C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Q&A with Tadge

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:58 PM
js59
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Then tell me what GM did that optimizes the C7 Z06, with a .35 Cd, for the track that makes it have a slower top speed than the C6 Z06/Z07 with a .35 Cd or the ZR1 with a .35 Cd?

Is it the ..........

145 more horsepower than the C6 Z06 and 12 more horsepower than the ZR1?

Increased spring rates?

eLSD?

Cup2 tires?

LED DRL's?

removable top?

Lack of a CD player?
Stat boy - please reconcile viper acr vs regular viper top speeds in comparison to cd.

What is your explanation of the 20 mph difference? Honestly?

I'm about ready to take back my comment about appearing to be a smart guy. If you follow the viper models over the years, it would be pretty obvious. You are either so pissed off about your Atari gauges and flimsy seats that it is clouding your judgment or you are just plain jealous of those that own a well rounded sports car.

Last edited by js59; 01-14-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:03 PM
jsiddall
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Then tell me what GM did that optimizes the C7 Z06, with a .35 Cd, for the track that makes it have a slower top speed than the C6 Z06/Z07 with a .35 Cd or the ZR1 with a .35 Cd?

Is it the ..........

Increased spring rates?

eLSD?

Cup2 tires?

LED lighting?

removable top?

Lack of a CD player?
Sorry, I have no good explanation, but I agree that something doesn't add up. With all the aero I would be surprised if the Cd is the same on the C7s as the C6 but who knows.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Is it the ..........

Increased spring rates?

eLSD?

Cup2 tires?

LED DRL's?

removable top?

Lack of a CD player?
CD formula has velocity squared, so perhaps the two cars have a CD taken a different speed? I mean yeah it's airplane talk where we consider lower velocity to be something bellow 200mph but….just a guess...
Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by js59
Congrats on the C6 Z06 - I had one too - at the same time as my C7. So, you are even closer to your dream car - put a supercharger on it, roll race and stop nitpicking the C7 track performance and relating it to straight line performance. They are obviously different!!!

Your complaining about a metric that the C7 Z06 was never designed to dominate is tiring . . .

And I am far more likely to run the 'ring (or another track) than to race anyone to 130mph, 150mph, 180mph or whatever on public roads. I have kids that I value more than life itself - and my personal choice to avoid doing reckless things that could take someone else's kids from them - or cause my kids to be fatherless. To each their own. There is about a 2 percent chance of me running the 'ring. There is a 0 percent change of me going 150mph on a public road.

And from what I am seeing, the Z06 wins the drag race over either C6 car - but I understand that you want a special drag race that starts at 30mph and ends well beyond the end of the quarter mile.
When you add slicks to the ZR1. Fartpipes 10.32@ 135.35 IS the fastest 1/4 mile. Z06 is yet to come close!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 PM
qlawson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the ..........

Increased spring rates?

eLSD?

Cup2 tires?

LED DRL's?

removable top?

Lack of a CD player?
As I understand it, the 186 mph figure corresponds to the Z07 configuration, with the higher Cd (.37?).

An important factor here is induced drag. This is directly related to downforce.

Also, Cd varies with the speed of airflow, uniquely influenced by the body shape.

Here are some additional resources on the subject:
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/drag.html
http://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/drageq.html
Old 01-14-2015, 11:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by qlawson
As I understand it, the 186 mph figure corresponds to the Z07 configuration, with the higher Cd (.37?).

An important factor here is induced drag. This is directly related to downforce.

Also, Cd varies with the speed of airflow, uniquely influenced by the body shape.

Here are some additional resources on the subject:
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/drag.html
http://wright.nasa.gov/airplane/drageq.html
The 186 number is what I've read but not from a credible GM source. And, like you state, it is probably is for the Z07 package, if it is the actual top speed. But the stage 1 C7 Z06 has a .35 Cd and has nowhere near the 205 MPH top speed of the ZR1with it's .35 Cd or the C6 Z06 with it's .34 Cd and 145 less horsepower.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-14-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mirage2991
CD formula has velocity squared, so perhaps the two cars have a CD taken a different speed? I mean yeah it's airplane talk where we consider lower velocity to be something bellow 200mph but….just a guess...
So, you think GM measures the Cd of it's products differently, just to confuse the people on this forum. The way I understand it, they measure the drag in the wind tunnel, and then based on the car's frontal area, they calculate the coefficient of drag.

Maybe they measure speed differently also...you think????? Maybe 186 MPH on a C7 is really the same as 205 MPH on a ZR1, but measured differently. Maybe they measured the C7 Z06 moving in reverse while they measured the ZR1 and the C6 Z06 moving forward?

Or maybe GM measured the mile with the C7 Z06 at 5642 feet while they the measured mile with the C6 Z06 or ZR1 at 5280 feet?

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-14-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by js59
Stat boy - please reconcile viper acr vs regular viper top speeds in comparison to cd.

What is your explanation of the 20 mph difference? Honestly?

I'm about ready to take back my comment about appearing to be a smart guy. If you follow the viper models over the years, it would be pretty obvious. You are either so pissed off about your Atari gauges and flimsy seats that it is clouding your judgment or you are just plain jealous of those that own a well rounded sports car.
Okay,

I have you recorded as not having a clue what you are talking about.....yawn!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:45 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jsiddall
Sorry, I have no good explanation, but I agree that something doesn't add up. With all the aero I would be surprised if the Cd is the same on the C7s as the C6 but who knows.
I'm just using the info that GM has provided. GM said the Cd of the ZR1 was .35 and GM said the Cd of the C7 Z06 stage 1 is .35.

.35 Cd = .35 Cd, anyway you want to look at it.

The C6 Z06 has a Cd of .34 but when you add the more aggressive front splitter, the side skirts and the larger spoiler from the ZR1, it has less lift but also a higher Cd of .35.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-14-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 PM
qlawson
Intermediate

The 186 number is what I've read but not from a credible GM source. And, like you state, it is probably is for the Z07 package, if it is the actual top speed. But the stage 1 C7 Z06 has a .35 Cd and has nowhere near the 205 MPH top speed of the ZR1 or the C6 Z06 with it's .34 Cd and 145 less horsepower.
My theory is that induced drag is the primary contributor to the top speed differences.

In the absence of published measurements, and using the limited information available, I assume the following:

Down force: C7Z06(Z07) > C7Z06(all others) > 0 > C6 ZR1 > C6 Z06

The production of downforce generates induced drag.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:10 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

My theory is that induced drag is the primary contributor to the top speed differences.

In the absence of published measurements, and using the limited information available, I assume the following:

Down force: C7Z06(Z07) > C7Z06(all others) > 0 > C6 ZR1 > C6 Z06

The production of downforce generates induced drag.
Don't you also increase the Cd when you increase downforce? If you take a car, say a stage1 C7 Z06 with a Cd of .35 and then add a splitter, spoiler and side skirts that creates, say, 100 pounds additional downforce, you will increase the drag and thus the coefficient of drag to , say, .37.

Any increase in drag increases the coefficient of drag.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:21 AM
qlawson
Intermediate

Don't you also increase the Cd when you increase downforce? If you take a car, say a stage1 C7 Z06 with a Cd of .35 and then add a splitter, spoiler and side skirts that creates, say, 100 pounds additional downforce, you will increase the drag and thus the coefficient of drag to , say, .37.

Any increase in drag increases the coefficient of drag.
That approach can be used, as demontrated in the NASA article I referenced earlier.

The total drag coefficient is equal to the drag coefficient at zero lift (Cdo), plus the induced drag coefficient.

Cd = Cd0 + Cl^2 / ( pi * Ar * e)
Cd0 is the coefficient of drag without induced drag.

Since downforce is a function of velocity, the above definition of Cd is dependent on velocity.

I believe GM's published Cd value is equivalent to the Cd0 in this scenario.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:32 AM
mrstage1
Intermediate

That approach can be used, as demontrated in the NASA article I referenced earlier.

Cd0 is the coefficient of drag without induced drag.

Since downforce is a function of velocity, the above definition of Cd is dependent on velocity.

I believe GM's published Cd value is equivalent to the Cd0 in this scenario.
winner right here. Without sourcing the formulas for the naysayers(who probably would still refuse to believe) the obvious answer is that the CD quoted is accurate. However, it is also plain as day the C7 Z has higher induced drag numbers as speeds elevate. Aero aids, lots of times, have little to no effect at lower speeds and also minimal drag as there isnt enough airflow to cause them to "work" at say 60mph. Therefore we see no "data" since they are basically not there. Now crank up the speed, increasing air speed differential over said aero aids top and bottom surface and the drag climbs as the begin doing their job. The act of redirecting the air over the surface gets harder to do as we get faster and faster.

Example. Hold your hand out the window of your car palm out at say 45degree incline. Do this at 20mph. Pretty easy to do. Now do the same at 70mph. Much harder to do as the airflow resistance is higher. Try it at a buck fifty and your arm damn near gets dislocated as the wind try to rip it backward.. Same phenomenon the Z06 is displaying.

Btw: CD is measured and calculated at xx speed. Likely below the threshold on the C7 Z06 before the aero bits get ahold. CALCULATED CD all factors included, is likely damn high above 125. Love to see a coast down from 150 by a C6 ZR1 and C7 Z06 to test that theory. Bet the C7 slows dramatically faster on coast down.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrstage1
winner right here. Without sourcing the formulas for the naysayers(who probably would still refuse to believe) the obvious answer is that the CD quoted is accurate. However, it is also plain as day the C7 Z has higher induced drag numbers as speeds elevate. Aero aids, lots of times, have little to no effect at lower speeds and also minimal drag as there isnt enough airflow to cause them to "work" at say 60mph. Therefore we see no "data" since they are basically not there. Now crank up the speed, increasing air speed differential over said aero aids top and bottom surface and the drag climbs as the begin doing their job. The act of redirecting the air over the surface gets harder to do as we get faster and faster.

Example. Hold your hand out the window of your car palm out at say 45degree incline. Do this at 20mph. Pretty easy to do. Now do the same at 70mph. Much harder to do as the airflow resistance is higher. Try it at a buck fifty and your arm damn near gets dislocated as the wind try to rip it backward.. Same phenomenon the Z06 is displaying.

Btw: CD is measured and calculated at xx speed. Likely below the threshold on the C7 Z06 before the aero bits get ahold. CALCULATED CD all factors included, is likely damn high above 125. Love to see a coast down from 150 by a C6 ZR1 and C7 Z06 to test that theory. Bet the C7 slows dramatically faster on coast down.
I understand what you are saying, but I also see the aero aids used on the stage 1 C7 Z06 to be pretty much identical looking to the aero aids on the ZR1. But then I see drag inducing items on the C7, such as the rear quarter panel scoops and the restrictive ducting and radiators used to cool the transmission and differential where as the ZR1 uses the engine coolant to cool the transmission and differential. That engine coolant is kept cool by the front mounted radiator, which the C7 also has. Routing the air through those scoops and through the ducting and the radiators can't be as smooth as the air flowing across the rear fenders and hatch on the C6.

The base C7 apparently also has a reduced top speed compared to the base C6, yet doesn't have the aero aids used on the Z06. I believe the C7's basic design isn't as "slippery" as the C6 or the C5 and that basic design is passed on to the Z06. I can't prove this, but I believe they made compromises in the C7's aero in order to achieve the "look" they wanted on the C7, from the start, that wasn't done on the C6.

What I find interesting is the GT-R's aero and downforce. The GT-R Nismo has a .26 Cd. Nissan increased the size of the rear wing and made revisions to the front splitter and the rocker panels to increase the downforce by 220 pounds at 185 MPh(I think that was the speed). But they also increased the car's Cd by doing that, so they made the front fascia a little wider and then lengthened the rear fascia a little while increasing it's taper and they ended up with a .26 Cd and it's top speed stayed at 196 MPH with the same 600 HP. Mt point....they increased the car's downforce but maintained the same top speed, by keeping the cd the same at .26. Velocity squared applies to the GT-R the same as any other C7 Z06 or the C6 Z06/ZR1.

I'm not arguing that increasing the downforce on the stage 2 and the Z07 increased the Cd and thus lowers the top speed, as it does, but I'm having a problem accepting that the same .35 Cd that is found on the stage 1 C7 Z06 and the ZR1 results in a sizable difference in the two's top speeds as they both have the same frontal area nearly the same horsepower(the C7 Z06 has the horsepower advantage). Nine MPH is sizable. I'm also having problems understanding why a 505 HP car with a .34 cd is two MPH faster than a 650 HP car with a .35 Cd. I don't understand how a .01 increase in the Cd negates 145 horsepower.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-15-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrstage1

Are you aware that if you stick your hand out the window of a C7 Z06, you have the exact same airflow resistance as if you stick your hand out at 45 degrees in a C6 ZR1, at any speed you choose. The additional drag would measure the same in a C7 Z06 as it would in a ZR1 and thus you would have a corresponding increase in both car's coefficient of drag.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:23 AM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

If they have the same power and the C7Z has a lower top speed, then it has more drag. Period. This is not debatable.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM
mrstage1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
If they have the same power and the C7Z has a lower top speed, then it has more drag. Period. This is not debatable.
yep

Get notified of new replies

To Q&A with Tadge

Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM
bdevault01
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the production specs are -

C6 ZR1
0-60: 3.3 seconds
1/4 Mile: 11.2 seconds

C7 Z06
0-60: 2.95 seconds
1/4 mile: 10.95 seconds (11.2 for the manual)

Then why does this thread exists. It says right there that the Z06 is faster..?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:59 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by bdevault01
If the production specs are -

C6 ZR1
0-60: 3.3 seconds
1/4 Mile: 11.2 seconds

C7 Z06
0-60: 2.95 seconds
1/4 mile: 10.95 seconds (11.2 for the manual)

Then why does this thread exists. It says right there that the Z06 is faster..?
Cause races are not run on paper
Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 PM
bdevault01
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess my sarcastic undertone wasn't obvious...

Quick Reply: Q&A with Tadge