C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why an A8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:16 PM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why an A8?

It seems that many of you these days really put a lot of focus on automatic transmissions, is that because going a couple of tenths faster in the 1/4 is so important or because some are lazy or don't even know how to drive a manual? I myself would never buy a sports car with an automatic unless I had no choice for that particular car, which may sway my choice away from that car. There is nothing like shifting IMO.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM
mtm87tx
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technology - computers are faster then humans
Power handling - new automatics are much more robust
Traffic
Disability
Sales - z06 will sell more cars with an auto likely
Personal preference - if a viper had an auto I'd consider it as well

If you like to row then buy the m7 as if you look at the trends thus might be one of the last few great sports cars offered in a manual
Old 02-08-2015, 05:25 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 02-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Raystung
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bpsmokinhot
It seems that many of you these days really put a lot of focus on automatic transmissions, is that because going a couple of tenths faster in the 1/4 is so important or because some are lazy or don't even know how to drive a manual? I myself would never buy a sports car with an automatic unless I had no choice for that particular car, which may sway my choice away from that car. There is nothing like shifting IMO.
I guess for some of us that have been around since the Corvettes of the 50's...we no longer feel the need to always keep something in our right hand. And yes-most of us know how to drive a manual.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:27 PM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtm87tx

If you like to row then buy the m7 as if you look at the trends thus might be one of the last few great sports cars offered in a manual
I am currently wavering back and forth between a Z28 and ZO6 but leaning towards the Camaro. As for last great manual shift cars I don't think they have them in the Viper as of now. For me it's just more fun to shift, be it at rpm or around town.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:28 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Instead of asking others why they want an A8, you should be asking yourself why it matters so much to you what other people want. Are you so full of self-importance that you think your opinion should affect what others buy?

If you have an M7 and enjoy it, good for you...isn't it great nobody made you get an A8 or tried to make you feel bad for getting the M7. Wouldn't it be great if you allowed others to enjoy their choice of transmission without trying to make them feel bad. Buy what you want and enjoy it...you won't enjoy yours any less because somebody bought an A8. You should be thanking people who buy the A8 because that allows the cost to be shared across more cars making your M7 less expensive for you to buy.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:28 PM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raystung
I guess for some of us that have been around since the Corvettes of the 50's...we no longer feel the need to always keep something in our right hand. And yes-most of us know how to drive a manual.
We'll have to do a poll, and they did have two speed power glides back in the 50's.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

It seems like so many of you these days really put a lot of focus on those of us that like automatic transmissions., is that because you like going a tenth slower in the 1/4 mile or because you're a manly man and don't want to know how to drive an auto? I myself may never buy another manual sports car unless I had no choice for that particular car, which may sway my choice away from that car. There is nothing like never missing a shift IMO.

To each there own.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

You can shift all day long if you wish to, however some of us don't wish to.

I'm sensing that you didn't think your post through before clicking the post icon. I also take offense to your 'lazy' comment, which implies that if we drive an auto we aren't as much of a 'man' or a 'driver' as you are.

There are people out there who's health won't allow them to shift. My wife is a 44 year diabetic with nerve damage (neuropathy) and she can drive an auto, but can't shift. We also live in the Houston area with a lot of bumper to bumper traffic on the freeways.

So, I hope you allow us to keep out auto Corvette. Perhaps you should email Chevy and tell them to only make manual shift Corvettes because us auto drivers don't deserve to own one.

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 02-08-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:32 PM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Instead of asking others why they want an A8, you should be asking yourself why it matters so much to you what other people want. Are you so full of self-importance that you think your opinion should affect what others buy?

If you have an M7 and enjoy it, good for you...isn't it great nobody made you get an A8 or tried to make you feel bad for getting the M7. Wouldn't it be great if you allowed others to enjoy their choice of transmission without trying to make them feel bad. Buy what you want and enjoy it...you won't enjoy yours any less because somebody bought an A8. You should be thanking people who buy the A8 because that allows the cost to be shared across more cars making your M7 less expensive for you to buy.
Geez is everyone on this forum so sensitive? If you look at my OP I asked a question then stated my preference, is that not allowed here? I was told that this forum is quite critical and as a newbie it is a big turnoff.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

One word.

Consistency.

Bonus word, traffic.

I think some Manual guys, look down on autos because they refuse to admit, the car is infact faster than they are.
Me, I love rowing my own... as well as like having an auto. Having either is not a deal breaker for me, and I for one am glad the vette has, an automatic option. Otherwise it would have gone the way of Viper a long time ago. The auto, whether manual enthusiasts want to admit it or not, was just as important to the fate of the Corvette, as the installation of the first V8s in the 50s was.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 PM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT

I'm sensing that you didn't think your post through before clicking the post icon. I also take offense to your 'lazy' comment, which implies that if we drive an auto we aren't as much of a 'man' or a 'driver' as you are.

There are people out there who's health won't allow them to shift. My wife is a 44 year diabetic with nerve damage (neuropathy) and she can drive an auto, but can't shift. We also live in the Houston area with a lot of bumper to bumper traffic on the freeways.
I certainly did not mean to reference a persons health ailments and I hope your wife does well with her health.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:41 PM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by MavsAK
One word.

Consistency.

Bonus word, traffic.

I think some Manual guys, look down on autos because they refuse to admit, the car is infact faster than they are.
Me, I love rowing my own... as well as like having an auto. Having either is not a deal breaker for me, and I for one am glad the vette has, an automatic option. Otherwise it would have gone the way of Viper a long time ago. The auto, whether manual enthusiasts want to admit it or not, was just as important to the fate of the Corvette, as the installation of the first V8s in the 50s was.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:42 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,653 Likes on 414 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

It seems that many of you these days really put a lot of focus on automatic transmissions, is that because going a couple of tenths faster in the 1/4 is so important or because some are lazy or don't even know how to drive a manual?
Old 02-08-2015, 05:45 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,340 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
hello,,,
Old 02-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

didn't you learn how sensitive some guys are here in your first thread???
Old 02-08-2015, 05:51 PM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
didn't you learn how sensitive some guys are here in your first thread???
I guess I wasn't paying attention. I should have added to my OP that I am all about road course days and shifting just adds to the challenge, I did not mean to offend anyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Why an A8?

Old 02-08-2015, 06:09 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I guess I wasn't paying attention. I should have added to my OP that I am all about road course days and shifting just adds to the challenge, I did not mean to offend anyone.
Then why throw in the bit about being lazy?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:29 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Geez is everyone on this forum so sensitive? If you look at my OP I asked a question then stated my preference, is that not allowed here? I was told that this forum is quite critical and as a newbie it is a big turnoff.
As a newbie you have to learn something. Don't say anything critical about the Corvette or you will be labelled a hater. Don't say anything positive about the Corvette or you will be labelled a fanboy. Just don't say anything and remain out of trouble.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:33 PM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Then why throw in the bit about being lazy?
Because it's possibly true. Some people shovel their own snow and some pay a person to do it, maybe because they are lazy or maybe it can be health but it's still one of the possibilities just like not knowing how to drive a stick.

Quick Reply: Why an A8?