C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Opti coat

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:32 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Opti coat

Just wanted to see everyone's thoughts & experiences with opti coat. My buddy from high school has a detail business that one of their services is applying opti coat. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:16 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on a 2014 BMW M5. It is an excellent product. A good friend here in Houston is an excellent detailer/applier of this stuff. I love mine.

Just make sure not to get the parts of your car Opti-coated that you plan to have "clear bra'd". The two don't get along very well...
Old 03-08-2015, 03:34 PM
NYROBZ06
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

What about getting the areas clear wrapped first then Opti Coated on top?
if you had to choose one, the Opti coat or clear wrapped, which one would you choose?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:58 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Originally Posted by NYROBZ06
What about getting the areas clear wrapped first then Opti Coated on top?
if you had to choose one, the Opti coat or clear wrapped, which one would you choose?
I prefer opticoat, but understand that on certain spots on the car, you need clear bra (nose, hood, mirrors, behind wheels) as those areas are susceptible to debris that will chip the paint or mar the clear coat. You need the clear protection there.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is NO Opti-Coat dealer in Omaha which is a real shame.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:04 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Just wanted to see everyone's thoughts & experiences with opti coat. My buddy from high school has a detail business that one of their services is applying opti coat. Thanks in advance!!
My last two Corvettes were Rejex babies, but I had the Z06 Opticoated. I don't see or feel much difference between the two, but the Opticoat will last considerably longer. I was applying Rejex twice a year but Opticoat is said to have a two-year lifetime.

One or the other is a necessity on the wheels unless you want to clean off the brake dust every other day.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:58 PM
rkolkmeier
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SidePipeMusic
I have it on a 2014 BMW M5. It is an excellent product. A good friend here in Houston is an excellent detailer/applier of this stuff. I love mine.

Just make sure not to get the parts of your car Opti-coated that you plan to have "clear bra'd". The two don't get along very well...
What's is the name of your friends business? I too live in Houston area. I want to look into having my Z coated.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:40 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Originally Posted by rkolkmeier
What's is the name of your friends business? I too live in Houston area. I want to look into having my Z coated.
Gulf Coast Auto Shield. John Gray. He does most of his work inside Custom Car Stereo off of the Southwest Freeway. He does fantastic work. Tell him the "Garbage Man" sent you...
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM
NYROBZ06
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe one of the ceramic coating manufacturers have a product with a 5 year warranty
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

i had cquartz nano done to my car and it is fantatic. washed it for the first time today and most dirt just washed off, rest fell off with little effort from wash mitt
Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

So you suggest clear coat & then opti coat? The opti coat won't stand up to debris chips on its own?
Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

So you suggest clear coat & then opti coat? The opti coat won't stand up to debris chips on its own?
you should have a detailer prep the paint, do any Xpel or whatever you want, then do an opticoat
Old 03-08-2015, 05:55 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Opticoat can easily be applied by anyone. If you can wax your car then you can Opticoat it. I have it on all my cars. Great product.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:14 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

You can have a clear film like Xpel Ultimate placed on the car and then have Opticoat applied right over the top of it. I would just let the film 'cure' first so that all of the water, bubbles, etc are gone. I had this done on my '13 M5 where the whole front clip was protected with Xpel Ultimate, and then a short while later I had the whole car Opti-coated. Results were excellent.

Since this is a ceramic sealant, IMHO you need to take great care in having it applied. In fact iirc, there is a commercial and a consumer product, the commercial product being more hard wearing and having greater requirements to apply such as maintaining a certain temperature for a period of time after install, etc.

Bish
Old 03-08-2015, 06:53 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Originally Posted by dapopa9
Opticoat can easily be applied by anyone. If you can wax your car then you can Opticoat it. I have it on all my cars. Great product.
But it is not the same product as the commercial version...
Old 03-08-2015, 06:58 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Opti is better than the factory clear coat alone for sure, but can't withstand chips/debris like a clear bra. It will be better with acidic bird droppings and things like that, things that damage your factory clear coat if not cleaned quickly.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:27 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Just looked up xpel ultimate, is everyone wrapping the whole car?

Get notified of new replies

To Opti coat

Old 03-08-2015, 07:38 PM
285ferrari
Instructor

This what you guys are referring to?

Amazon.com: Optimum Opti-Seal - 8 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: Optimum Opti-Seal - 8 oz: Automotive
Old 03-08-2015, 07:40 PM
285ferrari
Instructor

Originally Posted by SidePipeMusic

Can you expand on this? I got my car last week, brought it home, cleaned well, waxed and then Opti Coated it. I will be getting 2/3 of the entire car wrapped in Xpel on Tuesday
Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

Originally Posted by thebishman
You can have a clear film like Xpel Ultimate placed on the car and then have Opticoat applied right over the top of it. I would just let the film 'cure' first so that all of the water, bubbles, etc are gone. I had this done on my '13 M5 where the whole front clip was protected with Xpel Ultimate, and then a short while later I had the whole car Opti-coated. Results were excellent.

Since this is a ceramic sealant, IMHO you need to take great care in having it applied. In fact iirc, there is a commercial and a consumer product, the commercial product being more hard wearing and having greater requirements to apply such as maintaining a certain temperature for a period of time after install, etc.

Bish
^All of this is correct

Quick Reply: Opti coat