C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Dear GM/Chevrolet,

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

This is obviously a joke. Must be...has to be...
Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bub
I agree with your supposition that QC should be universal; however, it is true that R8C PDI itself at the NCM can tend to be allot more extensive than at most dealerships (especially vs. low volume Corvette dealerships).

R8C PDI techs can even take cars back over across the street to remedy/replace items at the factory...something that no dealership can really effectively replicate with their PDI process.

Just a good way to hedge your bet, if you will, when you are going to lay this kind of $ down. It does require patience to wait for build and R8C vs. the instant gratification that comes with buying something off the showroom floor.

Additionally, the cost of R8C partially goes to support the NCM.
That's useful information.....thanks.....I hadn't thought of that.....in reality,.....maybe THIS IS THE ANSWER........seriously.....quick visit to northern ohio when the weather clears......

It really does make sense, since corvette fans who are doing R8C are probably going to have very keen eyes.....
Old 12-17-2014, 11:17 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by blipit_
They tried to make the ZR1 interior nicer.

But you know what they say...can't polish a turd.
Your a cool new member! Saying you can't polish a turd when you never been in one. Oh your own car that's the turd your speaking of! Mom's calling your late for bed!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06
Sticker on mine was $122K, I paid just under $95K brand new with 0% for 72mnths.

My 3ZR package has a little plastic like any interior, but a good amount of leather.

Very comfortable, and capable ride...

Nice interior Scott! Love the clueless newbee's that join last month and knock the Flagship of Corvette's little do they know how much more plastic is in the new car.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Silver is harder to paint, but I hides dings and scratches best...by far. The upkeep is damn near zero. If I were buying, I would be going with silver as well. I think it also looks best with the clear taillights. Other colors...not so much. Enjoy.
Agree 100% about the tail lights. I don't like them, especially on the bright colored cars. But they blend in well with blade silver. Win-win.
S.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Jbster
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Another happy C7Z thread - and on and on and on ..............

Viper deals are probably thru the roof by now
Hellcat FTW
Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by blipit_
The thing is, you can drive one off the lot for $79k.

ZR1 was over $100k. The interior is a giant POS.

I guess I don't get this?

I must really sux because I purchased a C5 Z06 2 years ago with 20K on it because that's what I could afford paying for a kid in college.

Why the hell are "corvette" people bashing the crap out of previous gen's ?

Just don't get it I guess.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:12 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by FiremanC7
I don't believe that this is a systemic problem, but a local one. The Bowling Green Plant Manager should handle this personally.

BobD
There's no way a Corvette should make it out of the plant in that condition, even if it's just one. No way. Sorry.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:33 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbster
Hellcat FTW
Who wants to take bets on whether or not a Hellcat has:
Orange Peel
Misaligned body panels
Saggy seats

I bet NO to all 3... and its less expensive.

Come on GM, you gotta compete on all levels!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
There's no way a Corvette should make it out of the plant in that condition, even if it's just one. No way. Sorry.

And thank you forum for raising the awareness of this to the front page!
GM needs to see we are paying attention!
Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 AM
b4z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
Guys, this is GM. Their seat manufacturer builds to a,price point. 50 percent of the leather I see in Cadillacs is either not stretched on the seat properly or stitched correctly. You will NEVER see that in an Audi or MB. As far as orange peel goes that's every car ever painted unless its been wet sanded.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:52 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

I have multiple Corvettes. My 1996 Grand Sport was painted the best of them all. But I will say my C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 are painted very well without any orange peel.

But, regardless of price, the cars should be painted correctly. While I have high end polishers, the point is that I should not have to correct the paint. It is unacceptable. That is why there is quality controls put in place. Obviously, these cars passed inspection and that should not happen. There is no excuse for it.

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I think it's hilarious that some among us feel like they're buying an exotic. Over 200 hours are spent just painting an Aventador. Why? Because someone is willing to spend the $$ for it to be flawless. When you buy a Corvette, you are getting world class performance at the cheapest possible price. It's the working man's supercar. It's blue jeans and a ripped t-shirt...not a finely tailored suit.

OP, my Z07 isn't 100% perfect. But, it's probably 98%+. My car has 41 miles on it, with a check engine light on, and won't go into reverse. Am I worried? Not in the least. **** happens and it will get fixed. I found a couple of superficial scratches in the hood and a minor paint defect as well. Rather than get upset, I'll buff it out and get on with life.

No doubt $100K is a decent chunk of dough. But, given what you're getting for the money in comparison to what else is available, nothing even comes close. It's a matter of perspective.

I bought $400K worth of performance for $100K. It's like anything else; you get what you pay for. If GM could make the car flawless for $130K are you still a buyer?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JG853
I have multiple Corvettes. My 1996 Grand Sport was painted the best of them all. But I will say my C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 are painted very well without any orange peel.

But, regardless of price, the cars should be painted correctly. While I have high end polishers, the point is that I should not have to correct the paint. It is unacceptable. That is why there is quality controls put in place. Obviously, these cars passed inspection and that should not happen. There is no excuse for it.
You cannot compare paint from 1996 to paint in 2014. EPA standards are totally different, especially in regards to VOC's (volatile organic compounds). The ONLY modern car that I see that has ZERO orange peel is Aston Martin. Can you find a "lucky" car without OP (besides Aston), sure....but it is the exception, not the rule.

Jimmy

PS. I am NOT excusing this, but orange peel is an INDUSTRY issue, not just a Corvette issue. The INDUSTRY needs to figure it out. And reality is that 9 out of 10 people have never heard of orange peel, can't tell you what it is, and can't identify it.

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-18-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
This is obviously a joke. Must be...has to be...
Which part???? The entire thread or the "Corvette Summer" reject C3?

Jmmy
Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimmyb
You cannot compare paint from 1996 to paint in 2014. EPA standards are totally different, especially in regards to VOC's (volatile organic compounds). The ONLY modern car that I see that has ZERO orange peel is Aston Martin. Can you find a "lucky" car without OP (besides Aston), sure....but it is the exception, not the rule.

Jimmy

PS. I am NOT excusing this, but orange peel is an INDUSTRY issue, not just a Corvette issue. The INDUSTRY needs to figure it out. And reality is that 9 out of 10 people have never heard of orange peel, can't tell you what it is, and can't identify it.
My base-trim level 2014 mazda6 has no orange peel. this is not an industry wide issue.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Which part???? The entire thread or the "Corvette Summer" reject C3?

Jmmy
I'm guessing he's going to say BOTH...
Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM
JG853
Melting Slicks

Received 785 Likes on 457 Posts

I agree and understand. It is an industry issue, regardless of the price of the car.

Jimmy

Get notified of new replies

To Dear GM/Chevrolet,

Old 12-18-2014, 10:07 AM
MarkP
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

I seriously, cannot believe how many friggin women in this thread are bitching about the seat picture being on a yellow car.

Open your damn eyes people...it's called "OVER-EXPOSURE" and "REFLECTION".

So, hike up your skirts, grab your cell phone, go down to your local automotive dealer, and take a bunch of pictures of some cars at different angles and post them back here. Let's see how accurate, and perfectly exposed all of your pictures look.

And while you're out, stop at a local drug store and pick yourselves up some Gynelotrimin.

Unreal...
Old 12-18-2014, 10:10 AM
wgcatlga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the OP is being treated badly because of how freakin' dramatic he is making this. I agree with him in principal, I disagree with how he communicated it.

Jimmy

The OP is in Columbus, Ohio. Probably a Buckeye fan

What do you expect?

J/K
Old 12-18-2014, 10:11 AM
MarkP
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 76 Posts

Jimmy

Finally! A post in this train-wreck of a thread with some validity to it.

Stop at your local BMW dealer and go check out some of those $100,000+ BMW 6-series and M-models. NEWS FLASH: They've got orange peel too and the major body panels are not SMC.

Quick Reply: Dear GM/Chevrolet,