C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

No mid-engine Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 AM
mfasano727
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NineBall
Who said anything about "offroad"? There are plenty of things that can be done to make things lighter and faster for the track enthusiasts. It doesn't even need to add more power, 650 is more than enough on a track.

I'm sure others could think of other ideas here. Make this model of the car car less of a GT car, more of a performance focused car. They don't have to sell a ton of them, these costs are subsidized by all the base C7's being sold anyways. Just like the Z/28 was never meant to be some huge seller. It was built because they could build it.

You could make these changes yourself cheeper than GM could deliver them. Even if you factored in the value of the warranty and resale, (less resale value on mods.) you would at least break even. Some things GM could do that would be difficult for the owner to have done is gearing optimized for the track. changes in suspension geometry or tune if MRC, and making the chassis stiffer and/or lighter. Making the engine NA might be a problem, but there are after market alternatives already. Can you think of any thing else that would be a difficult change the owner could make.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,382 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802

Couldn't have stated the issue any better. The key is it would alter what the 'Corvette' is. If you want a GM mid engine you have the Fiero, see how that turned out.
The Fiero failed because people expected a sports car and got a commuter car. People didn't want a two seat commuter car. As a sports car it had several failings notably the original suspension. the rear was the front end of a citation and I think the front end was from a Chevette. Neither known for their handling prowess.

So they had a mismatch between market expectation and execution.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:16 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mfasano727
You could make these changes yourself cheeper than GM could deliver them. Even if you factored in the value of the warranty and resale, (less resale value on mods.) you would at least break even. Some things GM could do that would be difficult for the owner to have done is gearing optimized for the track. changes in suspension geometry or tune if MRC, and making the chassis stiffer and/or lighter. Making the engine NA might be a problem, but there are after market alternatives already. Can you think of any thing else that would be a difficult change the owner could make.
Agreed. But then I could just say "COPO Camaro" and make people realize that the same company built 3 versions of some factory race car that could be purchased. Put those same people that made the COPO and Z/28 on the C7Z special projects team, see what they can dream up. It might be spectacular.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:21 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
The Fiero failed because people expected a sports car and got a commuter car. People didn't want a two seat commuter car. As a sports car it had several failings notably the original suspension. the rear was the front end of a citation and I think the front end was from a Chevette. Neither known for their handling prowess.

So they had a mismatch between market expectation and execution.
86 Fiero (.84g stock on original tires, .86g on more modern rubber) An 89 Corvette made .89 Gs with much bigger, and wider rubber. For that matter that's right in line with a Gen 3 F body. Which was described as one of the best handling car C&D ever driven at the time. That's hardly a slouch in cornering for that era.

Actually the Fiero's handling and braking wasn't the problem.

It was the choice of two lumps that it had for an engine. GM repeatedly tried to sabotage the Fiero to protect other brands in the lineup. There were turbo 3.8 concept cars that would kick the living snot out of the corvette, and camaro.

Unfortunately, GM decided that they should kill the Fiero by saddling it with a 2.8 V6 (the third worst engine GM ever built in my opinion) and a 2.5 L4 (the second or first worst engine GM ever built in my opinion..it's kind of a toss up between the 2.5 L4 or the 307 V8...) rather than upping the game of the Vette and Camaro.

Last edited by MavsAK; 03-13-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
I don't know anyone who is a Corvette fan that is anxious for a mid or rear engine Vette.
You do now.

If Ford can do the GT, GM can do a mid-engine car, too.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Disagree. /Ford GT
One huge difference, the Ford GT is arguably the best looking sports/performance of all time while the 911s are just stale and boring.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 881 Likes on 451 Posts

Aren't rumoured pricing for a Ford GT around the price of a Aventador? 300-400K?
Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

One huge difference, the Ford GT is arguably the best looking sports/performance of all time while the 911s are just stale and boring.
In your opinion - the pricing, both new and resale, says that there are thousands who disagree with you. The 911 is not the sleekest of designs, but it is iconic and well loved by many.

But back to the point is that if Ford can make a GT, then GM can make a mid-engine car.

And if profitability and sales volume - not car enthusiasm - are the driving factors, GM should simply kill the Corvette, eliminate all the associated engineering and production facilities, and make more SUV and utility cars, just like Toyota.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Let me be more specific about what I disagreed with.

The wine and cheese crowd that Porsche caters to likely would not consider a product so beneath their discriminating tastes anyway.
Had you mentioned pre-2004, that Ford was planning on offering a $150K sports car, the vast majority of enthusiasts would have laughed. Only the diehard Ford fanboys would have said it was a great idea.

Well, Ford proved us wrong. People adore the Ford GT, look at the values continue to rise.

I just meant that GM is capable of the same thing.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:59 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keagan
Aren't rumoured pricing for a Ford GT around the price of a Aventador? 300-400K?
Yes. And if they make 250 a year I bet they sell above that number. Over the past year the market absorbed about 2000 P1s, 918s and LaFerraris and there is no reason the GT can't be near that level of performance if they don't kowtow to the "must be hybrid" mentality and use carbon fiber for its intended purpose, light weight. Make a 700 hp car at 2700 lbs and modern aero and it could be amazing
Old 03-13-2015, 12:11 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

I agree with what many of you have been saying about Corvette's future:

I have said on this board many times Corvette should be its own brand with a full line of cars.

I would suggest maybe 40 dealers nationwide, all of whom have great customer service, nicer facilities, and at least 2 Corvette techs; and a GT Corvette front engine, mid-engine GT and mid-engined track car, which will be the prototype for the ALMS/Tudor car and for customer turn-key race cars, the way Porsche does it (aka, the Porsche 911 Cup car, and Porsche actually makes money selling turn-key race cars).

I would love to see GM really take Porsche head-on and meet their competition at several price points, front- and mid-engined, and on track both as a factory team and as a maker of privateer race cars.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:16 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree with a lot of posters on here. I think the C7 will have a long run, longer than the C6 even. The car has very modern looks and has upped its refinement game to match and exceed its competition.

I also think they will make quite a few variants of it, including a grand sport luxury touring type version, and a 1LE type NA pure track version.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,574 Likes on 863 Posts

They still could be doing a mid-engine corvette but Tadge at this stage will never admit to it. If they do come out with one in a few years and people say wait a minute you said they wasn't going to be one? Tadge could just say "I lied".

I like to maybe see an all wheel drive Corvette.... That should produce some interesting 1/4 mile times.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:10 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
I agree with what many of you have been saying about Corvette's future: I have said on this board many times Corvette should be its own brand with a full line of cars. I would suggest maybe 40 dealers nationwide, all of whom have great customer service, nicer facilities, and at least 2 Corvette techs; and a GT Corvette front engine, mid-engine GT and mid-engined track car, which will be the prototype for the ALMS/Tudor car and for customer turn-key race cars, the way Porsche does it (aka, the Porsche 911 Cup car, and Porsche actually makes money selling turn-key race cars). I would love to see GM really take Porsche head-on and meet their competition at several price points, front- and mid-engined, and on track both as a factory team and as a maker of privateer race cars.
Spot on!👍
Old 03-14-2015, 12:23 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

The Z28 from a sales standpoint has not done well. They dealers I talk to don't want any more there hard to sell and have to be discounted. I predicted early on that the Z28 wouldn't sell well a $76K Camaro with no amenities. Chevy won't build a stripped out race Corvette not enough market for it.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:14 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if changing to a mid engine design would be good for the Corvette. Everyone saw the reaction when GM just changed the shape of the tail light, can you imagine if they moved the engine to the middle.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:28 PM
yenko boy
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTEZL1001
The Z28 from a sales standpoint has not done well. They dealers I talk to don't want any more there hard to sell and have to be discounted. I predicted early on that the Z28 wouldn't sell well a $76K Camaro with no amenities. Chevy won't build a stripped out race Corvette not enough market for it.
This really isn't about Chevy making a stripped out vette but a high end vette to compete with the 458, McLaren 650 ect. Low production crazy performance, People will buy. As nice as the c7Z06 is if this is Chevy's tier 1 vette for this Gen they should have pushed the performance envelope a little harder or at least did more to keep the weight down.

Get notified of new replies

To No mid-engine Corvette?

Old 03-14-2015, 04:39 PM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

Of course Tadge has to deny the claims of a mid-engine ZR1.

As I said in another thread, I was on a business trip and some GM engineers were sitting in front of me. They were talking about the mid-engine frame and the "Zora" name.

Yes, it's coming.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:40 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

I disagree with comparisons of a track optimized C7 to a track optimized Camaro. Keeping all things the same except the players (Camaro/Corvette) I'm confident a track optimized C7 would have sold out with a limited production run. Although the Z28 is a very good track car it is still a $76k Camaro which is great for Camaro lovers or the Jay Lenos of the world. That is why the Z28 sales numbers are less than hoped for, period. With the same task starting with a C7 Corvette the demographics are different and literally comparing apples to oranges on both the business and performance end.

I'd like to know how a 1LT C7 Z51 would perform against Z28 with sticky tires, aero and better rotors/pads....
Old 03-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Wasn't the C5 FRC an attempt at a stripped down Vette? How well did that work. Millenials and younger consider OHV/V8 low Tech and unsophisticated. GM needs to do something else for them, the Vette isn't it. I bought my first Vette(new) at 22. No way anyone can do that now.
So Corvette needs to stand on its own, go upmarket and proliferate what is arguably the most recognized brand in this country. GM has to capitalize on that.

Quick Reply: No mid-engine Corvette?