C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C&D comparison data: C6Z & C7Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:51 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can definitely tell you that both my Z06s and my Zr1 were faster past 150 than the new Z06. They could put this debate to bed with big ring numbers but they don't have them. This is really disappointing after the C5Z06 and ZR1 dominating everything out there for so long.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:01 AM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racezx9
I have the C6 Z06, look at the weight of the car from 06 to carbon edition it went up !!! Because they added things the market wants, the crappy interior had to be improved, the snap to death behavior at the limit had to be changed. The new car has a better frame a better drive train, better transmission, better technology across the board....do you even own a vette, or can afford the, have you actually lived with one for any period of time a C6, a C5...what do you actually own or do you live in your parents basement and pretend. You want light weight buy a Miata !!
What a reaction... Search is your friend. Since your in the area, look forward to seeing your new Z in the spring. And yes, I would certainly hope anything new would advance with better tech. Typically that's how it works.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:09 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Leadfoot01
Yeah--the car sucks. Highest lateral G readings (1.17-19) ever tested on a road car. Best braking ever recorded from 70mph by C&D on a road car. Ecstatic reviews by those that have actually DRIVEN the car. Runs a 1:29 out of the box at RA and then you drive it home listening to a 10 speaker Bose stereo with your seats on cooling while surfing the Internet on 4G wifi. Then getting home and downloading all the PDR data from your day at the track. I mean, WHO would want this POS?!?!
I hope all the people so negative on the car DON'T buy one so those of us that have can enjoy a little more exclusivity during our ownership experience.

Rant over! I'm new to the corvette world so maybe I don't know any better, but I can't believe the amount of BS that gets posted on this forum.
Very True!
Old 12-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by JMB
I keep hearing everyone talk about heat soak and we all know how this can be detrimental to performance but could this item below explain why the car still has more potential...did they actually fill this vehicle with 91 octane or is this a misprint (hard to handwrite something in error as opposed to a typo!).
No, it's not a misprint.
Most of the mags fill the cars with the minimum required octane, whether it impacts horsepower or not. This same thing was pointed out last year when the C7 tests came out in the various magazines.
Lots of people laughed and claimed they would be "12 second cars" and about on-par with a C6. Many people mocked those of us who predicted mid-11 second times for the C7. A year later the quickest C7 has gone 11.3 at almost 123 mph. Others are in the 11.4's with more in the mid-11's. I would guess within the next 6-12 months every single car on the C7 "Fast List" top-10 will be in the 11.3-11.6 range. Heck, a base A8 car might hit 11.2's.
So here we are, a little over one year, ~170rwhp/180rwtq and 125# later. And people think the C7 Z06 is going to run low-11's or barely squeak into the 10's. LMFAO.
The A8 cars are going to run solid mid-10's at over 130 mph. The M7 cars will be determined by driver and how badly GM hobbled them with TM.
What will they run up to 160 mph? I don't know. I don't care. I drag race and do lots of track days (20 days this year and I took the last two months off). I care about what it will do from 0-130 mph and how much exit speed it will carry to set me up for the next corner. I don't think those 60-130 or similar times are going to pose a problem. And I will datalog my A8 car from various intervals and at the drag strip. After that, it should be at Daytona in April for 2-days on-track.
From what Vengeance and LMR have posted, the IAT2's are "quite impressive" and "awesome" (even stating that IAT2's were lower after a pull than while idling). I think there is something else at play. Ron@Vengeance indicated that the LT4 was pulling timing at tip in, and "there are over a dozen timing tables constantly adding/subtracting timing based on various conditions". What those conditions are and why the ECU might be pulling power will very likely be determined very soon.
FWIW...I as not insinuating you made any of the aforementioned comments or claims.
S.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:33 AM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my 2010 Z06,and wish GM kept the Z naturally aspirated.. The LS7 is a great motor that has very good potential , and awesome for the track. Session after session..

Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The car has a ***** load of down force. It is designed for the road course track. Emphasis on handling not top speed
If all you care about is straight line. Take off all the spoilers and don't run the car in PTM modes or with rev match on . It kills way to much timing for too long on shifts.

Manuals do run 12.0 which is what all the magazine's tested. That wide first gear slows it down
Old 12-09-2014, 08:09 AM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by TripleBlack99
looks like the author of that article got a response from gm:

We’ve contacted GM to ask them about the reason behind the shy ECU setup and we’ll be back with an update as soon as we have an answer.

Update: GM has responded, explaining the reasons behind the ECU setup reigning over the LT4 V8. To put it shortly, Chevy wants to make sure the Z06 meets emission targets and keeps placing those 650 ponies at the mercy of your right foot for at least 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), which are the intervals covered by the warranty.

To use the automaker's words: "We are confident that the vast majority of customers are going to be more than satisfied with the performance the Z06 offers in stock form. For those that want more power, they can visit an aftermarket tuner – who are not held to the same standards [emissions and warranty] as an OEM. However, this presents significant risk to the customer. An aftermarket tune voids the vehicle warranty as Chevrolet cannot possibly test or confirm the durability of their calibration; and aftermarket calibrations could cause drivability issues that are not present in the factory setting."

When asked about a possible track tune, that would unlock some extra potential for limited amounts of time, GM said they are not planning such a move.

Basically, GM acts like a father who's giving you a car - it hands you the keys and whether you want to enjoy the supercharged thrills in marathon or sprint mode, the choice is yours. It's just that you must remember to cover your dad's 100 grand pension fund in return, on the spot.
I'm just appalled to hear this. Unbelievable. I understand their reasoning, but the limits at which this is happening is just way too low. They need to increase the threshold. I cannot believe I have to run the risk of voiding my 100k car's warranty to properly enjoy it. I think this is nothing but advertising deception on GM's part.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:45 AM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Some of the most pathetic, overrated cars you will come across at a track day. No power, poor brakes, mediocre cornering, talk about ignorant comments.
Especially poor brakes. First thing changed by an M owner who tracks regularly. Most however simply tour the courses.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 AM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by rsalco
Especially poor brakes. First thing changed by an M owner who tracks regularly. Most however simply tour the courses.
This has actually been the case until the latest generation M3. The new generation M3 comes with the same size and quality brakes as a Z06. 15.5" front, 15.3" rear. 6 piston front, 4 piston rear. Pretty impressive if you ask me for a 4 door sedan. It also stops in exactly 99 ft, very close to Z06.

I am not comparing the two cars, they are not comparable, but BMW improved the brakes significantly in the latest generation. They probably heard your concerns
Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 AM
rsalco
Racer

Originally Posted by DerStig
I'm just appalled to hear this. Unbelievable. I understand their reasoning, but the limits at which this is happening is just way too low. They need to increase the threshold. I cannot believe I have to run the risk of voiding my 100k car's warranty to properly enjoy it. I think this is nothing but advertising deception on GM's part.
Give the car back.

Oh, that's right, you don't actually have one....
Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 AM
DerStig
Pro

Give the car back.

Oh, that's right, you don't actually have one....
Your point? Neither do 95% of this forum. So I guess we shouldn't post here, and the only 20-30 members who do have the car should be allowed to?

If I weren't serious about purchasing, I wouldn't be here.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:55 AM
rsalco
Racer

This has actually been the case until the latest generation M3. The new generation M3 comes with the same size and quality brakes as a Z06. 15.5" front, 15.3" rear. 6 piston front, 4 piston rear. Pretty impressive if you ask me for a 4 door sedan. It also stops in exactly 99 ft, very close to Z06.

I am not comparing the two cars, they are not comparable, but BMW improved the brakes significantly in the latest generation. They probably heard your concerns
Yes, for an extra $8100 you can get brakes now on your M3/M4. Roughly the price of the complete Z07 package.

Such a deal.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:58 AM
DerStig
Pro

Yes, for an extra $8100 you can get brakes now on your M3/M4. Roughly the price of the complete Z07 package.

Such a deal.
The standard brakes have the same stopping distance, have 4/2 pistons, same rotor sizes.

It's a huge improvement over the previous model, which was a single piston floating caliber. Come on, give credit where it's due.

I sold my M3, because I didn't like it and I had to make room for the Z06. Now I'm driving an M5. So I have no stake in fighting you, but you are being unfair.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:58 AM
rsalco
Racer

Your point? Neither do 95% of this forum. So I guess we shouldn't post here, and the only 20-30 members who do have the car should be allowed to?

If I weren't serious about purchasing, I wouldn't be here.
"...serious about purchasing..."
Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Quillen
The car has a ***** load of down force. It is designed for the road course track. Emphasis on handling not top speed
If all you care about is straight line. Take off all the spoilers and don't run the car in PTM modes or with rev match on . It kills way to much timing for too long on shifts.

Manuals do run 12.0 which is what all the magazine's tested. That wide first gear slows it down
How much is "a *****load" of down force? 100#? 200#? 300#? 400#? 500#?

Show me where GM has stated actual down force numbers and not vague statements about the Z06's down force.

At least Chrysler tell us that the Viper T/A has 300# of down force at 150 MPH.

How about a published number from GM on the Z06's coefficient of drag? At least Chrysler tells us the Viper SRT has a coefficient of drag of .369.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 AM
DerStig
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
How much is "a *****load" of down force? 100#? 200#? 300#? 400#? 500#?

Show me where GM has stated actual down force numbers and not vague statements about the Z06's down force.

At least Chrysler tell us that the Viper T/A has 300# of down force at 150 MPH.

How about a published number from GM on the Z06's coefficient of drag? At least Chrysler tells us the Viper SRT has a coefficient of drag of .369.
There was a post here actually that said new Z06 has 500 lbs of downforce at 150mph. That is more than any car below 300-400k including all Ferrari and Lambo models and obviously Porsche.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:26 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Does GM even know how long their powertrain is? I thought it was for 5 years, not 10 years. That's a huge difference, especially for us Corvette owners that don't put 20,000 miles per year on their car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-09-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C&D comparison data: C6Z & C7Z

Old 12-09-2014, 09:27 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

There was a post here actually that said new Z06 has 500 lbs of downforce at 150mph. That is more than any car below 300-400k including all Ferrari and Lambo models and obviously Porsche.
Link to where that number is published by GM......
Old 12-09-2014, 11:37 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Wolf
Check it out-

From:------ http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...tup-89790.html -------

-----------2015 Corvette Z06 Owners Report Heat Soak Power Loss, It’s Actually a Conservative ECU Setup-------

Now that the 2016 Corvette Z06 has hit the streets, sucking our air through its blower, a few owners have complained about experiencing a power loss after back to back runs on the highway or multiple laps on the track. They rushed to point the heat soak finger at the LT4 motor in the Z06, but this doesn’t seem to be the culprit here.

Sure, as the Z06 uses a top-mounted charging hardware, you could expect it to be prone to heat soak issues. When this issue usually appears, after a few consecutive full throttle runs, the heat builds up in the engine compartment, resulting in the a temperature increase for the air charge. This dramatically reduces supercharging efficiency as hot air has reduced oxygen molecule density, allowing for less fuel to be burned.

Moreover, hot intake air charge also increases the risk of detonation. The computer measures the intake air temperature both before and after the charge and when the latter is too high, it starts pulling timing to protect the engine.

However, like we said, this isn’t an issue with the LT4 supercharged V8 in the 2015 Z06, or at least that’s what the tuning scene is reporting.

Aftermarket world explains this is all a conservative ECU setup

Remember Vengeance Racing, the aftermarket developer that did a 1-minute burnout straight out of the showroom when picking up their Z06 last week? The crew started playing with the supercar and obviously came across the same problem.

So far, the guys only did repeated runs on the dyno, where they recorded a rather impressive 20-degree difference between the two aforementioned intake air temperatures. They also performed highway runs, but so far they’ve had 5 to 7 minute breaks between runs to analyze the resulting data and make changes to the ECU. They promissed to take their Z06 out again this week and perform back to back runs, so we’ll have that information soon.

Once again, as Vengeance Racing explains, there doesn’t appear to be any heat soak issue - such a problem wouldn’t make sense anyway, not after all the testing the Z06 has been through and after GM hit the jackpot with just-as-supercharged ZR1 in the past.

In a post on Corvette Forum, the tuner explains the issue lies with the ECU - “With the OE calibration we did experience the same thing... The timing tables are EXTREMELY conservative and the ECU will pull timing for almost any situation. I am waiting for owners to complain about "tip in" as the ECU pulls a massive amount of timing when slightly touching the gas pedal”

We know it sounds convenient for a tuner to say this, but the company claims “most of the loss of power can be addressed in the ECU.” Of course, this may just solve the problem reported by multiple owners, but it will also void the powertrain warranty, not exactly something you want on a $100,000 car, unless you were going to modify it in the first place.

Besides, many now ask themselves what happens once you remove those ECU boundaries. the only problem here is that certain people behave completely different once they’ve modded their car and subsequently complain about reliability issues - such problems would’ve appeared even without the tune, simply due to the change in the driving style.

The LT4 appears to have plenty of unlocked potential

Since the customizer claims the post-intercooler intake air temp is impressive, nobody is quite sure why GM engineers came up with such a conservative ECU tune, with emission regulations being the most plausible reason.

For the record, Vengeance Racing’s 2015 Corvette Z06, a manual, showed 585 hp and 611 lb-ft (828 Nm) of torque at the wheels in stock condition, which are very good values. The LT4 has already proven to be a very capable engine, since the tuner has achieved a hefty output bump with less-than-serious mods. To be more specific, the V8 was taken to 660 RWHP and 663 RWTQ (899 Nm) using only a cold air intake, a smaller upper pulley and, of course, an ECU remap.

We’ve contacted GM to ask them about the reason behind the shy ECU setup and we’ll be back with an update as soon as we have an answer.
2016 has hit the street! HAHA! GM put them up to it!
Yeah right Aftermarket world they should know and everyone should tune there new car too!
You can pulley down a ZR1 too! More power more heat!
Old 12-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Callsign_Vega
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
And people think the C7 Z06 is going to run low-11's or barely squeak into the 10's. LMFAO.
The A8 cars are going to run solid mid-10's at over 130 mph.
Except in cooler weather, the stock GENV Viper versus Z06 video clearly showed the Viper walking away from the Z06. This is not commensurate with a 1/4 mile time nor speed you are hinting at. I also think A8 drivers are going to be disappointed doing highway roll racing.

Yes, the Z07 stage 3 aero package. That makes up what, single digit Z06 sales? The video tested against the viper had the Z06 with stage 1 aero, IE: actually less drag than the Viper. The Viper still won handily.

Quick Reply: C&D comparison data: C6Z & C7Z