C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Pobst and MT liked it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:08 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
You can't compare full race car times to a street car. I know both of those guys and race with them. Those cars, like mine, are gutted full race cars down to about 3100 lbs with driver and full aero. More importantly they're on full race tires, which make a MASSIVE difference. The C7Z < 1:30 time is amazing on street tires. Especially in a car I could daily and drive across country whenever I wanted. It's very disappointing that this thing seems to be good only for a few hard laps before it gets hot.
The TTS and ST2 records at Road Atlanta were set in a car that made 380 whp and was 3350lbs at the time . In 2011 , it was still the old rules and pwr/wt was 8.7:1. Yes the car was a race car, but had a STOCK LS6 in it at the time and was run quite heavy...in GOOD air, just like all of these C7Z times. The lesser car records make the new car not seem so fast, although I haven't sampled one yet in rage. Modern day 200+ treadwear tires are not ~quite~ as good as our DOT race tires, but I can tell you they do not suck from experience. New car OEM tires are far-far superior to tires on previous models
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
But!

This is a great sign: Its 22.5-second lap on the figure eight is the second-fastest production car we've tested behind the Porsche 918's 22.2 seconds; the Z06's 1.16 average lateral g is the highest we've seen from anything that wasn't a race car.

A heavy freaking RWD car doing this stuff!!!

It makes sense because tires are the only thing keeping you on the road and tires are getting better all the time!
love my new SS rubber on my ZR1!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:36 PM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Isn't all this old news?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I personally would not drive a sports car as a street car. None of them. if other people want to they are more than welcome. It's not for me.

What I do enjoy is driving cars at the track. When you get your C7Z06 come see us and have some fun. I drive with Riesentoter PCA and we are at some Tracks in the Northeast next season. You can find the events on motorsportreg.com. I am looking forward to seeing some C7Z06's on the track. If you or anyone would like to run with us we put on fun events with quite a few Corvettes. Come up and say hello in person. I can be found at the tech line in the mornings.

Steve W. Hoagland
Hmm most people buy Corvette's to drive. Only a small number ever get on a track. If thats your bag have it. Any track is the Biggest waste of time and money out there. IMO I don't drive much in heavy traffic either I drive during periods of light traffic. Certain times I plan not to drive. Works great! I choose 1 of 7 vehicles when I drive. Poor weather I take my 4 wheel drive. It care's less about about any potholes or other cars.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:07 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I have to say, there are not stock cars on stock tires anywhere that will outrun cars built to NASA ST/TT U,1 and 2 rules and driven properly, which is basically an open class with weight/power constraints. And on A6's...... That pretty much makes it a moot point. As such being competitive cars, it's even moreso not a valid comparison without equal tires.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Hmm most people buy Corvette's to drive. Only a small number ever get on a track. If thats your bag have it. Any track is the Biggest waste of time and money out there. IMO I don't drive much in heavy traffic either I drive during periods of light traffic. Certain times I plan not to drive. Works great! I choose 1 of 7 vehicles when I drive. Poor weather I take my 4 wheel drive. It care's less about about any potholes or other cars.

I think if you went to an event you would find it to be a lot of fun. If you have and your experience has been otherwise it's too bad. Corvette's work really well on the track and my Wife really enjoys her track prepped C6Z. I expect once these new C7Z's get sorted and setup they will work great as well.

I like my truck too for the same reasons as you do. Too much bad stuff happens to cars on the street. Like DEER hits. Hate that.

Quick Reply: Pobst and MT liked it!