C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z07 package on a 'Vert, opinions for/against please

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:31 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by dlparsons
Thanks for the link. I didn't read that post originally since I don't use my car as a DD. But there was a lot of helpful info in there.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, well thanks to all of the people who, without benefit of having one, opined that it makes no sense to get a Z06 convertible with a Z07 package.

I'm doing it anyway. Oh, btw, I'll be in the market for a roll bar for it, along with racing harnesses to complement the competition sport seats.

I also have a roll bar & racing harnesses in one of my C6 convertibles.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:28 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vettes
Yeah, well thanks to all of the people who, without benefit of having one, opined that it makes no sense to get a Z06 convertible with a Z07 package.

I'm doing it anyway. Oh, btw, I'll be in the market for a roll bar for it, along with racing harnesses to complement the competition sport seats.

I also have a roll bar & racing harnesses in one of my C6 convertibles.
do you have a roll cage or bolt in roll bar? big difference. real track dedicated cars have roll cages. you already have to add a roll bar to a z07 vert so as sold its not track ready. at the speed the z06 is capable of do you think a bolt in roll bar is going to save your *** if something happens at speed? the z07 looks totally bad-assed but to say its a track car makes me laugh. so i will stick by my statement that a z07 vert makes zero sense , except for the look factor and man it looks great !!! my .02 and not even worth that
Old 09-11-2014, 01:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I know the OP asked about a 'vert, but I am buying a coupe and have recently sort of reached the same dilemma.
As Glenn Quagmire stated, I don't 'think' the ride is going to be punishing, objectionable or unbearable. But honestly, already having a track car, it's very doubtful my Z06 will be on-track any more frequently than very occasionally. For me, there's not a lot of sense in prepping two cars for the track, and since IMO that non-Z07 cars will offer probably 95+ percent of the performance of the Z07, I'm starting to lean to a base Z06, 2LZ, A8 with a few nice options on it. It may NOT even have the CFZ/CFV aero on it.
My only regret with this path would be not getting CCB's.
S.
Interesting post in the C6 Z06 section about tracking CCB's.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-for-ccm.html
Old 09-11-2014, 02:04 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RFZ
do you have a roll cage or bolt in roll bar? big difference. real track dedicated cars have roll cages. you already have to add a roll bar to a z07 vert so as sold its not track ready. at the speed the z06 is capable of do you think a bolt in roll bar is going to save your *** if something happens at speed? the z07 looks totally bad-assed but to say its a track car makes me laugh. so i will stick by my statement that a z07 vert makes zero sense , except for the look factor and man it looks great !!! my .02 and not even worth that
Just have a bolt in roll bar now. It doesn't matter to me if I ever track the new one; I'm still going to love it with all of the goodies. Wife said to go for it as you only live once. Hey, it's not going to have 8 speed auto, so does that make any sense either? I'm still going to have loads of fun, along with my Lingenfelter '05 vert and '13 427 vert.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:22 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vettes
Just have a bolt in roll bar now. It doesn't matter to me if I ever track the new one; I'm still going to love it with all of the goodies. Wife said to go for it as you only live once. Hey, it's not going to have 8 speed auto, so does that make any sense either? I'm still going to have loads of fun, along with my Lingenfelter '05 vert and '13 427 vert.
and that my friend is all that really matters!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 PM
Bueller
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New here.... Not been a track driver but I am finalizing my 2016 Z06 3LZ order . (selling the 95 RT10 to have more everyday driving with performance). May also like to join some amateur track/road clubs in the future.

I've add the carbon fiber ground effects package.

I can add the CCB package (to the non Z07) for about $6900 in cost. I plan on enjoying the car for years to come and may light track a few times per year.

Would I be stupid not to add the CCB package now? Seems like a good entry point price for me. Or should I just add them after market later if I get more serious.

Thoughts? Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I've never been influenced by others "expert" opinions. And I couldn't care any less of what anybody thinks of this......

Z07 optioned convertible. It's not a daily driver and will never see track time as long as I own it. So what?....... It didn't break the bank and I wanted it.......
The following users liked this post:
Rd16rr (01-07-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Bueller
New here.... Not been a track driver but I am finalizing my 2016 Z06 3LZ order . (selling the 95 RT10 to have more everyday driving with performance). May also like to join some amateur track/road clubs in the future.

I can add the CCB package (to the non Z07) for about $6900 in cost. I plan on enjoying the car for years to come and may light track a few times per year.

Would I be stupid not to add the CCB package now? Seems like a good entry point price for me. Or should I just add them after market later if I get more serious.

Thoughts? Thanks
If you are talking about trying to do this with a Vert then realize most track groups will not allow a Vert to run at speed without a rollbar. Rollbars aren't easy to install in a Vert. A coupe is a better choice.

As for the CCM package that may or may not be an advantage when you take the car to the track. Some people have issues with those brakes and think they are not quite as track capable as others think. There are better choices available so going with a non Z07 optioned car and adding an aftermarket brake package like the Essex Package may be a better way to go from a track stand point.

I decided to go with the Z07 package and hope that it doesn't turn out to be a bad idea from a brake standpoint.

Bill
Old 01-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
I've never been influenced by others "expert" opinions. And I couldn't care any less of what anybody thinks of this......

Z07 optioned convertible. It's not a daily driver and will never see track time as long as I own it. So what?....... It didn't break the bank and I wanted it.......
You have a very awesome vert! Why not if you can afford it. Your vert stands out from most, and owning a Corvette is all about mods and making it unique/yours. There are many modded & very expensive Corvettes out there, and yours is 100% warrantied, and unique.

I opted for the comp seats, despite some saying it was not practical, since I had no intention of tracking my car (though I might try it a couple of times), but they are my favorite option, very comfortable and the best seats of any car I've ever owned!

Enjoy, that awesome vert!

Last edited by Kingspoke; 01-03-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Jus Cruisin (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 01:17 AM
Lrn2Swm
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Name:  sf.jpeg
Views: 496
Size:  67.8 KB

Not only is it a fully loaded Z06/7, but it is now a Callaway SC 757.

I drove her from Miami to San Fran and enjoyed every second. With Tour mode it does not feel stiff at all and Sport mode is not so bad either.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

Oh yeah, I also made sure the car had the sport seats. They really finish the looks of the interior AND they are comfortable for me to sit on /in. The tires are not what I would pick and they will get swapped out for an up sized set of non-runflats at some point. The Cup2's are a lot like the Hoosier Quick Time Pros I had on my Chevy II (22" wide rears with less tread) that were sketchy on damp roads. Zero electronics, it would blow the tires off at 50mph if they were cold and I hopped on it. 700+hp and less than 3,000 lbs. So yeah I have enough sense/experience to know you don't work the throttle on the Z06 like an on/off switch. So much for this thread.......
Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 AM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you are a serious track person, the CCB package is going to be a total waste of money. I've been driving my Z06 for a year now, I autocross enough that I burned through a set of tires in the first season and I can tell you that the factory brakes are WAY enough for everyday driving, and pretty much every use except serious track use.

Originally Posted by Bueller

Thoughts? Thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 09:27 AM
dabear
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone put a roll bar in their 15-16 Zo7 vert? I have been thinking about it, but it doesn't look like there is much room after it goes in. I LOVE my Z07 Convertible but I'd like to take it to the track once or twice.

Anyone know a track around DC that would take the convertible without a roll bar?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:46 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Never tracked..

my cars and never will so the choice for me was easy.. didn't go with the Z07 or CCB's. But that's me, go with what YOU feel is the car you want..

Love the vert but as has been said before, you'll need the cage installed if intending to take it to any track.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
vincesf
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I opted for a Z06 convertible with the Carbon Ceramic Brakes as a stand alone option ( Option Code J57 ). My use: Never will be tracked or modded. Not a fan of the Aero Packages on the convertible. Having said that, GET WHAT YOU WANT and don't worry about others opinions on this one. My opinion of some of the comments on this forum:

1. Z07 suspension is too stiff - Nonsense, you can adjust the suspension for the needed application.

2. The Z07 tires will only last 3,000 miles - This could be true depending on your road conditions and you can always change out your tires (another cost to the already $11,000 for the Z07 with mnimum required Aero Package ). Heck, you only live once and if you really like the looks of the Z07, bite the bullet.

3. Carbon Ceramic Brakes never needed if you don't track - Is 650hp really ever needed? I like that I have no brake dust with my CCBs's, the weight savings on each corner, and like the way my car STOPS. However, if you go without CCB's you can always change out the pads to elimate much of the brake dust.

4. Some of the greatest cars of all time make no sense on paper but they exist, and we are glad that they do. The Z07 convertible is one of those cars.

So while I don't own a Z07 convertible, if you want one, go for it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 04:04 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Well, it's been 16 months since I posted in this thread. Been driving the Z06 vert with the Z07 pkge since Jan 2 last year. It has about 5,250 miles. The Cup2 tires are still fine. No rollbar as yet, as the ones I've seen are not much higher than the seatback and would do little, if anything, to save you in a rollover (not that I would anticipate doing that, but accidents can happen.)

I do not regret having the vert with the Z07 pkge, even if it never sees track time. It's nice to have all of the "bells & whistles".

Get notified of new replies

To Z07 package on a 'Vert, opinions for/against please

Old 01-05-2016, 02:35 AM
KEZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lrn2Swm
Attachment 47943728

Not only is it a fully loaded Z06/7, but it is now a Callaway SC 757.

I drove her from Miami to San Fran and enjoyed every second. With Tour mode it does not feel stiff at all and Sport mode is not so bad either.

Ditto because a Callaway z06/7 3LZ vert rocks to drive! Simply permagrin! Car rides great in Touring. If you want to track it get a rpm 4point rollbar harnesses helmet and fire extinguisher.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:06 AM
dabear
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default My ZO7 Convertible

The only time I regret getting a convertible is when I think about tracking. Otherwise, I LOVE this car. If the temp is above 40deg and it is not raining, I'm driving with the top down.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Wow..

Originally Posted by dabear
The only time I regret getting a convertible is when I think about tracking. Otherwise, I LOVE this car. If the temp is above 40deg and it is not raining, I'm driving with the top down.

that is one SHARP looking Z you have there.. GREAT color choice and combo..

dabear (01-06-2016)

Quick Reply: Z07 package on a 'Vert, opinions for/against please