C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Competition seats for big guys???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:26 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Competition seats for big guys???

I've read a few reviews on the comp seats from guys of "average" size but I'm a little larger than average size. Has anyone that is a little larger than normal had a chance to sit in a comp seat? I'm 6'2" and about 240lbs and am worried that I might not fit very well in the comp seat. Height wise I'm sure I will be fine, but I'm worried about shoulder room. I don't plan on tracking the car but I really prefer the look of the comp seats over the GT seats. Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cannot go by what others say...example : let's take two guys who have identical height/ weight/chest / shoulder / waist measurements BUT their torsos vary by two inches in length . One guy may feel fine but the other guy is pinched by the seat back bolster and cannot get his back anywhere near the seat .
Old 09-21-2014, 12:40 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless you actually find a C7 with the Comp seats to sit in it's hard to say if you will be comfortable. I have the GT seats in my C7 and I like them but I ordered the Comp seats
In my Z06 because it's a Z07 and I like the looks of the Comp seats and its not a DD. So I won't know how they fit until I take delivery.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:05 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The Comp Seats are designed for people who want to track their cars. If you aren't going to do that then why spend the money for something that you have no use for? They really don't add anything to the car from a decoration standpoint.

Bill
Old 09-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Z06
Instructor

Would definitely recommend giving them a try before ordering. Sat in them at the NCM event. Too dang tight for me. Plus the C7 has less seat travel than the C6.

On another point the bolstering is larger than my old E46 M3 and the leather on the bolstering definitely wore where you slid in and out. I would wonder how these seats will hold up.

Kudos to GM for offering them for those who do track their cars (as well as to shut up overly pious magazine writers).
Old 09-21-2014, 08:22 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

I waited to the last minute to order my Z06 because I could not decide on the seats. I am 5'11 190 with an athletic build. I went to Corvette World in Dallas since they had both seats in multiple cars so I can test them out. I wanted the comp seats and told myself my next C7 I am defiantly getting them on my Z06. Unfortunately after many hours going back and forth (GT to Comp) I decided to go with the GT seats. I even thought of upgrading to a 2LZ Z06 with comp seats to avoid the micro fiber center inserts since on a 1LZ its mandatory with the comp seats. IMO if you back is slender from your shoulder to your mid waist you could be good. My issue is my lateral muscles are to wide and the extended side bolsters dig in under my arms. Do a local dealer search and find a C7 with comp seats. I do agree with others you will need to test them out before you will know, good luck.

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-21-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 AM
RJ-92
Race Director

Received 328 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
I waited to the last minute to order my Z06 because I could not decide on the seats. I am 5'11 190 with an athletic build. I went to Corvette World in Dallas since they had both seats in multiple cars so I can test them out. I wanted the comp seats and told myself my next C7 I am defiantly getting them on my Z06. Unfortunately after many hours going back and forth (GT to Comp) I decided to go with the GT seats. I even thought of upgrading to a 2LZ Z06 with comp seats to avoid the micro fiber center inserts since on a 1LZ its mandatory with the comp seats. IMO if you back is slender from your shoulder to your mid waist you could be good. My issue is my lateral muscles are to wide and the extended side bolsters dig in under my arms. Do a local dealer search and find a C7 with comp seats. I do agree with others you will need to test them out before you will know, good luck.
I agree with this. I have the exact same issue @ 5' 9" 175lbs. I'm not super jacked, but I'm in decent shape and happen to have really wide shoulders. There are some seats I can't even fit into and even many standard Vette seats are quite snug.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 787 Posts

IMO if you back is slender from your shoulder to your mid waist you could be good. My issue is my lateral muscles are to wide and the extended side bolsters dig in under my arms.
6' tall, 175 pounds, athletic build and my main comfort problem with the seats is exactly as described above. I would advise anyone to try these seats before you buy. I'm still undecided.....I like the comp seat, and I can almost convince myself that they're not "that" uncomfortable, but then when I sit in the regular GT seats, it's like...ahhh, comfort!

Last edited by RedLS6; 09-21-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

I was going with the the comp seast....but at 5'11" 200 pounds, with a bodybuilder physique, those seats would be a challenge for my wider than average lats and shoulders it seems. Thanks for the insight.

Order changed.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:40 AM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by c6bound
I've read a few reviews on the comp seats from guys of "average" size but I'm a little larger than average size. Has anyone that is a little larger than normal had a chance to sit in a comp seat? I'm 6'2" and about 240lbs and am worried that I might not fit very well in the comp seat. Height wise I'm sure I will be fine, but I'm worried about shoulder room. I don't plan on tracking the car but I really prefer the look of the comp seats over the GT seats. Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Are you getting the Comp seats?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

For those who have experienced both, my question is this:
Which seat will be better for someone with a bad back?
I need great butt cushioning and lumbar support.....
Old 09-22-2014, 10:11 AM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

GT seat all the way if you are not tracking the car. Why lose the comfort?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 373 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
For those who have experienced both, my question is this:
Which seat will be better for someone with a bad back?
I need great butt cushioning and lumbar support.....
I, too, was convinced that the Comp seats would be mandatory for the Z06 if, for no other reason, they look great. BUT after going back and forth between the two at the NCM I finally admitted to myself that the GT seats are a better overall choice for me. The comp seats are not uncomfortable by any means but you are aware that they are snug (6'4" 185). The GT seats are noticeably more comfortable but what really sold me was how snug you can pull in the side bolsters which was the best of both worlds.
But by all means go and sit in both cause it's the only way to see what works for you.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:38 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

My order is for the comp seats but I'm trying to get it changed to GT seats. I found a local stingray with the comp seats and they are too snug for my comfort.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by ibleedgreen
GT seat all the way if you are not tracking the car. Why lose the comfort?
I won't be tracking the car much, if at all.

I have a 2012 CTS-V coupe with the standard seats and they are very good on my back.

Recaros are offered as a option.
I sat in a V that had them and they were like sitting on a concrete park bench.
I knew immediately I wouldn't be able to live with 'em.

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
I, too, was convinced that the Comp seats would be mandatory for the Z06 if, for no other reason, they look great. BUT after going back and forth between the two at the NCM I finally admitted to myself that the GT seats are a better overall choice for me. The comp seats are not uncomfortable by any means but you are aware that they are snug (6'4" 185). The GT seats are noticeably more comfortable but what really sold me was how snug you can pull in the side bolsters which was the best of both worlds.
But by all means go and sit in both cause it's the only way to see what works for you.
Thanx for the info....
I'll take your advice.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm 6' and 240, with 50 inch shoulders. I am comfortable in my GT seats, but had a chance to drive a car fitted with the competition seats at Spring Mountain last week. THey are a bit more snug, but not uncomfortable. If you are not going to track the car I would opt for the base seats, as they support very well.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM
PREDATR
Drifting

Originally Posted by SLWRNU
100% I placed my order last Friday and sat/evaluated both. I originally wanted the comp seats for the "cool factor" but decided to check out the GT to make sure. Night and day difference. The Comp seats are little stiffer and the side bolsters too confining for a DD. The GT where way better and the adjustable bolster is the best of both worlds. I am 6'2 160lbs (wet ) and if I can't be comfortable not many of you will be I suspect.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Competition seats for big guys???

Quick Reply: Competition seats for big guys???