C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How is it possible for GM to give a warranty on the ZO7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
^ Yes but they've been doing that since the C6 days. Not sure what that has to do with warrantying race track non-racing use.
Well, ownerswho 'track' their cars tend be performance oriented people. Performance oriented people look to increase performance more so than non performance oriented people.

headers, intake, tune is usualy how it starts.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about chevrolet but other manufacturers will honor the warranty if the mods you do are approved by them and performed by the dealer.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:53 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
Ok, so what happens if I "track it" on the weekend, and later in the week something breaks.

If GM were to ask me if I raced it and I said "yes, last weekend" will they deny my claim for something that broke at a later date?
Nobody on this forum, as far I know, has the ability to tell you what would happen to the GM warranty under the circumstance you describe. Statements like "if it's not a timed event", or "if you haven't modified the car" they will honor the warranty don't have any value other than temping you to do something you might regret. The people on this forum are trying to be helpful, but their opinion carries no value in a warranty fight.

My best advice to you is this, ask the GM warranty people about your question above? Ask them if the racing event isn't a timed event, or if you haven't modified your car, will they honor the warranty? If you are afraid to ask them, maybe you shouldn't be doing it.

Here's the bottom line, GM isn't in the business of unknowingly sponsoring amateur racing programs and will fight like hell in paying warranty claims for such. They sometimes will fight you in paying legitimate claims.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 08z blew the engine at redline doing 125 or so. They put a new engine in it.
How can they prove you were racing when the capability of the car is 200 mph +
Old 05-18-2014, 04:50 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So if they end up covering unmodded cars running HPDE events on stock tires, I wonder how changing brake pads and fluid will affect warranty coverage since that is really not considered a mod, right?

Also, the automatic should eliminate the possibility of over-revs completely, correct?

Last edited by Dr Chill; 05-18-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:29 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the 991 GT3 as an example, if you drive it on a racetrack you can kiss your warrantee's *** goodbye, and that's a hardcore track car.

Also if im not mistaken GM made it very clear that they will cover the Z/28 for any damage incurred at the track.

I guess the only way to really know is to ask a dealership for more info from GM on the warrantee coverage.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Because .05 percent of the owners will ever file a track related warranty claim.

First you cannot RACE a factory car as it sits. No safety equipment first of all, so that solves the warranty issue because once you start putting safety equipment on it your making big changes.

Second HPDE's as many have said, is not racing, and the power train is very resilient.

I would like to know if R Compound tires, even like 888's would void the warranty. The Z51 C7 as it sits with better pads and 888's would be a blast.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

This how it worked for me. The engine in my 08Z dropped a valve while I was at the Glen. Happened while the engine rpms were right at 6800 rpms speed was just short of 120 mph in 3rd. Took the car to the dealer and they read the ECM and sent the data to GM. The engine threw a manifold air pressure failure code when the valve dropped. They knew at what rpms the code was thrown and what speed the car was going. As with all high dollar repairs the GM Rep had to approve the warranty claim. When he saw the car the street tires were on it, a harness bar with shoulder belts attached was mounted behind the seats, car was covered in brake dust and rubber smears from track turds and there were Wilwood calipers on the front. Rep understood the car was tracked. He wrote on the repair order Authorize 1 time Goodwill replacement for potential non warranty repair. The rules are take the car in and tell them it is broken and then keep your mouth shut. Don't be an A Hole by making all sorts of derogatory comments, don't threaten getting a lawyer involved just let the process work. I knew of 8 other engines failing the same way and they were all covered by GM. Seven of those were repaired at dealerships scattered around upstate NY and 1 was repaired in Toronto, CA.

Bill
Old 05-20-2014, 12:56 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SMFCPACFP
The answer to your question is simple. The warranty will exclude racing as it always has. If you lie and say your weren't racing when you were and damaged your car, that is fraud. Fraud is a crime. Are you ready to go to jail?

I plan to buy a new Z06 and don't plan to race it, so the warranty will be nice.
HPDE, autocross events, exhibition stuff isn't racing, and it takes place often at a racetrack. Sanctioned racing is racing. They aren't demanding you drive your car like a ****, they are just eliminating covering the pounding of 10/10ths racing.

Your interpretation is skewed. If you don't modify the car, in order to void your warranty, you have every right to drive it to its limit to enjoy the technology you've paid good money for. It's when people put aftermarket tunes, alter hp levels, etc that problems occur. If you leave the car DEAD STOCK from a hp/power delivery perspective, you can drive the **** out of it and they will cover it, should the unlikely occur.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:33 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
So if they end up covering unmodded cars running HPDE events on stock tires, I wonder how changing brake pads and fluid will affect warranty coverage since that is really not considered a mod, right?

Also, the automatic should eliminate the possibility of over-revs completely, correct?
1) brake fluid and brake pads are covered under Magnuson-Moss warranty act, just like your oil filter is... replacement stock parts. I suspect tires would be in there too as long as they are DOT approved and of the same size (hence why they can't nail you if you choose to run Bridgstons over Michelins for example)

2) auto and over rev, that depends if the tcm would let you manually do it. Chances are, it won't allow a downshift if the lower gear puts you at or above the rev limiter... at least i would hope the engineers set it up that way... but if they didn't you can over-rev it too.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 AM
S.U. Vette
Pro

If they will cover the Z28, I don't see why they wont cover the Z06.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/warran...let-camaro-z28
Old 05-20-2014, 10:05 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The rules are take the car in and tell them it is broken and then keep your mouth shut.
Good advice....
Old 05-20-2014, 11:22 AM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
High performance driving events are not racing. They are not timed. Failure in these environments would be covered. Been that way for a long time. I was at one of the forum Cruise-Ins back when the C6 was first released and had a chat about it with Corvette's head engineer at the time Dave Hill.

Drag racing... well that's a different story... I'd probably clean the time slips out of the center console before taking it to the dealer
You nailed it. Unless it's a timed event it's not considered racing. I wrecked my z06 at Laguna seca during a HPDE it wasn't timed. All state completely covered my car and towed it from Laguna seca. Drag racing well thats different...
Old 05-20-2014, 03:16 PM
HHughes1
Instructor

Word of warning for all. Despite what you read on the forums, if you have a mechanical failure or crash while on a track designed for racing, you stand the potential for denied coverage. Insurance companies in particular have been incorporating specific language to exclude anything that takes place at a race track. Denial of warranty coverage seems like BS considering how much of their advertising is track specific but you have to admit running a car as a weekend track warrior will create much more stress than any street environment can replicate. Failure will eventually happen.

Quick Reply: How is it possible for GM to give a warranty on the ZO7?