C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 High Speed Accident Fatality

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Przyojski
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C7-Z06
Sorry that this guy lost his life, what I find surprising is why nobody is questioning why the front end of the car is ripped off !! This new frame may be stiffer in respect to the c5 C6 steel frame and the C6 Z aluminium frame but from what I have seen when crashed it doesn't deform it shears, separates, search the salvage car websites Copart, IAA.
Also states on window sticker that vehicle has not been rated by government for overall vehicle score, frontal crash, side crash or rollover risk.
I have seen this happen recently in a c7Z, nowhere near this kind of impact and the front of the frame cleaved clean off. so clean I thought that it was supposed to, or that it was just a crash bar.
Any info on if this is a design flaw or what?
Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I am a trauma surgeon in Little Rock and will leave it at that.

Second, please wear your seatbelts. We have created a new injury pattern in people who drive cars with airbags and don't wear their seatbelt.

When you crash and move forward from the momentum the airbag strikes you under the chin and literally distracts your head off you spinal cord creating a high spinal cord injury. Very few will survive this injury.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My wife and I have endured 2 accidents in 2 different Corvette's. An 11 GS and our 15 Z06. The GS was totaled, but protected us completely. Only a little sore from that one. And we were rear-ended in our current 15 Z06. Minimal damage to the rear bumper covers and rt tail light. In that one it was a late model SUV going 50 mph and he never hit his brakes. Again, car protected us but my mid thoracic spine still hurts 3 months later.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:31 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Przyojski
I have seen this happen recently in a c7Z, nowhere near this kind of impact and the front of the frame cleaved clean off. so clean I thought that it was supposed to, or that it was just a crash bar.
Stiffness (rigidity) /= strength.

EG. Concrete is very stiff but has very little strength in tension.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Przyojski
Instructor

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Stiffness (rigidity) /= strength.

EG. Concrete is very stiff but has very little strength in tension.
Agreed and understood, but this is not seen with previous models, etc, and I still found it surprising. Especially for it to cleave in an accident that didn't even deploy airbags.

It was such a clean break in two places it just seemed almost intentional, especially since other places were bent.

These were also seemingly "joints" so that would definitely play a roll in being a weak spot.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:10 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I have seen several C2 and C3 frames torn in half just behind the drivers seat.

There are pics all over the web, if you look.

Hit a tree or pole sideways at speed and the steel frame shears at the cross member like it was cut with a knife.

Doug
Old 05-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Przyojski
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I have seen several C2 and C3 frames torn in half just behind the drivers seat.

There are pics all over the web, if you look.

Hit a tree or pole sideways at speed and the steel frame shears at the cross member like it was cut with a knife.

Doug
those frames are very very different though. The question stands, are the frames meant to split at these points in an accident, and absorb in different areas or different directions of impact.
eg: maybe if the front of a vette is clipped by someone running a red light, and the front of the frame cleaves off, less energy is transmitted to the corvette reducing how rapidly it is sent spinning off and the other car essentially just drives through it.
Obviously, the front is going to handle more stress along the length of the frame than it would coming from the side near a joint, but is this exaggerated by design?
Old 05-11-2015, 02:20 PM
sixthsense114
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A Riley
I am going to show this to my son (he's almost 10).

Usually when I've got the z out he's with me. Almost every time some high school looking kid tries to race us, and I ignore and tell my boy that's what tracks are for, that too many things can go wrong on the highway.

Hate to see this and hope the passenger makes a full recovery.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:12 PM
Przyojski
Instructor

The front is designed to come off, apparently. its a bracketed sleeve on the frame. makes for a much easier fix.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:05 PM
C7-Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Przyojski
There have been lots of these cars in the salvage auction sites, with bumper rebars broke sheared off, then there are the ones that are sheared in front of where the upper A arm bolts up, and some where the frame has sheared at the firewall like this one in the original post. cars these days are designed to absorb deform not break like a brittle bone. GM got it wrong on this frame/chassis. IMO.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:33 PM
lpw016
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been lots of these cars in the salvage auction sites, with bumper rebars broke sheared off, then there are the ones that are sheared in front of where the upper A arm bolts up, and some where the frame has sheared at the firewall like this one in the original post. cars these days are designed to absorb deform not break like a brittle bone. GM got it wrong on this frame/chassis. IMO.
OMG. I almost bought that car at the dealership. I posted a FS on that particular Z06 at Russell Chevrolet in Little Rock.

RIP and drive safe
Old 05-12-2015, 10:15 AM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm no expert in car crashes, but I'm very familiar with aircraft crashes and there's a reason they're always so much worse - speed. I agree with the fire, EMT, police, and medical guys - if they were doing something like 130 MPH and went from that speed to 0 in 0.01 seconds, it's like Bill Paxton said in Aliens, "game over man, game over". A few years back there was an incident in a C6 that was pretty bad too. I think a lady was driving one off the lot, hit triple digit speeds, crashed, and the car just disintegrated. It would happen in anything. If you could get an armored truck well into the triple digits (say 150 MPH) and hit a bunch of large, old trees, the force is so powerful it wouldn't make much of a difference. Really sad, praying for the family.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Przyojski
Instructor

I think in some cases, breaking may be the ideal thing to happen. It all depends on the direction of the impact. In a situation like the one i described, front end getting clipped, it would be best if the car DIDN'T absorb the impact but rather said good-bye front end. In the accident I watched the frame DID absorb the front end impact that was directed toward the cabin, just not as much of the lateral force, which in turn just reduced how much the car spun around after impact.

Absorbing the impact is only really ideal if the impact is directed toward the cabin. Otherwise you are just making the vehicle have a greater acceleration, in turn giving the occupants bodies a greater rate of acceleration.

Maybe GM got it right....
Old 05-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran

From KATV in Little Rock, Arkansas http://www.katv.com/story/27992747/f...fferson-county

An accident in Jefferson County has left one person dead.
Too Much Money + Too Little Brains = Tragedy ^

Quick Reply: Z06 High Speed Accident Fatality