C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Shark Grey Colormatched Fender Extensions and Smoked Out Markers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:14 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks good! Was it a pain to pull out the side markers/reflectors? I've been meaning to pull them to get tinted but always get sidetracked.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 PM
charliebrown266
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 109 Posts

that's a beautiful looking Z06!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,645 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by BigNastyZO7
Looks good! Was it a pain to pull out the side markers/reflectors? I've been meaning to pull them to get tinted but always get sidetracked.
Like I said in the OP I had the dealer do it during scheduled service so I don't know the details of how it's done. From what I have seen in the 'how to' threads the side markers are not that difficult because you just pull the liners to get to them. The rear fascia is apparently not difficult to remove to swap the reflectors.

I'm guessing the fender extensions are a little more tricky depending on which state aero is on the vehicle. If it's stage one without any spats i'm guessing it's relatively easy. Stage three like mine are going to be the more complicated. But again, I'm just guessing.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:46 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Overall it looks good, but there's quite a bit going on up front: smoked reflectors, painted extentions, and carbon flash. If the canards were removed there might be a more cohesive look. Otherwise, it looks good. Maybe once the clear reflectors become available it will provide a nice contrast.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:50 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Like I said in the OP I had the dealer do it during scheduled service so I don't know the details of how it's done. From what I have seen in the 'how to' threads the side markers are not that difficult because you just pull the liners to get to them. The rear fascia is apparently not difficult to remove to swap the reflectors.

I'm guessing the fender extensions are a little more tricky depending on which state aero is on the vehicle. If it's stage one without any spats i'm guessing it's relatively easy. Stage three like mine are going to be the more complicated. But again, I'm just guessing.
LOL I'm sorry i guess I was just paying attention to the pics and not the text...
Old 03-09-2015, 10:53 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Overall it looks good, but there's quite a bit going on up front: smoked reflectors, painted extentions, and carbon flash. If the canards were removed there might be a more cohesive look. Otherwise, it looks good. Maybe once the clear reflectors become available it will provide a nice contrast.
To be fair there was a lot more messy randomness going on before with amber markers and textured plastic neither of which match anything else on the vehicle. I obviously like it like this but I'm sure that other folks will prefer the clear markers. With so many possible combinations of aero, colors, and textures there's a way for everyone to express their personal style. This just happens to be mine.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:55 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best looking 2015 Z yet......

Just what i plan on doing to mine when i get it......

Actually in Aus, its law that we have to black out the side markers, can't have them for some reason.... fine with me ;-)

I will also be dropping mine an inch lower though .... should really look sweet then.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:24 AM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Those really look GREAT!!!!

Mine are off as of yesterday and are now being painted Carbon Flash. Taking the spats off is a real pain in the butt. The double faced tape makes it a pain for removal but even more of a pain if your reusing the same as the clean up is difficult. If your getting new ones and having them painted makes it much easier. I have sanded mine and have a couple coats of plastic primer on them. Hoping to get finished next week as I get time. Have already sanded/painted and installed the CF mud flaps.

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Car looks good and what you have done has turned out well

One question, when I look at the front wheels it appears as if the smoked out front lens continues around the wheel well as if it is a narrow black stripe inside of where you had the spats painted. Is this an optical illusion?.............. or something you had done?

I really like how you have the spats painted shark grey........ it helps to remove the rubicon look and is definitely an upscale move

Be prepared for copy cats (the ultimate compliment).
Old 03-10-2015, 12:47 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Bmbarney
Have already sanded/painted and installed the CF mud flaps.
Those look really good ... I've been debating whether to do those as well, but I can't decide whether to paint the carbon flash to match the side skirts or SG to match the fender extensions. Without a clear idea I'm just leaving them off for now.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:58 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Mean simply Mean
Old 03-10-2015, 03:13 PM
mnavarro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely looks better! It would be cool to see if somebody could make a spat that blends up into the edge of the fender to make it look like it's genuinely extending the fender and make it look seamless, rather than looking like the fender liner is pupping out over the tire.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:33 PM
ccamp44
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So I finally got around to having my colormatched front fender extensions installed, as well as both sets of smoked out side markers and rear fascia reflectors. Please don't ask me how to do it cause I had the dealership do the swap during my 500 mile service.

All parts were ordered, painted and smoked through my bud at oempartsdirectinc@gmail.com, so instead of sending me pms asking me where I got them just shoot him an email and he'll hook you up. (this is just a courtesy referral, I get nada out of it)

To the pics:

Some befores and afters ...

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

The smoked side markers and reflectors are a no brainer and they look awesome to me. I also really like the colormatched fender extensions but my eyes have to get used to them ... there is a small part of me that wonders is they would look better in carbon flash. But they definitely look ten thousand times better than the unpainted textured plastic.

Keep in mind that close up pic of the front wheel well if you're thinking of going the painted carbon flash route and also planning to have smoked markers ... right now with the SG extensions it looks correct and creates the contrast between the side marker and the spat, if you go CF paint then it will be a lot more darkness as you will have a black spat, black fender extension, black side marker sequence. Hope that makes sense.

Anyhoot, I'm going to keep them SG for now and see how I like it moving forward.

Cheers!
We have the same car... really like the smoked markers! Been emailing with Robbie today.

I'm thinking of leaving the back reflectors red... 1) It keeps them functional. 2) It ties in the lil bit of red we have on the cars (Calipers and Corvette Logo)

Thoughts??
Old 03-10-2015, 05:40 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by ccamp44
We have the same car... really like the smoked markers! Been emailing with Robbie today.

I'm thinking of leaving the back reflectors red... 1) It keeps them functional. 2) It ties in the lil bit of red we have on the cars (Calipers and Corvette Logo)

Thoughts??
I think that makes sense if you want to emphasize the red contrasts on the vehicle. Plus you can always start that way, see how it looks and feels in person, and add the smoked reflectors later if you want.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:05 PM
VettNoob
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

WOW, she is a beauty!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

You nailed it. Great job.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Great color and love the pics...
Old 03-10-2015, 10:44 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

how hard is the removal process or the tinted side markers to get the new ones installed?

Get notified of new replies

To Shark Grey Colormatched Fender Extensions and Smoked Out Markers

Old 03-11-2015, 12:20 AM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Fender extensions

there is a small part of me that wonders is they would look better in carbon flash.
You have a overall good eye for what works or looks the best. However sometimes one can get carried away and go to far like that extra brush stroke that ruins a painting.

I would change the front gray fender extensions to the carbon flash and as suggested by another add the four carbon flash painted splash guards to match. It would go with the front fender side air vents, cars rear end, side markers, etc.. IMO

Oh, and will make the car look even more BA.

EDIT: Step outside the box, here is something that would get everyone looking How about a parachute in case your brakes fail?

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-11-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Just a heads up ...

My bud at oempartsdirectinc@gmail.com only has one set left of the smoked out markers/reflectors and two sets left of the carbon flash fender extensions.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:25 PM
DrackVB
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Your car just keeps looking better and better. Please save a build sheet as may just have to copy it when I finally get mine

Quick Reply: Shark Grey Colormatched Fender Extensions and Smoked Out Markers