C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Just Finished Z06 Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Just Finished Z06 Driving School

Just back from the Ron Fellows School. Thanks to all of you who encouraged me to do all 3 days...DEFINITELY the right decision.

GREAT experience! A must-do for ALL Z06 owners. I was the first (or maybe the 2nd) Z06 student there. Good news is that you get to drive a Z06 for most of the course. Bad news is that the price for the 3rd day has now gone up $1500 if you haven't already booked it. Plus a $10k deductible with no waiver option for the Z06.

The Z06 is absolutely AMAZING on the track. Although I am no Jeff Gordon, I never even got close to its limit. I drove the Z51 the first morning and was impressed with it. Thought it was almost as fast as my Z06. But when I got to the Z06 and put it in track mode w/ PTM for the 1st time (never did that w/ mine), it lit up like nobody's business and flew like a cougar!

I recorded last half of the course with the PDR and will learn even more from watching it. Definitely take a 32-Gig card with you.

Instructors there are 1st class!

Can't wait to go back!

Ron
Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Nice, can't wait to go.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 PM
MustOBeenYellow2015Z
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Babaron
Just back from the Ron Fellows School. Thanks to all of you who encouraged me to do all 3 days...DEFINITELY the right decision.

GREAT experience! A must-do for ALL Z06 owners. I was the first (or maybe the 2nd) Z06 student there. Good news is that you get to drive a Z06 for most of the course. Bad news is that the price for the 3rd day has now gone up $1500 if you haven't already booked it. Plus a $10k deductible with no waiver option for the Z06.

The Z06 is absolutely AMAZING on the track. Although I am no Jeff Gordon, I never even got close to its limit. I drove the Z51 the first morning and was impressed with it. Thought it was almost as fast as my Z06. But when I got to the Z06 and put it in track mode w/ PTM for the 1st time (never did that w/ mine), it lit up like nobody's business and flew like a cougar!

I recorded last half of the course with the PDR and will learn even more from watching it. Definitely take a 32-Gig card with you.

Can't wait to go back!

Ron
When I went to skip barbers driving school, no deductible. At the end of the third day they let us have a mini 3 lap race amongst ourselves.

I'm sure it was badass to see how awesome the capaiblities of our cars are
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Can't wait to go back!

Ron
How did you overcome fishtailing as far as technique.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Sport mode 2. Race mode in PTM while going into a turn very hot results in a spin. Sport 2 will leave just enough nannies to save that butt when coming in to hot.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:15 PM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Sport mode 2. Race mode in PTM while going into a turn very hot results in a spin. Sport 2 will leave just enough nannies to save that butt when coming in to hot.
Sport mode 2??whats ptm
Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 PM
jbk0018
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm scheduled for the 3 day course next weekend. I'm loosing sleep, Im so excited. Any tips to share..? Getting there, staying, track, what to bring, etc...
Old 02-13-2015, 10:50 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Arctic Blastoff
Sport mode 2??whats ptm
Performance Traction Management.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:32 PM
y2k5c6dsom
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I called to try and book a 3 day class today and they said the first available booking wasn't until November. Also the 3 day class for the Z06 is $2,995.

I was wanting to go next month, however it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:11 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Sounds like you had a great time.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:33 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16,'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm going for level 2 last week of this month. My Christmas gift from Hubby. I HOPE I'm able to take a Z06 out at least once.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:17 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Each track session ws in PTM mode Sport 1. This leaves just enough nannies on to keep one from fish tailing. Most of the others in Z51's also drove in their "competitive mode" and many did feel the nanny kick in many times during the sessions. But I NEVER felt it kick in during the course in the Z06. She stuck like glue to the track. And the instructors tell me there was still plenty left. When I went out with the instructor ride-along, he pushed it to 70% of his ability and still no slip. (But I was a little queasy afterwards due to all the G-forces.)
The biggest tip I would give is do all 3 days and record the sessions on the PTM as you will learn so much by repetition. Do not get discouraged after the first day or even the 2nd as there is too much info to process all at once. But the 3 rd day it starts to all come together and you really start to have fun.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mountain.html

Glad you had a great time. For those who are going, it is well worth doing the third day.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

SOOOOOO glad you made me do it!

THANKS!!!

Ron

Originally Posted by 00247
Hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mountain.html

Glad you had a great time. For those who are going, it is well worth doing the third day.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

How do you mess with ptm?i thought there was only track,sport,touring etc..what is sport 2 option?
Old 02-14-2015, 10:33 AM
linnellw
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much time in the regular stingrat?

Can't wait to go back!

Ron
How much time in the regular stingray?
Old 02-14-2015, 12:58 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arctic Blastoff
How do you mess with ptm?i thought there was only track,sport,touring etc..what is sport 2 option?
1st put in track mode. Then push the center **** down twice but not too quickly. The dash screen then changes to PTM mode and you can turn the center **** clockwise to select from wet, dry, sport 1 and finally sport 2.

Two words of caution: First, sport 1 will save you if you start to get loose. Sport 2 is much less invasive and it is much easier to break loose the rear tires. Use this only if you have a lot of track experience.

2nd, don't use track mode at all on the street unless it is a short, VERY SMOOTH stretch of road. The suspension firms up so much that you can easily damage the wheels in a pothole or bump.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Finished Z06 Driving School

Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by linnellw
How much time in the regular stingray?
I drove the Z51 in the morning the 1st 2 days for heel-toe exercises. Rest of the course was in the only broken in Z06 they had.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Doc New
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove the Z51 in the morning the 1st 2 days for heel-toe exercises. Rest of the course was in the only broken in Z06 they had.
Sounds terrific. Glad you had a great time. Will the school let you use your own personal Zo6, and is there any difference between the Z51 class and Zo6 class other than using the two different cars when on the track? Thanks. DN
Old 02-14-2015, 02:10 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Curious on the different traction control track modes for the Z06. Is it possible to turn off all traction control, or is there always some minor level of interference even in the most aggressive setting?

The BMW "M Dynamic Mode" in my M4 is total garbage and way too intrusive so I have to drive on the track with all nannies off. It's a lot of fun, but can be a little sketchy on corner exit with all the torque from those turbos kicking in. You have to drift it a little bit coming out of the turns. I can only imagine how fun (and scary!) the Z06 would be to drive with all the nannies off.

Quick Reply: Just Finished Z06 Driving School