C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 Tested; 2015 Stingray Driven..NOT your Father's slushbox!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:04 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Default A8 Tested; 2015 Stingray Driven..NOT your Father's slushbox!!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...c_first_drive/

"Wide open throttle second-to-third upshifts are 0.08 seconds quicker than those of its benchmark, Porsche’s seven-speed PDK, says Kaveh (0.45 vs. 0.53). Downshifts from WOT at 60 mph in Sport mode are just as quick (0.95 seconds) too. The PDK also nips at the Hydra-Matic’s heels during WOT first-to-second upshifts (0.49 vs. 0.52)."

"To experience the gearbox’s character, Chevrolet set us loose on its 2.9-mile twisty, undulating, blind-corner-filled track at the Milford Proving Grounds. Nil-to-wee sprints in Track mode, automatic shifts, were quite telling: The gearbox knocked off gears at its indicated 6500 rpm abruptly, spectacularly, with an accompanying violent explosion that only a 6.2-liter V-8 with quad pipes could produce. As corners neared, downshifts were again crisp. Deep inside corners, gears held with no moments of confusion or hesitation — it was as if the CPU was more intuitive than reactive; more organic than robotic — which ballooned my confidence and allowed me to pinpoint the longish nose."

"While Chevy’s numbers beg to differ, the 8L90 in Track mode simply didn't feel as quick as the PDK when operated via its plastic paddles. Don’t get me wrong, clicking off a WOT upshift is a glorious, stupidly fast affair. It is much the same for downshifts. Yet, Porsche, with its well-honed cohesion of an extra clutch and different structural packaging, still has the upper hand in smoothness and feel while on track. Even still, the 8L90 was impressive, especially when off the track. We drove more than 40 miles in highway and city settings around Milford. Smoothness was the name of its game. Intuitiveness was too. Multi-step highway passes in automatic mode required no pauses on its part. The ‘Vette just flew. Then it calmly upshifted into a gear best suited for casual cruising. "

thecorvettemechanic.com tech talk about this transmissions.... 25 minutes
http://www.thecorvettemechanic.com/f...odcast0140.mp3

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...peed-lead.html

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ic-first-drive

"We only caught the new transmission hunting once in about 12 laps on the difficult course, and that could have been our fault with sloppy pedal work -- feathering the gas when we should be flooring it, or the other way around. It is a little unsettling seeing the shift lights on the dash flashing, which means “shift,” while and transmission just hangs in gear and the exhaust wails at full rpm.Once your driving has settled down off the track, the eight-speed automatically adjusts back into “street mode.”After driving three high-powered cars with eight-speed, torque-converter automatics (Challenger SRT Hellcat, Jaguar F-Type R and now the Corvette), we can say the newest models are every bit as good as the dual-clutch setups. They can shift as fast, feel smoother and aren’t rough on low-speed launches like many of the performance-oriented DCTs on the market, giving you all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages."

Here is another review from Autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/20/2...ew-quick-spin/

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...view-4080.html

"To begin my first lap, I did what any red-blooded car lover would do when given the keys to a brand new Corvette; I mashed the accelerator pedal. Instantly the car leapt forward in a V8 snarling furry. There is no hesitation or torque converter delay with the new eight-speed automatic – just instant response. As I accelerated toward the first corner at well over 100 MPH, upshifts were firing off lightning quick, just as advertised.

As I approached the first corner, standing on the brakes, the engine begins to do near redline, rev-matching downshifts. True I’m running in “Track” mode, but there is no other input from me. The car just acts like it’s supposed to on a track, firing through the gears as needed. I run another five shaky laps trying to figure out the undulating, challenging course. During this time I’m anything but smooth, but the transmission is only caught out in the wrong gear twice and both times for less than a second.

Needless to say the new eight-speed automatic works at the track, but this should come with a caveat – don’t touch the paddles. The software engineering has been so well sorted out that the computer is calling for gears in advance to the driver actually needing them, so when the change occurs it’s at the exact right moment. Since this is a “regular” automatic, using the paddle shifters to “manually” select a gear is followed by a lengthy delay.

It’s the one thing a conventional automatic cannot match compared to a dual clutch transmission (DCT), the response time from a driver’s input to the physical gear change. Sure the new eight-speed can change gears lightning quick, but a DCT has already pre-loaded the next gear and can react to a new input much faster. I will say that response time does feel quicker from the Corvette’s eight-speed automatic than the eight-speed autos I’ve recently sampled, including in the Jaguar F-Type."

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/08/...e-first-drive/

Here is the YouTube video of Manoli Katakis driving the Stingray with the A8 in Drive Mode. This video has been discussed. But the question remained......

Q. But Manoli what about the manual paddle shift mode?

A. Manoli Katakis responds:

"Not for this recorded run. For the sake of the demonstration, I wanted to show how well the transmission thought on its own. I did use the paddles on an earlier run. It was more fun, and incredibly sharp."

Click the top of the video to go to the YouTube page and read the comments section.

Attached Images  

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 08-22-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:07 AM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default WoW

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06

"Wide open throttle second-to-third upshifts are 0.08 seconds quicker than those of its benchmark, Porsche’s seven-speed PDK, says Kaveh (0.45 vs. 0.53). Downshifts from WOT at 60 mph in Sport mode are just as quick (0.95 seconds) too. The PDK also nips at the Hydra-Matic’s heels during WOT first-to-second upshifts (0.49 vs. 0.52)."

"To experience the gearbox’s character, Chevrolet set us loose on its 2.9-mile twisty, undulating, blind-corner-filled track at the Milford Proving Grounds. Nil-to-wee sprints in Track mode, automatic shifts, were quite telling: The gearbox knocked off gears at its indicated 6500 rpm abruptly, spectacularly, with an accompanying violent explosion that only a 6.2-liter V-8 with quad pipes could produce. As corners neared, downshifts were again crisp. Deep inside corners, gears held with no moments of confusion or hesitation — it was as if the CPU was more intuitive than reactive; more organic than robotic — which ballooned my confidence and allowed me to pinpoint the longish nose."

"While Chevy’s numbers beg to differ, the 8L90 in Track mode simply didn't feel as quick as the PDK when operated via its plastic paddles. Don’t get me wrong, clicking off a WOT upshift is a glorious, stupidly fast affair. It is much the same for downshifts. Yet, Porsche, with its well-honed cohesion of an extra clutch and different structural packaging, still has the upper hand in smoothness and feel while on track. Even still, the 8L90 was impressive, especially when off the track. We drove more than 40 miles in highway and city settings around Milford. Smoothness was the name of its game. Intuitiveness was too. Multi-step highway passes in automatic mode required no pauses on its part. The ‘Vette just flew. Then it calmly upshifted into a gear best suited for casual cruising. "
Salivating over it.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

The Z is going to be an absolute animal with this trans.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:32 AM
jklein7
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

At the risk of sounding stupid. How do you paddle shift. Never had a car with paddle shifter. Will the A8 be faster paddle shifted or just left in D?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Great job and kudos to the Corvette engineering teams! Can't wait to try it out and get mine!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
Yep!! Cant wait to see the performance numbers released!

Originally Posted by jklein7
At the risk of sounding stupid. How do you paddle shift. Never had a car with paddle shifter. Will the A8 be faster paddle shifted or just left in D?
You pull (or push) a paddle mounted behind the steering wheel to shift up (or down) a gear.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jklein7
The computer is faster and more accurate than you... It shifts very well in auto for the A6, and should be even better in this new A8. Rev matching works great in Sport and Track mode, both up and down.
The following users liked this post:
Har-ray (11-12-2016)
Old 08-20-2014, 11:58 AM
thelongwait
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks bobszo6 for the report on the a8, it sounds good so far, I am still torn but the a8 makes alot of sense, just personal preferences mostly, I dont plan on racing mine and i have some concerns about getting bored with the a8 but it sounds awesome !
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I plan on the Auto Z06, for a few reasons. But, comparing to Porsche is a bit of a show.

Porsche has done a lot of work with their PDK, if the Z06 can hold up as well as this:

I'll be impressed.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,291 Likes on 525 Posts

Very nice info!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:17 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06

thecorvettemechanic.com tech talk about this transmissions.... 25 minutes
http://www.thecorvettemechanic.com/f...odcast0140.mp3

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...peed-lead.html

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...ic-first-drive

"We only caught the new transmission hunting once in about 12 laps on the difficult course, and that could have been our fault with sloppy pedal work -- feathering the gas when we should be flooring it, or the other way around. It is a little unsettling seeing the shift lights on the dash flashing, which means “shift,” while and transmission just hangs in gear and the exhaust wails at full rpm.Once your driving has settled down off the track, the eight-speed automatically adjusts back into “street mode.”After driving three high-powered cars with eight-speed, torque-converter automatics (Challenger SRT Hellcat, Jaguar F-Type R and now the Corvette), we can say the newest models are every bit as good as the dual-clutch setups. They can shift as fast, feel smoother and aren’t rough on low-speed launches like many of the performance-oriented DCTs on the market, giving you all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages."
Sorry but someone has to explain how are those figures (in bold above) impressive and how were they calculated? Im asking because even a bone stock 6l80 shifts quicker than that (based on calculated shift times in millisecond on hptuners), and a tuned 6l80 transmission could be made to shift in 50ms too but im not sure how long it will last at that point. Now the Porsches on the other hand claim to shift in quicker than 150ms with the PDK, and quicker than 100ms with the PDKS (on the 991 GT3 models), the generation old GTR shifts in 200ms and so on, top of the line Ferrari's however shift in about 40-50ms.

Can someone explain this?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM
sahowley
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the Z be a sub 3 sec car, maybe 2.8 to 60mph? What do y'all think? I'm still going with a 7sp. The auto I have in my c7 is just too boring and heat issues @ track stink. I'm sure the 8 sd will fix this, but I don't want to risk it. I can't keep buying cars every 2 yrs if I want to keep my wife.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Downshifts that crack off like a DCT? Well then. I'd still have a third pedal for my own personal fun factor, but this sounds excellent and I'd certainly love to try it out.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Ching Ho
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sahowley
Will the Z be a sub 3 sec car, maybe 2.8 to 60mph? What do y'all think? I'm still going with a 7sp. The auto I have in my c7 is just too boring and heat issues @ track stink. I'm sure the 8 sd will fix this, but I don't want to risk it. I can't keep buying cars every 2 yrs if I want to keep my wife.
No way. Here's my guesstimate:

The ZR-1 was 3.4 sec 0-60. Subtract 0.2 for the new A8. The extra weight won't matter as much as it's already traction limited and has 6.5% more torque to offset the 3.5% weight increase.

3.2sec 0-60, that's it!

To get into the 2's you need AWD or some sort of transmission-destroying clutch dump gimmick ala Huracan. And 3.2's perfectly fine, that's Huracan & Ferrari 458 Italia territory.

Last edited by Ching Ho; 08-20-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
I hope so!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

That video of the guy launching the Porche was awesome. lol dadadadadadadadad peace
Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ching Ho
No way. Here's my guesstimate:

The ZR-1 was 3.4 sec 0-60. Subtract 0.2 for the new A8. The extra weight won't matter as much as it's already traction limited and has 6.5% more torque to offset the 3.5% weight increase.

3.2sec 0-60, that's it!

To get into the 2's you need AWD or some sort of transmission-destroying clutch dump gimmick ala Huracan. And 3.2's perfectly fine, that's Huracan & Ferrari 458 Italia territory.
Huracan is currently AWD only.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Tested; 2015 Stingray Driven..NOT your Father's slushbox!!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by harlold
I plan on the Auto Z06, for a few reasons. But, comparing to Porsche is a bit of a show.

Porsche has done a lot of work with their PDK, if the Z06 can hold up as well as this:

Proof that the 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S is unbreakable - YouTube

I'll be impressed.
While the engineering is incredibly impressive in that video, its still testing done on what is pretty much a new car. The part that is still up for questioning.. is how well will that transmission hold up after a few years. I'd be much more impressed by demonstration on a 911TS that has 60,000 miles on clock.. that I am with one that probably has 1,000. I've heard of quite a few GTR's needing transmission rebuilds/replacements after only 20,000 miles.

Either way kudos to Porsche for such great engineering. And will be interesting to see just how well the PDK stands up to that much power over that many years/miles of driving.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

So, it's the best ever, except for this:

"While Chevy’s numbers beg to differ, the 8L90 in Track mode simply didn't feel as quick as the PDK when operated via its plastic paddles. Don’t get me wrong, clicking off a WOT upshift is a glorious, stupidly fast affair. It is much the same for downshifts. Yet, Porsche, with its well-honed cohesion of an extra clutch and different structural packaging, still has the upper hand in smoothness and feel while on track."

I see, so the one place where it really matters, it isn't as good….

But none the less:

"After driving three high-powered cars with eight-speed, torque-converter automatics (Challenger SRT Hellcat, Jaguar F-Type R and now the Corvette), we can say the newest models are every bit as good as the dual-clutch setups."

a bit contradictive
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
So, it's the best ever, except for this:

"While Chevy’s numbers beg to differ, the 8L90 in Track mode simply didn't feel as quick as the PDK when operated via its plastic paddles. Don’t get me wrong, clicking off a WOT upshift is a glorious, stupidly fast affair. It is much the same for downshifts. Yet, Porsche, with its well-honed cohesion of an extra clutch and different structural packaging, still has the upper hand in smoothness and feel while on track."

I see, so the one place where it really matters, it isn't as good….

But none the less:

"After driving three high-powered cars with eight-speed, torque-converter automatics (Challenger SRT Hellcat, Jaguar F-Type R and now the Corvette), we can say the newest models are every bit as good as the dual-clutch setups."

a bit contradictive

They said that with the paddle shifters is slower but in full Auto is right there with the DCT.

Quick Reply: A8 Tested; 2015 Stingray Driven..NOT your Father's slushbox!!