C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

WTF...at start cold idle jumps to 4K and holds itself!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:24 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 455 Likes on 256 Posts

Default WTF...at start cold idle jumps to 4K and holds itself!

I started my car today for a few people at work that were dying to hear the beast. I hit the start button and everything fired up fine, idles ~900 RPM. I tapped the throttle to "gently" rev the motor to ~1500 to 1800 RPM's with no issue, idle came right back down to ~900 (remember, the car is cold!). I tap the throttle a second time expecting the same results and all of a sudden the idle rocketed to ~4000 RPM (as if I mashed the pedal halfway) and just hung there for about 3 seconds.....I tried tapping the throttle again thinking that maybe it was physically rubbing and got stuck but this made no change in RPM.....it was as if the pedal was suddenly unresponsive. Then without warning the idle just dropped back to normal. Anyone else experience something like this?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Dealer visit.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 PM
FirehawkTA
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a problem very similar to this many years ago that was a bad IAC (Idle Air Control) valve.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:42 PM
todm
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does the same thing if it is in neutral. It does not do it if I have the clutch pressed and in gear.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Don't forget, it's an electronic throttle and not physically connected to the pedal.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to driving computers. My current 14 Z51 will do that sometimes. Imagine my surprise the first time when after starting it cold and backing out of the shop immediately. I probably gave a slight blip as I was putting it in reverse and did again as I was letting the clutch out. The rpms took off just as the clutch was grabbing lurching the car out of the shop through the door opening. By the time I reacted to the surprise, pushed the clutch in, and hit the brakes, it moved quite a bit.

It has done the same thing several times and seems to be a function of controlling emissions. I was one of the few who complained that the throttle response in the C7 was horrible. There were a number of threads with this complaint since introduction. It was greatly improved when a number of software updates were done. Updated throttle mapping was included with one of them. Apparently some cars had incorrect programming. Mine was a fairly early build, #5933 and as I understand it changes were made after ~6500, if my memory is correct. I did not experience it after the update but it was late in the driving season and I hardly drove it. Every time I move it cold I am prepared for a surprise.

Perhaps there is an issue but more than likely it is the computer telling your engine what to do instead of your foot. I also don't like the way it will hold throttle for a few moments after lifting in certain situations.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Thats not cool...Anybody else experience this?
Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 PM
TacDoc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neg. I picked my Z up in November and have have driven to work nightly through the winter. Some mornings I get off work as low as 5degrees F. No problems whatsoever.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Doc New
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I started my car today for a few people at work that were dying to hear the beast. I hit the start button and everything fired up fine, idles ~900 RPM. I tapped the throttle to "gently" rev the motor to ~1500 to 1800 RPM's with no issue, idle came right back down to ~900 (remember, the car is cold!). I tap the throttle a second time expecting the same results and all of a sudden the idle rocketed to ~4000 RPM (as if I mashed the pedal halfway) and just hung there for about 3 seconds.....I tried tapping the throttle again thinking that maybe it was physically rubbing and got stuck but this made no change in RPM.....it was as if the pedal was suddenly unresponsive. Then without warning the idle just dropped back to normal. Anyone else experience something like this?
Thanks for reporting this. I don't know about anyone else, but the last thing I would want in a 650/650 output drive train is an uncontrolled surge in rpms. And it sounds like something is hanging up either in the throttle mech or software that controls idle. Whatever it is, it could be extremely dangerous if it happens while driving. Please keep us posted on the progress of this. Thanks again. DN
Old 02-14-2015, 07:01 PM
pbarrows
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It's ready to run. Drive it like you stole it.

Get notified of new replies

To WTF...at start cold idle jumps to 4K and holds itself!

Quick Reply: WTF...at start cold idle jumps to 4K and holds itself!