C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Appearance and wheel tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Appearance and wheel tire questions

First which factory wheel chrome-spectra gray-black will look best on a DSOM/Kalahari soft top convertible?

This is a Z07 car so the cup tires and wheels most likely will come off within the first 500 miles. What aftermarket wheel/tire combination do you guys suggest?

Need to be an all weather type tire as rain does not keep my car in the garage.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Why get the Z07 if you're going to ditch the tires because you won't be using them? Why not get a non Z07 which is probably better suited for you?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by rsinor
First which factory wheel chrome-spectra gray-black will look best on a DSOM/Kalahari soft top convertible?

This is a Z07 car so the cup tires and wheels most likely will come off within the first 500 miles. What aftermarket wheel/tire combination do you guys suggest?

If you are going to upgrade the Z07 wheels then I would only recommend going either flow formed or forged.

The Z07 wheels are great quality wheels right out of the factory so I wouldnt recommend something that would be a downgrade on the car.

There are some options

HRE Flow Formed and Forged
ADV1 Forged
BC Forged
Forgestar

May I can help you. Let me know how.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:23 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
Why get the Z07 if you're going to ditch the tires because you won't be using them? Why not get a non Z07 which is probably better suited for you?
This.

But if you're simply set on changing the wheels, which is fine, HRE has nice stuff and top shelf quality.

btw, I'm surprised they even offer chrome wheels from the factory for the new Z. As to grey, black, silver, or uh, chrome, that's obviously subjective and up to you.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by OnPoint
This.

But if you're simply set on changing the wheels, which is fine, HRE has nice stuff and top shelf quality.

btw, I'm surprised they even offer chrome wheels from the factory for the new Z. As to grey, black, silver, or uh, chrome, that's obviously subjective and up to you.
I agree on the HRE Wheels

For a car like that you need quality.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by need4speedmotors
I agree on the HRE Wheels

For a car like that you need quality.

I have the P40s on my ZR. Great wheels.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM
SRTRick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is that I hope that you send me a message if you are going to sell your stock wheels and tires.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no all season tire available for the Z06. I would love the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S tires for a Z06 but they don't make them large enough for the back wheels. At least not now. 285s are the widest A/S tire made. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've looked. with no luck.

The best you can do is the non-Z07 standard tires which are Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

As others have suggested, you need to seriously consider forgoing the Z07 package based upon what you've written. My Z06 build does not include the Z07 package because for me, there is no reason.

Best of luck!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 AM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LFZ
because I will use the tires when on a track where they offer a true advantage not on the street where they can't be pushed to their limit.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 AM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by need4speedmotors
If you are going to upgrade the Z07 wheels then I would only recommend going either flow formed or forged.

The Z07 wheels are great quality wheels right out of the factory so I wouldnt recommend something that would be a downgrade on the car.

There are some options

HRE Flow Formed and Forged
ADV1 Forged
BC Forged
Forgestar

May I can help you. Let me know how.
So send me a private email with some wheel/tire recommendations and cost. Sounds like HRE is what I should get. I understand Nitto makes a tire that works? I can buy the tires separate and have them mounted locally.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SRTRick
All I know is that I hope that you send me a message if you are going to sell your stock wheels and tires.

These tires will get used up and replaced with a second set of track tires.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

because I will use the tires when on a track where they offer a true advantage not on the street where they can't be pushed to their limit.

Have you sourced a roll bar?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

There will be many vendors here with wheel tire combinations for you to choose from. You are a little ahead of the curve so it's hard to give you an answer. Still a great question and the answer will be forthcoming if the supporting vendors follow their usual path at every new release.

Congrats on the incoming new z06
Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I'd get a set of cup wheels and throw some Supersports on it and call it a day...just make sure the wheels are black.

I'm getting the Z07 as well and plan on running the Sport Cup 2s on the street at their limit every chance I get while running 18s and Toyos or Continentals for the track.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the cup tires off immediately They are lousy DD tires that will wear quickly so save them for track days.

Pilot super sports are great DD tires........ I have them on a DD AWD SHO and they work very well in rain or shine.

As far as wheels you already have some good recommendations. However, when you are ready I suggest checking on the availability of a lightweight wheel option from GM like they made for the C6 Z cars

But if price is no object and you can stay away from curbs.......... Get some CF wheels.

They look awesome but will make 10 large wheels look like a bargain
Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

So somebody please tell me. Which factory wheel is going to look better with the carbon flash. The spectra grey or black? Chrome is out, calipers will be black.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redzone
Have you sourced a roll bar?
There are some great cage/bar builders available, making it look presentable is another issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Appearance and wheel tire questions

Old 08-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Go to 1:02 & listen what Harlan Charles says about the cup tires.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I would either get a set of C6Z/ZR1 Cup wheels or, if I wanted to spend big money, a set of a Forgeline GA or GZ3Rs. Either way I'd wrap them in base Z06 Pilot Super Sports. Don't want to lose the runflat, and I don't think there are any other run flats in those sizes that are as good. If the wheel fit a ZR1, it will fit a C7Z.

And for all of you bitching about him wanting to pull the cup tires, not everyone only uses their car on the track. Plenty of people drive their cars in the rain, on long highway drives, so on and so forth but still want the stiffer suspension, and carbon brakes. Why burn up a set of Cup tires if you're doing the Hot Rod Power Tour or One Lap of America, or even just using the car to commute during the week even if you are going to hit the track on the weekends?

Forcing Z07 buyers into the Cup tires is a bit of an oversight.

Last edited by 4GS7; 08-28-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:27 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

So send me a private email with some wheel/tire recommendations and cost. Sounds like HRE is what I should get. I understand Nitto makes a tire that works? I can buy the tires separate and have them mounted locally.
PM being sent !

Quick Reply: Appearance and wheel tire questions