C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 vs. McLaren P1.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 AM
sting ya
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly the P1 is in a different league than a corvette
Old 02-17-2015, 07:25 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Welp that settles it, looks like I need another ~300hp . . .
Old 02-17-2015, 07:53 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Z06 base price $78,000.
Add Z07.... $86,000.

That my friends is a bargain. I don't care if you loaded up the non-performance extras to make it $105,000.... that stuff doesn't count.

Does the McLaren have the comfort features available similar to the Vette? If so how much?

So for those of us who could justify the funds to get the Z, this video makes us quite happy. For those who thought they were buying and $86,000 McLaren... not sure what to say.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:56 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
Correct. He was braking really early and taking it easy in the corners. He was also super timid coming up behind and passing other cars. People who think the Z06 is like naturally twice as fast in corners = lol. No one wants to spin out a million dollar super car. The only time he pushed it was when it was safe, in the straight.

With pro's at full tilt, after about the first 3-4 turns the Z06 wouldn't have seen the P1 again until the Z06 got lapped.
these are my thoughts.

that P1 is an incredible car, great vid.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by sting ya
Honestly the P1 is in a different league than a corvette
Exactly. It's the difference between firing a bullet and throwing it.

Jimmy
Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Dre01SS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by webcarconnection
I believe that with one of the "700whp packgs" that offer our supporting vendors it will be another story
I think you're being facetious, but nonetheless that'd likely exacerbate the heat problem more than anything.

The Macca is in a different league/purpose car - Fun video and good driving OP; I'd love to do COTA one day
Old 02-17-2015, 09:37 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Watching that video gives a lot to the Z06. You could buy 12 Z06's for the price of that car.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:01 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Great to see the P1 on track, a truly remarkable car. With that said your video and many others of C7z on track demonstrate factory programming keeping engine performance "in check" for 100k powertrain warranty. If your video was filmed in 60* F temps I wonder how much more power may be pulled in 85-95* Texas summers? Does the ECU incrementally pull more power as temps rise and if so when will the car go into "limp home mode" or shut down? It will be interesting to see what GM has planned for upgrading cooling system next model year.

With the obvious said, the C7z is an amazing car and wish I owned one. IMO the design team nailed everything except the power unit and cooling. For those who wish to track this car and push it hard there is the aftermarket to supply cooling upgrades and for those that purchase it for the street it's perfect right off the showroom floor
Old 02-17-2015, 10:13 AM
thusly
Intermediate

Originally Posted by West Coast Exotics
Looks like there was a Carrera GT that spun out at 30 seconds into the video, did he spin out multiple times that day?
Sadly, it was a CGT at T13; he had a rough day on the track as I saw him spin twice, and then later put the rear end in a tire wall....

I have a CGT and am overly careful rolling throttle on tight turns. The mid-engine design combined with quick revs/power of the car accentuates the rotation of the car significantly. In those situations, it is extremely difficult/impossible to catch.

For the poor guy with the CGT entering the front straight, he turned and applied power - I had never seen a car rotate (360) so quickly. It was also a damp track.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega
Correct. He was braking really early and taking it easy in the corners. He was also super timid coming up behind and passing other cars. People who think the Z06 is like naturally twice as fast in corners = lol. No one wants to spin out a million dollar super car. The only time he pushed it was when it was safe, in the straight.

With pro's at full tilt, after about the first 3-4 turns the Z06 wouldn't have seen the P1 again until the Z06 got lapped.
Exactly this^^. and it takes absolutely nothing away from the vette.
Cool vid.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:27 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hootowlc7
Watching that video gives a lot to the Z06. You could buy 12 Z06's for the price of that car.
Problem is, they'd all be Corvettes.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Problem is, they'd all be Corvettes.
True
Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by descartesfool
My take is that the P1 driver was running the car much, much slower than its capability, by braking early and even too often, and going very slowly and tentatively through the corners. There is no way the Z06 can come remotely close to a P1 driven at full tilt on track. P1 makes 600 kg (1300 lbs) of downforce at 160 mph with active aero giving low drag in the straights and has a combined power of over 900 HP and weighs just over 3000 lbs dry. You have to just admire the thing and not think a $100k car can keep up with it. I think the OP has it right, P1 is a fabulous thing to behold on track. That blue one is gorgeous.
...there was a lot of performance left on the table with the P1. I think the gap would be much larger had it been driven as it was intended to.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 AM
txA&M08
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doc New
Have you driven a P1 on the track? In fact, have you driven the Zo7 on the track? And if not, how do know? The weight/hp for the McLaren
is commensurate with what's seen on the straight away in the vid. But I hardly think a P1 driver, at least as competent as this one appears to be, would want to play cat and mouse with the lowly Z, maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Which ever, the Z stood up well for itself in this video and that's all I see. I mean you gotta give an edge to the P1 in some performance stat for that 1+ million bucks it cost, and from this vid, if straight away speed is it, not impressed. I'm glad you like the P1, but personally, I'm more impressed with the Z. DN
Straight away speed is far from its only advantage. You cant possibly think that...

There's a difference in being incompetent and careful. It seemed clear from the video that this guy was dialing it way back to protect his investment.

As others have said, with equal drivers, it's not even close. I would expect that with a good driver, the Z would hang around with a very careful P1, which is exactly what you see here. I'm not sure what you're so impressed with.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone "more impressed with the Z06" is simply lying to themselves.

P1 is a phenominal piece of engineering. I only wish I was at a point in my life I could buy one.

Takes nothing from the Z06, but let's be honest.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:09 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by txA&M08
Straight away speed is far from its only advantage. You cant possibly think that...

There's a difference in being incompetent and careful. It seemed clear from the video that this guy was dialing it way back to protect his investment.

As others have said, with equal drivers, it's not even close. I would expect that with a good driver, the Z would hang around with a very careful P1, which is exactly what you see here. I'm not sure what you're so impressed with.
The ZO6 pulls more Gs, and stops quicker than the P1..hell it does better at both than the 918. The problem is power with the ZO6. When it stops better, and is capable of higher G load... clearly braking and handling isn't the issue.

It's that worthless 1.7 liter Roots Supercharger.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Entertaining video but would not call it the ultimate compare either..

Question for the experts. At the 1.16 mark I can only assume both cars went WOT at the straight but, at least from my track experience, the 06 acceleration 60-120 seemed rather slow (I do have experience with 300hp deltas..) so I double checked and in the video it took this 06 approximately ten seconds to do 60-120??
The magazines I have read so far corroborate the 06 official rolling time 60-120 of 6.5ish...

A 3.5 seconds delta just on a ten seconds stretch?

ECU cutting output by 50% ??
Parking brake on?? :-)

Any rational explanation appreciated.

Cheers

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs. McLaren P1.......

Old 02-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 211 Likes on 91 Posts

At the 1:33 mark what is the P1 doing way on outside of that left corner? Missed the apex by 30' by the look of your line.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 211 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Entertaining video but would not call it the ultimate compare either..

Question for the experts. At the 1.16 mark I can only assume both cars went WOT at the straight but, at least from my track experience, the 06 acceleration 60-120 seemed rather slow (I do have experience with 300hp deltas..) so I double checked and in the video it took this 06 approximately ten seconds to do 60-120??
The magazines I have read so far corroborate the 06 official rolling time 60-120 of 6.5ish...

A 3.5 seconds delta just on a ten seconds stretch?

ECU cutting output by 50% ??
Parking brake on?? :-)

Any rational explanation appreciated.

Cheers
Does seem really slow! I think my 8 year old 6 cyl 335i would have pulled the Z06 in that segment.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:45 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
At the 1:33 mark what is the P1 doing way on outside of that left corner? Missed the apex by 30' by the look of your line.
And that's the issue. He overshot the corner and from then on the owner, (probably rightfully so since he just paid a cool million for the car), hit the brakes way too early on every corner. Hell there were times when it looked like he was braking from about 400-500 yards out. As another poster mentioned, he was only actually taxing the car in the straights. In the hands of an experienced driver the car would have braked later and gone around the corners so much faster. That's not taking anything away from the Z06, but the P1 is in a different league.
Bish

Quick Reply: Z06 vs. McLaren P1.......