C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Clear protection, has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Evolution
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning my C7 Z06 purchase currently, and already decided on Xpel here too. Going to do the whole car in it.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:36 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TON C7S
Xpel is the only way to go!
xPel or Suntek. Installer expertise is very important!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone have any feedback on Llumar PPP?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 9157
I had my C6, 427 and my C7 Z51 all entirely wrapped with EXPEL. I won't do it again. All my cars are black and I did it primarily to prevent swirls. I like to clean/wax my cars a lot and the wrap...no matter how well installed, developed imperfections and Swirls. The orange peel was made worse. There is nothing like working your paint and developing a deep shine. The wrap may protect the paint...but only for the next owner!
Did you install a sealant on top of the film? The better detailers correct the paint, apply the film, and then apply a sealant (Modesta, OptiCoat, etc.). They recommend a sealant to prevent swirls, etc. and enhance the gloss factor.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:44 PM
fjaphd
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by spicoli25
Got my car in the garage and want to get clear protection. I used a guy before for my other car. He used Xpel. I have had no issues. I contacted him again and he wants $2100 to the the whole front, hood and side rockers all the back to before the rear tires.
Seems a bit high.

Anyone do it yet and how much did it cost. I live in Newtown PA. The guy I use comes to the house and does it in the garage.

thoughts?
I had it done on both my zo6 and zo7. Its a great product. Price seem about right.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:45 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,654 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Does anyone know what film GM actually uses from the factory to protect the bottom of the quarter panels?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:47 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by soulsea
I'm getting the 3M pro applied next week to the whole front clip including the entire hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, side skirts, rocker panels, and rear quarter panels ... it's going to run me about $1600 installed, which is A LOT less than the Xpel film.

From all the research I've done with this new film 3M has resolved some of the issues their old film used to have with yellowing. I saw it being applied to a 4C (nice little car) in person while I was at the shop and even though it only had the from half of the hood done I could not see the seam until about 6" away. It has a 7yr warranty anyway so I'm going to use the 3M over the Xpel.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...293812589&rt=d
I understand that cost is a factor. xPel or Suntek are proven films and will provide better results. If 3M has improved their films, I believe they need more time to demonstrate the results (no yellowing, etc.).

I also suggest applying a sealant on top of the film to protect the film's surface and help with the gloss/shine factor.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:49 PM
vettesome
Advanced

My installer is doing full paint correction first and then Xpel Ultimate on full front, ground effects, side to rear quarters and spoiler for 3800. I've used it before and if done properly you can't see it. In fact, the way they do the paint correction first makes the car look better than they day it is delivered.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:53 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettesome
My installer is doing full paint correction first and then Xpel Ultimate on full front, ground effects, side to rear quarters and spoiler for 3800. I've used it before and if done properly you can't see it. In fact, the way they do the paint correction first makes the car look better than they day it is delivered.
Excellent approach. Sealant on top of the film will further enhance the results and add gloss.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:57 PM
vettesome
Advanced

Originally Posted by arturox2
Excellent approach. Sealant on top of the film will further enhance the results and add gloss.
They are putting opti-coat on the entire car, wheels included, but that is an extra $600
Old 03-21-2015, 01:00 PM
vettesome
Advanced

Picture during install

Old 03-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Does anyone know what film GM actually uses from the factory to protect the bottom of the quarter panels?
I dont know what it is....but when i saw it on my car in the showroom, it sure looked good to me - i wish they still offered the front bumper option on the options list
Old 03-21-2015, 03:00 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BADAZR1
Had my White C7 Z51 done in the 3m by some of the best in the industry. after a year of the product on the car the valleys of the hood turned dinghy and would not clean. The onslaught of dirt and rain over and over created issues that would not wash off. it turned quite ugly to say the least.

I have had 2 ZR1s (JS blue, Inferno orange) with the same product but this is the first white car. After one year of being on the car it was turning slightly yellow from the sun. It basically looked terrible!

Just recently had it removed last week and set me back $1,100.00. this crap is not designed to come off and is difficult and costly! Car looks like new now though. Worst decision I have made on a light colored car will not do it again.

Sum it up:
$1400 install and $1100 removal = $2500 for one year of paint protection. think I Could paint it for cheaper.

I hate to tell you but it's very easy to remove. Just heat a corner with a heat gun and slowly, but with a decent pressure, pull the film away from that area. If the film appears to 'stick' and not want to release anywhere, heat it with the heat gun again which will loosen the glue.
If you have a second person help one can operate the heat gun continuously whilst the second person pulls the film. This really helps to get the glue to release leaving less to clean up. Cost: $0.

Lastly, the 3M product has had a bad and well deserved reputation for yellowing for years and this shows up on light colored cars more so. That's why there are generally only two products mentioned as being top of the line: Xpel Ultimate and Suntek.

Bish
Old 03-21-2015, 03:25 PM
BYBY4RE
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having the whole car done in xpel so I don't have seams. I plan to keep the car a long time. I agree with the others that the prep and installer are the most important part. After seeing some of the pics here of gravel/track damage and the fact the Z06 tires throw up stones doing the whole car made sense. I have 3m on my summer DD and will be replacing it with xpel. The hood seam and discoloration drive me crazy!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:41 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,654 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Fuuuuuuuuu ...

You guys are making me reconsider the 3M.

Maybe I'll just pocket the money and tracwrap for the track and play rock roulette on the street.

Ugh!
Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 485 Posts

Fuuuuuuuuu ...

You guys are making me reconsider the 3M.

Maybe I'll just pocket the money and tracwrap for the track and play rock roulette on the street.

Ugh!
A far better option would be to upgrade to Xpel Ultimate, and not worry about discoloration or track damage. Btw, get Clearplex or the Xpel placed on the windshield. They take a real beating on track. Consider replacing every year. It's not expensive to do.
Bish
Old 03-21-2015, 04:52 PM
zo6 08
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by spicoli25
How much?
3400+ tax

Get notified of new replies

To Clear protection, has anyone done it?

Old 03-21-2015, 10:29 PM
j schwartz
Intermediate

I did xpel, the whole car, headlights, splitter, ground effects, mirrors, except roof, rear hatch and rear bumper. $3500 installed
I'm going to do track days and these z07 tires throw the stones.

Last edited by j schwartz; 03-21-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Livinlife
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 9157
I had my C6, 427 and my C7 Z51 all entirely wrapped with EXPEL. I won't do it again. All my cars are black and I did it primarily to prevent swirls. I like to clean/wax my cars a lot and the wrap...no matter how well installed, developed imperfections and Swirls. The orange peel was made worse. There is nothing like working your paint and developing a deep shine. The wrap may protect the paint...but only for the next owner!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 AM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1BADAZR1
Sealant or ceramic coating on top of film is the best way to go. Then you won't have the problem.

Quick Reply: Clear protection, has anyone done it?