C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette a drag racer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCALSS
so seriously how many times were you beat up in high school?
I'm kinda thinking it didn't stop there.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCALSS
so seriously how many times were you beat up in high school?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Why are you even here?
As Snorman pointed out in the Willow thread with links (very funny read btw), DS was ousted from the Beemer forums for badgering them with how awesome the new Z is. The guys posting over there seemed like a cool bunch, maybe he's working us to elicit negative BMW responses to try and weasel back in their fold.

That said; Wow Stig, love your avatar pic. Can we have some more please? What wheels are on it? I've always been partial to the white but they look good in any color. My C6Z was spit out by many an M3, even the regular 325i was a real challenge, and absolutely loved the exhaust note when they blew by me. The wife and I were fortunate enough to own a few and hated to see them go (she's still in therapy since we traded in the last one). Sigh...
Old 02-07-2015, 08:54 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

I think the mods should give der stig a 'mercy ban' to save him from himself.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

The flip side is some of you are just too damn sensitive. I mean, he does provide entertainment.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman
As Snorman pointed out in the Willow thread with links (very funny read btw), DS was ousted from the Beemer forums for badgering them with how awesome the new Z is. The guys posting over there seemed like a cool bunch, maybe he's working us to elicit negative BMW responses to try and weasel back in their fold.

That said; Wow Stig, love your avatar pic. Can we have some more please? What wheels are on it? I've always been partial to the white but they look good in any color. My C6Z was spit out by many an M3, even the regular 325i was a real challenge, and absolutely loved the exhaust note when they blew by me. The wife and I were fortunate enough to own a few and hated to see them go (she's still in therapy since we traded in the last one). Sigh...
Stop with the personal attacks please. I may be doing a lot of things here, but personally attacking and insulting people is not something I do. Argue with my ideas, not with my personality. Why do you have to make everything so personal? Only people who get angry and who cannot form a basic defensive thought process to counter argue act the way you do.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
After reading this I seriously went looking for the thumbs up button
Old 02-08-2015, 12:07 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by tail_lights
After reading this I seriously went looking for the thumbs up button
Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

the OP may wish to look into a Y chromosome..... I think Bruce Jenner has one up on EBay.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:38 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

The Corvette is a drag racer, a road racer, a auto cross car, a touring car, a daily driver and for some just a work of art to be driven on a nice Sunday and waxed weekly.

It is a car that can do any or all of these things and do them well.

What else is there to say ?
Old 02-08-2015, 06:03 AM
petecaballero
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 AM
petecaballero
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Ok you got me

There is a difference between using 1/4 mile times as a performance number to compare the car to the competitor vs doing this drag racing thing as a full time job and taking it to the next step with mods and headers and drag radials though.
Sorry buddy, you can't have it both ways. This thread is definitive proof that you are here to antagonize forum members.

MODs please take note.

Last edited by petecaballero; 02-08-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:52 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DerStig
Stop with the personal attacks please. I may be doing a lot of things here, but personally attacking and insulting people is not something I do. Argue with my ideas, not with my personality. Why do you have to make everything so personal? Only people who get angry and who cannot form a basic defensive thought process to counter argue act the way you do.
You are absolutely correct sir (madam?). I am not angry, just curious, as my first question to you resulted in "Do you have a comprehension problem?". Evidently so, but I am also curious as to whether there is a medical designation for tripolar or if it just jumps right to Sybil. Oops, sorry - on to your ideas...

"You guys have so much class."
"If you have a ctsv as a car, I don't think I can engage in a conversation with you."
"How about you spend some time in one of the University of California campuses or a community college and take an English 101 class instead of drag racing in Mexico?' *btw "I spent a lot of time in the principle's office" s/b "principal"
"Keep talking like a little child."

"Wow, the quality in this car is so low, makes you think- is it really a bargain?'
"Are you really comparing this car design to the European's? Have you read about art history? We don't really have much art over here if you know what I mean."
"nothing innovative in the technology"
"This is GM. This is what you get for a cheap car."
"You can put make up on a pig... You know where I'm going with this."
Yet in another post, "I have nothing but good thoughts in my heart about this car."

"I also don't understand people who buy a 100k car with chrome wheels. But I don't disrespect them publicly do I?"
It appears someone else (sic) posted a thread under your user name bashing the accomplishments of all drag racers and the many fans (myself included "yeehaw").
Now to look up the spelling of IGNORE.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:01 AM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a newbie so maybe I am uninformed but geez 33 posts and most of them have nothing to do with the topic and are insulting, is this what this forum is all about? Obviously a lot of you don't like Derstig but then why do you post?

As for the topic I too don't really care about 1/4 mile times, it doesn't take much skill (especially in an auto) and really offers no more than the cars ability to lay the power down and go straight for 11 seconds, no big deal. Road course usage takes all kinds of driver skill and uses every facet of a cars abilities IMO.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:08 AM
NYROBZ06
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bpsmokinhot
I'm a newbie so maybe I am uninformed but geez 33 posts and most of them have nothing to do with the topic and are insulting, is this what this forum is all about? Obviously a lot of you don't like Derstig but then why do you post?

As for the topic I too don't really care about 1/4 mile times, it doesn't take much skill (especially in an auto) and really offers no more than the cars ability to lay the power down and go straight for 11 seconds, no big deal. Road course usage takes all kinds of driver skill and uses every facet of a cars abilities IMO.
1/4 mile takes skill too! It's about launching your car right to get a good 60ft, not spinning your tires and keeping the car straight.
If you haven't tried it, i would give it a shot.
I like road course and the strip, but both take skill for sure!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:21 AM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYROBZ06
1/4 mile takes skill too! It's about launching your car right to get a good 60ft, not spinning your tires and keeping the car straight.
If you haven't tried it, i would give it a shot.
I like road course and the strip, but both take skill for sure!
You are right, I should have said that road course driving gets more out of both the car and the driver. Thanks for your answer, much better than all the hogwash I have been reading in lots of threads.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:12 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bpsmokinhot

Greetings and my sincere apologies for contributing to your poor first impression. We also are wondering why someone incessantly posts berating a car on a forum dedicated to that car. When you insult a parent's baby you might get slapped. I am a fan of drag racing and find beauty (not "ugly") in seeing a machine and driver capable of finessing a four wheeled vehicle on two wheels, although I have never once yelled "yeehaw".

You will rarely be called out here for stating your opinion or asking an even remotely reasonable question. I have learned SO much from this forum, there are many incredible members and you will be hard pressed to find anything they don't have an answer to.
It's pretty hard to argue the fact that a road course uses every facet of a car and driver's abilities and is where this car shines, but it still does well competing with vehicles that can barely turn a corner. It's nice to know that you can do it all.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette a drag racer?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Time to post up something "disgusting" to DerStig....
No it's not mine..but when I get around to a C3 (I'm going Newer First then going back old. I have my first Old corvette already with the C4) it could well be.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
ALLANB
Pro

Car guys like to do various things with their cars. Some just like to cruise them and will never race them . Some are stupid and street race them. Some will go to drag track and run a 1/8 or 1/4 mile. Some will do autocross . Some will road race them.

Drag racing is pretty fun and can be very addictive. And as said it gives you a chance to go fast legally and pretty safely. But most tracks will kick you off for going faster than 11.5 on a non stock car unless you have roll bar . Under 10.0 usually you need roll cage, and ton of other stuff.
So don't see a lot of drag racing happening with non stock c7 z06 they are too fast for most drag tracks and would be kicked off .

Generally manuals make lousy drag cars. Autos are much better. Especially as you can up the stall speed of a auto and really get some great reductions in your times.
And most powerful cars especially front wheel or rear wheel drive cars will need drag tires to hook up. Fact street tires on powerful non all wheel drive cars at the strip can be a recipe for disaster. At track where used to live couple years back a guy totaled his new c6 z06. And usually have no insurance at track and often would have no warranty.
Also saw a new 350z get totalled circle track racing few years back. No insurance.

Racing can be very expensive of course as well with parts breakage, crashing and other expenses. It can be a very expensive hobby and really most people don't make much money from winning on an amateur level. Even for pros it can wind up being an expensive hobby.

But its fun to run down the drag track. Unless you have tried it you likely don't' realize how much fun it can be. And there is quite a bit of skill involved especially with a manual car. So many variables with a manual car that can affect your times. One reason most serious drag racers prefer autos. And drag racing is pretty darn hard on clutches. Especially if you are trying to find the sweet spot to get the best 60ft a critical number in drag racing. And slipping the clutch is going to wear it out pretty quickly.

Anyway we are seeing now some great numbers from the c7 z06 with relatively few mods. Good mph and good ets. In stock form think the cars will still turn not bad numbers although maybe not as great stock as some would like. Mostly it looks like because of the factory tune and the aero. The power from the dynos looks to be there.
and you can't judge the cars performance with a manual too well as so many variables. Short shift, hit the limiter. miss a gear to name a few of the problems with manuals and drag racing. And those things can affect mph and et both. Density air and race weight also can have big effects on mph and et.

The c7 z06 is not really a 1/4 mile type of car. But it can do a pretty decent job of it . Any car that can run 11s stock on stock tires is pretty damn quick. Just few years ago would have been very quick but we get jaded. And it looks like 10s are doable on drag tires and even on street tires in the auto. That's smoking fast .

I actually get more of a laugh out of people on here whining about road race type performance worrying about if the c7 z06 is like a tenth faster or slower than some other high end car usually a car that is way way more expensive then the c7 z06. And how many people on here are really going to be road racing their cars at that level ? And really driver is a lot of the equation as well. Not many people have the skill set to drive like a pro driver and will probably never come close to the times of a pro driver.

But yeah mostly guys just like to talk numbers . Its a guy thing. For the money the c7 z06t is a hell of a car. And can do a lot of things well. Maybe not the best in every category. But overall a hell of a car. One is for sure in my future. I miss my 08 z06 quite a bit and if it was offered in auto form would still have it but would be trading up to a new z06 in a couple of years when depreciation has worked its magic and after a few first year bugs /issues have been addressed . Happy GM dedided to offer the new z06 with auto option . And as a vert or with removable roof as well. Nice to have options and to offer basically a zr1 for z06 price with all the new improvements and technology.

So anyway after seeing what the new z06 can now do in the quarter with not that much for mods a lot of the critics on here should shut the hell up. Course people are still going to bitch about the stock mph I guess but its pretty much figured out its the factory tune and aero to blame for bit slower mph. And factory could change tune as the model run continues.

Last edited by ALLANB; 02-08-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:13 AM
bpsmokinhot
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanTheFireman

You will rarely be called out here for stating your opinion or asking an even remotely reasonable question. I have learned SO much from this forum, there are many incredible members and you will be hard pressed to find anything they don't have an answer to.
It's pretty hard to argue the fact that a road course uses every facet of a car and driver's abilities and is where this car shines, but it still does well competing with vehicles that can barely turn a corner. It's nice to know that you can do it all.
Thanks Dan the Fireman, I was hoping that I too could learn and make some friends. I posted a thread regarding my buying a Z28 or ZO6 solely for the purpose of tracking it on a road course. I guess going straight does take some skill and engineering too, I just prefer lefts and rights with some straights and sweepers thrown in. lol...good to meet you.

Quick Reply: Corvette a drag racer?