C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

NCM drive home

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:38 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Default NCM drive home

i just got home last night after driving for 6 days from NCM pick up to socal. it was a harrowing experience. before flying to Nashville last Wednesday, the NWS EDD forecast showed no snow, but so light rain from bowling green to la. once we entered Arkansas, there was blowing snow and snow and ice covered roads.

my average speed for the first 900 mi was 42mph. at one point, on interstate 40 west of little rock, the car began to slide. the road was straight and level with snow covering black ice. the z06 was sliding toward the inside guard rail. i tried light steering correction, but it continued to slide closer to the guardrail. when it reached about a 30 degree angle, the stability control took over. i let go of the steering wheel and did not touch the brakes. the "nanies" straightened the car out just in time to avoid hitting the guard rail.

the z has the z07 option with cup2 tires. i knew in advance that they are not intended for snow, which is why i waited an additional week for a clear forecast. so much for weather forecasting; we had snow, black ice and rain most of the way. at one point in ok city, we stayed another day waiting for the weather to clear. it did some, but i knew we would not make it through new Mexico on the 40. we headed due south from ok city all the way to san antonio to avoid the worst of the storm and pick up the 10 toward az.

i don't know how much better the base tires would have been in the snow. i am sure they would have helped some, but there were wrecked vehicles all along the 40. we stopped counting after reaching triple digits. many were suvs and pick ups, some having m&s or all terrain tires. it was just a bad time to be driving, vette or not.

despite putting tracwrap over the bumper, part of the hood and the fairing, the z did suffer some windshield and paint nicks. i wish i had put some wrap on the mirrors, since both have some nicks that went through the clear.

here is one pic while in the snow. i will add some with it washed in a follow on post.

needless to say, i would not recommend NCM delivery in the winter if you have any distance to drive home
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 01:50 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Nice to hear you made it home safely. I've driven in Ice storms and I understand what you experienced.
Now that you home enjoy you beautiful C7Z.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 AM
SGZ062LZ
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
i just got home last night after driving for 6 days from NCM pick up to socal. it was a harrowing experience. before flying to Nashville last Wednesday, the NWS EDD forecast showed no snow, but so light rain from bowling green to la. once we entered Arkansas, there was blowing snow and snow and ice covered roads.

my average speed for the first 900 mi was 42mph. at one point, on interstate 40 west of little rock, the car began to slide. the road was straight and level with snow covering black ice. the z06 was sliding toward the inside guard rail. i tried light steering correction, but it continued to slide closer to the guardrail. when it reached about a 30 degree angle, the stability control took over. i let go of the steering wheel and did not touch the brakes. the "nanies" straightened the car out just in time to avoid hitting the guard rail.

the z has the z07 option with cup2 tires. i knew in advance that they are not intended for snow, which is why i waited an additional week for a clear forecast. so much for weather forecasting; we had snow, black ice and rain most of the way. at one point in ok city, we stayed another day waiting for the weather to clear. it did some, but i knew we would not make it through new Mexico on the 40. we headed due south from ok city all the way to san antonio to avoid the worst of the storm and pick up the 10 toward az.

i don't know how much better the base tires would have been in the snow. i am sure they would have helped some, but there were wrecked vehicles all along the 40. we stopped counting after reaching triple digits. many were suvs and pick ups, some having m&s or all terrain tires. it was just a bad time to be driving, vette or not.

despite putting tracwrap over the bumper, part of the hood and the fairing, the z did suffer some windshield and paint nicks. i wish i had put some wrap on the mirrors, since both have some nicks that went through the clear.

here is one pic while in the snow. i will add some with it washed in a follow on post.

needless to say, i would not recommend NCM delivery in the winter if you have any distance to drive home
Glad you made it! That was my greatest fear when I was waiting to drive my Z07 home to St. Louis from the Museum on December 29th. Luckily I had 39 degree dry weather that day. I just replaced my Cup 2 tires with Michelin Pilot Super Sports just for peace of mind. I sold the Cups to a race guy for $1300. I wanted all the Z07 package had to offer but the tires were just a bit too risky for my liking. Enjoy your beast!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

yikes! must have been sweating bullets for a while...
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'll bet the pucker factor got high looking at that guard rail. Glad you made it ok.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:00 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Must have been a very long six days. Sorry to hear about the paint and glass damage but at least you didn't wreck it. Most people will never notice the chips but unfortunately you'll probably see them every time you look at the car. Congrats on your new Z.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:32 PM
deeplateapex
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
Must have been a very long six days. Sorry to hear about the paint and glass damage but at least you didn't wreck it. Most people will never notice the chips but unfortunately you'll probably see them every time you look at the car. Congrats on your new Z.
I pick up my Z07 next Tuesday at NCM hopefully the day the world will put Old Man Winter back in the retirement home! I have been fearing exactly what you encountered. And they didn't offer you snow chains, shame!

The Amelia Island Concours saved me by being scheduled next weekend!
Congrats on the driving heroics, you can race tracks for a lifetime, but your event certainly equals the total risk management all the members here have. And you thought BG was in the South?
Stone chips from the anti-ice trash must have hurt each hit.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:47 PM
flatout vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy what an experience. I an glad it was not me. I'll bet you were happy to be home. Good luck from here on.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That did not sound like fun at all. I am picking my car up in late april and driving from Maryland back to Chicago, hopefully the weather is much better.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Wow, glad you made it home safe, I would not have the nerve to do what you did. Best of luck with the new ride!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I got puckered up just reading your post.......I bet you were never so glad to be home!
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

If your not religious you should be in church this sunday. Its a freaking miracle you pulled this off!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 PM
EBSDallas
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like a white knuckled drive all the way back.

The dealer called me in December and said we'd be looking at a mid February delivery, that it was time to come in and settle on all the options. I crossed off R8C because I didn't want to drive it home on those tires in winter.

Your post convinced me I made the right choice.

EBS
Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

I am driving to Billings Montana at the end of this month to pick up my new Z. I hope winter is over by then.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 221 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Wow scary trip. I know that section of I40 that runs from about Memphis to little rock is horrible with truck traffic under normal circumstances....throw in the construction and snow/ice....in a brand new z06, I'd have had to change my pants! Luckily it was well above freezing when we drove back to Oklahoma from picking up our z06 on 12-23.

Btw, love your cars color scheme, looks familiar

Congrats!
Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Default cleaned up

now the Z is completely cleaned up. i took it to a local Xpel installer today to have film added to the bumper, front air dam, mirrors, door sills, and behind the front fenders. they were also nice enough to get some blade silver touch up paint to apply to the one nick in the bumper near the hood and to the tiny nicks in the mirrors before applying the film. i don't know if most buyers are aware that the factory applies film in front of the rear fenders.

i stopped along the way for the mandatory 500 mi oil change in little rock, ak. it only took about an hour and we were on our way again. i noticed that oil was spilled on the hood and there was some near the passenger's door latch access point. minor issue, but shows lack of concern on the part of the oil change guy. this dealership, Bale Chevrolet, had over 700 cars on their lot and had Z06 trained techs. within the first 30 miles, i smelled oil. the oil tank on the Z is close to the fender so any spilled oil could not drip on the exhaust manifold. this smell continued for the rest of the trip. there was no oil on the ground and i checked each morning by moving the car away from the snow covered ground. the dipstick showed about 1.5 " over the maximum fill level in the crosshatched area.

i spoke with the dealer's service manager during the drive back and insisted he ask if an overfilled crankcase would cause an oil smell and cause any engine damage. the manual specifically says that low or overfilled oil can cause engine damage and that you should have it checked by chevy dealership professional. i even had the manager contact his Z06 field rep who said it should not cause a problem. the manager said that i should find another dealer along the way to check it. i did, and they found no leaks. when i asked about the overfilled tank, the agreed that it was overfilled somewhat and offered to drain the oil and refill for $180 since it would not be covered by warranty. the dealership that overfilled it and spilled oil on my new car refused to pay for another oil change. the oil smell is still there and i am going to raise it on my race ramps tomorrow and see if i can find anything. if not, i will pump the excess oil out of the tank to see if that helps. in the 480 prior to the oil change, i did not smell oil. since it has a dry sump, i don't understand how excess oil could get whipped up by the crankshaft and possibly force some oil past the rings.

the dealership does not use its trained techs to change oil, just some careless flunky who knows nothing. since they don't carry synthetic oil in bulk, he had to have poured about 2 more quarts after the full line. it is much easier to see this happening wtih a bulk oil dispenser.
Attached Images     
Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I live in area where we get 15 to 30 feet of snow a year. I can drive my Vette 7 months a year, at best. Except one time, I have always managed to get my Vette stored before snow came, and that one time, when I only had 5 miles to drive, it was hellish and scary. Our first snow of the year is usually wet and heavy, but most of the winter is extremely cold and the snow become more drivable. My winter vehicle is a 4WD Silverado Crew with dedicated snow tires. I love driving it in the snow.

I can imagine how hellish your long trip was and I am glad to hear that you and your car made it in one piece. Your pictures are great! Below is a picture of the road I live on early this winter.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts
Default ahhh hell no

This is pretty much my definition of a nightmare!

Funny thing...i had just posted earlier i canceled my NCM delivery due to the crazy weather.

Get notified of new replies

To NCM drive home

Quick Reply: NCM drive home