary tale to the rest of the community. I'm sure I'll take my share of Monday morning quarterbacking and folks assailing my driving skill but the moral of the story is I wouldn't run the car in PTM Race.

EDIT: I should add that my car is an M7 non-Z07 car with the stage 2 aero bits and also a track alignment. So the tires were PSS not MPSC2. Once they are warm the PSS performed very well.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 03-25-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:35 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Sorry man! Glad YOUR okay however!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,653 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Well $hit ... sorry to hear about the accident.

Reconsidering my whole 'the hell with track insurance' attitude ...
Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

I'm sharing this as a cautionary tale to the rest of the community..
It happens to the best on occasion, at least you and the car are OK. Thanks for the heads-up and the detailed explanation - what were the air temperatures like during your morning sessions and the afternoon?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RedLS6
It happens to the best on occasion, at least you and the car are OK. Thanks for the heads-up and the detailed explanation - what were the air temperatures like during your morning sessions and the afternoon?
The ambient was around 50 and sunny when this happened. The day started out in the low 40's and a damp track but it had dried out by the time this happened.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I have not driven a Z but have ridden quite a bit and I remember thinking the car would be a handful with no aids on. It breaks the tires loose VERY VERY easily, and even on the PSS there is no warning.

Car needs to be brought up to speed very slowly. Glad your car wasn't hurt badly.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:09 PM
Cobra1832
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. That sucks. Was it on SP Main or Shenandoah? I am wondering if the ground effects can make it through the bowl on Shenandoah.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome to the C7 spin club. Glad to hear that car has minor damage. I agree Race mode is just plain insane in this car. I have restricted my self to only using sport 2. It can still spin around though since the yaw control is basically disabled.

Did you happen to have any PDR video from the event. I wouldn't post the spin because people will come out of the woods and criticize you into next week. They did me. But some video of you tracking the car would be great. I get tired of watching myself hoping to see more videos of others.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

So you were in PTM 5 - Race Active Handling Off?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:41 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Well $hit ... sorry to hear about the accident.

Reconsidering my whole 'the hell with track insurance' attitude ...
Your insurance company will issue track insurance? I bet that isn't cheap!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,653 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by CoolShoesWalkin
Your insurance company will issue track insurance? I bet that isn't cheap!
http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance

No not cheap ... but neither is totaling a $110k+ car.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:27 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 484 Posts

Poor-Sha, did the detailer put tyre shine on your tyres? If they did, I bet that could be part of your problem. It makes the outer edge of the tyre greasy as hell if it came up over the sidewall.
Bish
Old 03-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cobra1832
Sorry to hear about your accident. That sucks. Was it on SP Main or Shenandoah? I am wondering if the ground effects can make it through the bowl on Shenandoah.
SP Main

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Welcome to the C7 spin club. Glad to hear that car has minor damage. I agree Race mode is just plain insane in this car. I have restricted my self to only using sport 2. It can still spin around though since the yaw control is basically disabled.

Did you happen to have any PDR video from the event. I wouldn't post the spin because people will come out of the woods and criticize you into next week. They did me. But some video of you tracking the car would be great. I get tired of watching myself hoping to see more videos of others.
I don't have any PDR video of the incident (hadn't gotten on track to turn it on). I do have other video and will have to get around to editing and posting.

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
So you were in PTM 5 - Race Active Handling Off?
Correct

Originally Posted by thebishman
Poor-Sha, did the detailer put tyre shine on your tyres? If they did, I bet that could be part of your problem. It makes the outer edge of the tyre greasy as hell if it came up over the sidewall.
Bish
I don't think so but am not sure and the car was caked in mud from where it went off in to the tire wall so there was no telling afterwards. The detailer was nice enough to help wash the mud off and dry the car so we could inspect the damage.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:56 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn sorry to hear about the carnage man
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sean

How many miles on the tires? If they were not broken in for 500 or so miles they might be more slippery from that alone. Funny how the majority of my "excursions" in my ZR1 have been during outlaps when the car and tires are car (and my brain) are cold and I have had yaw systems off.

Glad you're ok and the car is generally ok. I know you are very experienced and SP is your home track; it should remind us to respect these beasts and only dial back the nannies when the conditions are just right.

Noel

Get notified of new replies

To Who looped their new Z06 at Summit Point this past weekend?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:15 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vette ruminator
Sean

How many miles on the tires? If they were not broken in for 500 or so miles they might be more slippery from that alone. Funny how the majority of my "excursions" in my ZR1 have been during outlaps when the car and tires are car (and my brain) are cold and I have had yaw systems off.

Glad you're ok and the car is generally ok. I know you are very experienced and SP is your home track; it should remind us to respect these beasts and only dial back the nannies when the conditions are just right.

Noel
Thanks Noel. The tires had ~1500 miles of street and 4 track sessions on them at that point so definitely broken in.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:39 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 881 Likes on 451 Posts

Why does this sound similar to what happened to the yellow Z at Nurburgring. Mero said something about the car suddenly Yawing on him.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

With the tremendous low end this car has this is going to happen to a lot of folks at track days and on the highway. Glad for you it was tires and not concrete. Thanks for sharing op.

Quick Reply: Who looped their new Z06 at Summit Point this past weekend?