C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

The real question... Failure or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM
timber wolf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C6 Z06 when it launched in 2005 was the absolute benchmark, and has been since then in many respects. Even this new generation is being matched up against the C6, and really not beating it's performance figures by much, with the gap closing in acceleration.

Let's face it, you don't buy the Z06 if you want the luxury interior as a prerequisite. You buy this car because you want the fastest street legal machine on street or track with all the bragging rights and magazine praise.. OK It is nice to by cozy in the process.

But if you're buying this car for comfort and luxury first. You'll probably be just as happy in a loaded base C7.
The problem is, the competition has bridged the gap so much, while the walls are closing in on manufacturers with emissions and what not.

I personally feel this car is a failure. Here is why:The fact that the OP even feels compelled to write this. Says it all. The fact that we need to tune to make it keep up is a failure. Now this doesn't mean it's not a great car to cruise with and to play with. But the prime reason and
BOTTOM LINE:

This car has mostly failed at its main task. Being fast and consistent on a race track. I don't care about one lap wonders. Not having Nurburgring lap times probably tells us the car dies on mile 6. I hope they realize and build a monster NA motor for the LCI. Until then I'm shopping Vipers.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:58 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

May I suggest that the folks who have decided that they have absolutely no interest in the car get off the forum? If you don't like the car, won't consider buying one, and think those of us who own one are fools, then let us know how you feel and then go elsewhere. Please don't hang around and start a half-dozen threads a day to tell us that we're posers for buying it and the magazines are misguided for praising it. It would be nice if Z06 owners and prospective owners could have a little forum of their own to talk about the car without plowing through blizzards of complaints about what an abject failure it is as an automobile.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Car is not a failure. But, a NA, high rev, 427, DI, with VVT would have been my preference.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by timber wolf

I personally feel this car is a failure. Here is why:The fact that the OP even feels compelled to write this. Says it all.
I feel the C6 Z06 is a failure.
I feel the 5th gen Viper is failure.

What other cars do you like?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Bad Bart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I feel the C6 Z06 is a failure.
I feel the 5th gen Viper is failure.

What other cars do you like?
I personally feel those cars are failures. Here is why:The fact that SBC_and_a_stick even feels compelled to write this. Says it all.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Good lord no wonder why bmbarney taking 30 days off from here.... constant negativity on 95% of the threads.
While I agree I'll take the negativity over every other thread being a vendor trying to sell a exhaust tip, steering wheel, or intake.

Which is what it will be in a year!
Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

The sales data is going to tell you if the car is a failure or not, and I'm betting it will be a home run for the General.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The C6 Z06 when it launched in 2005 was the absolute benchmark, and has been since then in many respects. Even this new generation is being matched up against the C6, and really not beating it's performance figures by much, with the gap closing in acceleration.

Let's face it, you don't buy the Z06 if you want the luxury interior as a prerequisite. You buy this car because you want the fastest street legal machine on street or track with all the bragging rights and magazine praise.. OK It is nice to by cozy in the process.

But if you're buying this car for comfort and luxury first. You'll probably be just as happy in a loaded base C7.
The problem is, the competition has bridged the gap so much, while the walls are closing in on manufacturers with emissions and what not.

I personally feel this car is a failure. Here is why:The fact that the OP even feels compelled to write this. Says it all. The fact that we need to tune to make it keep up is a failure. Now this doesn't mean it's not a great car to cruise with and to play with. But the prime reason and
BOTTOM LINE:

This car has mostly failed at its main task. Being fast and consistent on a race track. I don't care about one lap wonders. Not having Nurburgring lap times probably tells us the car dies on mile 6. I hope they realize and build a monster NA motor for the LCI. Until then I'm shopping Vipers.
I'm thinking along the lines of another member here: the C7 Z06 is not to the C6 Z06 what the C6 Z06 was to all other Corvettes. Sure wish I woulda bought a C6 Z06 instead of a Grand Sport.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:00 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
The sales data is going to tell you if the car is a failure or not, and I'm betting it will be a home run for the General.
This

All the noise in the world good bad or indifferent has zero value.... But for great humour......

It is really a simple equation. If they reach their sales goals then absolutely nothing in this ether matters one way or the other.

I'm sure some the more seasoned folk on here will laugh at how the more things change the more they stay the same...I would imagine in the 60's this same type of stuff went on but not quite so prevalent without the web.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLANB
How many of these stupid threads are there going to be?
Agreed.

The trolls have won, and without hardly a fight from Vette Guys.

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
Failure because a true track car isn't supercharged.
Uh, OK, VIPER Vette.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:13 PM
timber wolf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaryBob
May I suggest that the folks who have decided that they have absolutely no interest in the car get off the forum? If you don't like the car, won't consider buying one, and think those of us who own one are fools, then let us know how you feel and then go elsewhere. Please don't hang around and start a half-dozen threads a day to tell us that we're posers for buying it and the magazines are misguided for praising it. It would be nice if Z06 owners and prospective owners could have a little forum of their own to talk about the car without plowing through blizzards of complaints about what an abject failure it is as an automobile.
fo·rum
ˈfôrəm/
noun
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

On that note i have every right to come here and express my frustration with the car. Ive owned 3 z06s and adore the lineage and feel let down. Stay off the forum if you are feeling that fragile!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil
While I agree I'll take the negativity over every other thread being a vendor trying to sell a exhaust tip, steering wheel, or intake.

LOL idk both are about as bad
Old 12-16-2014, 09:10 PM
pdd000
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick

SPEED: In the grand scheme of things C6 Z06, C6 ZR1, C7 Z06 are in the fast group. The small differences here and there may be a big deal for a forum bench racer or some kid posting comments on you tube but for someone that signs up for events it won't matter that much.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
I hope its not true, but if the C7Z can't complete 8-10 twenty minute HDPE sessions over a weekend with an experienced driver we're going to hear about it.
Eight 25-30 minute sessions per weekend.

A track car should be able to go out on the track with a full tank of gasoline and stay out on the track until it is out of gasoline without overheating or heat soaking any component.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

fo·rum
ˈfôrəm/
noun
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

On that note i have every right to come here and express my frustration with the car. Ive owned 3 z06s and adore the lineage and feel let down. Stay off the forum if you are feeling that fragile!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup

A track car should be able to go out on the track with a full tank of gasoline and stay out on the track until it is out of gasoline without overheating or heat soaking any component.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup

Well that would eliminate a factory, non CCB, C6Z or Viper, as I've seen road course drivers of sufficient skill capable of smoking the brakes on those inside of one session.

Get notified of new replies

To The real question... Failure or no?

Old 12-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasil

...yes, part of the reason I've been frequenting the C7 Z06 forum...posts - yeah, alot of criticism - about the newest Corvette's performance...

I'm a big fan of the car!

When available, I look forward to driving this car at Spring Mountain.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Agreed.

The trolls have won, and without hardly a fight from Vette Guys.

Uh, OK, VIPER Vette.
Viper, the car that sheds its hood vents in car reviews.
Viper, the car that is about to get SUPERCHARGED itself.
Viper, the car that cooks its brakes and its passengers. Bake on the inside, fry on the side exhausts.
Viper, the car that scares even pro-drivers.

That Viper?

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Well that would eliminate a factory, non CCB, C6Z or Viper, as I've seen road course drivers of sufficient skill capable of smoking the brakes on those inside of one session.
Hell it would eliminate nearly all sports cars, even the ones you see on the track daily.

The GTR needed trans cooling and brake cooling.
The FRS/BRZ needed engine cooler.
The 350Z needed both an engine cooler and brake cooling.
The Mustang always needs better brakes.
The Miatas come auto, so I presume you can always cook one with the right transmission.
Most BMW 3 Series don't come with an LSD.
The V8 BMW M3 that cooks its brakes with its one piston calipers.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:55 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_AX
prius and F150s sell very well.

Quick Reply: The real question... Failure or no?