C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Vette magazine test of Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:08 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirl
Just curious.. what rear does the Z06 have?
Seems a 1.6 60' wouldn't be easy unless it has a 3.42 or lower. Can't wait to see "real" track times though. There are a lot of people on here that know how to drive and a 650hp car certainly is capable of high 10's.
Manual has a 3.42 but only a 2.29 first gear. The C6 Z06 had a 3.42 but a 2.66 first gear.

The C7 Z06 auto has a 2.41 rear gear but a stump pulling 4.56 first gear.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:25 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 455 Likes on 256 Posts

10.5 bone stock? Lol.........ol.
If a "bone stock" C6Z can run a 10.98 (in negative DA and a good sticky track) against a Mfgr's test time of 11.7 are you really so short sighted that you absolutely can't believe a 10.5 against a Mfgr's advertised 10.85? Buckle up because you're going to be surprised then!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:55 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

10.5@130 is the time most people expected and would have been ecstatic over...with all the issues/extra downforce we know now I don't see that happening...under 11 yes mid 10's NO..
Old 12-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

I think the problem is the drivers, the cars are very capable but just because a c7z owner go's to the track and dont get good runs in its the cars fault? what about driver error, track condition, tire pressure and weather? just cause some one has the means to pick up one of these cars it does not mean he or she is a good driver.

I have a friend the has a c7 ran back to back 11.7's all stock on stock tires 460hp, now the c7z with 650hp is only running 11.5x? 190hp more? just cause the car is able to do it does not mean every buddy can do it.

I have a friend with a gt500 stang with a tune and bolt ons he should be running 11's his best run is only a 12.2x but he's a not the best driver its as simple as that.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:11 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Oh Nineball, ye of little faith! If you're talking about negative DA on a good track Jamie Furman ran a bone stock C6Z to a 10.98 @ 128.9 so I think it would be fair to say that within the next year you can expect to see the C7Z as follows:
A8 10.5 @ 131+
M7 10.7 @ 132+
I wasn't talking about hero runs made in -2000 ft DA. Just a cold weather normal day that many people might get a chance at running in. The hero passes should certainly beat the C6Z. But, those C6Z factory 19" rear tires were pretty sticky, too. 20" Michelin Super Sports are not, and Michelin Pilot Sport Cups turn into rocks below 45F. You also have to wonder how the aero of the C7 varies from the C6, especially above 120 mph.

Looking forward to seeing some drivers take these cars out to the track!
Old 12-26-2014, 01:21 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by F&Yb0dluvr
10.5@130 is the time most people expected and would have been ecstatic over...with all the issues/extra downforce we know now I don't see that happening...under 11 yes mid 10's NO..

Can and A8 Z run 10.5's? Hmmm, possibly, but I think it will need at least some DR's and great track prep. Adding a tune and a CAI kit will certainly help, and may reach that mid 10 mark on stock tires.

Back in 2006, I ran 11.4's @ 127 with my Z06 - BONE freaking STOCK with GY run craps!!!

A month or so later we added: a tune, ARH w/cats, my vette-air scoop with stock blue paper filter cut in half and ran: 10.9's @130 - yep...again with GY run craps.

As far as the new Z, I'll be able to better judge its potential once I see some real bone stock runs with stock tires then predict. Meaning, let's see what real people with some racing background/skills can pull off from it.

Right now things are looking a little fuzzy, but time will tell.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 12-26-2014, 04:36 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Can and A8 Z run 10.5?:
Car and Driver ran an 11.1 with an A8 basically taking all the driver skill out...I don't doubt hero runs will be under 11 seconds with an A8 but .6 better then C&D's? I doubt it..
Old 12-26-2014, 05:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Can and A8 Z run 10.5's? Hmmm, possibly, but I think it will need at least some DR's and great track prep. Adding a tune and a CAI kit will certainly help, and may reach that mid 10 mark on stock tires.

Back in 2006, I ran 11.4's @ 127 with my Z06 - BONE freaking STOCK with GY run craps!!!

A month or so later we added: a tune, ARH w/cats, my vette-air scoop with stock blue paper filter cut in half and ran: 10.9's @130 - yep...again with GY run craps.

As far as the new Z, I'll be able to better judge its potential once I see some real bone stock runs with stock tires then predict. Meaning, let's see what real people with some racing background/skills can pull off from it.

Right now things are looking a little fuzzy, but time will tell.

Thanks,
Carlos
What do you mean by "cut the stock blue paper filter in half"?
Old 12-26-2014, 06:21 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Just think how many owners or soon to be got their hopes up......only to fall back down

http://verasgifstorage.tumblr.com/post/16786215285
Old 12-26-2014, 06:25 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Car and Driver ran an 11.1 with an A8 basically taking all the driver skill out...I don't doubt hero runs will be under 11 seconds with an A8 but .6 better then C&D's? I doubt it..
I dont know if you drag race much, but in case you don't know, there is plenty of driving skills involved even when racing with an auto transmission; it is not just get in and go like many would think. I've seen wannabe yahoos make this mistake at the track ALL THE TIME. Yes, with an auto there is a little less [shifting wise] involvement vs the manual trans, but you must nail down other key variables in order to lay down good and consistent ET's

FWIW, my runs back in the day were not hero runs, I backed them up by running back to back to back...just how I do things when tuning/testing on the dyno to verify "real" gains/improments.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 12-26-2014, 06:37 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What do you mean by "cut the stock blue paper filter in half"?
If you recall, the stock LS7 air filter was a huge hunk element. We decided to cut it in half or slightly less than half - from left to right and glued the layers using floor carpet glue. The filter went from roughly like 8" (front face to back face) thick, down to rougly 4" or slightly less.

Cutting it down in size increased air flow. Oh yeah, we also removed the carbon mat that was glued inside the bottom of the stock air bridge. We tuned the vehicle to take advantage of this new found breathing capabilities

It was our little secret back then; folks were like: how is this car running consistently 10's on GY run craps. It also helped that many of us have been drag racing for years - driving/using the power at the track or streets is not a problem for us

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 12-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
If a "bone stock" C6Z can run a 10.98 (in negative DA and a good sticky track) against a Mfgr's test time of 11.7 are you really so short sighted that you absolutely can't believe a 10.5 against a Mfgr's advertised 10.85? Buckle up because you're going to be surprised then!
Assuming stock rubber....10.5 wont happen........Traction limitations are going to be a factor....
Old 12-26-2014, 07:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

If you recall, the stock LS7 air filter was a huge hunk element. We decided to cut it in half or slightly less than half - from left to right and glued the layers using floor carpet glue. The filter went from roughly like 8" (front face to back face) thick, down to rougly 4" or slightly less.

Cutting it down in size increased air flow. Oh yeah, we also removed the carbon mat that was glued inside the bottom of the stock air bridge. We tuned the vehicle to take advantage of this new found breathing capabilities

It was our little secret back then; folks were like: how is this car running consistently 10's on GY run craps. It also helped that many of us have been drag racing for years - driving/using the power at the track or streets is not a problem for us

Thanks,
Carlos
The blue paper air filter used on the C6 Z06 is a Donaldson PowerCore.

First of all, On the C6 Z06, it's not 8" from the front face to the rear of the filter, but is 5 inches. no way did any C6 Z06 come with a paper filter that had an 8" depth.

Second, if one were to slice the filter in half, then you will cut the filtering area in half, meaning you would get less air flow as you would be forcing the air to pass though half the square inches of filtering media. Of course, when you sliced the filter in half, then you would have to seal every one of the tubes that were sealed originally( hundreds of them) on the exit side of the filter, in order to have any filtering of the air. If you didn't seal them up, then you would have zero filtering of the air.

On the front of the PowerCore filter, every other "tube" is open and the adjacent "tube" is closed. On the backside(exit) of the filter, the tubes that are open on the front(entrance) are closed and every tube that is closed at the front is open at the rear.

The incoming air enters the open tube at the front of the filter and passes through the tube's paper wall into the adjacent tube and exits out the open tube at the rear of the filter.

Instead of the (actual) 5" length of the tubes, cutting then in half, would reduce them to 2 1/2" in length, thus cutting the number of ultra tiny openings in the wall of the tube to half of what they were when the length of the tube was cut in half.

What you did was the equivalent of the racer 40 years ago that removed a 14" diameter x 3" tall paper filter on a 1966 SS396 and replaced it with a 14" diameter X 1 1/2" paper filter. That's not what we did back then. We stacked two filters to get a total of 6" height to help get additional air to the carburetor, by providing twice the filtering area.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-26-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:47 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Different Animal!

Originally Posted by irok
don't see that happening anytime soon.
We can't look straight at it! It has foot to the floor capability, and the ZR1's ridiculous first gear didn't allow that!

Old 12-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 602 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
I think the problem is the drivers, the cars are very capable but just because a c7z owner go's to the track and dont get good runs in its the cars fault? what about driver error, track condition, tire pressure and weather? just cause some one has the means to pick up one of these cars it does not mean he or she is a good driver.

I have a friend the has a c7 ran back to back 11.7's all stock on stock tires 460hp, now the c7z with 650hp is only running 11.5x? 190hp more? just cause the car is able to do it does not mean every buddy can do it.

I have a friend with a gt500 stang with a tune and bolt ons he should be running 11's his best run is only a 12.2x but he's a not the best driver its as simple as that.
You have a very good point. Most of the car's capabilities is on the driver. A few months ago we observed a ZR1 run 11.99@126 and I am quite sure that he could have run mid 11's......driver skill just wasn't there.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Fore58
You have a very good point. Most of the car's capabilities is on the driver. A few months ago we observed a ZR1 run 11.99@126 and I am quite sure that he could have run mid 11's......driver skill just wasn't there.
I go to the track a lot guys less say with something that's suppose to run 12.50's can only get a 13.20 ET they always say the same thing "SOMETHINGS WRONG WITH MY CAR" yup the driver! my cousin has a ctsV when he drives it car runs 12.50's, we pulled him out of the car so some one else could drive it and they got back to back 12.1's on the 3rd and 4th passes never drove the car before except 4 times down the track and its an auto
Old 12-26-2014, 11:52 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,768 Likes on 3,180 Posts

did you ever watch one of their "0-60" test explanation vids?? i wish i could link the video i saw a while back of one of the writers from C&D. Says that even though "they" couldn't achieve a particular number with a car, they use computers to generate the fastest possible time... wth?

He explained further that this is what they PUBLISH... so watch the video and then ask yourself if you can believe any times they publish as times THEY were able to replicate.. crazy after all these DECADES you hear it from (one of the ) horses mouth what many of us always thought was an impossibility.. manufactured times?

Get notified of new replies

To Vette magazine test of Z06

Old 12-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,580 Likes on 666 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Manual has a 3.42 but only a 2.29 first gear. The C6 Z06 had a 3.42 but a 2.66 first gear.

The C7 Z06 auto has a 2.41 rear gear but a stump pulling 4.56 first gear.

Thanks for this info. I would say definately capable of a 10.7 in the 1/4 due to the rear and HP then. Auto should be able to pull a 1.6/1.5 60' with a 4.56 first gear. Tracks in NJ will get the job done!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 592 Posts

When I read some of the replies in this thread I have to chuckle. I can say this that after running both my previous Corvettes in the Corvette Challenge up at Englishtown for 8 years before moving down here to SW Florida in 2011 there's a bigass difference between so called "published times" and reality. The first thing you have to do is forget totally any published times and concentrate on "seat time" ! Learn to drive your car first. The more experience the better chance you'll get at even being close to what the car's supposed to do. And run at a well prepped track and listen to the guys that run all the time. I can tell you this that with some of the best racers up there in the country I can count on one hand the times I saw guys consistantly run their C6 Z under the so called "published times". The same will be true with the C7 Z's too. You can count on that.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 AM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I saw guys consistantly run their C6 Z under the so called "published times". The same will be true with the C7 Z's too. :
I don't think some people are saying it won't beat published times just that it it won't beat them by a FULL second... Here's an 11.5 street run though...has anyone seen a low 11 stock 7spd time yet? Bueller?

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 12-27-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Vette magazine test of Z06