C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Price versus Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:07 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
I was going to get the new Z until I test drove a Carrera 4 S. Believe me there's more to life than my car is faster than yours.

Not around here. Go over to the Miata forum, where sanity is rampant. People actually enjoy their cars, and the other people that own them. Almost no, "mine is faster than yours!" BS.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TARANTULA
I was going to get the new Z until I test drove a Carrera 4 S. Believe me there's more to life than my car is faster than yours.
I drove a new 997 for 4 years and loved it. My new C7 Z51 is an awesome sports car. I intend to keep adding to my car garage and keep more of this speedy machines around, as Simply put they all ad value and fun to my everyday life. It does not have to be this or that, I love them all!

The new Z06 W/Z07 it's going to be the Big Nasty and I am sooooo looking forward to the next American Legend, especially driving it on the track!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Originally Posted by zeshawn
never seen or heard of anyone that compares a z06 to a base 911, hell the z06 will even eat GT3's for lunch, and turbo's. I ordered a GT3 which came out at $160,000 cause it was heavily specced and I cancelled it due to the stupid issues with the car and the fact they delayed the delivery from April 2014 to September, im getting a Z06 instead.
Porsche GT3 is an awesome and very capable car! You have to respect Porsche for stoping sales and deliveries after has shipped all the cars around the world and wants to fix a problem rather than releasing the product and problem to you and I like most manufacters would have done. Corvette's bench mark is a 911 not Yugo's and for a good reason. Porche is a respectable machine that demands respect on the track and in the garage. They have among the highest resale value, best customer service in the world etc. Personaly GM has a lot to learn, and I am sooo happy they are modeling them selfs from one of the best car companies. Now I never consider a corvette before the C6 Z06 and still did not pull the trigger until last Octomber with the C7 Z51. Great car, GM forget to put oil in the difenetial and it almost killed me at Summitt Point locking all for weels on turn one at 140 miles. GM is getting better and I am happy about that. Len Stoler Porsche sold me several cars and respected my customer loyalty and in February of this year Len Stoler Chevrolet built me a new C7 Z51 velocity yellow, I LOVE THE CAR!
GM co-operated but it was the dealer that made it right for me.
GM has made an amazing car and doing am amazing job with the development of the new Z06, but make no mistake about it, they are lessons to be learned and faster and bigger is not the only measurements, rather customer service goes a long way, and Porsche has gotten that part right for a long time, and that my friends it's a great beanch mark to built on. BTW I just order the new Z06-z07 pkg
Old 09-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Originally Posted by moby33
I get a kick out of any debate going round & round about HP/Torque #'s, 0-60/100, etc. Why? Because it reminds me of debates we all had in junior high before we could ever drive a car. Think about it, before we could drive, the ONLY thing to debate w/ your buddies about was over brand loyalty and #'s. But to do it as adults seems kind of silly seeing as we now actually get to experience the cars and make our minds up.

My point is #'s use to mean something to me, until I decided to just drive the hell out of many cars and decide which one I enjoyed the most. And surprise, surprise, a lot of the winners were not the fastest or most expensive on paper. Hell...I use to ONLY be a Corvette guy and refused to experience 911's until I took some of my own advice and grew up. And sure enough, I found out why the 911 has been so popular since 1964...it's a DAMN good car.

I've got modern and vintage rides in my garage, and I kid you not I prefer to take out my '72 or '87 911 before I take out my '67 Vette. Years ago I NEVER thought I would say that. But drivers feedback, response and just an all out fun driving experience is higher in the older 911's over the older Vette's (yet I still give the win to the C2 in the looks dept and sound...hard to beat those glorious side pipes)!

As for the new 911 vs. Vette...still trying to figure that one out...but definitely won't be looking at #'s to make my decision but instead rely on my butt and how big a smile I have on my face after taking them through the Malibu hills. Cheers!
Well said!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Not around here. Go over to the Miata forum, where sanity is rampant. People actually enjoy their cars, and the other people that own them. Almost no, "mine is faster than yours!" BS.

Well said
Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

I get a kick out of any debate going round & round about HP/Torque #'s, 0-60/100, etc. Why? Because it reminds me of debates we all had in junior high before we could ever drive a car. Think about it, before we could drive, the ONLY thing to debate w/ your buddies about was over brand loyalty and #'s. But to do it as adults seems kind of silly seeing as we now actually get to experience the cars and make our minds up.

My point is #'s use to mean something to me, until I decided to just drive the hell out of many cars and decide which one I enjoyed the most. And surprise, surprise, a lot of the winners were not the fastest or most expensive on paper. Hell...I use to ONLY be a Corvette guy and refused to experience 911's until I took some of my own advice and grew up. And sure enough, I found out why the 911 has been so popular since 1964...it's a DAMN good car.

I've got modern and vintage rides in my garage, and I kid you not I prefer to take out my '72 or '87 911 before I take out my '67 Vette. Years ago I NEVER thought I would say that. But drivers feedback, response and just an all out fun driving experience is higher in the older 911's over the older Vette's (yet I still give the win to the C2 in the looks dept and sound...hard to beat those glorious side pipes)!

As for the new 911 vs. Vette...still trying to figure that one out...but definitely won't be looking at #'s to make my decision but instead rely on my butt and how big a smile I have on my face after taking them through the Malibu hills. Cheers!

Man I miss my 88 Carrera Coupe, wish I could get it back. They don't make cars that well any longer.

You nailed it, many here in your words still have to grow up.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:11 AM
mikesanto70
Intermediate

With the A8 trans, this thing is going to be a MONSTER in the 1/4 mi and with drag radials/and or slicks will be doing mid 10's easily and 9's with mods!!!! The McLaren 650S is going to get it's lunch eaten by the C7Z....
Old 09-13-2014, 08:17 AM
mikesanto70
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carnut12

Man I miss my 88 Carrera Coupe, wish I could get it back. They don't make cars that well any longer.

The 911 and Vettes are 2 different animals, but if you want to talk 911's, the 2015 911 GT3 is the most kick *** drivers car on the planet, hands down!! I suggest you drive one!!! 991 GT3 that is!!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:23 AM
mikesanto70
Intermediate

Originally Posted by snorman
using this logic, the $79k c7 z06 should also be compared to the $397k aventador and the $400k f12.
The real world isn't a magazine comparison where metrics like cost and value are disregarded. And i would venture that the most commonly used metric to make a buying decision is price, not "hp and torque". Real life isn't usually a cost-independent, "money is not a factor" situation. I doubt many people are cross-shopping a tts with a z06. While the tt/tts is a fantastic car, i think it's more likely that people will make a buying decision compared to a version of the carrera or possibly the gt3 based on their price points. I don't think anybody who is buying a huracan, 458 or aventador (lol) is deciding between it and a c7.
S.
well said
Old 09-13-2014, 08:57 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
z28 is a rip off at $75000.Only 505 h.p ,no equipment.The hellcat Challenger will be $15000 less and make 200 h.p more.For a few dollars more than a Z28 you can have a base c7 Z06.Its a no brainer.
The Z/28 is the least-expensive car you can get with OEM carbon ceramic brakes and the only car you can currently buy with OEM Multimatic DSSV shocks. That kind of hardware spread out among 4500 cars over two years is NOT cheap. Sure, you can buy a Challenger Hellcat and have a much more common car that's faster in a straight line and MUCH slower around a track, or you can buy an also-common C7 Z06 that will be a bit faster around the track and only have half the seats, no DSSV, and no CCB (until you spend about $90k for the Z07 package).

Different strokes for different folks, bro; those cars you listed have no bearing on the value of the Z/28.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:37 PM
moby33
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
Sounds refreshing...maybe I should join (and buy a Miata). Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever spoken to a Miata owner (past or present) that didn't love that car.

Originally Posted by Theo Harris
Well said!

Originally Posted by Carnut12

I completely understand. My '87 3.2 G50 Carrera coupe will NEVER leave my stable. I've owned many cool classics from multiple C2 Vettes, GTOs, 60's/70's Mustangs, Chevelles, 60's/70's 911's, heck, even an Austin Mini (aka...road legal go-cart) & 'modern classics' like 90's ZR1s & Vipers...not to mention stick time in dozens of other cars (both new & old)...so I like to think I have a well-rounded perspective, but I was SHOCKED to discovered just how good the G50 3.2's are. My only complaint is I didn't drive this car earlier (only got it a few years ago).

Absolutely not the fastest car I've owned/driven, but WOW...if you're an enthusiast and want a "drivers car", the G50 911's are hard to beat. Perfect blend of old school, no computer nannies saving your butt from bad driving, yet still provides a 'modern' feel in the way of positive, lightning fast feedback and sure-footedness that instills confidence when driven well. If you like feedback and want to feel connected to the road via your car, this is a hard car to beat IMO. No doubt you know exactly what I'm talking about from your '88 ownership days.

I bought mine 2 years ago for $20K, and yet had multiple real offers from $35-39K of people begging me to sell in the last 6 months. Those that know, know. Best $20K I've EVER spent on a car hands down.

As for the #'s game, a staff writer for one of the big car mags summed it up perfectly years ago. He said, "If we didn't actually drive the cars to decide which one is the BEST drivers car, then any F1 race car could be considered the "best car". But there's more to a driving experience than just black & white acceleration, skidpads and braking #'s." That's SO true and I think more people should stop worrying about what's on paper and just get out and drive...then embrace the car that puts the biggest smile on your face.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:54 PM
moby33
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mikesanto70
The 911 and Vettes are 2 different animals, but if you want to talk 911's, the 2015 911 GT3 is the most kick *** drivers car on the planet, hands down!! I suggest you drive one!!! 991 GT3 that is!!
While I agree the GT3 is a very, very impressive machine, for people like me that absolutely demand a 3rd pedal, those paddle shifters are just not going to cut it. I'm bummed to see Porsche is following in Ferrari's footsteps and essentially killing off the MT. I fear that mentality & business model is eventually going to trickle down to all sports cars (even our beloved Vette).

Bottom line is the modern (and next gen) population of drivers either, 1) Can't drive a MT because they were never taught (or not taught well), or 2) They are so caught up in the #'s game, they must have a PDK because it's 0.02 seconds faster than the old "slow" MT. I always get a laugh out of #2 argument...as if ANY normal driver can really tell a difference.

In case you missed the theme of my other posts, I could care less about #'s but more about the driving experience. For me, that starts and ends w/ a MT. There's just something about slamming through gears, hitting perfect mesh of the gas & clutch and executing a perfect heal/toe downshift going into a tight corner that just can't be matched w/ my fingers playing w/ some paddles on a steering wheel. As I've said before, those that know, know!

I'm a little bummed as I doubt I'll ever own a GT3 (or modern turbo for that matter) because Porsche (and really, the customer base) decided there's just not a big enough market to put MT's in their top of the line models anymore. Sad, but true. Be careful Corvette Nation...I fear that mentality is slowly creeping into your world too. I wouldn't be surprised if the MT is long gone by the time I have gray hair and ready to retire (then again, maybe that will work out just fine for me as I'm sure my shot left knee will not be able to push a clutch pedal anymore in 30+ years).
Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

While I agree the GT3 is a very, very impressive machine, for people like me that absolutely demand a 3rd pedal, those paddle shifters are just not going to cut it. I'm bummed to see Porsche is following in Ferrari's footsteps and essentially killing off the MT. I fear that mentality & business model is eventually going to trickle down to all sports cars (even our beloved Vette).

Bottom line is the modern (and next gen) population of drivers either, 1) Can't drive a MT because they were never taught (or not taught well), or 2) They are so caught up in the #'s game, they must have a PDK because it's 0.02 seconds faster than the old "slow" MT. I always get a laugh out of #2 argument...as if ANY normal driver can really tell a difference.

In case you missed the theme of my other posts, I could care less about #'s but more about the driving experience. For me, that starts and ends w/ a MT. There's just something about slamming through gears, hitting perfect mesh of the gas & clutch and executing a perfect heal/toe downshift going into a tight corner that just can't be matched w/ my fingers playing w/ some paddles on a steering wheel. As I've said before, those that know, know!

I'm a little bummed as I doubt I'll ever own a GT3 (or modern turbo for that matter) because Porsche (and really, the customer base) decided there's just not a big enough market to put MT's in their top of the line models anymore. Sad, but true. Be careful Corvette Nation...I fear that mentality is slowly creeping into your world too. I wouldn't be surprised if the MT is long gone by the time I have gray hair and ready to retire (then again, maybe that will work out just fine for me as I'm sure my shot left knee will not be able to push a clutch pedal anymore in 30+ years).
Electric cars, hybrids, CVT's (loathe), 7 & 8 speed autos, dual clutch paddle shift, and SEMI's w/ AUTOS!!! - yeah I think the manual transmission is in the early stages of its death throws.

However, certain companies like subaru (hell yeah!), honda (on certain models), audi/vw, and such are still utilizing the MT quite a bit. All the muscle cars offer one, and I think I honestly don't think I'll live to see the day when the MT is pulled from the vette lineup, and I'm 33.

What is odd is that it actually costs less to manufacture, maintain, replace, and work on a manual tranny....so it is a little weird manufacturers of sports cars have been dropping them IMO. I think alot of it has to do w/ this "pussification of America" phenomenon where people are just too lazy or disinterested to learn to drive or bother driving a manual car. They want their speed handed to them on a platter while googling on their smart phone via bluetooth....

and all the above is EXACTLY why I really love my C5Z, & right now prefer it to all other vette models - right blend of some "new school" tech, while still being a very basic, very "old school" musclecar type vette. Can't be beat!
Old 09-14-2014, 03:28 PM
moby33
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
What is odd is that it actually costs less to manufacture, maintain, replace, and work on a manual tranny....so it is a little weird manufacturers of sports cars have been dropping them IMO. I think alot of it has to do w/ this "pussification of America" phenomenon where people are just too lazy or disinterested to learn to drive or bother driving a manual car. They want their speed handed to them on a platter while googling on their smart phone via bluetooth....
I think you're right, probably a little of everything. It always blows my mind when I see current stats of requested trans of sports cars that offer AT & MT...crazy to see the vast majority of them are ordered w/ AT.

I know the 911 Turbo lost the MT because resent sales showed single digit % requests for a MT. For drivers like us, we can't fathom that idea, but as a company, Porsche is simply giving their customer base what they are asking for. And years ago (don't have the exact stat) MT Vettes became the minority requested trans and as the years go on, that % continues to drop as more and more buyers request AT instead of MT.

I hope you're right that the MT will be around for many, many decades to come (if not forever), but if ALL car manufacturers eventually have less than 5% requesting MT, it's only a matter of time before they simply kill them off. If that's the case, it looks like us 30 something yr old drivers will be driving 30+ yr old cars when we retire. Oh well...
Old 09-14-2014, 11:52 PM
oicw
Racer

Sounds refreshing...maybe I should join (and buy a Miata). Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever spoken to a Miata owner (past or present) that didn't love that car.
Slightly OP, but the 2016 Miata is going to be one helluva ride in its class. 2300 lbs, 50/50 distribution, stiffer than before, 170ish hp 2.0 Skyactiv = a gokart in tight twisties.

Our Vettes are fun, but there're times where I don't need 400 - 700 hp. The Miata is perfect for those times, and my license agrees...
Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Z06 was A LOT faster in a straight line and i was more comfortable driving it hard but the 911 feels better. I havent found my comfortable limit in the 911 having only owned it for 6 months but the few times ive taken it in the twisties it has impressed. The steering feel and feedback in 911 is a lot better. And of course interior fit/finish is better as well.

I suspect the c7Z will follow suit. The performance will be better and the performance for price will unquestionably be better but if price was no object i would choose the 911 (unless i wanted a MT).
Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by oicw
Slightly OP, but the 2016 Miata is going to be one helluva ride in its class. 2300 lbs, 50/50 distribution, stiffer than before, 170ish hp 2.0 Skyactiv = a gokart in tight twisties.

Our Vettes are fun, but there're times where I don't need 400 - 700 hp. The Miata is perfect for those times, and my license agrees...
IMO, Miatas are great for arrive-and-drives, but I could never go to one from a 600 rwhp car on R6's. Most tracks where I run in the southeast aren't "tight twisties", and a Miata is a speed bump at tracks like Daytona-Rolex, Sebring, Road Atlanta, etc.. I don't drive on the street like I drive on the track, so the Miata is a no-benefit option to me.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Price versus Porsche 911

Old 09-15-2014, 02:10 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

84,000 base price for a 911? That is a joke. The 911 is perhaps the ugliest car made in the world. I just could not look at that car in my garage!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
GrantG
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rjwz28
The Z/28 is the least-expensive car you can get with OEM carbon ceramic brakes and the only car you can currently buy with OEM Multimatic DSSV shocks.
I think one of the top Aston-Martin models also uses those shocks. Hope they offer them on a version of the Vette sometime soon. Really top notch shocks on the Z06 would probably improve lap times on many technical tracks more than adding another 100hp.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oicw

Agreed, I had one back in the day and that car was one of the funnest cars I have owned. The problem now is I miss the power when merging or passing, but I could probably get used to it. On normal twisty roads it is hard to beat a Miata for fun, the 2016 even more so.

Quick Reply: Price versus Porsche 911