C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Will the new Z06 get the same crappy orange peel paint Stingray has been getting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Default Will the new Z06 get the same crappy orange peel paint Stingray has been getting?

After having the opportunity to visually inspect, in person, two dozen C7s, I can count literally on one hand the number of them that had an acceptable paint finish (interestingly one of those was an early build), or even a paint finish as good as the three C6s I’ve owned, with regard to orange peel. The rest of them ranged from bad to horrible to embarrassingly horrible. And I’m not talking about orange peel discernible under fluorescent lighting at certain angles, etc. Several of these Stingrays had orange peel so bad as to be repugnantly obvious from 20-30 feet away while walking toward the car.

I know this topic has been broached in the C7 gen section. Reactions over there range from “not an issue” to “all cars have it” to “how dare you criticize the C7” and everything in between. The fact of the matter is not all cars produced have orange peel to the degree the C7 Stingray is getting produced with. Inexpensive cars from Korean manufactures have better paint, and GM itself builds other models with far better paint than the C7 Stingray is getting. Some of the C7 Stingrays themselves have been built with good paint. The fact of the matter is so far there is zero consistency to the Stingray paint jobs coming out of Bowling Green, and many of them are rolling out with an embarrassing level of orange peel. Right now it’s a crap shoot whether your ordered car will show up with a good finish or not and it appears the cars with a good finish are the minority.

So curious what the gang in here thinks GM will do with this issue with the new Z06 on the way – a car that optioned out will likely be a six figure car or close to it. Obviously the same paint line is going to be used to paint the new Z as is used to currently apply the embarrassing paint jobs on the Stingray. So, do folks think GM will fix this prior to the Z going into production? Has anybody heard any statements from the folks on the Corvette team acknowledging this problem? Or what their plan is to fix it? Or the timing of their plan?

I’m number 3 on a forum dealer’s list for a ’15 Z, and you won’t find a bigger fan of Corvette than me, but I have to say the lousy paint some of the Stingrays are getting is not confidence inspiring. Bad enough this is happening on the Stingray, but if GM rolls out the new Z with paint jobs like they’re putting on the Stingray, not only will they fail to acquire many conquest sales to Porsche, GTR, BMW etc customers, but such will be a public black eye on the Z which will get discussed perhaps even in the rags.

I doubt absent improvement of the Stingray’s paint that GM is going to avoid eventual open, widespread criticism of the issue. And on a 100k Z06, I’m fairly certain GM won’t get a pass on it for that car.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

My bet is they are painted side by side. If they improve the Stingray then the Z06 will improve. If they don't... well...

I've seen 3 Stingray's and they all had minimal orange peel. Maybe they take more care with Canadian cars
Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gthal
My bet is they are painted side by side. If they improve the Stingray then the Z06 will improve. If they don't... well...

I've seen 3 Stingray's and they all had minimal orange peel. Maybe they take more care with Canadian cars

Yeah, we don't want you chaps getting pissed and invading us. So they have to keep you guys happy.

I agree the quality will be tied to the Stingray as they get painted on the same line. I'm just wondering if they are trying to improve Stingray's paint, or whether with the new Z coming - a likely six figure car - that perhaps that might drive/force some improvements.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Yeah, we don't want you chaps getting pissed and invading us. So they have to keep you guys happy.
Our military wouldn't be big enough to take on the NY city police force... the US is safe from Canadian wrath for the foreseeable future. But I'm glad there is a healthy dose of fear regardless
Old 05-09-2014, 12:32 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

I agree 100% with the OP. The awful paint quality on these halo vehicles is terrible. If the Paint Shop manager can't fix this at BG, then he/she needs to be replaced pdq. If my ordered Z shows up with massive orange peel, runs, etc I will refuse to take delivery.
Bish
Old 05-09-2014, 12:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Those robots don't have a clue as to which car those body panels are going on.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:50 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy shoulda named the new 2015 color "Florida Orange" and up charged $900 for " realistic texture coat " ...easy money !
Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
Chevy shoulda named the new 2015 color "Florida Orange" and up charged $900 for " realistic texture coat " ...easy money !
Marketing genius.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Those robots don't have a clue as to which car those body panels are going on.
Yup.

GM needs to step up its game on the paint finish with Stingray - and it even more so with the Z coming. As you note, they all get painted by the same line.

If criticism of the Stingray's paint alone isn't enough to prod improvement, perhaps the new Z coming will prod some tweaking/improvement of the paint system.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:06 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Yup.

GM needs to step up its game on the paint finish with Stingray - and it even more so with the Z coming. As you note, they all get painted by the same line.

If criticism of the Stingray's paint alone isn't enough to prod improvement, perhaps the new Z coming will prod some tweaking/improvement of the paint system.
Not saying you're right or wrong but don't expect GM to eat the cost of Viper quality paint. Then we will have threads complaining about the extra 10k on the price tag not worth the show paint. No free lunch....
Old 05-09-2014, 03:28 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Not saying you're right or wrong but don't expect GM to eat the cost of Viper quality paint. Then we will have threads complaining about the extra 10k on the price tag not worth the show paint. No free lunch....
I hear ya. I can't speak for everybody else, obviously, but if I'm dropping 100k on a new Z, I'd be willing to pay extra to get a good finish to go along with the car's world class performance.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
did you see that MythBusters episode where they made a car with golfball-like dimples and as it turned out it actually did get improved gas mileage?

maybe they're working on some such real world research to see if orange peel has similar properties to exploit.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

I hear ya. I can't speak for everybody else, obviously, but if I'm dropping 100k on a new Z, I'd be willing to pay extra to get a good finish to go along with the car's world class performance.
You make a great point. If someone is dropping 100K on a toy like this, an extra 10 grand won't hurt them one bit, they probably won't even know it's gone. It's good for a chuckle seeing those complaining about that extra few thousand, eventhough they can "easily" afford a Z06. When the time comes and you know those balk threads are coming from our resident ballers complaining about paying msrp on the Z06.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:54 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Our new Tahoe has a beautiful paint job my c7 is the same as my c5, not good. It is either bowling green or the plastic body panels.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:08 PM
rrm
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Our new Tahoe has a beautiful paint job my c7 is the same as my c5, not good. It is either bowling green or the plastic body panels.
My last vette was an '09 ZO6 and it had a terrific paint job. I wish some one could post a picture of one of the "bad" paint jobs so we can see for ourselves....rrm
Old 05-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Easy fix for this, pay a high end detail guy to wet sand the car to get the perfect finish you seek.

It will cost you a whole lot less than $10k
Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Matt26
Easy fix for this, pay a high end detail guy to wet sand the car to get the perfect finish you seek.

It will cost you a whole lot less than $10k

I've got a great detail guy that does work for the local Porsche club and Vette clubs, and he can certainly do this. He is very good at it. I'd rather not have to, tho, and take thickness off the paint finish on the car. I'd rather be able to simply buy a new Z06 that has a decent paint job (and factory level paint thickness) from the get-go.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the new Z06 get the same crappy orange peel paint Stingray has been getting?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I've got a great detail guy that does work for the local Porsche club and Vette clubs, and he can certainly do this. He is very good at it. I'd rather not have to, tho, and take thickness off the paint finish on the car. I'd rather be able to simply buy a new Z06 that has a decent paint job (and factory level paint thickness) from the get-go.

Exactly!!....I said this on here before if my C7 Z06 comes in looking like the 3 C7's I've seen already they are either fixing it or they can keep it and I'll hold on to my near flawless paint quality ZR1...this is a darn embarrassment what GM is doing to such a beautiful car.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Exactly!!....I said this on here before if my C7 Z06 comes in looking like the 3 C7's I've seen already they are either fixing it or they can keep it and I'll hold on to my near flawless paint quality ZR1...this is a darn embarrassment what GM is doing to such a beautiful car.
I agree. GM should have enough pride in the work they do to produce a QUALITY product. I do not feel it should be an extra expense or charge to the customer.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by svtkeith
So orange peel in the paint is more important to you than rest of the car (performance, handling, comfort, interior design and quality, etc)?

I don't get this personally. I would take the better car over the lesser car (overall) even if the paint wasn't as nice. To be clear, I'm not saying they shouldn't make the paint perfect. I'm saying that the C7 Z06 will be, IMO, a significantly better overall car but you would choose the one with dated technology, dated interior, likely handles worse because of paint? The C7 Z06 will likely be one of the most capable cars available regardless of price when it comes out but you would not buy it because of OP? To me, that makes zero sense. When you are driving the Z06 at the track or on a deserted back road at speed you can't even see the damn paint!

I can see it now... Me... "Hey honey, I bought a new car!" Wife... "Did you buy that really awesome performing Z06 you talk about?" Me... "Nope, I bought a car that wasn't as capable because the paint was a bit better." Wife... "Have you lost your F'ing mind?!?"

Edit: P.S. I'm not judging you for that but I just can't get my head wrapped around it.

Last edited by gthal; 05-09-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Will the new Z06 get the same crappy orange peel paint Stingray has been getting?