C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why I'm afraid to buy a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:39 PM
char6656
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This why I got rid of my GT 500..........
Old 09-10-2014, 01:19 AM
10WhiteGS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some people just don't quit. op... your post is truly laughable.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:23 AM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,303 Likes on 532 Posts

Dude, non-car people will not be able to tell the difference between a base vette and a Z06. Car people will know, and those are the ones who will admire what you have anyway.

I recently bought a GTM because of the exclusivity and bad assedness of the whole car in general. I have had it mistaken for a ferrari, and also multiple times as a corvette! Doesnt really bother me that much, it just informs me who the real car people are.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
The tail lights will appear much smaller on the Z06.

I buy my cars for my enjoyment, not to worry what others think. Other than other vette guys and gear heads in general I doubt Sally or Ralph who are commuting in their minivan give a rats *** what you or I are driving.

If exclusivity is what you are after a Vette is not the car for you.
Originally Posted by ravill
Dude, I rob banks in my vette because I disappear.

I bet 99.9% of people can't tell the difference between any corvette.
Originally Posted by ibleedgreen
Or spend the $35k on the SuperVettes conversion and have something totally different.
Originally Posted by soulsea
I don't mean this in an insulting way, but buying a vehicle on the premise of what others think or know of you is a losing proposition no matter which way you dissect it. Who cares if random strangers can't tell the difference tween different trim levels of the same vehicle? The average non enthusiast can't tell the difference tween a V6 base camaro and a Z28. Plus if GM doesn't replicate a cheaper version of what you already have you can be sure that many aftermarket companies will sell all the parts to folks who want to pretend to have something they don't.

Spend your money on what you like to DRIVE and let others think what they may.

[/highhorse]
The GS basically kept the lights on in bowling green for the last 3 years of C6 production. For that alon it was a good thing for the brand.

I hope you don't search for that exclusive look in a Porsche dealer. Does a 911T look that different than a base carrera?

Does a now 85K viper srt look any different than a 120K TA 2.0? Do you think Joe Lunch box will be able to tell that you are driving a new Viper and not a 16 year GTS?

Corvette is in business for one reason, to make money. If a GS aids in that goal it is good for the brand. Hope you enjoy what ever you decide to buy
Originally Posted by nitrojunky
never really pissed me off. while i like the way my C6Z looks, i didn't buy it to look different from the garden variety vette, i bought it because it drives different.

if the other vettes up their aesthetic game to match the Z, more power to them.

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
Were one in such a predicament a solution would be to have the C7Z professionally vinyl-wrapped with an enlarged VIN Code applied across the hood and roof, and VIN decoder tables applied to the doors and fenders, leaving no doubt about how special and unique it is.

Originally Posted by MavsAK
If you're that insecure in your purchases because 'zomg someone looks like mine! and it's cheaper!" you might need to see a psychologist about your case of ***** envy.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
c7rvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Caravaggio Corvettes and tell him you would like a body kit. You get what you pay for!!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:51 AM
sly4458
Advanced

Have a 2011 GS vert and love it. I see your point, but I didn't want a manual. And our GS is bad ***. Will be keeping it and getting the Z06 Coupe auto.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:03 AM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tail lights will appear much smaller on the Z06.

I buy my cars for my enjoyment, not to worry what others think. Other than other vette guys and gear heads in general I doubt Sally or Ralph who are commuting in their minivan give a rats *** what you or I are driving.

If exclusivity is what you are after a Vette is not the car for you.
A-MEN!!!!!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2kev
A-MEN!!!!!
Its the way things work.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
I don't mean this in an insulting way, but buying a vehicle on the premise of what others think or know of you is a losing proposition no matter which way you dissect it. Who cares if random strangers can't tell the difference tween different trim levels of the same vehicle? The average non enthusiast can't tell the difference tween a V6 base camaro and a Z28. Plus if GM doesn't replicate a cheaper version of what you already have you can be sure that many aftermarket companies will sell all the parts to folks who want to pretend to have something they don't.

Spend your money on what you like to DRIVE and let others think what they may.

[/highhorse]
I agree Are you buying and driving the car for you or for others to look at makes no sense to me
Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If unique is what you are after, consider buying a Lister-Corvette replica.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalC7
Agree with OP. That was the first thing I thought when the GS came out and I didn't even own a vette back then.

Dumb move by Chevy.
Based on the additional sales provided by the GS introduction, it was a very smart move for them. I believe the C6 sales were not that great at that time, the GS changed all that, so GM stockholders were happy.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:43 PM
INTJ
Advanced

New guy here who has recently decided to get vette #2 after a 25 year gap (so far) in vettes. I would love to have a C7 Z06. However, the stuff I have does not define me or make any statements about who I am. It is I who defines to stuff I have. In other words, whatever vette I wind up with will be cool because I own it, not the other way around........
Old 09-10-2014, 12:45 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 45Z06
I love corvettes, I have an '06Zo6 and love it. The thing that pisses me off is that if I buy the new Z06 I'll bet my house that 2 years down the road chevy is going to put out some mid level corvette (like the Grand Sport) that is going to look EXACTLY like the C7Zo6. They did this with the Grand Sport which pissed me off!! Before the grand sport came along anybody with 2 eyeballs would be able to tell that my Corvette Z06 was different looking than a regular Corvette and I liked that. Then the freaking GS comes out and now the Z06, GS AND ZR1 ALL LOOK the same. Even the 427 vert. I would imagine that ZR1 owners were pissed that they made the ZR1 look 99% the same as the Z06. Hey Chevy, differentiate!!!

So basically if I go and buy a C7Z a few years down the road they will make a "more affordable" flared out fendered looking Grand Sport or whatever the heck they'll call it.

Comon, doesnt that **** you guys off?? I mean hell, if you see a viper coming down the road you KNOW its a Viper!! not some cheaper replication of it for a more mid level audience. I mean comon, we drive better cars than the "regular corvettes". I know I sound pompous, but if I'm gonna spend 100k on a Vette I dont want a 60K version pulling up next to me and nobody being able to tell the diff!!!
No because I buy it simply for the performance not the look. If you only buy for how it looks save your $$$ and buy the poser model.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:12 PM
INTJ
Advanced

Since when is ANY model Corvette a poser model? The car is not the poser. The poser is the person who is trying to define himself by the stuff he buys.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:05 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by INTJ
Since when is ANY model Corvette a poser model? The car is not the poser. The poser is the person who is trying to define himself by the stuff he buys.
I was in no way trying to offend anyone. A poser is one who pretends to be someone something its not. If a car looks just like a ZO6 but is not what would u call it? Again I'm not trying to offend anyone. I think the GS look great, but they aren't ZO6's they just look like them.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 PM
INTJ
Advanced

I didn't take offense at all. I suspect that anyone who can afford a new vette is a substantial, real deal person, who doesn't need "stuff" to define who they are. My understanding of the whole GS thing with the C6 was simply to provide the suspension and handling of the Z06 with a lesser HP engine at a lower price. It provides another choice, nothing more, nothing less. A poser would be one who puts a Z06 badge on their non Z06 car. Simply buying a GS or base coupe, or not wanting to take their vette to the track, doesn't make them a poser.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:23 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by INTJ
I didn't take offense at all. I suspect that anyone who can afford a new vette is a substantial, real deal person, who doesn't need "stuff" to define who they are. My understanding of the whole GS thing with the C6 was simply to provide the suspension and handling of the Z06 with a lesser HP engine at a lower price. It provides another choice, nothing more, nothing less. A poser would be one who puts a Z06 badge on their non Z06 car. Simply buying a GS or base coupe, or not wanting to take their vette to the track, doesn't make them a poser.
True I'll gig you that one, bad choice of verbiage on my part. Or maybe a 24" wing on the back of a civic

Get notified of new replies

To Why I'm afraid to buy a Z06

Old 09-10-2014, 02:25 PM
INTJ
Advanced

BTW, in the time I have been lurking here I have been impressed that guys are so quick to avoid offending each other. On many forums, like a few hunting forums and trumpet playing forums I used to frequent, members make no such effort. I am impressed with the civility here.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

I realize as enthusiast's we're all not going to see things in the same light but some comments here, and the bashing of the original poster is unwarranted at best.

I've owned 1 C5Z, 2C6Z's and a C6ZR1 and have and completely get that these are "performance" packaged vehicles. With that being said I do agree that they should somewhat differentiate cosmetically from the rest of the line up. For me this especially holds true for the ZR1 IMHO and know factually that there are quite a few other ZR owners who felt the same way.

As some here have strongly suggested, it is not "all about" what others think (at least for me) but what I think and how I feel when I look at the car. I do feel to some degree we all care about what others think and this is why many of us mod our cars cosmetically and not just performance wise and after all seriously here, we're driving vettes.

Im pretty sure that every1 here knows there's nothing exclusive about vettes, but is it really unreasonable to desire a little bit of exclusivity model to model-I don't think so.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 PM
HumanWiki
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by 45Z06
I mean hell, if you see a viper coming down the road you KNOW its a Viper!! not some cheaper replication of it for a more mid level audience. I mean comon, we drive better cars than the "regular corvettes". I know I sound pompous, but if I'm gonna spend 100k on a Vette I dont want a 60K version pulling up next to me and nobody being able to tell the diff!!!
Somewhere there must be a Gen5 GTS owner whining about the same for the lowly SRT and a Time Attack that laughs at them both for fake Vipers.

I have a Grand Sport and I love it.

The vast majority of the population just see Corvette. It's only people in car circles that can tell the difference and even that's questionable.

Hell, I've had Corvette owners walk up to me and ask what model I have.

You as a Corvette owner should know that a GS != Z06. They're different for different reasons. Just like a GS isn't just a Z51 with a wide body kit.

Last edited by HumanWiki; 09-10-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Why I'm afraid to buy a Z06