C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tune and GM warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:25 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Tune and GM warranty

With all this talk of tunes can someone clarify how this works. If I tune the car, is it in the hands of the dealer to look the other way or void it? In the audi world some dealers are cool and I travel 50 min for service because I helped the service manager pick a tune for his car so no issues when my needs warranty service. Or is this a GTR situation where a tech scans the car and the info is sent to GM right away and even if the dealer wanted to help, they couldnt.
Also can the tune be removed without GM seeing history of it prior to service if needed?

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 12-10-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:27 AM
thesaad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
With all this talk of tunes can someone clarify how this works. If I tune the car, is it in the hands of the dealer to look the other way or void it? In the audi world some dealers are cool and I travel 50 min for service because I helped the service manager pick a tune for his car so no issues when my needs warranty service. Or is this a situation where a tech scans the car and the info is sent to GM right away and even if the dealer wanted to help, they couldnt.
listening...
Old 12-10-2014, 12:30 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

I wouldnt count on warranty being good for drive train it will only be getting worse, wish there was actually some gm supported tuners that they did turn a blind eye to.

Most likely it will be the later scenario
Old 12-10-2014, 12:30 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

GM will void the warranty as soon as they find out.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

I'm paying all this money for a car that I planed on doing a lot of track events here and not having to worry about anything because it's under warranty. So the question now is do i pick up my car friday and hope all this talk isn't true and if it is risk having no warranty to do what I want with it in an unproven platform. Or do I pass on a car I've been waiting 2 years for and wait to see what comes. $hit this sucks a little.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:45 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

I'm paying all this money for a car that I planed on doing a lot of track events here and not having to worry about anything because it's under warranty. So the question now is do i pick up my car friday and hope all this talk isn't true and if it is risk having no warranty to do what I want with it. Or do I pass on a car I've been waiting 2 years for and wait to see what comes. $hit this sucks a little.
track it the way it is now. no one really knows the answer til we start getting some cars in the hands of private people to see how they hold up to track duty then decide. or Wait and see if ya can order once some had had them in posession a while and the reviews come in.

If ya dont tune it, it will be under warranty so dont let any postings take the wind out of your sails about getting the car.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:48 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

My only concern is that if all this talk about the heating issue is true then you can't really track it the way you would want and your stuck since I would own it already. Wish I had more info by Friday lol
Old 12-10-2014, 12:49 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

My only concern is that if all this talk about the heating issue is true then you can't really track it the way you would want and your stuck since I would own it already. Wish I had more info by Friday lol
yeah i hear ya man double edged sword
Old 12-10-2014, 12:50 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Datrojan
GM will void the warranty as soon as they find out.
But how does GM find out is the question
Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

But how does GM find out is the question
Cars are computers.

Everything in computers are audited.

They know how many times the PCM is flashed, etc.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:58 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
Cars are computers.

Everything in computers are audited.

They know how many times the PCM is flashed, etc.
Exactly.
If someone can dig up texts from a former QB sending dong pictures, you better believe GM can plug in and know everything you did to the car in seconds.

Jimmy
Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Still no real answer to my question. I understand the above statements but again, it is the dealer who makes this call if he finds a tune or is the info sent to GM automatically? Can the dealer choose to look the other way if he wanted?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:11 AM
minytrker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For any major drivetrain warranty claim one of the first steps is to check to see if the vehicle has an aftermarket calibration in it. The dealer has to take a screenshot of the tech 2 showing the calibration is still stock when submitting the warranty claim.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Still no real answer to my question. I understand the above statements but again, it is the dealer who makes this call if he finds a tune or is the info sent to GM automatically? Can the dealer choose to look the other way if he wanted?
they could but then if gm finds out the dealer can then be billed for any said items that wouldnt be covered. gonna have go grease some palms heavily if they are gonna turn a blind eye
Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 AM
scott76807
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm paying all this money for a car that I planed on doing a lot of track events here and not having to worry about anything because it's under warranty. So the question now is do i pick up my car friday and hope all this talk isn't true and if it is risk having no warranty to do what I want with it in an unproven platform. Or do I pass on a car I've been waiting 2 years for and wait to see what comes. $hit this sucks a little.
From what I have seen on this forum

GM will not honor the warranty if the car breaks at the track....

There was a long post on a blown motor that turned in to a night mare
Old 12-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Z06Wolf
Advanced

Originally Posted by scott76807
From what I have seen on this forum

GM will not honor the warranty if the car breaks at the track....

There was a long post on a blown motor that turned in to a night mare
GM can very easily deny coverage for any and all parts, based on an ECU tune.

In fact, they can void your entire warranty. The question then becomes, what action will you take? Will you hire an attorney at $450.00 per hour, one who has federal experience, to pursue the matter? Good luck with that...

While you may eventually get somewhere, it's absolutely more difficult than you could ever believe and could drag on for months or years, all the while you're out repair costs and legal fees, both of which you may never recover.

I'm not saying GM is right or wrong, I'm simply educating (in VERY broad strokes) on how the legal system works in our country, again rightly or wrongly.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:59 AM
minytrker
Burning Brakes

I have personally seen a new camaro with just headers and a tune get the warranty voided when it broke a valve spring and tried to get it covered under warranty. The dealer didnt care about the tune but it wasnt up to them, it was out of their hands.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune and GM warranty

Old 12-10-2014, 02:05 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

- Beta Tester on New Z06

- Guinea Pig on a new Tune

What could possibly go wrong.

Talk about double jeopardy.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:51 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

small stuff maybe youll get away with it, blow the motor, trans or rear diff and your done. Info gets copied from pcm and sent to GM to review. simple as that. I worked for a chevy dealer for a few years. I left 6 months ago after I replaced the heads on my Z. Im thinking early in the game they will want to know everything that goes wrong with these cars for r&d. If weird stuff starts happening they want to know why.

Last edited by erikszr1; 12-10-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Ensoniq
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all this talk of tunes can someone clarify how this works. If I tune the car, is it in the hands of the dealer to look the other way or void it? In the audi world some dealers are cool and I travel 50 min for service because I helped the service manager pick a tune for his car so no issues when my needs warranty service. Or is this a GTR situation where a tech scans the car and the info is sent to GM right away and even if the dealer wanted to help, they couldnt.
Also can the tune be removed without GM seeing history of it prior to service if needed?
This isn't how Audi is anymore. It's a real spy vs. spy battle these days

Dealers are required to scan when there is any warranty claim and cars are flagged TD1 for life. The regional is called in to decide how to handle/reject the warrant claim.

They've used anti tamper hardware to the PCM but that's been defeated. The big name tuners make an original version of the file and reinstall it, which effectively resets the PCM flash counter,

People are running back and forth to their tuner to put in on, take it off, etc.. Now they've come out with a flash access port so it no longer takes 3-4 hours to do.

One guy I know even has two PCMs

Quick Reply: Tune and GM warranty