C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Transmission Fails at 2,000 Miles - GM Won't Respond or Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:50 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
not sure I would have used track day video to document an issue but thats me.....good luck
but one way or the other they should have the courtesy to notify him whether its "ok we'll fixit "or "take a hike" something's not right somewhere

Clif
Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Hcdd239
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
Let me get this straight? You are suggesting someone with a zero mile delivered Z06 go check for some crazy pre-rape of their ECU?

I am confused.
This is the problem with forums . I did not say crazy or pre-raped . But yes have it checked so this does not happen to you . If the car is delivered with the ECU unlocked and you later have a problem and there is NO date log than YES they can accuse you of doing it and void your warranty . I hope that cleared it up Im simply trying to inform and help protect you. It will happen just like paint defects happen , etc....
Old 02-09-2015, 08:04 PM
Hcdd239
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rikhek
Bish,

I wasn't sure who this guy was asking but I guess it's me. Not sure what his "comment" has to do with the discussion or his motive.

His tone certainly suggests something......

Rick
Hope you get your car back soon and you can enjoy it and put this behind you !
Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Hcdd239
This is the problem with forums . I did not say crazy or pre-raped . But yes have it checked so this does not happen to you . If the car is delivered with the ECU unlocked and you later have a problem and there is NO date log than YES they can accuse you of doing it and void your warranty . I hope that cleared it up Im simply trying to inform and help protect you. It will happen just like paint defects happen , etc....
I know zero on this topic so hence the questions.

Who are you suggesting leaves the ECU unlocked? At factory, at PDI? At early oil changes.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why/ who would leave the ECU unlocked or even touched in first place.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 PM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Just open the engine bay of the M5 and the Z06 (or other GM cars). M5 is just tight fit. It's almost as if someone sat and spent days trying to make the most of that space in engine bay. Z06 has a lot of big plastic pieces and a lot of empty space. It's like they had a lot of space surplus.

Well truth be told, mentality wise, we as a country have nothing but empty space don't we? The entire mid west is full of farms and vast spaces. Germany is completely opposite. Tiny country in a tiny european continent, trying to be as efficient as possible. We love big giant trucks that gets 12 mpg and are a bit wasteful don't you think? You know I am right!

Look at this :

And then this :

Are you telling me that they are both at the same caliber? Forget about horsepower. Just talk about the neatness factor and the engineering. Who still uses those white coolant plastic tanks these days on any car let alone a 100k sports car!
I'm with you man. I love how BMW puts the 3 stripey thing between the headlight fluid river and the fetzer valve.

I owned an '08 M3 and it was quite reliable until the warranty ran out. Then God help you. Fixes are very expensive.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

How did we go from a tranny problem to a BMW packaging vs. ZO6 packaging issues. You know they're doing miracles with some medical treatments these days.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
How did we go from a tranny problem to a BMW packaging vs. ZO6 packaging issues. You know they're doing miracles with some medical treatments these days.
DerStig chimed in with his inestimable opinion, that's how.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:52 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

FYI, got the car back last night after 23 days. Entire ordeal has left a bad taste in my mouth for both GM and my dealer.

No obvious issues with the newly installed tranny.

Rick
Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 532 Posts

FYI, got the car back last night after 23 days. Entire ordeal has left a bad taste in my mouth for both GM and my dealer.

Rick
/thread

Glad ya finally got it back. Sorry to hear about the hell you had to go through to do so though. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here on out for ya.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Something for everyone to consider regarding their transmission. I wonder how many owners have the same defect as I but don't know it. My car didn't pop out of gear a single time in over 2,000 aggressive street miles.

Only when I was driving 8/10 on track did the failure demonstrate itself. If I had never tracked the car I might not have realized it was broken until after the warranty expired.

So, for all the track naysayers I offer using the car under one of it's design parameters (i.e., track day car) is the only way I realized it was broken....

There may be a lot of ticking time bombs out there......

Morale of the story is I STRONGLY suggest all owners get out to the track and have some fun in addition to determining if your transmission is broken. Yes, even the WAXERS who scorn and condem me to damnation at the fiery gates of Hades for having the unmitigated audacity and gall to utilize the car in a manner for which it was designed. These are the people who believe I got what I deserved for actually driving the car....... Tick, tock, tick ,tock.

Last edited by rikhek; 02-11-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:05 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Something for everyone to consider regarding their transmission. I wonder how many owners have the same defect as I but don't know it. My car didn't pop out of gear a single time in over 2,000 aggressive street miles.

Only when I was driving 8/10 on track did the failure demonstrate itself. If I had never tracked the car I might not have realized it was broken until after the warranty expired.

So, for all the track naysayers I offer using the car under one of it's design parameters (i.e., track day car) is the only way I realized it was broken....

Morale of the story is I STRONGLY suggest all owners get out to the track and have some fun in addition to determining if your transmission is broken. Yes, even the WAXERS who scorn and condem me to damnation at the fiery gates of Hades for having the unmitigated audacity and gall to utilize the car in a manner for which it was designed. These are the people who believe I got what I deserved for actually driving the car....... Tick, tock, tick ,tock.
We all have warranties..... We will be fine...

Clearly there are issues with any new car/ engine launch. There always are. Has there been any catostrophic engine / tranny failures on any of these cars that haven't been tracked?

Last edited by keeks2915; 02-11-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

...."lil too much red bull today"...?
Old 02-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Sheeeeesh Rick...let's just hang you by your toenails for awhile, eh? LOL....to think, I could have ended up with your race car...I mean...you actually raced it...it could have been abused...the horror!!!!! LOL

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you, but still, 23 days in the shop...that's disappointing!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:54 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Glad you got the car back and it seems to be running fine Rick. You should have been compensated by GM in some fashion for having to wait 23 days; that's stupid.

Bish
Old 02-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

glad youre up and running...don't fault you a bit using the car the way it was designed to do so...
Old 02-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Hcdd239
Intermediate

I agree GM needs to learn customer service .Maybe they should have spent a summer working at McDonalds and learned the 3 basic rules ... Enjoy your car !
Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Rick
Why the bad taste for the dealer? I get why for GM.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Fails at 2,000 Miles - GM Won't Respond or Repair

Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Kerns
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TulsaVette
Why the bad taste for the dealer? I get why for GM.
That's what I'm wondering also... transmission started being installed on Thursday and finished on Tuesday. That's 4 working days which seems normal for what all is involved with the removal and install of these transmissions.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Doc New
Instructor

Sorry you had to go through this. Perhaps GM can learn something about the M7 from your case that will lead to an improvement down the the road, and further M7 failures averted. Best of luck going forward and thank you for keeping us all posted on this event. DN
Old 02-12-2015, 06:54 AM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=keeks2915;1588937341]We all have warranties..... We will be fine...

'Xactly. Enough with the drama already....

Quick Reply: Transmission Fails at 2,000 Miles - GM Won't Respond or Repair