C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs '14 991 TTS - Close race at first, but then things got ugly!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
I absolutely believe a 997 or 991 TT-S will beat the C7Z06 on the highway, and from a stop. Many people aren't informed about the Porsche, and how fast/quick they actually are. Likely because the price is out of their realm of consideration. They are legit 10.7-10.8 ET cars, and trap 127-128 mph, regularly. Right off the showroom floor.

I also posted that video of me running door to door with the TT-S in my Viper. It was the closest race I've ever had, stock vs stock. If I could easily walk away from the C7Z in 4th gear, so would the TT-S. And the ZR1. Just wait until some others begin posting videos of the ZR1, because with equal drivers, I have zero doubt the ZR1 pulls the C7Z, just like the Viper did.

All of this disappointment stems from the magazines and media hype surrounding the Z06. Had they portrayed the car simply as an improved Z06 (it is), instead of the world champion of sportscars that would even dominate the previous ZR1, then nobody would be so disappointed. I fell for the hype, and so did you. Now we are seeing reality, and it is difficult for some to accept. Sure, the C7Z should be more than capable of some great lap times, that is what the car was designed for. But, many owners will never experience that joy, unfortunately. But, these highway battles do get attention, as that is where most car enthusiasts tend to meet up.

Hey Carlos, TAG! You're it
Or maybe people thought that it would dominate because the C6Z06 dick stomped the viper and porsche when it was released.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:11 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,207 Likes on 6,015 Posts

My understanding was always that a roots simply moved air w/o pressurizing it. The boost was created by simply moving more air into the engine. A "twin screw" actually pressurizes the air between the rotors right?

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...romcatalog.pdf
Old 12-14-2014, 06:15 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
No but it's give a little take a little. No other sports car has track warranty coverage for part failures and 100k miles on the drivetrain. I don't like it either, but when looking at it from their perspective it's hard not to understand it.

One of the fastest cars around, even when timing cut, warranty on track and 100k miles. I'll be honest, the car Andy, Randy and Tommy lapped at road atlanta was cutting timing and running 1:29's. I have yet to see a bone stock car within 3-4 seconds of that.

So for someone like me, that shoe fits.
my point was that you should not need to void your warranty on a brand new car to circumvent this short coming...didn't need to on the ZR1 or C6Z06 and they had 100K power train warranties and track coverage and those cars are 5 and 8 year old platforms.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by DerStig
I highly doubt the Z06 will take a GT3 or a TTS in a tecnical track.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:20 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default awd

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Thanks for the........oh wait, no videos.
700 hp
Old 12-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
My understanding was always that a roots simply moved air w/o pressurizing it. The boost was created by simply moving more air into the engine. A "twin screw" actually pressurizes the air between the rotors right?

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...romcatalog.pdf
Exactly correct. Pressurizing the air as it moves through the supercharger. A constant flow at lower temps with less effort than the old roots blowers.

Anyone interested in a more detailed description of how the supercharger/compressor works on their Z06 should read the link Tool Hoarder posted. Zeshawn should pay close attention to the first paragraph on page two.

Thanks.

Last edited by Randy G.; 12-14-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:35 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DerStig
I am most likely going to buy a Z06 regardless of what issues it has and how much I complain. Simply because it is the only option out there with a manual transmission. Porsche does not make a manual GT3 anymore. Z06 is also the only car which comes as a coupe but you can take the top off. You get so much more with the Z06. Forget the money and the performance. I want manual, period.

Also last time I checked Porsche don't have basic features like HUD or PDR. So yes we can talk and talk here about how much Z06 has been a disappointment, but we all would be idiots to pass it over.
You should do what I did: buy both.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:51 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Who is likely to be more objective here? People who have the car on order/in their garage or those who want to sell tunes, cold air kits and other upgrades to them?

The data will tell the story.
S.
126 mph trap speeds, in winter and from more than one source, is startling data. I thought for sure this car would trap low 13X's mph.

What's really puzzling is that it's making great power on a chassis dyno, but performs no better (in a roll race, at least) against the C6 Z06. I have several time slips of my 09' Z06 trapping 126 mph..bone stock.

I don't get it.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Than any 911.
It's physics. The only thing holding the mid engine pcars back is Porsche's brand protection, and gimping it's hp so it doesn't completely replace the 911. Put an equal powered mid engine pcar on the track with a GT3, 911TTs, and it'll walk the dog on it, all day long.
There are two things you don't want to do in power distribution for handling purposes.
One is Front Wheel Drive,
and the other is Rear Engine Rear Drive.
Way too much weight bias in the front, making the car push right on off the track, and to go with it Torque Steer.
The latter suffers from, making the car skittish and twitchy. Power correction also doesn't fix it, and will make it worse as it shifts even more weight to the back.
Trail braking also isn't gonna happen either, vs a mid engine or Front engine rear drive, because it further upsets the balance of the car.
That's actually the reason most drivers feel like the 911 handles well compared to it's competition is because most people think that all you should be doing in cornering is turning the wheel rather than playing with the throttle, or deep trail braking. Both of which are huge weaknesses with Rear Engine designed cars.

Cayman is the car I meant, my mistake. But you get the point.
I've heard it all now. 911 is not a good a good handling car because of its rear engine? Dude, that skittishness / twitchiness IS why the 911 takes corners so well. You'd better know how to drive if you take on the track though.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:07 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

My base '08 C6 just dreams of having problems like this!
Old 12-14-2014, 07:12 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
my point was that you should not need to void your warranty on a brand new car to circumvent this short coming...didn't need to on the ZR1 or C6Z06 and they had 100K power train warranties and track coverage and those cars are 5 and 8 year old platforms.
I don't think the C6Z and ZR1 had full track coverage barring accident. Several people with C6Z's were denied coverage for car appearing to have been tracked. At least from what I have read on this forum.

My issue is wondering where does it stop? In the summer, will the car stop cutting timing, go into limp mode? The rate at which it was losing straight line speed was startling considering the highest speed we saw wasn't even indicative of 650 hp. But after 1 hot lap it was down 2-3 mph so what happens after 5-10 hot laps? This is what I would like to know.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:15 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

You'd better know how to drive if you take on the track though.
Know how to drive or know how to drive an unbalanced car? That is the frustrating fact about porsches drivetrain layout. It always has been a *** backwards design and the Germans being the engineering wizards they are have made it work and made it competitive. You can drive a square peg in a round hole if you hit it hard enough.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:18 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
With all due respect I doubt you know the difference.

Francis Marion Roots, founders of the Roots Blower Company, Connersville, Indiana, first patented the basic design in 1860 as an air pump for use in blast furnaces and other industrial applications. It's an outdated design.

No gasoline engine would survive the heat generated by a roots style blower at GM's stated supercharger RPM of 20,000. That's why they aren't made anymore, except for top fuel and nostalgia drag racing where the rules mandate their use. Roots blowers inject air in pulse waves that create hotter supercharger discharge port temperatures which results in hot intake manifold air temps and detonation due to heat. Plus, the roots is extremely inefficient. A roots supercharger even in high helix configuration on a top alcohol funny car producing 3,500 HP when they were still in use 20 years ago consumed 650-700 HP to spin it in order to generate 47 pounds of boost.

Screw compressors are just that. They are opposing screw shaped shafts (male and female rotors) first designed for industrial applications. One of the first racing engine uses was in the 1990's when Art Whipple adapted the Lysholm twin screw compressor for use as a supercharger on top alcohol NHRA drag racing. It was quickly realized that the same 47 pounds of boost was generated with only 250 HP consumed to spin the blower and the discharge temperature/intake manifold air temperature measurements from the discharge port were significantly cooler, reducing preignition/detonation and increasing HP to the crank. Instead of delivering pulsing air waves produced by the roots rotors, the screw compressor delivers a steady stream of air making it easier to tune from. It was perfected by Norm Drazy and his company, PSI, when he produced the first purpose built screw compressor used today in Top Alcohol and Pro Mod drag racing.

Impressive writeup, but completely incorrect as applied to the C7Z; The C7Z supercharger is actually a twisted-lobe ROOTS blower produced by Eaton (TVS series), and not a screw blower.

The twisted-lobe TVS blowers have no internal compression along their axis; it looks like a screw design, but it's not; There are no male and female rotors to produce axial compression, rather, in the TVS, each rotor is symmetrically opposite, and the trapped volume does not decrease as these rotors turn. The twisted lobe serves, among other things, to improve adiabatic efficiency by reducing outlet turbulence.

You can see a picture of it here:

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/lt4-e...wer-is-coming/

A screw blower uses unequal "screws"; one male lobe screw reduces the trapped volume against the other female rotor screw, axially. The air is compressed axially before exiting the blower outlet.

Last edited by RedLS6; 12-14-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:18 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't think the C6Z and ZR1 had full track coverage barring accident. Several people with C6Z's were denied coverage for car appearing to have been tracked. At least from what I have read on this forum.

My issue is wondering where does it stop? In the summer, will the car stop cutting timing, go into limp mode? The rate at which it was losing straight line speed was startling considering the highest speed we saw wasn't even indicative of 650 hp. But after 1 hot lap it was down 2-3 mph so what happens after 5-10 hot laps? This is what I would like to know.
I had two incidents at the track (WGI, Mosport) where I had a failure of the fuel pump relay module and had the Chevy dealership pick up the car from both tracks without any question with warranty.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Exactly, that's what I'd like to know too. Seeing these issues after a handful of roll races is nothing compared to the beating it will take on a road course with even intermediate level drivers.

I'm really hoping these issues get resolved, because everything else about the car seems awesome.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:11 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Know how to drive or know how to drive an unbalanced car? That is the frustrating fact about porsches drivetrain layout. It always has been a *** backwards design and the Germans being the engineering wizards they are have made it work and made it competitive. You can drive a square peg in a round hole if you hit it hard enough.
Well that square peg certainly has its following.

You do realize that true race cars driven by pro level drivers are inherently unbalanced, ie. if you let go of the steering while driving perfectly straight the car would instantly spin off the track. The alignment and suspension geometry is set to the extreme to facilitate going around turns.

The F16 fighter jet (one of the most maneuverable fighters ever made) is unbalanced and could not fly without the aide of computers. Is the F16 a faulty design too?
Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Open wheel cars are similar in corner scale balance to 911's as well. And now most manufacturers aim for rearward weight bias for better rear traction. Kindergarten level forum engineers need not apply. Lol.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs '14 991 TTS - Close race at first, but then things got ugly!!!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
You do realize that true race cars driven by pro level drivers are inherently unbalanced, ie. if you let go of the steering while driving perfectly straight the car would instantly spin off the track. The alignment and suspension geometry is set to the extreme to facilitate going around turns.
Odd. Our GT2 experimental class racecar which finished 12th at the 24 hours of Nurburgring driven by serious drivers, including a Formula 1 driver, was able to be driven with no hands at high speeds. In a 24 hour race it can almost get boring on the back straight after some time. Various times I saw footage of them rolling with no hands and the car went straight as an arrow. Are you talking more like an F1 car?

Best,
Gene
Old 12-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
Well that square peg certainly has its following.

The F16 fighter jet (one of the most maneuverable fighters ever made) is unbalanced and could not fly without the aide of computers. Is the F16 a faulty design too?
Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No

Originally Posted by phantasms
Odd. Our GT2 experimental class racecar which finished 12th at the 24 hours of Nurburgring driven by serious drivers, including a Formula 1 driver, was able to be driven with no hands at high speeds. In a 24 hour race it can almost get boring on the back straight after some time. Various times I saw footage of them rolling with no hands and the car went straight as an arrow. Are you talking more like an F1 car?

Best,
Gene
he is talking more from ignorance.

Even F1 will stay straight if you let go of the wheel, if it was straight already.
I think he means it changes direction easily, and is easily influenced by track feedback, needing driver input to stay straight.
Nascar on the other hand, needs to be steered to the left to stay straight...

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs '14 991 TTS - Close race at first, but then things got ugly!!!