C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Anyone planning to use a C7Z for a 4 season daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 AM
Stunt
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

I plan to drive mine all 4 seasons except when there's snow on the ground, or they are calling for it, or if temps are below freezing. I live in central VA in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, so we get maybe 15 days of snow per year, although it has been a lot more than that these last few years. If the weather is bad, I'll just drive one of the 4x4s in my stable.

No way I would want the Z as my only vehicle living where I do!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,840 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Just curious how many people are planning to use a C7Z as a 4 season daily driver.

Assume at least 15 days of snow on the road in varying depths.
As with all of my Corvettes: the new one would be parked only if there's snow or threat of it. I have a pickup truck I like to drive in the slop because I find it more fun to do that (yes, dammit, I will park on that snow bank. What about it?!) The lack of ground clearance combined with Northern VA's very poorly-trained road clearing crews makes for a challenging time driving a Corvette in the snow.

As long as the roads are snowless and iceless, I'll be in the Vette.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

we only have 2 seasons here in tucson,,,hot and HOTTER,,, so yeah, mine gets used all year long.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:08 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll daily drive it as much as I possibly can. But, any ice/snow at all it says in the garage until the salt washes away - thats my only rule. Thats what our beater Rav4 is for!

Other than that, fair game.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
I'll daily drive it as much as I possibly can. But, any ice/snow at all it says in the garage until the salt washes away - thats my only rule. Thats what our beater Rav4 is for!

Other than that, fair game.
Pretty much mine as well. Here in Saint Louis our winters vary widely from year to year, but we can pretty much count on a couple days in Jan and Feb of 40 degrees and clear and on those days I would drive my Vette just to get it out and moving. And we can have mild winters with stretches of clear, dry and warmer weather and then I would drive it as much as possible.

But no snow, ice or salty roads, ever. I DD a Jeep GC so I have bad weather covered.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 AM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Florida so yes, 365 days a yr of happiness!!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sahowley
I live in Florida so yes, 365 days a yr of happiness!!!!
Same hear in San Diego. All winter, I plan on removing the top of my coup and drive the beast along the coast every chance I get.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:53 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcher
Same hear in San Diego. All winter, I plan on removing the top of my coup and drive the beast along the coast every chance I get.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:17 PM
thelongwait
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm rustling up a set of chains for mine!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM
scutzi128
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just wondering are you guys planning on DDing on the cup 2s? I've seen people say they wear out in less then 7k miles.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Toxic Z
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotuner20v
Just curious how many people are planning to use a C7Z as a 4 season daily driver.

Assume at least 15 days of snow on the road in varying depths.
Drive A Z06 in the snow once and you will never do it again.. I grew up in the snow and love to drive in the snow but not my C6. It is a scary deal..
Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 AM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by scutzi128
I'm just wondering are you guys planning on DDing on the cup 2s? I've seen people say they wear out in less then 7k miles.
Good question worthy of it's own thread.

I get the impression a lot of people who plan to order the Z07 haven't given it much thought.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
Good question worthy of it's own thread.

I get the impression a lot of people who plan to order the Z07 haven't given it much thought.
I don't know if "a lot" is accurate, but there are some people that have made comments in their posts that are somewhat naïve as to whether Z07 is, or is not, a good fit for them. Especially since none of us has been in one!

I have debated the Z07 n my mind for some time. Today? I say no-go. Tomorrow?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:45 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,840 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by scutzi128
I'm just wondering are you guys planning on DDing on the cup 2s?
I've already factored in the cost of a brand new set of PSS tires with the purchase of the Z07. I will not use R compound tires on a daily unless I'm actually driving to/from the race track.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LT1xL82
I don't know if "a lot" is accurate, but there are some people that have made comments in their posts that are somewhat naïve as to whether Z07 is, or is not, a good fit for them. Especially since none of us has been in one!

I have debated the Z07 n my mind for some time. Today? I say no-go. Tomorrow?
LOL This is such a sensitive topic in this forum that I knew some will take exception to an innocuous statement. "A lot" is very subjective, but here is some very subjective context.

I've followed these Z07 discussions closely. The number of people active in this discussion who frequently track their cars ("several" times per year) is pretty few. Those of us following this discussion could name them pretty easily. The number planning to order the Z07 package is much, much larger. A lot of those C07 folks have given it a great deal of thought and are ordering their car wide-eyed and informed. Many (a lot?) based upon their comments, have not.

Personally: to each his own. I've made an informed choice on what I'm getting and really don't care if others have not. None of my business. It's their money and they can spend it as they wish. I will celebrate with them their beautiful new car, even if a month later they stop driving it forever filled with regret.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:02 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
LOL This is such a sensitive topic in this forum that I knew some will take exception to an innocuous statement. "A lot" is very subjective, but here is some very subjective context.

I've followed these Z07 discussions closely. The number of people active in this discussion who frequently track their cars ("several" times per year) is pretty few. Those of us following this discussion could name them pretty easily. The number planning to order the Z07 package is much, much larger. A lot of those C07 folks have given it a great deal of thought and are ordering their car wide-eyed and informed. Many (a lot?) based upon their comments, have not.

Personally: to each his own. I've made an informed choice on what I'm getting and really don't care if others have not. None of my business. It's their money and they can spend it as they wish. I will celebrate with them their beautiful new car, even if a month later they stop driving it forever filled with regret.
I guess I did a less than great job choosing my words...I was neither agreeing or not agreeing with "a lot". I basically agree with your post.

I also agree with you that the topic can a strike sensitive cord and that some/many/a lot do not have their eyes wide open. No question in my mind there will be people getting the Z07 that will come to regret their decision. There may also be some (way far fewer I'll bet) that will regret not getting the Z07.

Some may even be "saved' if Z07 availability is constrained and they drop the option to get the car. I have heard more than once that the carbon ceramic brake availability will be an issue.

Quick Reply: Anyone planning to use a C7Z for a 4 season daily driver?