C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

To all C7 Z owners that have/had a C6 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:21 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
This is suppose to be a thread for people who have owned both. Not c7 dreamers or c6 nuthuggers who have no intentions of having the c7.
So what are you doing here?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:37 PM
jrubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold my 13 zr1 to buy my c7 z06. I absolutely loved the zr1 but my c7 z06 is better in almost every aspect. I understand zr1 owners defending there car since I was a zr1 owner. I would be surprised if there are people who own both cars or have driven both cars, would choose the zr1. I do understand zr1 owners defending their cars. Like me, they have watched the value of their zr1 plummet. Most people who post on this forum don't own a zr1 or c7 z06.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:55 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
So what are you doing here?
Trying to steer the thread back in the direction that the op intended. This thread is suppose to be directed towards people who have owned BOTH. There are people on the fence that want to hear the opinions of those who have personally experienced both cars. Not opinions from those who have only owned one or the other, or in your and my cases, neither. Notice how I havent said one negative or positive thing about either car in this thread? I dont own either one but like the op want to hear from those who have had both. You and the other c6 guys in here are every bit as bad as the c7 cheerleaders but you dont see it.

now can we please get this thread on topic?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:58 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jrubicon
I sold my 13 zr1 to buy my c7 z06. I absolutely loved the zr1 but my c7 z06 is better in almost every aspect. I understand zr1 owners defending there car since I was a zr1 owner. I would be surprised if there are people who own both cars or have driven both cars, would choose the zr1. I do understand zr1 owners defending their cars. Like me, they have watched the value of their zr1 plummet. Most people who post on this forum don't own a zr1 or c7 z06.
Any pictures of your two corvettes? Any chance you can give a more detailed comparison? For example, personal opinion on looks, ride, interior, handling, sounds, road noise, handling, stability, etc? Any additional information of your thoughts on the two cars would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The funny thing is does anybody on here that owned a ZR1 and got rid of it for a ZO6 would admit the ZR1 was a better car if they felt that way? Who ever buys a ZO6 will justify his purchase to the end. You will never get a true opinion. I'm outta here as I don't belong in this thread.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM
carnut52
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I've owned both and sold my ZR1 for my C7Z. I wanted to keep it but couldn't justify the ZR1 just sitting. Last year I only put 1500 miles on it. I had a C7 vert as my daily driver and found it much easier to drive over the rough Michigan roads. $1600 for a front ZR1 splitter convinced me that it wasn't an everyday car. I don't mind the new Z sitting higher because I haven't had any dragging issues. I found the ZR1 roomier but the electronics a bit dated compared to the C7. If I could only chose one it would definitely be the C7Z
Old 01-08-2015, 07:19 PM
MrZR1sc
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ZR1 or Z06

I have had two ZR1's and kept my 2010. Just picked up our new Z06 vert last Wednesday, but right now with 23 below wind chill not really getting to put any miles on our new baby! I have read all the back and forth on this forum in regards to which car is the better one. All I can say is I have put over 30k miles on my two ZR1's and could not bring myself to part with mine. That being said when the weather warms up and I can break her in I will post my true impressions then. I will say that the 84 miles I have put on the Z06 so far really felt good and extremely responsive and tight! Bring on the warm weather!!!! Picture of the two roomies attached!
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2015, 07:23 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MrZR1sc
I have had two ZR1's and kept my 2010. Just picked up our new Z06 vert last Wednesday, but right now with 23 below wind chill not really getting to put any miles on our new baby! I have read all the back and forth on this forum in regards to which car is the better one. All I can say is I have put over 30k miles on my two ZR1's and could not bring myself to part with mine. That being said when the weather warms up and I can break her in I will post my true impressions then. I will say that the 84 miles I have put on the Z06 so far really felt good and extremely responsive and tight! Bring on the warm weather!!!! Picture of the two roomies attached!
Very Bad ***! Congrats.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
The funny thing is does anybody on here that owned a ZR1 and got rid of it for a ZO6 would admit the ZR1 was a better car if they felt that way? Who ever buys a ZO6 will justify his purchase to the end. You will never get a true opinion. I'm outta here as I don't belong in this thread.
Yep.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Denstoy968
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Are you a former ZR1 owner? Shezz! For the 69,500 I paid for my ZR1 with warranty till 9-15. With 2250 miles 14 months ago.
An equal Z07 with equal equiptment Z07 is around 104,000. So lots of Value
on a cool and more excusive than even the new C7 and in another 2 years there will plenty of Z06's around. The true Corvette guys know this and have
a ZR1 also the C6 z06 is a great value. Thats why I'm lucky to have all three real soon!

The C6 Z cars has advantages that the C7Z06 doesn't have and can't get. C7 Z06 will never touch this time EVER with full mods this is 40 seconds faster.
So yes the C7 and C7 Z07 are great handling cars and milestones
I just got my financing at 1.69 for my new Z06 today.
I also sold a C7 with blower kit.

1.69% - wow that's awesome! Can you share what bank or CU you went to please? Thanks!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:27 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by red2012
So then who's opinions do we listen to? Those that have owned both at least have some real world experience to go on. If we cant trust someone who owned both, who can we trust?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:33 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Trying to steer the thread back in the direction that the op intended. This thread is suppose to be directed towards people who have owned BOTH. There are people on the fence that want to hear the opinions of those who have personally experienced both cars. Not opinions from those who have only owned one or the other, or in your and my cases, neither. Notice how I havent said one negative or positive thing about either car in this thread? I dont own either one but like the op want to hear from those who have had both. You and the other c6 guys in here are every bit as bad as the c7 cheerleaders but you dont see it.

now can we please get this thread on topic?
Specific to the people that may be on the fence...

Although I have not driven a C7Z, I do own a C6 ZR1 and I can say that the ZR1 is a proven winner in both performance, comfort, and styling.

There's been several real world tests that we've had the pleasure of viewing on the forum, that compares the two's performance value. The tests have been close, some to the the advantage of the Z, and some to the ZR.

With that said, the performance differences aren't enough to sway me to either car.

What you have left is exterior styling, and interior differences.

If you are in the camp of liking the C6 ZR1 styling over the C7Z styling, and you can live with the previous generation interior than you're in luck!!! You'll be able to buy an '09 ZR1 for around $65K which is about a $40K savings over a comparably equipped C7Z.

Very honestly, I wouldn't trade my '10 ZR1 for a new Z, even if there were no money out of pocket to do so.(Styling preference)

Old 01-08-2015, 07:37 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by H2LS3

I have a c7z and my Dad has a c6 zr1. They are nestled together for the winter here, so I don't have any real good feedback. In the limited time I drove my c7z I think you could feel the extra torque down low, and it felt less like it would bite you. I think the c7z will handle better. I always felt like you need to wind the c6 zr1 up to get it to go and that also made it a bit "scary" to drive fast. I also had a c7 z51, and I am hoping the c7z will take the good qualities of the stingray (stable, easy to drive, and tech) and then get the speed similar to a c6 zr1.

It would be hard to give up a c6 zr1 for a c7z. The zr1 will be more rare, seems to be faster up top, and is just flat out a real cool car.

Both of you have great taste in cars congrats!!..I'm sort of on the fence if I should trade my ZR1 on a C7z so can't answer your question but I sure do love my ZR1 but I will say the C7 takes the nod in the looks dept.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Just picked mine up today at NCM, and only have a handful of miles on it. But by tomorrow night will have over 700. I'll stop by this thread OP and give you my impressions. I will tell you I absolutely love my ZR1. It was an impressive machine when new, and remains so today. It is a performance beast, which is why I kept it. I'm liking the new Z as well - but will let you know more in a couple days.

Congrats OP!!......
Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Congrats!!..awesome twosome....
Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

very sweet.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:48 PM
hardhattg
ZR1TG
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 85 Posts

in reality you will probably only pay another 15-20k for the new z06 .

the new car is a much more solid build so much so that its noticeable . more german like then American .

I traded zr-1 and don't regret trade for a minute , my car is black /black 2lz with black wheels , pdr , nav etc..etc very nicely equipped 84k to pay 105 you have to check off every box they have and the Z07 package is of no value unless you like the wild look or will road race . actually slows the car down since for some reason at 100k+ you still don't get active aero .

the z06 is so much better in every single way except straight line performance probably the biggest weak point of the z06 . so as stated if that's something your interested in you will be disappointed in the z06 . as a quarter mile car new z06 will do ok about same as c6z and zr1 but does not feel anything like a zr-1 for raw power and theres a reason for that .

the camp that prefers the styling of the c6 I suspect are c6 owners that haven't moved up yet , the new cars styling is amazing and universally accepted as not having a bad angle on it , beautiful car .

I wouldn't take my zr-1 back . I love the new car but I don't roll race .

Do I wish the new z06 was faster then it is ABSOLUTLEY !!

for the record I have owned 5 c 6 cars two z51 m two z06 and one zr1

Get notified of new replies

To To all C7 Z owners that have/had a C6 ZR1

Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Both of you have great taste in cars congrats!!..I'm sort of on the fence if I should trade my ZR1 on a C7z so can't answer your question but I sure do love my ZR1 but I will say the C7 takes the nod in the looks dept.
I guess that's where some completely disagree.

I wasn't thrilled when the C6 narrow body was introduced, but when the new C6Z came out in '06 model year I was instantly impressed with the looks. The performance was also quite a leap ahead of my C5Z. Ended up buying a C6Z in '09.

I've given the C7 a chance, but I personally haven't warmed up to "many" of it's styling cues. Don't think it's going to happen at this point. (I don't hate it, but just don't like enough to own one)

JMHO...
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 PM
vettec4c5c6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hand Eye 8
Hello All,

I'm honestly have a hard time deciding between the two. I love both. I'm not going to track the car, but might do some roll racing here and there with my friends C6Z and others.

I was hoping the forum members would be able to help me with my decision. I know some members traded them for the C7Z and some members still have them, so I'm hoping to get some good feedback.

Which do like you better and why? How do they compare? Do you notice a difference in speed?

Help!!
i am keeping my 2010 ZR1 which i bought new at msrp 120k. it is a tremendous car. I never will sell it. it is a daily driver--smile every day.
I have ordered a c7Z06 laguna blue vert A8 for about 100k msrp.
my recommendation, if you want a vert, get the c7. otherwise get the zr1 now and buy a used c7z06 in a few years and enjoy both.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Travis's new ride aka OnPoint.

Last edited by sam90lx; 01-08-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: To all C7 Z owners that have/had a C6 ZR1