C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What is Battery Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:55 AM
morganjo5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is Battery Protection?

Is this just a connection for battery slow charging when stored? Thanks for educating me!

Bruce in Arizona
Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

It is just a battery trickle charger unit.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM
Mu$cle
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

I believe the GM option is just a Ctek trickle charger with the pigtail already attached to the battery. Looks like you still have to route the cord through the rear hatch to your 110V receptacle.

On my C6 Z06, I used a low cost trickle charger, attached the supplied pigtail to the battery and just closed the rear hatch on the cord when plugged up. I did not have one of the charger attachment points shown in this link, but it's a pretty neat way to attache a trickle charger and not have to worry about disconnecting it when you use the car or having to close the rear hatch on the cord: http://www.nakidparts.com/id127.html

I'd consider this approach or just using a low cost charger before spending $100 on the GM option. Just my opinion.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:57 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Oh but the battery protection package charger has corvette logo on it. :-)
Old 08-24-2014, 03:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Mu$cle
I believe the GM option is just a Ctek trickle charger with the pigtail already attached to the battery. Looks like you still have to route the cord through the rear hatch to your 110V receptacle.

On my C6 Z06, I used a low cost trickle charger, attached the supplied pigtail to the battery and just closed the rear hatch on the cord when plugged up. I did not have one of the charger attachment points shown in this link, but it's a pretty neat way to attache a trickle charger and not have to worry about disconnecting it when you use the car or having to close the rear hatch on the cord: http://www.nakidparts.com/id127.html

I'd consider this approach or just using a low cost charger before spending $100 on the GM option. Just my opinion.
I use the $7 float chargers from Harbor Freight on my C6 Z06 and my 56 and 64 Vettes. On my Z06, I connect the leads to the connection points GM supplied that are under the hood at the fuse box(on the C6). I leave the hood partially open so when I get into the car, it's obvious that the float charger is connected, so I don't drive out of the garage with it still connected.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I use the $7 float chargers from Harbor Freight on my C6 Z06 and my 56 and 64 Vettes. On my Z06, I connect the leads to the connection points GM supplied that are under the hood at the fuse box(on the C6). I leave the hood partially open so when I get into the car, it's obvious that the float charger is connected, so I don't drive out of the garage with it still connected.
Most C7 owners just plug the charger into the provided female charger plug located on the inside rear of the car on the right hand side.

Just remember to unplug before driving off.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Heber Guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmbarney
Most C7 owners just plug the charger into the provided female charger plug located on the inside rear of the car on the right hand side.

Do all the C7'S come with the female plug in
the rear of the car or is the female plug part of the option?
Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Heber Guy
Do all the C7'S come with the female plug in the rear of the car or is the female plug part of the option?
Um, it likely depends on your own personality, charm, handsomeness, wealth, etc. as to whether you will have one of these in your car.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmbarney

That's one thing I like about the C6 over the C7; being able to make the charger connection under the hood. Less chance that I will drive off with the charger still connected.

Get notified of new replies

To What is Battery Protection?

Quick Reply: What is Battery Protection?