C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: Why is the C7 Z06 so Polarizing???
I bought a Z because it's the best performance value on the market
38.30%
I'm buying a performance car, but not a Z, because it's not fast enough
6.38%
I'm buying a performance car, but not a Z, because it's not engineered and/or built well
6.81%
I'm planning to buy a Z when the time is right
40.43%
I don't plan to buy a Z or any other performance car now
8.09%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by NineBall
Because we were continually told that the C7Z would out-perform the ZR1, in all aspects.
GM never stated this. I never saw anybody seriously make such a claim on this forum, despite claims to the contrary by you and a few others. It's funny how this is continually repeated.

The Z06 does outperform the ZR1 in a number of metrics. These are metrics that will be very valuable on-track. This was GM's goal. Whether or not the tune will severely impact sustained performance on-track is yet to be determined. I think it's somewhat likely that if it's pulling ~20 rwhp at a point, it will reflect in lap times. But how much? If I lose a second between the first lap of my session and the last, I don't think I am going to notice it in a DE situation while managing traffic, etc.. If it starts slowing down...2...3...4 seconds a lap...it will very apparent. Data will reveal it. I will likely run the car at Daytona first. It will be interesting to see vmax before braking into T1 and T8 as the sessions continue.
S.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:24 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Because we were continually told that the C7Z would out-perform the ZR1, in all aspects. When the HP/TQ was announced as higher than the ZR1, we had no reason to doubt that. I don't put a lot of weight on magazine tests, as I feel most of them drive with limp-wrists and probably scared of the cars they test. I, and many others, have consistently beat their times and results. That is why I crack up about those who race articles against other articles.

BTW, I'm also a vehicle racist. I like all American brands, with my favorite leaning towards GM. I still consider myself a "Camaro guy", no matter how exotic or expensive cars I might own will be. I do like some euro cars for their engineering. I usually dislike about 90% of the asian market cars, however. Those Japanese cars look too sterile, and have no soul. The GT-R has never appealed to me, other than how quick it is. I'm not even a Mopar fan, I just like Vipers. They are the epitome of F-U! THIS IS 'MURICA! The Vipers give the euro cars the big middle finger. That is why I like them.

Thanks for righting the wrongs of car magazine testing on the corvette forum.

Are you a member of the various car magazine forums like car and driver and motor trend? I haven't seen you there for some reason...

You should right the wrongs you see in life right at the source of your problem. Motor trends waiting for you....so are the members of the car and driver forums...

From a time management standpoint you would be more effective in your cause to right those "terrible wrongs" right at the source....

Thanks for running one data point and talking about in every thread at the corvette forum. You feel you were lied to in one aspect of the c7 z06 superior performance and you are seemingly going to continue to discuss this in every c7 z06 thread that can possibly fit that accomplishment into...

Your validity of scientific three toot pulls on the highway never ceases to amaze you.

A super hero in your own mind....righting the wrongs of your opinion of absolute superiority in every possible scenario.....

You found a highway three toot test where you could disprove said superiority.....and you proceed to tell everyone over and over again in as many threads as possible....

Thanks! There was a second or two I was on this forum I didn't see you post up your single data test and I was worried you crashed your car or something replicating that test again..

Stay well for the holidays...

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-24-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Respectfully disagree. Edelbrock has successfully marketed these systems in the past as DIY possible kits. If the somewhat mechanically competent "home gamer" could install these, seems hard to believe that the assembly line would have problems. Hell, ECS sells Centri kits for the C7 base car that are designed for installation via mail order, and making gobs of power.

Now the bean counters? Ummmm, maybe, but if that were true, and IF it turns out that the smallish stock blower is quickly attaining very high temps as referenced in an earlier mag test, it would be a shame that GM would not just consider the Edelbrock type solution even if it resulted in an extra $2000 or so per car. I mean, at the price levels the typical Z is sold at, I don't think that difference is relevant.
IMO it has nothing to do with the BGAP. It is the fact that the Edelbrock "kit" was not designed to meet the OEM's very stringent and demanding durability testing. OEM standards are typically far higher than an aftermarket manufacturer. Edelbrock might warranty the compressor assembly for 100k miles, but they aren't going to warranty your engine.
S.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:32 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys will be guys and we have to do our dick measuring I guess.
Vipers are obviously awesome cars and no big shame in losing a race or two to a Viper or any other high end sports car.

The c7 z06 does some things better than a Viper and the Viper does some things better than the z06. Not everyone likes Viper looks or wants to own one. Same goes for the Corvette.

On paper the Viper probably should win over the c7 . It's rated nearly identical in power 640 hp in the 2013 and 2014s and 645 in the 2015 model versus factory rating of 650 for the c7 z06. The vipers are lighter by several hundred pounds. And then there is all that stuff about downforce /aero and all the possible variables that happen in any 1/4 mile run or any race between two cars. Also notice Viper has 3.55 final gear and z06 has 3.42 final gear. and two cars can have same power numbers but very different power curves and area under the curves and this can make for traction differences, etc.

The outcome does not always go to the faster car ,fact often the slower car wins the race.
You can't just go comparing mph for cars without knowing all the facts. Its not black and white more like shades of grey.
I weigh 250 you weigh 150 . I am a tenth slower and 1mph slower than you. Same car. You have 1/4 tank I have full tank I am slower than you by maybe a tenth and 1mph. I have a passenger in my car you don't I am now maybe 2 tenths slower and two mph.
You ran your car on a 50 degree day and I ran at 80 degree day. I might be several tenths and several mph slower. You ran your car in Denver I ran in florida at sea level. You might be 1 second or more slower in the 1/4 and down huge on the mph as well.
Add in manual transmissions and way more things to look at. Much more differences possible from driver error. Slow shift, mis shift ,hit the limiter to name a few. I might have traction control on and you might have turned yours off. I might use launch control and you are not using it. Clutches wear out and my older car might be down on power big time .

So many variables. And don't take much for most of them to make a difference of couple tenths or couple mph sometimes lot more. Even with the same car.

Dick measuring.... guys love to do it. But in the end all that really matters is that the cars are fun and we like them. The c7 z06 is a pretty quick car. Has gone high 10s or low 11s already at 127 or so. In auto form.
It will go faster as time goes by.

It might have some problems this is first year of the car. Tuning is maybe too conservative. Maybe the car does need some upgrades in cooling for track use . Even if it does get hot from repeated runs how many people have bought this for drag racing. ? For track use it better be able to stay reasonably cool and be consistent . And there are ways to improve things if this is the case.

Things like this:
They make this for my SL55 and you can buy a bigger intercooler pump as well for cheap . Simple install. Or run meth injection which works really well in forced induction applications. Maybe Gm will upsize the blower or do some of this stuff as the car runs thru its lifecycle. Or for guys that want to drag race or track race they might want to mod the car even if it voids warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLM-Heat-Exc...-/261627940601

Keep in mind the price of the z06 and compare it to the other high end stuff from Italy, Gemany, etc. Up till the recent price reduction on the Viper it was a lot cheaper than the viper and it is a lot cheaper than the zr1 was new .
Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
GM never stated this. I never saw anybody seriously make such a claim on this forum, despite claims to the contrary by you and a few others. It's funny how this is continually repeated.

The Z06 does outperform the ZR1 in a number of metrics. These are metrics that will be very valuable on-track. This was GM's goal. Whether or not the tune will severely impact sustained performance on-track is yet to be determined. I think it's somewhat likely that if it's pulling ~20 rwhp at a point, it will reflect in lap times. But how much? If I lose a second between the first lap of my session and the last, I don't think I am going to notice it in a DE situation while managing traffic, etc.. If it starts slowing down...2...3...4 seconds a lap...it will very apparent. Data will reveal it. I will likely run the car at Daytona first. It will be interesting to see vmax before braking into T1 and T8 as the sessions continue.
S.
Agree, this was never printed anywhere. The only thing that GM said was that it was faster at Milford.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:47 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

IMO it has nothing to do with the BGAP. It is the fact that the Edelbrock "kit" was not designed to meet the OEM's very stringent and demanding durability testing. OEM standards are typically far higher than an aftermarket manufacturer. Edelbrock might warranty the compressor assembly for 100k miles, but they aren't going to warranty your engine.
S.
That is a valid point. But I wonder, is not the heart of the Edelbrock system, the same TVS 2300 machinery that was installed as oem on the ZR1? If so, it would seem plausible that the engineering modifications designed by Edelbrock as referenced in the Feb Vette magazine article could have been potentially "hardened" by GM further to meet oem standards..

It's been a while since I took my collegiate physics courses, but it would seem to me that spinning a larger capacity S/C at lower speeds would generate less heat energy. I do know that the ZR1's I encountered on the track seemed to hold up pretty well notwithstanding some issues that some of them had with that car's cooling brick.

I also know that even my elevated h/p N/A '10 Z06 needed attention to the additional heat produced as an unwanted energy byproduct of 120 more h/p. The vented Halltech hood, a Dewitts radiator and twin Spal fans were needed to adequately dispel it.

Having had 9 Vettes, the last four of them being "Z" cars, I am not a:

1. "hater"
2. "fanboi" (have had other makes of toys)
3. "car racist" (see #2)
4. "troll" (too tall at 6'2")

I will admit to being more of a fan of N/A for other than 1/4 mile track events - I also like Pisco Sours - when properly made...
Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Snorman,

I know you love to argue. I was merely providing my own perception of what the media has been dishing out. It seems the majority of disappointed people here, also share that same overall feeling. The car was over-hyped. Had it not been, then nobody would have been disappointed by a silly racing video. Google and you'll find dozens of articles lathering up the praise, comparing the Z06 against "million dollar" cars in performance. Here is an example, why would I read this and think the ZR1 is faster?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...errari-mclaren

JerriVette, please take your meds. I don't have anything against you, but you seem to have a crush on me. It is kind of creepy, how some of you guys follow me around and want my constant attention. I've been here longer than you have, and you'll not find my history here as that of trolling. I simply like BOTH cars compared. Why is this hard to understand?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:09 PM
rrm
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
Here is something to chew on. Forgetting about all the seemingly failures of the new Z my question is why would anyone drop 100k on this mass produced,
dime a dozen resale tanking car when you can get a Viper T/A for around the same money that only 150 of were built in 2014 and from what I hear only 99
will be built in 2015. A car that is N/A, no heat soak, proven drivetrain, amazing hand built and painted fit/finish, exclusivity, world class components and
the performance to back it all up. Maybe not the best out there but certainly the best car on the market by far for its price point and quality. Put a loaded
up Z next to a T/A and unless you are purely GM bias how could anyone pick the Z, unless of course you’ve drank too much Tadge-Aid.
IF the two were priced the same and the Viper had the interior quality of the Z, which it doesn't, then perhaps I would consider the exclusivity point of purchasing a new Viper. However if you price the two cars out the Viper is going to cost over 120k. I read about all the great deals to be had on the TA but I don't see them in reality. Look at the web-site of the dealer in Tomball, Texas. When I am able to buy the Z it will cost about 93k so about 30% less than a comparably equipped TA...to me that's a big difference...rrm
Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rrm
IF the two were priced the same and the Viper had the interior quality of the Z, which it doesn't, then perhaps I would consider the exclusivity point of purchasing a new Viper. However if you price the two cars out the Viper is going to cost over 120k. I read about all the great deals to be had on the TA but I don't see them in reality. Look at the web-site of the dealer in Tomball, Texas. When I am able to buy the Z it will cost about 93k so about 30% less than a comparably equipped TA...to me that's a big difference...rrm
If you've actually sat inside the 2013+ Vipers, you wouldn't say the interior was worse quality. The C7 has more plastic on the interior than the new Viper, but the C7 is a big improvement over the C6. The 2013+ Viper is a HUGE improvement over the previous gen, not even a close comparison. The 2013+ even has the Sabelt seats from the Ferrari 458.

Also, the TA MSRP is $105K. You can also find fully loaded GTS trim cars below $100K, originally $130 MSRP. I paid $101K for my TA. The prices are very close now.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:18 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Anyone mentioning "they felt good with the camaro when it was wet! at the ring!"

That's because, let's be honest, people don't care about the Camaro as anything other than a Cool Ride.
They don't care one way or another if it's a solid track weapon. The Z/28 was just a Camaro with an LS7 underhood in most people's eyes. And that's the people who are even aware of the difference between SS and Z/28.

Most Track Capable Camaro ever = side bonus to the Cool Factor.
That it embarasses GTRs, Porsches and a few Ferarris...one of which has over 200 more horses regularly is just a side bonus.

It's not Front and Center in the Breed's heritage to utterly destroy Exotics like the C7 and C7ZO6 are.

The Stingray, I don't think anyone short of a complete moron can say by any stretch is a failure of a car.

The only question about the ZO6 C7 Stingray, is it's Roots Supercharger. Infact that's my only reservation about the car. Roots is the worst kind of boost you can put to an engine. Period. I'd much rather see twin turbos, or a centri. Sure as hell don't want to see a sub 2 liter SC on a V8.

I think it's road coarse performance is going to destroy a great deal of cars.
People put too much emphasis on roll racing (which isn't racing, sorry. My grand mother can Roll Race, and she's got the reactions of a sloth).
Because that's the only thing their limited talent is capable of.
You can put a 1976 Stingray into most people on this forums hands with it's whopping 160 horsepower engine with a 3 speed auto, and it's sub 260 sized tires and they wouldn't be able to get the most of it in the twisties.
They also don't understand just how much downforce really effects speed. The Gen 4 vipers, Base Models were almost a full 30 mph faster on top end than the ACR was with it's full bodywork. I doubt anyone here would call the ACR a failure as far as track performance went. It's faster around the Ring than the ZR1 by a comfortable margin....with an almost 30 mph less top speed, and horrendous 120+mph acceleration. Infact the ACR couldn't even hit a full 180...it pegged out at 177-178.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Turbo_6
Intermediate

http://www.6speedonline.com/articles...zo6-engineers/
Old 12-24-2014, 01:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Flex182
agree with everything but the design, mostly which is just personal taste there. Still love the C6Z design. Glad someone said what alot of us are thinking.

This is what has most people thinking

Audi R8 GT 5.2L V10 - [2011]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Ferrari 458 Spider 4.5 V8 - [2011]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Ferrari 550 Maranello - [1997]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti F1 - [2004]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale - [2011]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Mercedes CLK DTM AMG 5.4 V8 - [2004]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Mercedes SL Class 65 AMG V12 Black Series R230 - [2008]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Mercedes SLS AMG GT 6.2 V8 - [2012]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster GT - [2012]Top Speed - 199 mph (320 kph)
Audi R8 Plus 5.2 V10 - [2012]Top Speed - 198 mph (318 kph)
Bentley Continental GT 6.0 2d W12 - [2003]Top Speed - 198 mph (318 kph)
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - [2006]Top Speed - 198 mph (318 kph)
Ferrari 430 Scuderia - [2007]Top Speed - 198 mph (318 kph)
Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Spyder - [2011]Top Speed - 198 mph (318 kph)
Porsche 911 GT2 996 - [2004]Top Speed - 198 mph (318 kph)
Porsche 911 Turbo S 991 - [2013]Top Speed - 198 mph (318 kph)
Audi R8 Plus S-Tronic 5.2 V10 - [2012]Top Speed - 197 mph (317 kph)
Audi R8 Spyder GT 5.2L V10 - [2011]Top Speed - 197 mph (317 kph)
Mercedes SLS 6.2 V8 AMG Coupe DCT-7 - [2009]Top Speed - 197 mph (317 kph)
Nissan Skyline GTR R35 - [2012]Top Speed - 197 mph (317 kph)
Porsche 959 Turbo - [1987]Top Speed - 197 mph (317 kph)
Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro V10 - [2009]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Ferrari 512 M - [1994]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Ferrari California T 3.9 V8 Turbo - [2014]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Ferrari F430 4.3 V8 - [2004]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Lamborghini Gallardo 5.0 V10 - [2003]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Lamborghini Gallardo 5.0 V10 Superleggera - [2007]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Mercedes SLS AMG Black Series 6.2 V8 - [2012]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Nissan R390 3.5L V8 - [1997]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Porsche 911 GT2 996 - [2000]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Porsche 911 GT3 3.8 991 - [2013]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Porsche 911 Turbo 991 - [2013]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Porsche 911 Turbo S 997 - [2010]Top Speed - 196 mph (315 kph)
Aston-Martin Vanquish 5.9 V12 - [2000]Top Speed - 195 mph (313 kph)
BMW Alpina B5 V8 Switchtronic E60 - [2006]Top Speed - 195 mph (313 kph)
Bentley Continental GTC 6.0 W12 Cabrio - [2005]Top Speed - 195 mph (313 kph)
Dodge Viper SRT-10 8.3 V10 - [2003]Top Speed - 195 mph (313 kph)
Ferrari 512 TR - [1992]Top Speed - 195 mph (313 kph)
Lamborghini Gallardo 5.0 V10 Spyder - [2005]Top Speed - 195 mph (313 kph)
TVR Cerbera 4.5 - [1997]Top Speed - 195 mph (313 kph)
TVR Tuscan S 4.0 - [2001]Top Speed - 195 mph (313 kph)
Audi R8 Spyder 5.2L V10 - [2009]Top Speed - 194 mph (312 kph)
Bentley Continental Flying Spur 6.0 W12 - [2005]Top Speed - 194 mph (312 kph)
Porsche 911 Turbo 997 - [2009]Top Speed - 194 mph (312 kph)
Audi R8 5.2 V10 Spyder - [2012]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
BMW 3 Series M3 E92 GTS - [2010]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Ferrari California 30 F1 4.3l V8 - [2012]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Ferrari California 4.3 V8 - [2008]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Ferrari F430 4.3 V8 Spider - [2005]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Nissan Skyline GT-R Spec V - [2009]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Porsche 911 GT3 4.0 997 - [2011]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS 997 - [2006]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Porsche 911 Turbo 997 - [2006]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Wiesmann GT MF5 - [2009]Top Speed - 193 mph (310 kph)
Bentley Continental V8 S - [2013]Top Speed - 192 mph (308 kph)
Nissan Skyline R35 GTR - [2007]Top Speed - 192 mph (308 kph)
Aston-Martin DBS V12 2d - [2007]Top Speed - 191 mph (307 kph)
Aston-Martin Vantage V8 550 - [1993]Top Speed - 191 mph (307 kph)
Maserati Quattroporte 3.8 V8 - [2012]Top Speed - 191 mph (307 kph)
Porsche 911 Turbo S 996 - [2004]Top Speed - 191 mph (307 kph)
Aston-Martin Rapide S 5.9 V12 - [2013]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Aston-Martin Vantage V12 Roadster - [2012]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Aston-Martin Vantage V12 Zagato - [2012]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Audi A6 RS6 Avant 4.0 V8 Twin Turbo - [2012]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Chevrolet Corvette 6.2 V8 2d - [2007]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Dodge Viper GTS - [1996]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Dodge Viper SRT-10 8.3 V10 - [2005]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Ford GT 5.4 V8 - [2003]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Lamborghini Reventon Roadster 6.5L V12 - [2009]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Porsche 911 3.8 Speedster - [2010]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Porsche 911 GT3 996 - [2003]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS 996 - [2003]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Porsche 911 Turbo 996 - [2000]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Porsche Panamera 4.8 V8 Turbo S - [2011]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)
Porsche Panamera Turbo 4.8 V8 - [2013]Top Speed - 190 mph (305 kph)

Between 190mph and 180mph
Ferrari 288 GTO - [1984]Top Speed - 189 mph (304 kph)
Porsche 911 Carrera S 991 - [2011]Top Speed - 189 mph (304 kph)
Aston-Martin Rapide 6.0 V12 - [2009]Top Speed - 188 mph (302 kph)
Bentley Continental GT V8 - [2012]Top Speed - 188 mph (302 kph)
Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet 997 - [2008]Top Speed - 188 mph (302 kph)
Porsche 911 Carrera S PDK 991 - [2011]Top Speed - 188 mph (302 kph)
Porsche Panamera 4.8 V8 Turbo PDK - [2009]Top Speed - 188 mph (302 kph)
Aston-Martin Vantage V8 SP10 - [2013]Top Speed - 187 mph (300 kph)
Audi R8 4.2 FSI Quattro V8 - [2006]Top Speed - 187 mph (300 kph)
Ferrari 465 M GT - [1998]Top Speed - 187 mph (300 kph)
Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet 991 - [2011]Top Speed - 187 mph (300 kph)
Aston-Martin DB9 V12 - [2003]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Audi R8 4.2 V8 S-Tronic FSI Quattro - [2012]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Audi R8 6.0 Quattro V12 TDI - [2009]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Audi R8 Spyder 4.2 V8 FSI Quattro S-Tronic - [2012]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
BMW Alpina B7 V8 Tiptronic E65 - [2006]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale - [2003]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Ferrari 456 GT 5.5 V12 - [1992]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Ferrari 456 M GT 5.5 GT - [1998]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Jaguar F Type 5.0L V8 S Cabriolet - [2012]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Jaguar XF R-S 5.0 V8 - [2012]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Jaguar XK R-S 5.0 V8 - [2011]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Jaguar XK R-S GT 5.0 V8 - [2013]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Mercedes C Class 63 AMG Coupe Black Series - [2011]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Mercedes CLK 63 AMG Black Series - [2007]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Mercedes CLK DTM Cabriolet - [2006]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Mercedes SL Class 63 AMG Performance Package - [2012]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Porsche 911 50 Years 911 Edition - [2013]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Porsche 911 Carrera 4S 991 - [2012]Top Speed - 186 mph (299 kph)
Nice comprehensive list but what about the cars that will do OVER 200 MPH, like the "Obsolete" C6 ZR1 at 205 MPH and will still haul *** around the tracks like the infamous Ring. And at the bottom of the list, how about the 6.0L 2005 Corvette at 186 MPH.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:55 PM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

I think this is quote that people might be referring to from Tadge:

“The question isn’t how close we can get to the ZR1,” he says. “It’s how far we can surpass it.”

That could be what is being referred to, among other quotes.

Happy Holidays

JG

S.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:03 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I and many people KNEW that they meant track. If anyone in their right mind thought the Z06 was going to beat ZR1 in a straight line, they were really far from reality.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:31 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dio55
Because
1. The Z represents the complete overshadowing of all other American sports cars as a track car, WHICH IS WHAT IT WAS BUILT FOR..And that angered the last gen owners

2. Corvette has left the realms of the "dumb" muscle car with straight line nonsense and gone for refined handling rather than "roll on racing" and that gave the butt hurts some handle for a "gotcha moment"

3. The Corvette has now met and surpassed it's European rivals and has NO weak points like poor interior and that angered the "euro is always better butt hurts"

4. Some have recently paid 100-130k for Vipers and ZR1's and have buyers remorse so are rooting for the the Z to FAIL

5. EVERY single auto mag review even by traditional haters like the European ones have been heaping praises and awards on the Z and that has the butthurts on suicide watch

6. People always hate WINNERS and Chevy can't build them fast enough with no end in sight

Whenever you hear the "I wanted to like it " , It's overhyped " ," look at my viper" , "It's no (insert foreign car name here", "The sky is falling" yadda yadda yadda ..you know they fall in one or more of the above categories

Feel free to add to the list
I'm coming from a Z06 and a ZR1 and I'm in no way satisfied with a car that performs the same or worse than than my ZR1. No serious sports car maker does this. All 911 TTs outperform the outgoing model and the same for every ferrari and every lamborghini.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I and many people KNEW that they meant track. If anyone in their right mind thought the Z06 was going to beat ZR1 in a straight line, they were really far from reality.
I know one car it would beat...Hint, you have a picture of it on your profile.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

If you've actually sat inside the 2013+ Vipers, you wouldn't say the interior was worse quality. The C7 has more plastic on the interior than the new Viper, but the C7 is a big improvement over the C6. The 2013+ Viper is a HUGE improvement over the previous gen, not even a close comparison. The 2013+ even has the Sabelt seats from the Ferrari 458.

Also, the TA MSRP is $105K. You can also find fully loaded GTS trim cars below $100K, originally $130 MSRP. I paid $101K for my TA. The prices are very close now.
Agreed, the GTS interior is well above the Vette, I am not sure about the TA, never sat in one.

Get notified of new replies

To POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???

Old 12-24-2014, 03:17 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
Agreed, the GTS interior is well above the Vette, I am not sure about the TA, never sat in one.
Does viper have :

- PDR
- HUD
- Heated seats
- Taking the top off
Old 12-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Does viper have :

- PDR
- HUD
- Heated seats
- Taking the top off
Those are great options, but I am not sure they make the interior quality better. Read the original post, I was just stating the GTS has a higher quality interior, especially the seats.

That said taking off the top on the Z06 is a huge draw IMO.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:21 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

That's hilarious!!!

Some editor posts that and you take that as gospel that GM Engineering said the Z06 was going to wax the ZR1 in every way?

Zack Klapman is a Senior Editor for The Smoking Tire, and produces “TUNED” and “BIG MUSCLE” on the /DRIVE Network.

Quick Reply: POLL: Why is the Z06 so polarizing???