C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7Z and Gen V Viper. Does anyone own both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

Just from various lurking and reading your posts, my (rather worthless) two cents are the following:

I think you're a vette guy that has had a bit of an axe to grind with the c7 styling (you were definitely slow to accept it, and it seemed to take the Z06 to actually bring you around). I think you're fairly clearly leaning toward the viper, but you're somewhat held back by brand loyalty and tradition.

Don't be. I personally love the C7 and its styling. But if it's not for you, then there's no need to justify any further; you like another car equally as much if not more - and that's the car you ought to go with. I think you're a Gen V Viper guy at this point, and I sure hope you'll share your delivery and thoughts with us once you finally get it.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
Paul,

Just from various lurking and reading your posts, my (rather worthless) two cents are the following:

I think you're a vette guy that has had a bit of an axe to grind with the c7 styling (you were definitely slow to accept it, and it seemed to take the Z06 to actually bring you around). I think you're fairly clearly leaning toward the viper, but you're somewhat held back by brand loyalty and tradition.

Don't be. I personally love the C7 and its styling. But if it's not for you, then there's no need to justify any further; you like another car equally as much if not more - and that's the car you ought to go with. I think you're a Gen V Viper guy at this point, and I sure hope you'll share your delivery and thoughts with us once you finally get it.
Wow...

Get out of my head man!!!! You really did capture my dilemma. You are 100% right. Time to let go and venture off into the dark side I guess. Thanks for the reality check.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:54 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I find it kind of funny how Lawdogg can back his sh*t up and people can't fathom how he likes the Z06 more. Who'da thought....
+1
And kudos to LD for not taking the bait.

Jimmy
Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

the paint on my two gen v's is & was immaculate

got my new one cquartz pro'd after 300 miles and just looks unreal, no orange peel at all.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:00 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
the paint on my two gen v's is & was immaculate

got my new one cquartz pro'd after 300 miles and just looks unreal, no orange peel at all.

Every Viper I've seen from the Gen III's to now has had flawless beautiful paint.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:15 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Every Viper I've seen from the Gen III's to now has had flawless beautiful paint.
I agree as well. The paint is light years ahead of the orange peel of the corvette. My detail guy says he has never seen paint so smooth as my viper.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:24 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
I agree as well. The paint is light years ahead of the orange peel of the corvette. My detail guy says he has never seen paint so smooth as my viper.

Yeah I thought my ZR1's paint was great till I compared it to the Viper's paint....every Stingray I saw was bad so much so it turned me off to the car..lawdogg you have a C7 Z06 is the OP in the paint better than the Stingray?...I sure hope they improved it because the car is beautiful otherwise.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Yeah I thought my ZR1's paint was great till I compared it to the Viper's paint....every Stingray I saw was bad so much so it turned me off to the car..lawdogg you have a C7 Z06 is the OP in the paint better than the Stingray?...I sure hope they improved it because the car is beautiful otherwise.
The paint on my 06 Z was actually better than my 2011 ZR1. You got lucky with yours Keith. I actually haven't been up close and personal with many C7's but the OP on the last one I saw was absolutely horrific.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:09 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the C7 stingray last year and now the C7 zo6 and I would honestly say the Orange peal has gotten worse. Both of my cars were red. Seems that red is the worst I have seen. I do know the Viper however is wet sanded at the plant before clear coating and shipping out. It is a hand built car that can get that kind of attention.

Corvette however spent all those millions to have a better painting system just prior to starting the C7 line up. You would think it would be getting better but they have gotten worse.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

I had the C7 stingray last year and now the C7 zo6 and I would honestly say the Orange peal has gotten worse. Both of my cars were red. Seems that red is the worst I have seen. I do know the Viper however is wet sanded at the plant before clear coating and shipping out. It is a hand built car that can get that kind of attention.

Corvette however spent all those millions to have a better painting system just prior to starting the C7 line up. You would think it would be getting better but they have gotten worse.

Well, there you go. I would suggest any car at any price sprayed under today's assembly line conditions with today's paint formulations will have orange peel unless it is wet sanded. Just look at any BMW or Mercedes. They key is that hand sanding, which with Chevy's production volumes, is unlikely to happen.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:55 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
The paint on my 06 Z was actually better than my 2011 ZR1. You got lucky with yours Keith. I actually haven't been up close and personal with many C7's but the OP on the last one I saw was absolutely horrific.

Yeah Boba I guess it was the luck of the draw because the paint on my 09 Z06 was not quite as good as the ZR1 but very close.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:04 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Wow that's unfortunate sorry to hear that law...not enough complaining to the company if people keep buying them like that and not putting in complaints they'll never do anything about it for such a car you'd think the paint would be better than on a Cobalt at least....
Old 02-17-2015, 04:11 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow that's unfortunate sorry to hear that law...not enough complaining to the company if people keep buying them like that and not putting in complaints they'll never do anything about it for such a car you'd think the paint would be better than on a Cobalt at least....
I have a whole fleet of work trucks I bought last year that have better paint jobs indeed. I have complained on both surveys and even fussed at Rick when I picked them up. Your right they could care less since they are selling so fast.

Im also thinking the red is the worst. I have seen several other C7's and they dont appear as bad.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:25 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Well, there you go. I would suggest any car at any price sprayed under today's assembly line conditions with today's paint formulations will have orange peel unless it is wet sanded. Just look at any BMW or Mercedes. They key is that hand sanding, which with Chevy's production volumes, is unlikely to happen.
+1 on all points.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:41 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have a whole fleet of work trucks I bought last year that have better paint jobs indeed. I have complained on both surveys and even fussed at Rick when I picked them up. Your right they could care less since they are selling so fast.

Im also thinking the red is the worst. I have seen several other C7's and they dont appear as bad.
Were the trucks GM, Ford or Rams?
I've had three Rams (two '12 1500's and a '14 2500) and the paint on them is/was pretty marginal. Lots of OP on all and mottling on the silver 2500. I never shopped the GM trucks, so can't compare.
S.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:44 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

All GMC 2500's. I bought 31 of them last year. But they are all white which has to be the simplest color to paint
Old 02-17-2015, 04:54 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by tracyda
This. And, by driving each, you already know they are nothing alike in how they drive and feel to YOU. My suggestion though, as you have mentioned is do the GTS vs the Z. Don't do the base SRT model as the ride will be stiffer and interior not as nice or quiet. Both have pros/cons based upon what and who they are optimized for.
It looks like you are giving a review of a gen 2 or 3 viper, it's obvious you haven't even sat in a gen 5 srt , if you did you would know the the ride is just fine, and the base interior is still much better than the The Z06's interior , the seats are are identical to the gts(sans power seat) , the only difference being there is cloth and leather, instead of all leather, the leather on the doors is not as high quality, as the laguna, but still better than the vettes, the rest of the interior is identical,with the exception of the model counsel between the seats, viper interior is light years above the corvettes.
The only gripe I have about the viper is that it is tight inside, but it's not stopping me from buying one.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 02-17-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7Z and Gen V Viper. Does anyone own both?

Old 02-17-2015, 04:58 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You hear about a lot of folks graduating from Vette to Viper...

Not so much the other way around.

There is a reason for this.

I've owned a few Gen V vipers and countless newer vettes. They are both great cars but there is no contest when it comes to absolute best bang for the buck and absolute exclusivity (if that's your thing)!
Old 02-17-2015, 05:09 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I will make you the best offer. Come on down here to GA and I will let you drive both. I have done this with several of my friends and all have chosen the Corvette. And if you like the viper the best I will make you a smoking deal on mine. Cant get even that good at a dealer.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:13 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII
You hear about a lot of folks graduating from Vette to Viper...

Not so much the other way around.

There is a reason for this.

I've owned a few Gen V vipers and countless newer vettes. They are both great cars but there is no contest when it comes to absolute best bang for the buck and absolute exclusivity (if that's your thing)!
This is what some people here don't understand, virtually every viper owner has owned multiple corvettes, after 5 or 6 of them, and seeing so many on the road , some people throw out the brand loyalty and take the step up.
The gen 5 has addressed all of the compromises that other gens had, from comfort to price , viper, with the exception of a couple of years has always dominated in performance, the cars now being priced the same, makes it the better bang for the buck.

Quick Reply: C7Z and Gen V Viper. Does anyone own both?