C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

GM apologists are a detriment to serious C7Z discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:52 AM
z06vettewannabe
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Funny, this post isn't only about the C7Z06/7,,, it's about all makes and models and brands,,, AND FORUMS.

If you come here simply to say "GM quality sucks!" you're gonna get "oh yea, and your mother does too". Then hopefully your post gets deleted and your membership revoked because you are a troll.
On the other hand, if you come here and say "I heard there was some paint problems on some of the cars", you'll more likely get "yea, I heard that too but it is limited to a few colors and GM is working it out."
If you come here and say "the Z06 sucks because it is SC and real race cars aren't SC" you'll get a much worse reaction than someone that asks "have you had yours on the track yet, and did you have any SC related problems?"

Bottom line is you will get blind loyalty responses when you start with blind hate comments. If you make learned observations or ask thoughtful questions you will generally get more accurate and realistic responses.

It isn't really very hard to tell the difference between reasonable folks and trolls. And yes,,, I think trolls come in both love and hate varieties.
Great post. I think you hit the nail on the head. As I've been reading posts I see a lot of comments about "trolls" so it's important to differentiate between those folks and the ones who are simply trying to get more information. Perception is everything and very simply the "way" somebody writes a post will drive the reaction to it. Having tact and respect goes a long way towards getting the answer you want. My impression is that the Corvette forum is 99% populated by reasonable enthusiasts who are willing to discuss any issues so long as posters don't write in absolutes, just as you said. The 1% are the ones that simply need to be ignored. I want a Z06. I have some "concerns" about the ECU tuning, but it's not an outright show stopper for me, I just want to find out if it's something that GM will "change" (note I didn't say FIX because that implies it was a mistake) or as we learn more and more about it is it truly a non issue?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I'll just point out that you're being somewhat disingenuous here.
The first time out in your Gen V you ran 11.4 at 124 mph at the same track and the DA was 650'. Hell, you ran two other passes at 120 and 122 mph (you didn't state the ET, I'm guessing 11.7-11.8). Where were all the towns people with their torches and ropes then?

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...rag-strip.html

So the first time out in his new C7 Z06 a guy runs 11.5 at 125 mph with the TC/stability control intervening. That seems pretty comparable to me. Of course it's not comparable to your 10.97 "stock" pass on DR's after 27 passes, I wouldn't expect it to be. Don't you think it would be reasonable to allow owners time to acclimate to the car, get some seat time and let the cars break in a bit?
S.
You are well aware at how the Viper pulls timing (and power) at higher IAT temps. +650 ft DA is a good 30 degrees ambient (hotter) than negative DA. That car with no changes picked up quite a bit of mph, just from the outside temperature. The C7Z ran in negative DA, about the same time of year that I ran my 10 second pass. You think the C7Z will run consistent with the 124.x silver car, once it hits +650 DA outside? With all the heat-soak complaints?

Here is how my car ran in early December 2013, at the exact same track, with similar weather as that silver C7Z.

So, if you wish to compare +650 DA times vs -DA times, that would just be silly. Both cars will run slower when it is hot outside.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:56 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I'll just point out that you're being somewhat disingenuous here.
The first time out in your Gen V you ran 11.4 at 124 mph at the same track and the DA was 650'. Hell, you ran two other passes at 120 and 122 mph (you didn't state the ET, I'm guessing 11.7-11.8). Where were all the towns people with their torches and ropes then?

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/vipe...rag-strip.html

So the first time out in his new C7 Z06 a guy runs 11.5 at 125 mph with the TC/stability control intervening. That seems pretty comparable to me. Of course it's not comparable to your 10.97 "stock" pass on DR's after 27 passes, I wouldn't expect it to be. Don't you think it would be reasonable to allow owners time to acclimate to the car, get some seat time and let the cars break in a bit?
S.
Wow, good catch/find...Ouch!

Oh boy, here comes the forum drama

Nevetheless, it takes time to get acclimated to a new car...that is totally 100% understandable.

As far as the new Z, TIME WILL TELL!!!

Calling out people for a race may not really prove a thing IF the driving skills of a particular driver is crappy.

In terms of getting honest feedbacks from current owners...well, good luck with that. Think about it, many of these cats just dropped between $85K and $105K on a car...do you really think many of them will shime in and said: Crap man, I just dropped a boat load of money and I hate myself for it because of this or that? No, not likely.

However, many of them will tell you that they made the right choice regardless of what has been said, tested or proven. If anyone tells these guys anything different from what's in their minds even if proof smacks them dead in the eye, they will label you a hater. The same thing happens in other forums/brands

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

"Unhealthy?"
This is a Corvette forum, NOT Sportscars-of-the-World.com or whatever.
What were you expecting?

I am not seeing a lot of "brand loyalism."
What I AM seeing is guys with hidden agendas coming on here trying to push other brands and that is over the line.
It's one thing to say the Z06 is *****, it's another to say Car X is better and anyone with any brains should buy it over the Z.
That's a whole other ballgame....
Right. The op and bimmer boy stig whine about lack of objectivity and then the viper lovers, p car guys, etc. chime in with the stories about how their cars are better than crappy vettes...over and over again it is the same scenario. You are hilarious in your transparency guys. Go post on your other forums. Skullbusa is amazed that someone can actually not hate the new z06...is it 'cause the guy is happy? Is that why you are pissed?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:00 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Default Here is a serious question

With all these "reported" problems who at GM has a clue to FIX things? I WON'T be ordering the C7 in any variation UNTIL GM gets some COMPETENT customer service going. Last call to them they didn't even know what a ZR1 was

As for the performance of the CZ7 I will rely on on people I know who own and actually run them for performance feedback. I have some insider info so not surprising what is occurring.

Wake UP GM and get the clueless interns OFF the phones and forums.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Then why are you here? What is your purpose for continuing to participate in a forum dedicated to a vehicle you have decided is not worthy of your purchase.
1) Why does it bother you that I am here? Does it diminish your enjoyment of your car?

2) Do you have nothing to gain by knowing about problems that are affecting other C7Z owners?

3) Do I not have a right as a potential buyer to openly discuss issues on this forum?

4)Isn't it perhaps a good idea to expose problems here, raising its visibility to GM corporate?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:03 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Myhardtop

Not really a "find", since I always well-document my cars online. The main difference (other than weather) between that first visit, and the 10-second visit, was that I never did burnouts again. Apparently, Vipers like to put you into reduced power mode when you do burnouts or dyno the cars. Likely something to do with the ABS or traction control systems freaking out. I simply do not do burnouts now. The car ran like crap after that first burnout, hence the crappy mph that night.

Who knows, maybe the C7Z does the same thing? Maybe that is why it only went 124 mph in negative DA? These are the things to discuss.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:03 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Please excuse me.. while I go signup for Porscheforums.com and complain all day about how the low HP output on base model cars.. and outrageous pricing of high-end models.. has soured my interested in buying a Porsche. I want to see what it feels like to complain about something I am not buying.
Go do it. And you will see that discussions are a lot more civilized.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Skullbusa is amazed that someone can actually not hate the new z06...is it 'cause the guy is happy? Is that why you are pissed?
The only thing that pisses me off is when people suppress other's opinions.

If someone is happy with their car, that is all that matters. People who are happy with their car are not "apologists" or "loyalists" and not to whom I am directing my message.

We can all agree there are reasonable people on both sides of the fence and there are trolls on both sides. Your insinuation that I am here to devalue the C7Z and have no other objective is insulting.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:30 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

[QUOTE=Skullbussa;1588512841]
There is an unhealthy amount of brand loyalism on this forum.

[/QUOTE

And there is just as much, if not more, trolling by people who jump to conclusions based on tiny sample sizes. As the internet has made the world exponentially smaller, and continues to do so, everyone is an "expert in their own mind, and free to share that with the world."

While, indeed, this is the reality of an open forum like this... the piling on when things aren't perfect is just foolhardy, and chest-thumping (especially given the tiny sample size). That's the kind of junk I'm tired of reading. Perfect example is the thread of the video of the 1/4 mile time... that was a missed-shift pass, but so few even bothered to read the entire thread, EVEN AFTER THE OWNER/DRIVER showed up and posted his 3 timeslips. He even goes on to say TC was kicking in on his full passes, so that certainly kills trap speed, ET, everything. But we have people saying the car is junk. Please.

The trolls and wannabes are in overreaction mode.

I'm not brand-loyal in the least (owned more F*rds than anything), but at least I'm objective. That comes with age/experience, most likely. 20 years ago, if these forums had been around, I might have overreacted, too.

Like you, I'm interested in quantifiable, objective data. Lots of the subjective stuff... well, I have to find people here who share the same priorities in a car that I do, and often have the same type of driving habits. That takes time, but I'm willing to sift through that to find good "subjective info" that I can use as an evaluation tool. But back to objective data... a couple of videos and a few passes at the strip don't turn out exactly like people thought/wanted...and let's just throw it all out. C'mon.

I am a '16 model year buyer b/c I want to see how the A8 does in the hands of experienced drivers/owners. If that doesn't turn out well, I'll buy an M7, get a tune, and a few other minor mods and have a 650+rwhp car that will rip. I'm definitely not letting a few CEL's and some orange-peel bother me.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:37 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Asking someone what there expectations are is like asking how their first sexual experience was! And by the way your street racing is not DATA!!! it's not any more valid than my seat of the pants. JD
Man talk about a whiner. What are you going to say when Nineball spanks the next Z06, it was just two races?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In terms of getting honest feedbacks from current owners...well, good luck with that.

Thanks,
Carlos
Good luck.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

red2012,

See first post of second page...
Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevetheless, it takes time to get acclimated to a new car...that is totally 100% understandable.

As far as the new Z, TIME WILL TELL!!!

Calling out people for a race may not really prove a thing IF the driving skills of a particular driver is crappy.

In terms of getting honest feedbacks from current owners...well, good luck with that. Think about it, many of these cats just dropped between $85K and $105K on a car...do you really think many of them will shime in and said: Crap man, I just dropped a boat load of money and I hate myself for it because of this or that? No, not likely.

However, many of them will tell you that they made the right choice regardless of what has been said, tested or proven. If anyone tells these guys anything different from what's in their minds even if proof smacks them dead in the eye, they will label you a hater. The same thing happens in other forums/brands

Thanks,
Carlos
Bingo! You drop a ton of cash on something, you are gonna be damn defensive about it. Just like I was this morning when the plumber needed to replace broken garbage disposal in my $600k 2 year old house (where I live, this is considered an expensive house). Think I was happy that the builder (highly regarded in this area) chose to put a $90 cheap POS disposal in my house? Found myself first being defensive, then pissed. But that is just normal human behavior to first be defensive about your choices.

So we get crap sayings here like "Haters gonna hate." Really? What's next - "Hands up, don't shoot?"

Brilliant....
Old 12-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by NineBall
You are well aware at how the Viper pulls timing (and power) at higher IAT temps. +650 ft DA is a good 30 degrees ambient (hotter) than negative DA. That car with no changes picked up quite a bit of mph, just from the outside temperature. The C7Z ran in negative DA, about the same time of year that I ran my 10 second pass. You think the C7Z will run consistent with the 124.x silver car, once it hits +650 DA outside? With all the heat-soak complaints?
I see. So the excuses that the Viper "pulls timing (and power)" are completely acceptable, but no such quarter is given to the C7 Z06 (when nobody really yet knows how much "timing (and power)" they will pull). Funny how that works. I'm surprised you didn't blame the Viper's clutch.
FYI...the DA at Royal Purple when he ran was right around sea level, as you very likely know. Do you realize how little benefit there is to going to sea level from ~650' DA? Your 11.43 at 124.34 would correct to an 11.37 at 124.9 at sea level. Bear in mind, I have no idea how accurate DragTime weather data is, nor do I know if you used an actual trackside weather station for your claim of 650' DA.
In any case, here's the DA around midnight on his 11.5 @ 125 pass:

BTW...it wasn't a 30 degrees warmer when you ran 11.4 at 124 mph. It was in the 60's in the evening of October 25, 2013.
Here's the DA at around 10 pm on that night (I'm not sure when you made the 11.4 pass or when the DA was "+650'"):

If my dates and/or times are wrong, feel free to correct me. At ~8 pm, the DA was ~366'.
Here is how my car ran in early December 2013, at the exact same track, with similar weather as that silver C7Z.

Is this the day you made 27 passes on drag radials? From what I recall, the temps were in the 50's. And you were...well...on drag radials.

http://driveviper.com/forums/threads...per-in-the-10s!

And you were running in this air:

That's a ~-1517' DA at around 10 am, ~-1000' around noon and ~-800' around 5 pm. If you ran those times into the night, the DA dropped from there. So the weather he ran in was nowhere near as good as the weather in which you ran a 10.97 on DR's. And we won't even get into the advantages of running during the day with the sun heating the track. And again, here we go comparing a single track outing to the best another car could muster in better air (and on DR's).

That's Atco/Cecil air right there.

So, if you wish to compare +650 DA times vs -DA times, that would just be silly. Both cars will run slower when it is hot outside.
See above.

The results of this "infamous" roll racing video? Who cares? To me, I look at data. Quarter mile times, 60-130 times, vBox data, etc.. That's indisputable, where driving skill, who got the jump, who was in the right gear, etc. are not.
So far, I've seen nothing to convince me that the Z06 will not be a very strong performer.
S.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:56 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Snorman,

You can honestly sit here and type to me that the victories weren't decisive in that video?

Seriously? Really??

I'm waiting for JD's response so we can reproduce the results on a different track with different drivers - hopefully tonight....
Old 12-18-2014, 01:08 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

LOL @ Snorman trying to play Density Altitude Sleuth. I'm honored that you wasted your time trying to find a spec of comparison, that was a lot of typing. I posted my measured DA when I ran the passes. There was nothing to hide there. I also listed a bullet point list of complaints about the Viper in that thread you linked, so I'm not some blind-loyalist that thinks my cars are perfect.

The FACT remains, that my Viper walked away from the C7Z06 each time we raced. Maybe the right lane was faster than the left? Come on.

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To GM apologists are a detriment to serious C7Z discussion

Old 12-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by EdwardETraylorIII
Snorman,

You can honestly sit here and type to me that the victories weren't decisive in that video?

Seriously? Really??

I'm waiting for JD's response so we can reproduce the results on a different track with different drivers - hopefully tonight....
I'll have my Z06 sometime in February.
I'll be happy to bring it to PBIR or you can come to OSW with your stock Gen V Viper and we'll see how "decisive" your victory will be.
No roll racing, no bullsh*t.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:11 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Snorman, thanks for the offer... But my offer is right now. Still waiting on JD to get back to me so we can set this up and end this non-sense.

In February this car will be far from stock.. Won't be a fair race then.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:11 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Not really a "find", since I always well-document my cars online. The main difference (other than weather) between that first visit, and the 10-second visit, was that I never did burnouts again. Apparently, Vipers like to put you into reduced power mode when you do burnouts or dyno the cars. Likely something to do with the ABS or traction control systems freaking out. I simply do not do burnouts now. The car ran like crap after that first burnout, hence the crappy mph that night.

Who knows, maybe the C7Z does the same thing? Maybe that is why it only went 124 mph in negative DA? These are the things to discuss.
True that homie, but remember, just because the DA was the same for that silver Z as it was for you in 2013 is not really a good true barometer as to what the car should do. Driving is everything!!!

My father, who back in the day drag raced for many years in the NMCA arena will tell you that just because DA/conditions were a certain way during X year and the car ran in a certain manner, it does not mean it will run the same way a year later given the same conditions. There are way too many variables to take into account; ESPECIALLY in this case since we are talking about two different vehicles and drivers.

My point is: you ran an avg of 11.10's at 127 or so...at this or that DA in 2013. The Z ran 11.5's at 124 given roughly the same DA in 2014. Not entirely a good performance barometer/gauge to slap on the Z TIME WILL TELL

I mean, God knows how many new Vipers (stock and modded) we have waxed the road with with C6Z's (stock and modded)...the biggest difference...DRIVING SKILLS!!! The new Viper advertised HP/TQ simply kills the C6Z and the Viper is for real. However, does it mean that Dodge or Dodge fanboys should run and hide or claim that something is wrong with the stock new Viper because some stock C6Z guys spanked it? No!

Thanks,
Carlos

Quick Reply: GM apologists are a detriment to serious C7Z discussion