C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

891 miles-now engine is blown

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:04 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvett01
Sorry for your loss Lawdogg, feel your pain waiting on a new motor my self.
lt1 or lt4? what was your problem?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft
Agree, bet it spun rod or main bearing and the noise he was hearing was the piston slapping the cylinder head and the bearings literally welding themselves to the crankshaft. Never a good sound to hear. I am truly sorry for your loss.
Sent you a PM the other day. Wanted to talk with you about it. Give me a call.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvandentop
lt1 or lt4? what was your problem?
X2

Curious minds would like to know
Old 12-30-2014, 09:12 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shurshot
X2

Curious minds would like to know
He has a thread on the general discussion area. It was a LT-1. But sounds very similar to the way my engine sounded. But his dealer test drove his like 107 miles or so. Mine want be driven around like that without a fire truck close by.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft
Agree, bet it spun rod or main bearing and the noise he was hearing was the piston slapping the cylinder head and the bearings literally welding themselves to the crankshaft. Never a good sound to hear. I am truly sorry for your loss.
Not trying to stir the pot or cast aspersions on Jeremy's driving abilities, but I'm curious about whether this could happen by missing a gear? I've noticed the gates on my new Z are definitely closer together than my ZR1. Thus, it seems like missing a gear could more easily happen during hard pulls.

I ask because I'm wondering if GM could determine this and potentially void a warranty??
Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Omg ! Here we go again!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:22 PM
roleku
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM has some serious quality issues with C7. I would demand my $100K back.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
He has a thread on the general discussion area. It was a LT-1. But sounds very similar to the way my engine sounded. But his dealer test drove his like 107 miles or so. Mine want be driven around like that without a fire truck close by.
Gotcha,

Thanks for the reply

IMO most motor failures fall into a very narrow class but with similar root causes such as torque discrepancies or lubrication failure for one reason or another.

There are exceptions such as back when "stroked" small blocks first became the rage but before "sandwiched" cam bearing became the known solution for successful cam bearing longevity in said motors.

Glad you are getting a whole new motor, IMO the wise choice.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

not good at all...

glad GM is replacing the engine...G-L with all the related repairs.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 739 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Not trying to stir the pot or cast aspersions on Jeremy's driving abilities, but I'm curious about whether this could happen by missing a gear? I've noticed the gates on my new Z are definitely closer together than my ZR1. Thus, it seems like missing a gear could more easily happen during hard pulls.

I ask because I'm wondering if GM could determine this and potentially void a warranty??
Part of the 'data dump' from the ECU would be looking to make sure a 'money shift' hadn't occured. Since GM is honouring the warranty, no such over-rev event must have been found.
Bish
Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
No vin # on the drivetrain. Engine replacement will show on carfax.

No one looks at engines for numbers as they have there own number.
Got it and thank you!
Old 12-30-2014, 10:06 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

OP - sorry to hear about this. If they're willing to do a new engine, I'd go for that (plus new oil lines, oil cooler etc to make sure no metal bits floating around). Don't know if you can convince them on a new car.

My neighbor had the engine blow in his new BMW M5 - failed oiling/oil pump failure. He wanted a new car, but BMW refused and swapped out the engine for a new one.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:07 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Just saw this story on yahoo.com reported by Motor Authority.. lol
Old 12-30-2014, 10:08 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

No over rev occurred.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:12 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Seems my story has gotten wings. Just got a call from my brother in Ohio and he isnt even a Corvette fan.

Again I must state GM has said they will handle this and I am willing to let them try. But If they dont know what caused it or how to fix it who is to say it wont happen again.

Also how do I get the info if this will show on Carfax. Some have said it will some said it wont. Indeed if it can be proven I will ask for that diminished value. Anyone that knows me know that I usually dont keep cars very long.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:12 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry for this occurrence. No one should have to go through this.

You should really be getting a new car. I'm pretty sure you will have to disclose the engine replacement when it comes time to sell. As others have stated why start off with a diminished value vehicle with less than 1000 miles on it.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:23 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire

Originally Posted by thebishman
Part of the 'data dump' from the ECU would be looking to make sure a 'money shift' hadn't occured. Since GM is honouring the warranty, no such over-rev event must have been found.
Bish
Driver negligence is never going to void the warranty. Federal (Magnuson-Moss Act) and state laws are very protective of consumers.

For a manufacturer to void a warranty they have to prove intentional misuse that actually caused the failure. If a manufacturer could void a warranty for fully foreseeable mishaps (ie missing a gear), our warranties would be useless. This is why the Uniform Commercial Code protected consumers with implied warranties even before specific federal and state laws were enacted.

Last edited by dwward; 12-30-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 891 miles-now engine is blown

Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Sorry to hear of your having this problem. To your original post regarding your two options, that reminds me of the high number of Pontiac RAM Air IV engines in the GTO that grenaded back in 69 and 70. Virtually all of them got new S.R. (service replacement) blocks under warranty. To find a 60 or 70 GTO with its original numbers matching engine is a rare thing indeed nowadays. The ones that seem to have them all came with automatic transmissions. Most of the blown engines were due to guys missing a shift and that engine was a high-revving engine anyway. There are too many nannies on these Vettes to let that happen now.

GM has a lot of experience over 100s of thousands of cars over the last 75 plus years dealing with blown engines. Yours, as frustrating as it is for you at the moment, won't be the last. I'm glad to see you are keeping a great attitude about letting them work the issue and get you satisfied. That is a great approach and I hope it all works out for the good.

BJ
Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 PM
nvrpc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shame

Gone

Last edited by nvrpc; 01-03-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Well bad news today! Last Friday I had a catastrophic failure of my engine in my 2015 Z06. I was out putting some more miles on the car to get ready for my track event at road atlanta Jan 10 and 11. While making a pull from 35 mph I accelerated and shifted short of redline and boom. Car began knocking. I pulled over and popped hood. Could hear a loud knock coming from # 6 cylinder area along with a serious grinding metal on metal sound coming from the supercharger area.

Had Gm roadside service come tow the car to the dealership. Beware gm will only pay for 25 miles. My dealer which is the closest corvette certified dealer was over 40 miles away. I had to pay the overage of $40 out of my pocket. I will be fighting with GM over this one.

Dealer called today and said there was indeed failure in #6 valve train. They were instructed not to tear into the engine because it needs to be evaluated by them.

They gave me two options.

1. Allow Gm to take apart the engine and patch repair it. This option would of kept my original numbers matching engine in the car.

2. Replace the engine as a whole. This was the best option in my opinion due that I track my cars alot. I dont want any more issues with this engine.

So dealer went ahead and notified GM to send another engine. Who knows how long this will take. I really fell bummed out with GM right now. Sure this is a first year car and I understand that. But this is not the first time I have had to do R&D for the big GM. Just last year I was the first private owner to track my C7 Z51. That car over heated on a November cool day down here at Road Atlanta. Both the Transmission (M7) and engine. I made a post here and notified the engineering dept through my dealer. No one even followed up or cared.

My biggest surprise of this situation is that GM wasn't surprised at all about this situation. Seems this has occurred before with the test fleet vehicles.

I come here and post to not to bash GM but to warn you fellow Corvette owners before you go out and tune or modify your cars. Sure this may of been a issue in just a few but there was alot of looking into my computer files and such to find any mods. Sure GM would love to not have to pay for this $23,999 engine.

I will keep this thread update. Please please trolls dont destroy this thread with useless comments.
The car I ordered and cancelled arrived at the dealer today. I saw it while I was there and was almost about ready to change my mind again and take it but this post just gave me the *******. On further thought, I wonder if the apparent ECU issue was meant for a reason after seeing this. It would not be unusual for technical management at GM to place intentional limits on this car in the early production models because they have an unfielded system and everyone knows it will certainly have teething problems of some kind. You need to know things like how well your suppliers can deliver quality materials, or how the user will operate the car, or if you covered every potential risk in the production cycle. By intentionally degrading performance you can find and correct problems before they become catastrophic, especially to the brand. Once early errors are found and corrected, in time, the ECU thing can go away.

Sorry for your headaches lawdogg. And I feel sorry for the guys at GM of whom I'm sure many are working diligently to field a car under the stress of getting the job done right under the pressure of saving their livelihood and the brand.

Last edited by Foxer55; 12-30-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 891 miles-now engine is blown