C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What's your cutoff (aka dignity) date?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:03 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default What's your cutoff (aka dignity) date?

For those of you who are in line within your dealer's allocation but will not compromise on two things: A8 and Z07 ... assuming a maximum 2 month time frame between order acceptance and delivery, what is your cutoff date past which you'd rather wait for a 2016 instead of a 2015?

Knowing that's it isn't within my dealer's control, I have informed them (again assuming a two month spacing tween acceptance and keys in hand) that I will not accept their allocation any date past Oct. 31st 2014 despite the fact that I put myself in line and have been waiting since Feb. 2014.

This is just me and my reasoning, but I simply refuse to pay for a model year at msrp during that current model year. It's just my arbitrary personal threshold, but it means that unless I get a 15 in the 14 calendar year I'm happier waiting a few more months for a 16.

Aaaaanhoot, having noted my personal preference I was just curious as to what everyone else's threshold is that divides their desire vs their reason. (Of course reason should dictate that no company should release a vehicle unless it was available immediately in all its variations but that's for another thread.)

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:12 PM
tomhanaway
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I set mine up as part of my order. Delivery by end of February, 2015 or roll over til 2016 model.
A8 and vert.
Completely arbitrary. My reasoning was that it would "mentally" feel like a not new car as soon as the next years model came out. I like to preserve that feeling as long as possible.

Plus, maybe they'll have the ceramic brakes as a z06 option in 2016.

Originally Posted by soulsea
For those of you who are in line within your dealer's allocation but will not compromise on two things: A8 and Z07 ... assuming a maximum 2 month time frame between order acceptance and delivery, what is your cutoff date past which you'd rather wait for a 2016 instead of a 2015?

Knowing that's it isn't within my dealer's control, I have informed them (again assuming a two month spacing tween acceptance and keys in hand) that I will not accept their allocation any date past Oct. 31st 2014 despite the fact that I put myself in line and have been waiting since Feb. 2014.

This is just me and my reasoning, but I simply refuse to pay for a model year at msrp during that current model year. It's just my arbitrary personal threshold, but it means that unless I get a 15 in the 14 calendar year I'm happier waiting a few more months for a 16.

Aaaaanhoot, having noted my personal preference I was just curious as to what everyone else's threshold is that divides their desire vs their reason. (Of course reason should dictate that no company should release a vehicle unless it was available immediately in all its variations but that's for another thread.)

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the first allocation at a small dealer, so I'm probably ok, but if I were the marketing guy in charge of Corvette, I would have held the Z06 starting date until Feb 1 2015 and made it a 2016 early introduction to avoid this exact situation.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you who are in line within your dealer's allocation ... assuming a maximum 2 month time frame between order acceptance and delivery, what is your cutoff date past which you'd rather wait for a 2016 instead of a 2015?...I will not accept their allocation any date past Oct. 31st 2014 despite the fact that I put myself in line and have been waiting since Feb. 2014.
Interesting. I lease a Jeep GC as my DD and I change out on Nov 1 for just this reason. But I really didn't think about this for my Z06. It's such a special car that -- for me at least -- doesn't fit into a normal car mold. Probably because my plan is to keep it for many years.

As Gene said in another thread about waiting,
Originally Posted by phantasms
It's almost never better to wait for anything.
I think he's right. This car is hard enough to get that I will take it when I can get it.

I don't want to die waiting for the next best thing. Carpe diem.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:51 AM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Cheers!
To me this seems a bit knee jerk. If you choose to wait for a 16 you will not have a Z until late August at the absolute earliest. That coupled with the real possibility that the only significant change for the 2016 MY will be a price increase. Ask me or others how not pulling the trigger on a 2006 Z06 and waiting for a 2007 Z06 worked out. I could understand your point if by February your order had not yet been accepted, but October IMO is a bit too early to cut bait

Hope you (and I) get picked up soon. I am only ordering a lowly 7 speed non Z07.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I'll take mine when I can get it as well. I plan to keep it for a long time so model year isn't a big issue. My dd is a 2005 Ford Excursion and I still plan to keep it for a while. I'd rather get a 15 in June than a 16 in November because I will be using it in good weather and spring and fall are my favorite times to drive.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 AM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Very interesting thought pattern. I will wait as long as it takes for a couple of reasons. Initially and most important the weather up north in Pa gets pretty crappy Dec-March even into april with the road treatment. Second, I want what I want and will not alter my desires or plans even if it takes a few extra months. If it is 2015 and the car is a 2015 model it's still new and has that new car feel and smell this will also not be my daily driver. Maybe if it is real late then I can negotiate a better price. BTW will the 2016 be any faster or look any different?

Last edited by jklein7; 09-30-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:00 AM
jklein7
Pro

Cheers!
Did you order the A8 vert?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 AM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by jklein7
Did you order the A8 vert?
No, just the A8/Z07 coupe.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:14 AM
jklein7
Pro

I ordered the A8 and we are going to have that 1-2 month wait. Whats' your weather like in Dec-March? The way I figure it we won't go to 3000 until Nov. if production takes 6 weeks that will put us in Dec slot for delivery. I have weather considerations. I'm impatient however this is one great car. BTW I thought you were switching to Manual?
Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter Weather

Winter weather is an issue for me as well. I ordered an A8 Vert and honestly don't want it until April at the earliest. Other than the occasional sunny weekend day when the salt has been washed from the roads, I won't drive it in the winter. More likely, I would store it away from home.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:01 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default It's just a "car", hopefully a Bad A$$ one.

You bought it and should enjoy it whenever "you" want. Rain, road dirt, salt, bird crap, etc. It will come off. That's why you wash and wax.

I always buy a car to keep for a while, some more so than others. "If" I get the (A8) Z06 it should be a keeeeeepeeeer.

I have found that the cars I have enjoyed/remembered the most were the ones that I "drove" and not worried about every little thing.

For me it's going to be; Dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead. You could go any moment they say, so have some fun while your waiting.

9 SECOND STREET V6

WITH HOOD STRIPE = http://cgi.chevrolet.com/mmgprod-us/...1&send404=true

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 09-30-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:42 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I am at 3000 status, first out of the gates, I should have the car in Nov Dec. Would rather have it in Feb/15. The demand and allocations is a problem if you don't have patients but in the end unless you are building your own you don't have many options but to wait. I thought I read the A8 trans is being held since they had to modify the cooling features because of overheating issues. The other problem GM rushed the Z06 to market because of the Race car, in the end they been saying no cars will hit the streets till early 2015.

You are lucky your not waiting on the new Acura NSX, that process been at a snail pace and my friend been on a list since 2012..

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-30-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Dealers should be more than happy to write a Z06 order with a cutoff date. If you don't take it they end up with a hot new model in stock to sell at a bigger profit.

By the time they get you get next years' model the demand is likely to have eased a bit.

Last edited by ZL-1; 09-30-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:02 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Dealers should be more than happy to write a Z06 order with a cutoff date. If you don't take it they end up with a hot new model in stock to sell at a bigger profit.
That's fine, more power to them and to the person that would get my allocation. My decision is purely personal based on my own reasoning and priorities, who may or may not benefit as a result doesn't enter into my equation.

I don't mind waiting for something I want, what I do mind is this open ended proposition where I need to hear from my dealer every Thursday as to whether or not GM has the parts and/or ability to build my car. If they said to me your car will be ready March 14th that would be fine by me and I can make a decision on that premise.

But no one knows, and we have to go through weekly groundhog allocation day, and even when that magical day comes then having to win the subsequent Monday raffle to see if GM has deigned to accept our orders. The only recourse I have and control I can exert in the effort to not be subjected to this frustration loop is for me to create my own arbitrary deadline past which there problem goes away ... and then I will rethink it next year, if I haven't bought something else instead. I'm just really trying to find the most sound reasons upon which to set this arbitrary date, so I was curious if anyone else has had this thought process.

I'm actually not upset about it, I'm just trying to apply a degree of reasoning to an unreasonable situation.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:04 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Same here, I'm number 21

Last edited by BeaZt; 10-02-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Rroy2
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion is yo get the 2015 if you plan on keeping it. The first model production year in a vert will be worth more than the 2016 in about 25 years.

Get notified of new replies

To What's your cutoff (aka dignity) date?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:22 AM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a few ways Id look at it. If you end up having to wait and get the 2016 my, kinks from the new engine and if applicable, the a8 as well as other new parts would be ironed out of there turns out to be a problem. Idk how contracts are for allocations but with how we saw the stingrays price increase because of demand, I'd think there's a fair chance it's possible the z06 could have price increases as well. Having the z come out between the normal model year debut would mean the car would only be 'new' in name as relative to the model year for about 1/2 a year.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:34 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

So I've been giving this a lot of thought and it turns out my 'cutoff' date might be even sooner than I originally thought.

Besides the somewhat annoying open ended proposition of waiting for GM to pick up my order, I have been mulling over several other factors:

1. It doesn't sit right with me to buy a vehicle that I have never seen in person inside or out, never mind driven.

2. Speaking of driving one ... I really need to test drive the A8 before completely ruling it out.

3. Even being no 2 on my dealer's list it still looks like it's going to be several months before GM is able to build the exact Z06/07 I want without constraints.

4. Some hesitancy in 'guinea pigging' such a technologically advanced machine. If buying the first iteration of any vehicle comes with risk, this risk is surely increased on the Z06.

These factors are by no means an epiphany, I think they were always a concern that were manifesting as frustration with the order process rather than being considered head on. I deduce this because usually waiting for stuff isn't that bothersome to me.

So this is what is likely to happen ... my dealer just got a new 15 Z/28 in today. I'm probably going to buy it tomorrow and have a blast with it on the road and a few times on the track over the next few months. He's agreed to keep my spot flexible for whenever I'm ready to trade it in for a Z06, which means that a couple of months before I'm ready to get the Z06 I'll slide in that order spot.

This is obviously not the cheapest way to go about it, and I'm going to sleep on it tonight to make sure it's what I want to do, but it feels right to me. It will give me the time to see the Z06 in person in many colors, aero packages, and interiors. It will allow me to drive one and make an informed decision about which transmission I prefer, and it will allow me to buy it when I am ready as opposed to feeling like I'm being stringed along by the circumstances ... all this whilst I'll be driving a fun car.

I think what I was lacking most of all in this process was the confidence to make the right configuration choices with so little information available ... no member ownership feedback, no reviews or articles, no reliability data, and no idea even when I would be getting it.

So the plan is to still get a Z06 in a few months ... hopefully this approach enables me to get the right one for me. And it frees up at least one order spot for those in line behind me.

There's a part of me that really would love to be one of the first to have a Z06/07 on the road, but that part is somewhat shallow, so I'll do my best to not sob uncontrollably when one pulls up next to me at a light.

Last edited by soulsea; 10-05-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:10 AM
dyeggy
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12, '14-'17,'21

I emailed my dealer a month ago to ask to get on his list. He said sure...you're on the list for a 2016. Fine with me. Still love driving my GS vert. My Z06 will be an A8 3LZ vert in night race blue.

Quick Reply: What's your cutoff (aka dignity) date?