C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z07 as a daily driver? Not so fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM
HumanWiki
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by phantasms
Yes. Approximately 0% fun.

http://www.brobible.com/entertainmen...g-bang-theory/

My good friend wrote that gem.

Best,
Gene
Your good friend sounds like an absolutely arrogant **** that loves the smell of his own fecal matter.

"Sorry, but your brain is wired incorrectly" -- Really? There's something neurologically wrong with me because I happen to love the show? He sounds just like the typical self-fellating jagoffs that write all these useless articles about which foods, beers, cheese, wines, etc. that I shouldn't be eating because to him, they're foul tasting or bad.

That's the thing about an opinion. It's an opinion. It's variable based on the individual providing it.

If the success of TBBT insults him as a comic writer, then maybe he should laugh a little more in life and try to be funnier. It's a show. It's not directed at him, nor it is about him. Also, to say that he's also offended about its success as an intelligent person is insulting to me as an intelligent person. I'm very intelligent and I greatly enjoy this show.

I am a science geek. I have 5 different degrees to my name. Many certifications in varying fields. I'm a long time IT (an actual one) geek. There's no acting like a nerd here. I am one. My friends are. Even my non nerdy friends enjoy the show.

Honestly, your friend sounds a little jealous. But, I supposed he's entitled to his opinion.

Last edited by HumanWiki; 09-03-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 PM
MEJ
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
So...anyone that doesn't track their car is a waxer/cruiser?

OK, I guess. Interesting what a snobby/self important little group we Corvette owners have become.

I am so excited that we can get the same level of snootiness with the Z06 that we have with the Stingray ("oh....you DIDN'T get Z51...must be a waxer"....and "oh...you didn't get Z07...."waxer")

Jimmy
What he said. Cocky bunch of bastards on here...
Old 09-04-2014, 05:23 PM
drivinsideways
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it'll be as big of an issue as people claim it will be. I'm probably at the very bottom end of the age spectrum for potential Z06 buyers so I don't think the stiff ride would bother me
Old 09-05-2014, 03:56 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
So...anyone that doesn't track their car is a waxer/cruiser?

OK, I guess. Interesting what a snobby/self important little group we Corvette owners have become.

I am so excited that we can get the same level of snootiness with the Z06 that we have with the Stingray ("oh....you DIDN'T get Z51...must be a waxer"....and "oh...you didn't get Z07...."waxer")

Jimmy
Amen brother. What a bunch of self important twits trying to look down on owners who don't track their cars. Probably some of the same drivers who I see at the track, losing control of their Z06's and hitting the wall.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:38 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an interesting experience discussing my order with a forum dealer today. I had told him what I wanted and then went over the order and started mentioning options I had not mentioned. I had forgot the sat nav and so that was included.

Then he mentioned the Z07 package. He started laying it on thick about how it's a serious track package, not for everyone, how do you intend to use your car,.... I finally cut him off and said I wasn't interested in the 07 or an aero upgrades. He was visibly relieved, and said, "Oh good, you want a car you can actually drive." We both laughed and I told him what a sensitive topic this has become on this forum, and he started sharing anecdotes. They are spending a lot of their time trying to talk non-track people out of the Z07, with apparently mixed results.

The Z07 is going to be a track car the track people love, at least as compared to past Z vettes.

I suspect the Z07 is going to be heavily constrained.

Last edited by dwward; 09-06-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:13 PM
rrm
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know where this tread started but I have a question that I would think someone here could answer...what is the ground clearance of the various models? Is there a difference when measuring the base Z vs the aero pkged Z and the Zo7? I drove my '09Z most of my ownership time in Vir./DC and had to be very careful about where and how to park, driveways etc. I have looked for the ground clearance numbers but can find none. Anyone?...rrm
Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

If it's too low to go there... Then you probably shouldn't be driving it there.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:57 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

It's pretty funny...I heard the same schtick from people when I ordered my '91 Z07. Said it wasn't a daily driver, the suspension was harsh and track/autocross oriented and unless I were a serious enthusiast I'd be trading it in.

Funny thing was I ordered it that way BECAUSE I WAS going to autocross it heavily and track it when possible.

Drove the car <nearly> daily for years...the harsh ride was not as bad as everyone claimed. THEN I got the shocks rebuilt to DRM specs with their controller...it's even stiffer now.

These cars are so comfortable now...I have no doubt the Z07 option isn't ANYWHERE near as bad as some are thinking.

Mine WILL be a Z07...lightly optioned.

My $.02
Old 09-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Ching Ho
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rrm
I know where this tread started but I have a question that I would think someone here could answer...what is the ground clearance of the various models? Is there a difference when measuring the base Z vs the aero pkged Z and the Zo7? I drove my '09Z most of my ownership time in Vir./DC and had to be very careful about where and how to park, driveways etc. I have looked for the ground clearance numbers but can find none. Anyone?...rrm
2.5" to air dam, 4.5" until you break your splitter and need a $2995/$3995 replacement - measured it personally at the NY Auto Show. And that's with a sizeable wheel gap. So you'll have to avoid half your speed bumps, potholes, road imperfections, and look out carefully for parking ingress/egress, and pretty much can't drive at night.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:33 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dwward
The Z07 is going to be a track car the track people love, at least as compared to past Z vettes.

I suspect the Z07 is going to be heavily constrained.
I suspect you are absolutely correct.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:56 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
It's pretty funny...I heard the same schtick from people when I ordered my '91 Z07. Said it wasn't a daily driver, the suspension was harsh and track/autocross oriented and unless I were a serious enthusiast I'd be trading it in.

Funny thing was I ordered it that way BECAUSE I WAS going to autocross it heavily and track it when possible.

Drove the car <nearly> daily for years...the harsh ride was not as bad as everyone claimed. THEN I got the shocks rebuilt to DRM specs with their controller...it's even stiffer now.

These cars are so comfortable now...I have no doubt the Z07 option isn't ANYWHERE near as bad as some are thinking.

Mine WILL be a Z07...lightly optioned.

My $.02

Originally Posted by Ching Ho
2.5" to air dam, 4.5" until you break your splitter and need a $2995/$3995 replacement - measured it personally at the NY Auto Show. And that's with a sizeable wheel gap. So you'll have to avoid half your speed bumps, potholes, road imperfections, and look out carefully for parking ingress/egress, and pretty much can't drive at night.
Cars spotted on the road have exhibited NOTICEABLY larger fender gap than the cars at the shows
Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 PM
dio55
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 62 Posts

All I have to say after reading all the posts is ..Z28...The mind bending capability that Chevy was able to extract from a far far inferior chassis that is the Camaro gives me goosebumps thinking what the can pull with the Z's especially the Z07 there will only be a handful of cars in the world that will exceed it..and after experiencing it on a track no owner will give a rats behind about whether its soft enough on rough roads

That's a RWD Z28 beating an AWD GTR TRACK PACK on a DAMP track with 50 less horses under the hood
Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 PM
rrm
Racer

Thank you...that helps a lot
Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 PM
rrm
Racer

That clinches it for me. No aero pkg. just the standard z...rrm
Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Had a 2008 z06 as per my sig pic. Liked it quite a bit but it didn't have the best ride and my year didn't get the magnetic shock option.
Nowadays am kind of spoiled . I like to have cars that can have a nice touring ride and still handle well with the touch of a button. MY SL 55 and my 911 turbo are both like that. And would be looking for that same thing when get a c7 z06. Not mentioning base cars as personally like the z06 more mainly cause its wide body and to me looks a lot better than the base cars and usually do get the top of line fully loaded model.

I would not bother with the z07 package personally. Its a lot of money and I would not likely ever take the car to the track. Ceramic brakes are pretty overkill on the street and no use for the tires that come with the z07 package either. And not interesting in stiffer riding cars sure base z06 will be just fine for me and bet 95 to maybe even higher percentage of z06 buyers many of which are wannabe track stars.. and doubt will ever actually take their cars to the track and drive them anywhere near their potential anyway.

Level 3 maybe even level 2 ground effects are going to have a short life in many places. My city is pretty nice for roads but saw a z06 at dealer and his front splitter was all wrecked and his side things also had some damage on them as well.

Level 1 will likely suite me just fine. Fact almost wishing for a level zero just make front like the c7 base cars no front splitter no spats and bit smaller tires/rims. Better yet and should be an option from Gm.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 PM
lotus69c
Intermediate

A warning for the waxers: looks like the Z07 will be a rough ride, having significantly stiffer shocks, stiffer spring rates, stiffer bushings, stiffer sway bar (so a bump on one tire will be felt on the others), and stiffer MRC settings (even in touring mode). The chief Z06 designer, Kirk Benion, stated that "I would not want to take an eight hour ride in a Z07," that the cars are made for the "track enthusiast" and after a 20-minute ride in a Z07, it was harsh enough for the main chassis engineer to exchange it for a stage 1 for a 120-mile ride.

A forum member elegant met with the Z06 chassis engineer and stated this:

"Had the privilege of meeting one to one with Alex MacDonald, Z06 Chassis Controls Performance Engineer. Alex noted that the final specifications for the Z06 components of suspension components are not finalized as of this time, that testing and chassis/suspension development continues.

He mentioned that the spring rates are much firmer for the Z07 then the other two stages, and that because the spring rates are significantly firmer, that the MSRC shocks must similarly be firmer to compensate. He added that the shocks are firmer in not just sport and track modes, as we heard previously, but also in the touring mode, i.e., even in the touring mode, you need stiffer shocks to modulate and control the stronger forces brought about by having stiffer Z07 Springs. He also confirmed that Jim Mero, Chief Z06 performance driver, continues to test/refine the car, including testing whether the Z07 will also have stiffer/larger sway bars -- which is actively being considered for that version at this time. As of today that decision is still under full consideration, neither adopted, nor rejected. Once Jim finalizes the sway bar decision, he will then determine whether or not the bushings for the sway bars will also be stiffer. Alex stated that there are at least six different sway bar bushings (with different degrees of firmness) that will be considered. Lastly, the MSRC will be calibrated on the Z07 version. (Of course, parallel development continues on the stage 1/2 version.)

Alex volunteered his personal experience driving a Z07 around Detroit, first emphasizing, as we all know, that the streets around the Detroit area are a challenge, sometimes pothole ridden. He and his wife went for a 20 mile Z07, "local ride" that ride changed their subsequent weekend plans, for they had planned to take the Z07 a couple of days later on a 120 mile weekend trip, but after the local 20 mile local trip, he exchanged it for a stage 1 Z06 for the 120 mile weekend ride.

Testing and development and refinement of the Z06 (all versions) continues, and further changes could occur, but none, in Alex's opinion, are going to change the essential nature of the Z07 version as one both designed for the track AND one he personally would not want to drive as a daily driver."
Thus, the performance package......you get what you pay for
Old 09-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Ching Ho
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLANB
Level 1 will likely suite me just fine. Fact almost wishing for a level zero just make front like the c7 base cars no front splitter no spats and bit smaller tires/rims. Better yet and should be an option from Gm.
Agree. But level 1 might look really, really weird (without the splitter, how does the spat tie together?) and no photos have been released yet of level 1.

Get notified of new replies

To Z07 as a daily driver? Not so fast!

Old 09-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
Amen brother. What a bunch of self important twits trying to look down on owners who don't track their cars. Probably some of the same drivers who I see at the track, losing control of their Z06's and hitting the wall.
I track my C6 Z51 & while I haven't (knock on wood) had an off track excursion yet, accidents can & do happen when you're finding the limits of yourself and your vehicle. I had a great time today dicing it up with a capable driver in a late model M3 (awesome cars) on VIR full today.

Does that make me a 'self-important twit'?

I ride in the rain, let brake dust build up on my rims, and haven't waxed it for >6 months. I also let people ride in it without first forcing them to remove their shoes or put on booties. I also don't have a black faux leather jacket with a giant Corvette emblem across the back.

Why people buy track-capable cars and garage them, spend more time waxing, clay-baring, creating 20+ page posts on the correct way to apply Zaino, & dinking to cruise-ins or Starbucks is beyond me, but to each their own.

Last edited by Newton06; 09-06-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You and I are on the same page. There is a video here that includes captions of the various options. The GM rep says the front splitter is bolted on. I may consider removing it when I get my car. I'd leave the spats so I would have to consider how one would look without the other.

We may see some aftermarket rim options come out that allow for Z51 size tires to fit over the brakes and mount on the Z06. This would allow for Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S tires on the car.

Last edited by dwward; 09-06-2014 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-06-2014, 11:21 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Had a 2008 z06 as per my sig pic. Liked it quite a bit but it didn't have the best ride and my year didn't get the magnetic shock option.
Nowadays am kind of spoiled . I like to have cars that can have a nice touring ride and still handle well with the touch of a button. MY SL 55 and my 911 turbo are both like that. And would be looking for that same thing when get a c7 z06. Not mentioning base cars as personally like the z06 more mainly cause its wide body and to me looks a lot better than the base cars and usually do get the top of line fully loaded model.

I would not bother with the z07 package personally. Its a lot of money and I would not likely ever take the car to the track. Ceramic brakes are pretty overkill on the street and no use for the tires that come with the z07 package either. And not interesting in stiffer riding cars sure base z06 will be just fine for me and bet 95 to maybe even higher percentage of z06 buyers many of which are wannabe track stars.. and doubt will ever actually take their cars to the track and drive them anywhere near their potential anyway.

Level 3 maybe even level 2 ground effects are going to have a short life in many places. My city is pretty nice for roads but saw a z06 at dealer and his front splitter was all wrecked and his side things also had some damage on them as well.

Wow! Where do you get off?

A honest, mature assessment of why the Z07 may not be the best fit for you. Sans ego and bravado? No macho I can shift faster than a slush box and tough enough to handle the stiffest of suspensions?

You sure you are allowed to post here?

Your post is probably one of the most grounded and rational posts I have read on the subject of Z07.

Don't get me wrong folks, I'm not bashing the Z07. For the right customer it will be fantastic! I'm just supporting a post that illustrates "more" is not necessarily "better".

Quick Reply: Z07 as a daily driver? Not so fast!