C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

You May Know This - A8

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 11:52 AM
morganjo5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You May Know This - A8

I realize with the A8, the paddles can be used to downshift. But in Race/Competition Mode, not using the paddles, will the computer use engine braking as it automatically downshifts as you apply the brakes into a corner? Or, will you coast and just have to use the brakes? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:12 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Since no one has an A8 Z06, you might get better responses asking this in the Stingray forum. I think there's already some discussion over there about response in Sport and Track modes.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:27 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I suspect it will be just like the A6. It will only downshift when you're going slow enough to downshift into 2nd, and that's at about 5 mph or so. It won't know that you're entering a "4th gear" corner and downshift for you.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:49 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

I disagree. I believe the "semi-pro" driver that drove the A-8 Z06 for the Motor Trend's most recient article (forgot his name) even remarked how "intuitive" the A-8 was, and that it not only down shifted, automatically, but did so where he would not have thought to do so. He discussed that during hard braking the down shifts were nearly "seamless" and imperceptable. I don't think however, if you are expecting the trans to down shift while decending a long down grade while hwy driving that the trans will provide "compression braking", without a paddle selection. What I described was more "track" (read hard braking) related issues.

Last edited by foreverfuelie; 01-04-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:51 PM
AV Guy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my A8 Stingray, if you are in "Sport" or "Track" mode, when you start driving aggressively it goes into a "Performance Shifting Mode" (indicated in instrument cluster) and will hold gears for several seconds without up shifting and also down shifts very aggressively on its own when you start braking.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:14 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AV Guy
In my A8 Stingray, if you are in "Sport" or "Track" mode, when you start driving aggressively it goes into a "Performance Shifting Mode" (indicated in instrument cluster) and will hold gears for several seconds without up shifting and also down shifts very aggressively on its own when you start braking.
Sweet
Old 01-04-2015, 07:05 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Would be cool to know exactly how to activate Performance Driving Mode...

Other than driving hard etc....sometimes it seems most want the Performance Driving Mode at will and that's their beef..

Would be cool to be able to activate Track or sport mode and lock in Performance Driving Mode with the flick of a switch.

I believe BMW has that capability with its Idrive ..... Corvette should offer that capability to the driver ...

I think the A8 will be off the chart cool....or at least I'm hopeful .....to hear owners raving about it once they take possession.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:12 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by AV Guy
Wow, never been so happy to be wrong. even more reason for me to try to fit an A8 into my GS.......

Last edited by jbondfl; 01-04-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To You May Know This - A8

Quick Reply: You May Know This - A8