C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New z06 first quarter mile pass a joke

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New z06 first quarter mile pass a joke

I don't get it guys. I seen the first quarter mike pass and the mph is like 120 wich is slow as ****. Hell I seen the new camaro zL1 hit 126mph. The time is ok but the old c6z06 runs 11.7 with around 125 mph. Plus sounds like this was a auto too. This car has been getting its *** handed to it by the new viper I also see as well stock to stock. I won't be buying one. Plus it's priced the same as the new viper. Vipers hold their value good and look exotic too.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Here we go....

Driver missed a gear in that run.

Auto's aren't out just yet. All regular production Z06's are M7's

Glad you think a Viper holds their value well. Ask the owners how much their $130k Viper is worth today.

Here, I'll hep you out:

06/24/14 DETROIT $75,000 34 Avg BLACK 10G 6 No
08/21/14 SO CAL Regular $85,500 5,160 Avg DK GRAY 10G 6 No
10/13/14 ORLANDO $80,000 14 Avg BLACK 10G 6 No
11/18/14 NEWENGLD $76,000 7,203 Avg BLACK 10G 6 No
Old 12-18-2014, 09:09 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Really folks, we don't need yet another thread on this 1/4-mile run. It has been posted several times - the driver missed third; went from 2nd to 5th gear. That was not a valid run.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:10 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Cruise
I don't get it guys. I seen the first quarter mike pass and the mph is like 120 wich is slow as ****. Hell I seen the new camaro zL1 hit 126mph. The time is ok but the old c6z06 runs 11.7 with around 125 mph. Plus sounds like this was a auto too. This car has been getting its *** handed to it by the new viper I also see as well stock to stock. I won't be buying one. Plus it's priced the same as the new viper. Vipers hold their value good and look exotic too.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ast-night.html

If you take the time (most people are not) to read through this, you will see the owner of the car shares about this night.

I find it interesting that the only pass that was posted on video was when he missed a shift. If you read further, you will note that even on his 2 clean passes, he lifted on the shifts and he noted that TC was coming on.

We can all draw our own conclusions on what we think about the car, but let's all at least use accurate data points. I hardly believe an 11.77/120, missed shift, pass on a brand new car on its virgin trip to the strip is an accurate data point.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Auto? I don't think this video was discussed, five days ago....
Old 12-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Troll City!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I
*. Hell I seen the new camaro zL1 hit 126mph. o.
zl1's can do about 118 stock obviously if you saw one do 126 it was not stock..
Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ast-night.html

If you take the time (most people are not) to read through this, you will see the owner of the car shares about this night.

I find it interesting that the only pass that was posted on video was when he missed a shift. If you read further, you will note that even on his 2 clean passes, he lifted on the shifts and he noted that TC was coming on.

We can all draw our own conclusions on what we think about the car, but let's all at least use accurate data points. I hardly believe an 11.77/120, missed shift, pass on a brand new car on its virgin trip to the strip is an accurate data point.
Well said. I, for one, am not a racer...strip or road course. So, if someone made a buying decision based on my crappy times, they would be making a huge mistake. I would be willing to bet that far less than 1% of forum members could post a respectable time anywhere. Thus, threads like this are nothing more than bench fodder for me and all but a handful of others here.

Making a buying decision based on straight line runs is absurd. It's even more ridiculous if it isn't done in a controlled environment with expert racers.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Really folks, we don't need yet another thread on this 1/4-mile run. It has been posted several times - the driver missed third; went from 2nd to 5th gear. That was not a valid run.
I had no idea it's been posted lots I just seen the video today. Well if he missed a gear that would explain lots. Guess we will have see more vids to really get the best idea the performance this car actually can do.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

Its getting old, guys. Get a life.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 PM
KKreme15
Instructor

Originally Posted by F&Yb0dluvr
zl1's can do about 118 stock obviously if you saw one do 126 it was not stock..
i trapped 120 with just an intake
Old 12-18-2014, 09:54 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I had no idea it's been posted lots I just seen the video today. Well if he missed a gear that would explain lots. Guess we will have see more vids to really get the best idea the performance this car actually can do.
I agree.

I also believe we all know what the car _can do_... magazine tests showed 11.2 @ 126-127 for the M7 car. MANY owners on this forum, and not on this forum, will whip that time.

Magazine times are good baseline #s... and at better tracks, on "good air" days, with drivers who get real familiar with their cars, we will see even better times. They aren't out there yet... but as you said, this is a small sample size.

Honestly, I seriously doubt I'd have driven the car any better, or more aggressively, than this owner did... given he had just gotten the car and this was his first trip to the track. I thought he did pretty darn well for the first time out. (11.5 @ 125)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:55 PM
ElFingers
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh sweet baby Jesus! Do some folks on this forum ever actually race their cars? You do know that the 1/4 mile times have a number of factors when not in a controlled environment, right? Reaction time alone for a novice can suck hard and will lead to crappy 1/4 mile times; never mind missing shifts! Remember, when auto manufacturers quote time it's form a standing start, but not against a tree. Time begins to run the second the car is in motion. I've seen absolute pathetic drivers at the track in Vipers get 14+ second quarter mile times because the concept of a power shift eludes them. Gotta bang them gears like you mean it papi or your time will stink. 11.7 for missing a gear is actually still a good time. I remember just a few years ago running in the 11 second range was unheard of. Lighten up folks, it's a great time to be alive!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Adding an intake isn't stock, the guy missed a gear. Corvette > Camaro and next time try reading! The guy said he missed 4th gear meaning the car was a stick.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

ElFingers, just fyi... on a drag strip, your time does -not- start against the tree. The race against an opponent does, but the recorded ET does not. It's when the front tire breaks the beams. In fact, at the strip, you often get a 12-16" rollout (moving head start) before the time starts counting.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Okay...You wont buy one. Lets tell Chevy to shut down its plant and ensure everyone return their cars for a refund! Really appreciate the info! Cancelling my order and will order viper because its exotic.

Next...
Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,776 Likes on 3,185 Posts

Originally Posted by ElFingers
Oh sweet baby Jesus! Do some folks on this forum ever actually race their cars? You do know that the 1/4 mile times have a number of factors when not in a controlled environment, right? Reaction time alone for a novice can suck hard and will lead to crappy 1/4 mile times; never mind missing shifts! Remember, when auto manufacturers quote time it's form a standing start, but not against a tree. Time begins to run the second the car is in motion. I've seen absolute pathetic drivers at the track in Vipers get 14+ second quarter mile times because the concept of a power shift eludes them. Gotta bang them gears like you mean it papi or your time will stink. 11.7 for missing a gear is actually still a good time. I remember just a few years ago running in the 11 second range was unheard of. Lighten up folks, it's a great time to be alive!
this is why the internet gets a bad name lol

Get notified of new replies

To New z06 first quarter mile pass a joke

Old 12-18-2014, 10:40 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess you can answer that question too, have you ever raced your car? I'm guessing not.

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST
ElFingers, just fyi... on a drag strip, your time does -not- start against the tree. The race against an opponent does, but the recorded ET does not. It's when the front tire breaks the beams. In fact, at the strip, you often get a 12-16" rollout (moving head start) before the time starts counting.

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
this is why the internet gets a bad name lol
Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Everything on the world wide web is true & factual. Wiki ***** said so...
Old 12-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Ltespd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. Have you raced at a track? Reaction time is separate from your ET. (I.E)You can have a 30 sec. reaction time and run a 10 sec. quarter.

Quick Reply: New z06 first quarter mile pass a joke