C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:07 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by charperimg
Here's the latest. It sounds like they are replacing the PCM. Injector 8 was pushing 7 tenths of a volt while the others were pushing 3 tenths. They have to verify the PCM hasn't been reflashed or anything like that before they can get the swap going. They said they won't have anything more for me until tomorrow.

So, that being said, boy am I glad I didn't do a tune on this first thing!

More as it comes... /ch
Did they mention if the PCM was in the trunk ???
Old 12-15-2014, 04:07 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's the latest. It sounds like they are replacing the PCM. Injector 8 was pushing 7 tenths of a volt while the others were pushing 3 tenths. They have to verify the PCM hasn't been reflashed or anything like that before they can get the swap going. They said they won't have anything more for me until tomorrow.

More as it comes... /ch
wow, lucky!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

More as it comes... /ch
Thanks for the update.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Shoot, I've been bouncing back and forth in between tuning and keeping the stock tune. This just scared me back in to the "keep the stock tune" corner!

-Ron
Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,220 Likes on 6,023 Posts

No way in heck would I tune a brand new car. Cars, especially electronics, will fail early in the life cycle, or pretty much never.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch702
Your correct Charperimg. I was on the fence before the c7 z06 came out. Now I'm walking away. I was not happy with how GM went blower as opposed to the z06 NA nature. On the otherhand, Viper stuck to their v10 NA and got an hp boost from it while still keeping engine stable. Your incident along with all the other misses that GM apparently has just helped me make my decision super easy. Long live the LS7!!!!
Why settle with an LS7? What you really want is a Honda SOHC 4 cylinder engine. Quite possibly the most reliable powerplant on the planet.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:18 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

** Keep in mind I'm not mechanically inclined so much of the below to me is a foreign language! **

Just got a hold of the dealership, tech was able to find the PCM and checked resistance on the line going to the problematic cylinder/injector and he said the line tested "infinite resistance", so he's hoping to find the injector is just simply unplugged.

However, to get to the injector, they need to pull the intake and supercharger off to get to it. So, may not be a bad injector, may simply not be connected. They'll check all the other connections while they're in there just to make sure everything is good.

Hoping the above proves to be the case as they don't think they have injectors for this car in stock.

More as it comes! /ch
Charperimg are you 100% confident in your dealer, honestly I wouldn't want to be the first one with the techs that likely aren't getting enough training working on this car. I would ask the dealer at this point if they have the right resources working on the car.

I could be completely overreacting but man these days it's difficult to completely trust what they tell you. I would definitely begin asking to escalate to GM if it's not fixed today.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:21 PM
charperimg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrhand
Charperimg are you 100% confident in your dealer, honestly I wouldn't want to be the first one with the techs that likely aren't getting enough training working on this car. I would ask the dealer at this point if they have the right resources working on the car.

I could be completely overreacting but man these days it's difficult to completely trust what they tell you. I would definitely begin asking to escalate to GM if it's not fixed today.
At this point, I feel this is what the warranty is for. These guys are all experts compared to my education level under the hood. And if they screw it up, which I don't think they will, I know the dealer would make it right.

I guess I'm just a trusting guy. Even though I've been screwed by that many times as of late.

That said, the latest update is GM is overnighting a new PCM. But I'm told that might not show up until Wednesday.

So I'm down and out at least another day. I just wanna drive this thing!!!
Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Good luck and god speed OP
Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM
SoonerSpeedFreak
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
No way in heck would I tune a brand new car. Cars, especially electronics, will fail early in the life cycle, or pretty much never.

And especially this car and for the first year at least. I have a feeling there will definitely be some warranty disputes/problems in the next few months. Going to be a hot topic.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

At this point, I feel this is what the warranty is for. These guys are all experts compared to my education level under the hood. And if they screw it up, which I don't think they will, I know the dealer would make it right.

I guess I'm just a trusting guy. Even though I've been screwed by that many times as of late.

That said, the latest update is GM is overnighting a new PCM. But I'm told that might not show up until Wednesday.

So I'm down and out at least another day. I just wanna drive this thing!!!
Well at least you have a Hellcat to play with until the Z gets fixed ...Merica!!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM
charperimg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
Well at least you have a Hellcat to play with until the Z gets fixed ...Merica!!
Wish the Hellcat was mine to do that with!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:47 PM
nethomas
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope you get it back soon. I guess I don't understand, if it is just unplugged and won't start, why did it start to begin with?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:48 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Few more thoughts here CH. I don't believe the new PCM is going to fix anything.

Earlier they said they had a "infinite resistance" going to the suspect injector. As stated this could be caused by an open wire, wire came loose because it was not seated properly, or an open injector.

Then they found a higher than normal voltage from the PCM for the suspect injector.

It would make sense that the voltage would be higher because there is no load on the signal as the connection to the injector is open.

So rather than wait until the PCM gets here ask them if the could measure the resistance to ground of a good injector and then the suspect injector.

They should do this at the PCM connector with the connector removed from the PCM. Tell them a screwball on the forum ask for this info.

It sure can't hurt anything.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind here we're dealing with likely the first '15 Z06 service for this dealership. So I don't expect them to magically be experts in this car yet just overnight. Sure GM could send out advanced training, all of that, I have no idea how it normally works. But I wouldn't expect them to be experts, yet.

What happened in the course of driving when this happened was I shifted from 1st to 2nd as I was coming away from a stop light and the car bogged a bit and seem to just stall out. Engine light came on. Threw in the clutch, put the car in neutral, and hit the start button. Engine continued to try and turn over but no ignition. Pulled over to the center of the road, and repeated. No go. So that's how it went. At this point, the computer threw a code as a result of the condition that was experienced. The car entered a protection mode, and I believe this is why it didn't let it start. It started the next morning for the tech's, but the engine light was still on, stabilitrak light was on I believe, and the car wouldn't go over 5mph.

On the point of GM not giving a ****, I don't believe that. I'm not sure if this has been escalated to that level yet. Nor do I think it needs to, yet.

The dealer is doing the best they can and I'm hoping to have the issue resolved today. It's certainly not the dealer's fault this happened, so I'm not taking it out on them. They're just the ones trying to help the car get back on its feet.

More as it comes! /ch
You're a gentleman!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:54 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by *C7*
Few more thoughts here CH. I don't believe the new PCM is going to fix anything.

Earlier they said they had a "infinite resistance" going to the suspect injector. As stated this could be caused by an open wire, wire came loose because it was not seated properly, or an open injector.

Then they found a higher than normal voltage from the PCM for the suspect injector.

It would make sense that the voltage would be higher because there is no load on the signal as the connection to the injector is open.

So rather than wait until the PCM gets here ask them if the could measure the resistance to ground of a good injector and then the suspect injector.

They should do this at the PCM connector with the connector removed from the PCM. Tell them a screwball on the forum ask for this info.

Sound troubleshooting
Old 12-15-2014, 07:04 PM
kammi10
Cruising

i also support this idea

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 won't start

Old 12-15-2014, 07:06 PM
charperimg
Instructor

I've passed this on to the dealership and will let you know what comes of it! Certainly appreciate you taking the time to write that up! /ch
Old 12-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:26 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Keep in mind here we're dealing with likely the first '15 Z06 service for this dealership. So I don't expect them to magically be experts in this car yet just overnight. Sure GM could send out advanced training, all of that, I have no idea how it normally works. But I wouldn't expect them to be experts, yet.

What happened in the course of driving when this happened was I shifted from 1st to 2nd as I was coming away from a stop light and the car bogged a bit and seem to just stall out. Engine light came on. Threw in the clutch, put the car in neutral, and hit the start button. Engine continued to try and turn over but no ignition. Pulled over to the center of the road, and repeated. No go. So that's how it went. At this point, the computer threw a code as a result of the condition that was experienced. The car entered a protection mode, and I believe this is why it didn't let it start. It started the next morning for the tech's, but the engine light was still on, stabilitrak light was on I believe, and the car wouldn't go over 5mph.

On the point of GM not giving a ****, I don't believe that. I'm not sure if this has been escalated to that level yet. Nor do I think it needs to, yet.

The dealer is doing the best they can and I'm hoping to have the issue resolved today. It's certainly not the dealer's fault this happened, so I'm not taking it out on them. They're just the ones trying to help the car get back on its feet.

More as it comes! /ch
I wish more people on this forum were as reasonable as you.

Quick Reply: Z06 won't start