C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZR1 vs Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Davem1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
Its funny you bring that up. If there is one company that underrates their performance cars, its BMW. M5 is rated 575hp at crank, but it dynoes 589hp in rear wheels. Thats over 650hp crank. How about that?

A friend of mine trapped 125.7 mph in his stock M6 CP. 1500 miles on odometer. Thats literally 1 mph short of Z06. Difference is M6 is rated 575hp and weighs 4200 lbs pounds and Z06 is rated 650hp and weighs 3500 lbs pounds. Thats the difference between american and german engineering. One is all about "show" and "numbers", the other one is exactly like BMW says, "wolf in sheep clothing"

Jesus, you guys have a 650hp car that cannot even come close to 130 mph and weighs only 3500 lbs. Thats just terrible.

Its the typical american mentality. Always brute force. You guys **** us off? We'll drop a nuke on your head or invade your country! We love big and powerful stuff with lots of cylinders and noise. Its like how the government threw money at the banks and car companies 8 years ago to fix the problem. Now gm throws numbers and more power instead of properly innovating. When they said this thing only comes with a torque converter, I had a good hunch on what was about to come out and it seems like I was right.
"You guys"?
So you aren't an American?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Davem1
"You guys"?
So you aren't an American?
Its the typical american mentality. Always brute force. You guys **** us off? We'll drop a nuke on your head or invade your country

How could you miss that?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:20 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

The Mods need to ban that DerStig clown, enough is enough!
Old 12-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Davem1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
Its the typical american mentality. Always brute force. You guys **** us off? We'll drop a nuke on your head or invade your country

How could you miss that?
Your right, sorry.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OHV4LIFE
Have you actually driven a C7Z and made the determination that the seat of the pants acceleration isn't up to par with a ZR1?

Have You?...just read what two honest people that have owned and driven both and gave their thoughts on both.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Have you driven a C7 Z06? If not you are just a worthless jealous troll who simply can't afford to buy one. Period.
I'm not sure who is the bigger troll, DerStig, or Lavender.

What a helpful post. Thanks for your incredible insight.

Last edited by Skullbussa; 12-21-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:44 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you driven a C7 Z06? If not you are just a worthless jealous troll who simply can't afford to buy one. Period.

Boy how you fanboys get personal when someone talks the truth about what they experienced between cars they actually owned and drove then posted their honest opinion...
Old 12-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Boy how you fanboys get personal when someone talks the truth about what they experienced between cars they actually owned and drove then posted their honest opinion...
In that case this guy has spent his entire time here hating on the C7Z just like he did when the C7 launched. You need to pay attention better these days dude. Peace off.

Last edited by Lavender; 12-21-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bit concerned of what I have been reading, I was planning on buying a new Z06.

Hmmm.......I already have a great handling, feather weight sports car. A supercharger on my 427 would save me a ton of money over a new Z06 and my performance advantage would most likely make a C7/Z06 driver go home in tears.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
A bit concerned of what I have been reading, I was planning on buying a new Z06.

Hmmm.......I already have a great handling, feather weight sports car. A supercharger on my 427 would save me a ton of money over a new Z06 and my performance advantage would most likely make a C7/Z06 driver go home in tears.
What kind of times are the C6 Z06's with an E-force 657 HP(soft tune) blower getting.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:07 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c6z07
The new z06 is the biggest flop/disappointment in recent memory
How do you make that statement when you have never driven the car, or know anything about the car...lol
Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Ahhhh, DerStig shows his true colors....... anti American huh? So the Corvette and Viper will butt rape your bmw's in the twisties. Isn't that what the bmw guys used to say when they had pissant motors?

BMW is irrelevant except highway cruising. They haven't made a relevant car since the V8 M3. The rest is junk, as you so aptly suggested yourself.
Wait my Girl friend Loves BMW!
Then left handed males too!
Old 12-21-2014, 07:44 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How come the timing issue does not apply to other high end forced induction cars? Porsche turbo? BMW M3, M5, M6? Mercedes AMG? Have you ever seen a board full of people complaining about obvious timing issues and slowdown after 4 pulls?

Here is a stock M6 without competition package (they are rated 560 hp crank) doing 545 whp on a dyno. There are lots of other ones online for the M5s too, some that go as high as 570 whp for a stock car : http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943237

BMW rates the M5 0-60 4.2s. In real life, Car and Driver got 3.7s and so did a lot of other magazines. These cars are clearly underrated. I'd much rather the manufacturer underrate their cars than deal with what GM is doing, which is clearly wrong. Again, typical mismanagement in Detroit. What do you expect from a company which has the most number of recalls in the history? I wouldn't be surprised if they recall their 100k car too.

Coming from a 575 hp 4400 lbs M5, when I heard 650 hp and 3500, I was amazed. My jaw dropped. Something inside me kept saying "it's too good to be true". But I said, no, maybe it will be good for the competition. I guess my car and the Z are in completely opposite end of the spectrums. One is clearly underrated and overperforms, the other is heavily overrated and underperforms. I'd expect the 650hp Z which GM claims beats ZR1 to easily trap 129-130mph. Instead we are seeing people losing races to the old Z06 let alone the ZR1.

Last edited by DerStig; 12-21-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:27 PM
2003Evo
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Most numbers of recalls are held by ford mister Hitler
Old 12-21-2014, 08:30 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I am at a loss of words. This car has been a media flop and I think will see significant price drops.
Please quit making a fool of yourself, and go play with mommy!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:33 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

How come the timing issue does not apply to other high end forced induction cars? Porsche turbo? BMW M3, M5, M6? Mercedes AMG? Have you ever seen a board full of people complaining about obvious timing issues and slowdown after 4 pulls?

Here is a stock M6 without competition package (they are rated 560 hp crank) doing 545 whp on a dyno. There are lots of other ones online for the M5s too, some that go as high as 570 whp for a stock car : http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943237

BMW rates the M5 0-60 4.2s. In real life, Car and Driver got 3.7s and so did a lot of other magazines. These cars are clearly underrated. I'd much rather the manufacturer underrate their cars than deal with what GM is doing, which is clearly wrong. Again, typical mismanagement in Detroit. What do you expect from a company which has the most number of recalls in the history? I wouldn't be surprised if they recall their 100k car too.

Coming from a 575 hp 4400 lbs M5, when I heard 650 hp and 3500, I was amazed. My jaw dropped. Something inside me kept saying "it's too good to be true". But I said, no, maybe it will be good for the competition. I guess my car and the Z are in completely opposite end of the spectrums. One is clearly underrated and overperforms, the other is heavily overrated and underperforms. I'd expect the 650hp Z which GM claims beats ZR1 to easily trap 129-130mph. Instead we are seeing people losing races to the old Z06 let alone the ZR1.
The new turbo BMW motors are the worst made in the history of BMW! They are dropping like flies. 2 local BMW mechanics said they are horrible and won't last. Go hang out at the BMW where someone cares!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:35 PM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Please quit making a fool of yourself, and go play with mommy!
How am I making a fool of myself?

I am a potential customer. I have money, I want a 2nd car right next to my super sedan and I am shopping between a GT3 or a Z06. I am exactly the type of customer that I thought GM was trying to target with the new C7/Z06 re-modeling? Just because I am nitpicking means I am a fool? Because I am not okay with the "Chevrolet" standards and my bar is a little higher than yours? Well guess what, if they want European car owners to seriously consider this car, they have just shot themselves in the foot.

I guarantee you a tune or a price drop will come from the factory in the next 24-36 months.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs Z06

Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 PM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by meadowz06
The new turbo BMW motors are the worst made in the history of BMW! They are dropping like flies. 2 local BMW mechanics said they are horrible and won't last. Go hang out at the BMW where someone cares!
How many BMW mechanics are seeing how many BMW M cars in Alabama for you to make that statement in such generalization?

The new BMW M turbo motors are extremely durable. My M5 can take a beating lap after lap (if you have carbon ceramic brakes) in nurburgring without a hitch, no heat soak, no timing getting pulled, none of that garbage. It will lap consistently unless the driver screws it up.

In fact, what's interesting is, there hasn't been that many engine/turbo related issues with the new M motors. There has been failures, but they were regarding to differential, transmission, electronics, etc, but not the turbo. And the catch is, BMW has NEVER advertised the M3 or an M5 as a track capable car the way GM has!. That's the biggest difference between these cars! BMW is always UNDERSTATED and UNDERRATED whereas GM is IN YOUR FACE/SHOW OFF with we will do this and we will do that to get everyone riled up and never deliver! How hard is it to see this?

There is also a big difference between the regular turbo engines BMW makes and the M turbo engines.

You are just talking none sense. What I am saying here is factual statement, you are just spreading rumors. We have a guy, a Z06 owner, who owned a ZR1, coming here and saying all of this. What more do you want? We have a guy losing 7 times to the viper. We have someone else losing to the old C6Z06. We also have numerous people posting the timing issue and stating that they clearly feel the car not being as fast after moderate use. I am merely stating these facts here and share my disappointment.

Why is it so personal for you Corvette crowd? Why can't you take constructive feedback?
Old 12-21-2014, 08:42 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Wouldn't catch me dead in a BMW that wasn't free.

Boxes aren't appealing as cars.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 PM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Wouldn't catch me dead in a BMW that wasn't free.

Boxes aren't appealing as cars.
Forget about what they look like for a second. Try and understand what I am trying to say. They are totally different looking cars serving entirely different purposes. I am talking about managing expectations and the overall perception towards the brand names.

Quick Reply: ZR1 vs Z06