C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Will Corvette Become a Seperate Business Unit Too?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Default Will Corvette Become a Seperate Business Unit Too?

Today it was announced GM will make Cadillac a separate business unit and move its HQ to New York.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...unit/16093343/

A few years ago GM's Board discussed separating Corvette into in its own brand with many different models.
Would this be a good thing now?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Today it was announced GM will make Cadillac a separate business unit and move its HQ to New York.

A few years ago GM's Board discussed separating Corvette into in its own brand with many different models.
YES, and YES....

Sorry guys but dragging Chevrolet with the name of Corvette is like insisting on Ferrari beeing a Fiat ...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:21 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem

I wouldn't bet on it.
That move seems unique to Cadillac which is struggling to compete for luxury cars sales and more likely has more to do with a new executive who wants to live in NYC as opposed to Detroit.

Corvette doesn't have sales issues or a new product manager seeking a more clamorous home. We're in a period of consolidation with Pontiac, Mercury, Plymouth, etc. going away. I don't see GM reversing that trend to launch new brands.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Very doubtful because Corvette benefits from the GM in terms of budget, research, & development.

GM absorbs a lot of overhead (facilities, labor, wind tunnel, paints, design teams, etc.,etc.) costs that would stifle Corvette's budget for development.

Likewise Corvette performance innovations are shared with GM.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
YES, and YES....

Sorry guys but dragging Chevrolet with the name of Corvette is like insisting on Ferrari beeing a Fiat ...
Ummm...you just won foolish statement of the year award. Got a good chuckle out of that one.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM
RoketRdr
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Cadillac does the majority of R&D engineering behind GM high performance. With its loss of sales GM cant afford for Cadillac to tank while being neck deep in GM's up and coming performance projects. They are doing this for the exact same reason Dodge separated SRT and for good reason.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

IIRC, this was the point the proponents of the split made to the Board.

Originally Posted by dwward
I wouldn't bet on it.
That move seems unique to Cadillac which is struggling to compete for luxury cars sales.
It's really a damn shame.
Modern Cadillacs regularly have better reviews in the mags than their competitors.

I have had several (at the moment, a 2012 CTS-V Coupe) the last 15 years and have always been more than satisfied.

We're in a period of consolidation with Pontiac, Mercury, Plymouth, etc. going away. I don't see GM reversing that trend to launch new brands.
Probably so....
Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

YES, and YES....

Maybe Chevrolet looks at it a little differently. Like the Corvette name adds a little credence to the Chevrolet name. Besides, Corvettes will always be Chevy's.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Large corporations don't move entire businesses to suit where one executive wants to live. Turnover in those types of positions is too prevalent for operations to be moving around a lot. Although, I can't imagine that many exec's would want to move to the Detroit area. Housing is cheap, but that is about it. I think it may be more of a case that being centralized in Detroit is no longer as necessary as it was 100 years ago.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me if Corvette is separated, but in truth, I don't know enough about what the real upside is to doing so.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:57 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Why did Cadillac move HQ to NYC

The NYTs had an interesting article on the Cadillac move to NYC with a lot of quotes from Johan de Nysschen, the new head of Cadillac. It appears the HQ move to NYC was a precondition of de Nysschen taking the job. Before coming to Cadillac he headed Infiniti and moved their HQ to Hong Kong to separate it from Nissan.

When we hear an HQ is moving is often sounds bigger than it is. In this case, only a total of 100 people are actually relocating to NYC -- Suits and their support staff. For a company the size of GM, 100 people relocating is insignificant. Much of what is Cadillac will remain in Detroit.

This all seems unique to the Cady brand and really doesn't seem to have anything to do with Corvette.

A link and a PDF.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/bu...york.html?_r=0
Old 10-01-2014, 02:13 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Corbettes and Chebys go hand in hand.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

They all used to separate business units. Chevy, Buick and Caddy were all separate from each other although they shared a lot of components. Each had their own engine designs. Moving Caddy executives to NY City basically gets them out of the way.

Bill
Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Put Corvette under the Cadillac brand.

Give us a dealership that understands the high priced buyer.

USAF
Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM
racezx9
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it would serve corvette as a brand better. Take the highest serving corvette dealers and have them separate the brand out and create a better buying experience. A friend of mine and I went into a Chevy dealer in his Ferrari F430 and he wanted to check out teh new stingray and I was checking on my Z06 and the experience left him speechless on how bad the salesman and the GM was.They straight out lied to us both in within 10 minutes. First it was they would sell the Z06 they have coming in at MSRP, ten minutes later it was 10 grand over list and they wouldn't let him test drive a stingray. When we can go down teh street and test drive a Lambo or a a Aston....he just chuckled and we left....that will be teh death of Corvette, due to some of these dealers out there.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:49 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DangerousDuramax
They are doing this for the exact same reason Dodge separated SRT and for good reason.
FYI the SRT separation was a failure and they have since but it back under the Dodge brand.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Could happen. Take a look at your C7 and how many times do you see Chevrolet on the car? The only place I see it is in the Corvette flag where the bow tie emblem is. Nowhere else.

Another thing, and perhaps it is unique to my dealer, but they have a separate Corvette Service Manager and only 1 technician who works on the cars. He is exclusive to Corvette service.

Creating a Corvette Brand could allow for slightly higher prices. Not SRT Viper high, but a few thousand more.

Just saying...
Old 10-01-2014, 05:37 PM
ravill
Pro

Originally Posted by USAF

USAF
This.

My local chevy dealership, Broadway (a sponsor here) recently went to an appointment only system and the ONE guy at the counter has NO idea about cars. He actually asked me if my corvette had a V8.

What a kick in the 8ball.

Very sad turn of events at my dealership. It makes me question about buying that new Z06 sometimes.

Get notified of new replies

To Will Corvette Become a Seperate Business Unit Too?

Old 10-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

USAF

I would love to see that.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

USAF
I totally agree!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:20 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd love for Corvette to be its own brand. Come out with different models like Porsche.

Quick Reply: Will Corvette Become a Seperate Business Unit Too?