C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My 1st MPG test

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 AM
bradgto
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Default My 1st MPG test

I live in Cincinnati Ohio. My wife has been working in Atlanta for almost 2 years for work. So we do lots of "super" commuting.

This post might be longer than it needs to be so if you aren't concerned about mpg then this might be a thread to skip. I am not really concerned about it but if gives me something to try and log while im driving 7 hours. This thing does way better on gas than my 2000 F250 for sure.

I am a mechanical engineer that does research and development for a local conveyor company. So data logging and testing is something I has become part of me, and this test is flawed some because of some of the unknowns and lack of data.

the known data.
miles about 450 highway miles. mixed with 55,65,70 speed limit.
windows were up on this trip.
misting and raining almost the whole time.
temps in the lower 50's to upper 40's the whole time.
light traffic on most of the trip.
i hit no traffic jams that could skew my data.
two stops one for restroom and one for gas and food. Both places right off exit to keep with my all highway miles theory.
my driving speed was +10% of the speed limit.
I did zero fun runs. (taken the hit for the whole team)
all speed limit diving was done in 7th gear
BP gas 93 grade
ECO mode the whole 450 miles

the unknown
elevation changes (this made a huge difference for the v4 mode)
how often the AC was actually on (the light was almost always on since I was in auto mode)
I'm sure there are some others,

I have attached a couple of pictures. to see the almost mid results and final results.

my observations about eco mode. its is build for driving at 60mph. That is when I got the best mpg. at one point i drove about 22 miles at 61mph and i got 27.9 mpg over a 50 mile range. so I think 30 would be possible if I had 50 miles of a speed limit of 55. The faster I drove the more the V4 mode shifted in and out. at 77mph it seamed to only come on when I was going down a slight incline.

I am thinking about next trip hooking up the hptuners and finding the PID for v4 mode and comparing it to engine load. (arrrr the damn engineer in me I love collecting and comparing data)

over all at 23.7 mpg I thought was pretty good. I might do a all in touring mode on the way home to see what a difference it is.. (i know i know I should only compare the same route so maybe next time I come here I will do the exact same route in touring mode.

anyway I am sure I have bored some of you to death. so have a great day.. heading out to put my new black lug nuts on the car and then wash it. woohoo.
Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2015, 10:14 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Nice info, thanks. Get to pick up our car tomorrow and we'll see how it does.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Thats pretty good.

You might check it the old fashion way. Just to compare against the computer. - filling it up until the automatic shut off kicks in at the gas pump, go back to that same gas pump refill, then do the math.

Most folks have found regardless of make or model of car the auto manufacturers are a bit optimistic on what the computer displays.

My daily driver is a kia sorento AWD(2011). When the Computer displays 24 or 25 - it usually is 23 or 24 when i use the above method.
my C6Z - is also 1 or 2 miles less then what the DIC displays.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:35 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks, I may not be as detailed but plan on doing the same thing with mine when I get her, and had a base Stingray and 2014 V6 Mustang I used to DD to compare
Old 03-20-2015, 10:48 AM
bradgto
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Thats pretty good.

You might check it the old fashion way. Just to compare against the computer. - filling it up until the automatic shut off kicks in at the gas pump, go back to that same gas pump refill, then do the math.

Most folks have found regardless of make or model of car the auto manufacturers are a bit optimistic on what the computer displays.

My daily driver is a kia sorento AWD(2011). When the Computer displays 24 or 25 - it usually is 23 or 24 when i use the above method.
my C6Z - is also 1 or 2 miles less then what the DIC displays.
Great idea.. Didn't even think of that.. Guess I'm too trusting of computers..
Old 03-20-2015, 11:17 AM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be measuring mine by SPG not MPG (Smiles per Gallon) :-)
Old 03-20-2015, 11:34 AM
tpapablo
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to post that information. I now know I have a defective car. Picked up mine on Monday and I am averaging only 11 mpg.

Sure does get up to speed quickly though.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 PM
Vegas Panton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default mpg

That compares to mine on a trip from Las Vegas to San Diego and back--To include some stop & go traffic and some city driving. Not sure how EPA got 22 mpg for highway driving? The Z06 is certainly capable of better mpg than 22 until the increased drag from the aero packages starts to kick in. I notice a significant decrease in instant mpg above 80 mph. Bottom line. We did not buy the Z06 for it's mpg. But it is nice to get a decent mpg when you are out on a road trip. A 650 HP car that can get mid 20's mpg
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2015, 12:46 PM
repo czar
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 105 Posts

This was not boring as I am very interested. I was disappointed my Z06 went to V4 running a lot less than my 2014 Z51 Stingray. It goes to V4 only when going downhill as you said.
I look forward to your data on the return trip.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:01 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I don't want to know....my DD is a Volkswagen Passat. Turbo diesel....I can get 800 miles to a tank and easily 50mpg......I didn't buy this car to worry about MPG, that is what the DD is for..... :-)
Old 03-20-2015, 01:32 PM
flatout vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the v4 comes on a lot more when in E mode and in 6th gear that in 7th gear. I have been trying to see what's the best gas mileage, in E mode in 6th or in sport and 7th.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:47 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
I don't want to know....my DD is a Volkswagen Passat. Turbo diesel....I can get 800 miles to a tank and easily 50mpg......I didn't buy this car to worry about MPG, that is what the DD is for..... :-)
Understand how your feel.

However MPG does make a difference in range between fill ups on a road trip. It helps if your car can cruise safely for long distances at highway speeds without having to refuel. It can be frustrating if the car needs to stop before I get tired, need relief, or need food.

It’s a minor thing but having long legs makes the car that more enjoyable and useful.
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2015, 01:54 PM
oldfoggy
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, so everybody knows how to go fast and the performance is primary.

But, who has gotten the best milage over a reasonable distance, show it

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ies/woohoo.gif

SOOOO. Here's mine. I picked my 2014 C7 Z51 up at Peterson Chev. in Boise IDAHO. On the drive back to the SFO Bay area I recorded the following:

32.4.pdf
Old 03-20-2015, 01:57 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by bradgto
Great idea.. Didn't even think of that.. Guess I'm too trusting of computers..
You will probably find the car is accurate.

Your trusting of computers isnt the problem. The pump has a computer and the calculator you use to do the math is a computer.

Folks assume the gas pumps are all accurate but in reality they often error (ever so slightly) to the vendors favor. That 15 gallons you put in my only be 14.95. I know they are calibrated and checked but they are no more accurate than your cars computer and likely less so.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:04 PM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

On Star mobile app
Old 03-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,382 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Do not under estimate the negative impact of wet roads. That can impact mileage by quite a lot. It greatly increases rolling resistance.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:22 PM
bradgto
Racer

Originally Posted by Racer X
Do not under estimate the negative impact of wet roads. That can impact mileage by quite a lot. It greatly increases rolling resistance.
Ahh didn't think of that.. Adds another trip to Atlanta.. Dry roads... So many variables... Need to be careful or this could consume me like some data collection does... Trust me this task has nothing to do with if I care about mpg.. Not a big deal to me.. But it's something I can log and collect data on..

Even crap like the parking lot turnover at a movie theatre and if they plan on movie ending times with start times so the parking lot always has front row spots open makes me mind go crazy... Lol.. (the sticky with the von tracking makes me happy.. If I had that spreadsheet.. I would spend hours analyzing it..) Damn engineer in me.. Lol

Get notified of new replies

To My 1st MPG test

Old 03-20-2015, 05:56 PM
oldfoggy
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

2014 Z51 C7, Picked the car up in Boise ID and drove it home to SFO. Nothing scientific, just cruising the Louis & Clark Trail to Reno, then 80 over the hill and home. I was amazed and was glad I had a witness. 60 - 80 mostly cruise. This was from Fernley NV to SFO. OMG
Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Vegas Panton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Not in a Z06

Originally Posted by oldfoggy
2014 Z51 C7, Picked the car up in Boise ID and drove it home to SFO. Nothing scientific, just cruising the Louis & Clark Trail to Reno, then 80 over the hill and home. I was amazed and was glad I had a witness. 60 - 80 mostly cruise. This was from Fernley NV to SFO. OMG
Won't do that in a Z06 no matter how hard you try.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:22 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

All downhill? Lol

Quick Reply: My 1st MPG test