C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Will the new Z06 get the same crappy orange peel paint Stingray has been getting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:58 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crappy paint matches the crappy build quality
Old 05-09-2014, 11:36 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Yeah, right.

I had way more issues with my 2012 C63 coupe than my Stingray. There was not magic is the build quality of the C63... in my experience, the C7 has been as good or better.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:45 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
So orange peel in the paint is more important to you than rest of the car (performance, handling, comfort, interior design and quality, etc)?

I don't get this personally. I would take the better car over the lesser car (overall) even if the paint wasn't as nice. To be clear, I'm not saying they shouldn't make the paint perfect. I'm saying that the C7 Z06 will be, IMO, a significantly better overall car but you would choose the one with dated technology, dated interior, likely handles worse because of paint? The C7 Z06 will likely be one of the most capable cars available regardless of price when it comes out but you would not buy it because of OP? To me, that makes zero sense. When you are driving the Z06 at the track or on a deserted back road at speed you can't even see the damn paint!

I can see it now... Me... "Hey honey, I bought a new car!" Wife... "Did you buy that really awesome performing Z06 you talk about?" Me... "Nope, I bought a car that wasn't as capable because the paint was a bit better." Wife... "Have you lost your F'ing mind?!?"

Edit: P.S. I'm not judging you for that but I just can't get my head wrapped around it.

That's right the paint quality means that much to me as it should to all IMO...I enjoy the cars performance but I also enjoy polishing and waxing my car to make it look beautiful and I take pride in doing that..personally opposite to how you think I can't get my head wrapped around how so many people can over look a crappy paint job on such a car hell I can't except it on my DD let alone my pride and joy ride there's no reason why we can't enjoy the best of both worlds enjoy the performance and enjoy the finish of the car...nothing turns me off more to a nice car when you see it from a distance and it looks beautiful then you walk up to the car and the paint looks like crap I see it all the time at car shows..
Old 05-10-2014, 07:04 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Originally Posted by svtkeith
That's right the paint quality means that much to me as it should to all IMO...I enjoy the cars performance but I also enjoy polishing and waxing my car to make it look beautiful and I take pride in doing that..personally opposite to how you think I can't get my head wrapped around how so many people can over look a crappy paint job on such a car hell I can't except it on my DD let alone my pride and joy ride there's no reason why we can't enjoy the best of both worlds enjoy the performance and enjoy the finish of the car...nothing turns me off more to a nice car when you see it from a distance and it looks beautiful then you walk up to the car and the paint looks like crap I see it all the time at car shows..
Don't get me wrong... getting the best of both worlds is what everyone wants. However, I buy a performance car for its "performance" first, and foremost... the paint would be a secondary consideration.

If the car is a showcar type for the owner... as you suggest... then the order of importance might clearly be different. I guess the fundamental difference, and reason for my personal confusion, is I buy performance cars for their ability and the driving experience first and that would be ESPECIALLY true with the Z06. Paint would only matter to me when considering cars that are equal in every other performance respect first. I buy'em to drive'em. I guess, in the end, I don't agree that the paint quality should matter "that" much to all. I'm not suggesting it isn't important and if my C7 had really crappy paint it would annoy me (but I'd just fix it) but it wouldn't stop me for buying a car where the performance is the primary decision factor... it is a sports car after all . If I was buying an S Class Mercedes or a collectible car, then it might matter more, I guess.

If I wanted a show car type car, I would buy a show car type car Not a sports car that is designed and meant to be driven hard... my car would have paint flaws over time anyway just from how I use it whether it was perfect from the factory or not

I think this is the "buy it to go" or "buy it to show" scenario. There is no right answer to that as it is based on the person spending the money and what they want. I'm a "buy it to go" type of guy when it comes to cars in the performance ranges of Z06s, etc.

Last edited by gthal; 05-10-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gthal
Don't get me wrong... getting the best of both worlds is what everyone wants. However, I buy a performance car for its "performance" first, and foremost... the paint would be a secondary consideration.

If the car is a showcar type for the owner... as you suggest... then the order of importance might clearly be different. I guess the fundamental difference, and reason for my personal confusion, is I buy performance cars for their ability and the driving experience first and that would be ESPECIALLY true with the Z06. Paint would only matter to me when considering cars that are equal in every other performance respect first. I buy'em to drive'em. I guess, in the end, I don't agree that the paint quality should matter "that" much to all. I'm not suggesting it isn't important and if my C7 had really crappy paint it would annoy me (but I'd just fix it) but it wouldn't stop me for buying a car where the performance is the primary decision factor... it is a sports car after all . If I was buying an S Class Mercedes or a collectible car, then it might matter more, I guess.

If I wanted a show car type car, I would buy a show car type car Not a sports car that is designed and meant to be driven hard... my car would have paint flaws over time anyway just from how I use it whether it was perfect from the factory or not

So you think we can't have the best of both worlds ?...I never put mine in a car show I also drive mine and love the power..please don't take this as an attack on you I respect that you buy a car like this just for the performance so any finish should be ok for you according to what you want the car for they could leave it just primer coat right ?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 AM
gthal
Safety Car

So you think we can't have the best of both worlds ?...I never put mine in a car show I also drive mine and love the power..please don't take this as an attack on you I respect that you buy a car like this just for the performance so any finish should be ok for you according to what you want the car for they could leave it just primer coat right ?
I never said paint quality wouldn't matter. I said it would be a secondary consideration. It does matter and we should have both. The reality is whether we "should" have the best of both worlds, we may not and, in that case, I still wouldn't pass up a Z06 because the paint was less than perfect.

We should have best of both worlds. However, if we don't, my decision to buy is still first and foremost performance and price. If there were two equally performing cars, with great interiors and in a reasonable price band to one another THEN paint might decide it for me.

This is all about the factors that come into the buying decision for each person. My priority list is just a bit different than yours

P.S. If the Z06 had the same paint quality as my TR C7, I'm betting you would be happy. Maybe I'm just lucky with my car and its finish and maybe I'd be grumpier about it if I had one of the very bad cars?

Last edited by gthal; 05-10-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:34 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

The build quality is very good thru out my car, the paint is the only area I would like to be a little better...even with primer it would be a great car.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:50 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Good luck finding a 25 year 150k mile old Mercedes that hasn't had major work done.
Build Quality is not Fancy Interior. Which is something almost Every Single German Car Fan mistakes it for.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:12 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

I wonder with the increased production of the C7, if this issue might even escalate? Get those cars through that paint line faster....throw it on thick and fast.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:29 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive seen a few C7s up close, they looked HORRIBLE paint wise. Wonder if anyone has seen the new C7Z up close and can comment on the paint quality?
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I remembered threads like this one while parked next to a Porsche Panamera a few days ago. The factory paint was seriously orange peeled down its whole $100,000 side, vastly worse than my C6. I guess the paint robot was hung over that Monday morning. Orange peel is an industry-wide problem, not just a Chevy problem.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:44 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Ive seen a few C7s up close, they looked HORRIBLE paint wise. Wonder if anyone has seen the new C7Z up close and can comment on the paint quality?

I saw 3 so far and 2 were horrible 1 of them was not as bad as the others but not what I'd call good by no means.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:36 PM
CORVETTEZL1001
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

They will have the same paint quality.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:56 PM
93LT1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
I remembered threads like this one while parked next to a Porsche Panamera a few days ago. The factory paint was seriously orange peeled down its whole $100,000 side, vastly worse than my C6. I guess the paint robot was hung over that Monday morning. Orange peel is an industry-wide problem, not just a Chevy problem.

And yet GM itself (as well as other manufacturers) builds cars currently with better paint finish than what a lot of C7 Stingrays are getting.

I get the fact that some other cars have orange peel issues. I even get the fact that some of those other affected cars are expensive models. Guess what? I don't a give a damn. And the reason is that it is no excuse. Particularly when GM currently builds other models with paint superior to the C7, and in fact even manages to spit out a few C7s with decent paint. Bowling Green needs to get the consistency nailed down.

The industry may in fact be currently struggling with this as an issue on an across-the-board fashion. However, GM and other manufacturers are producing other models with better paint than the Stingray. I don't think it's too much to ask the Stingray (and the new Z06 in particular), to have a good paint job.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Foot on the floor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
And yet GM itself (as well as other manufacturers) builds cars currently with better paint finish than what a lot of C7 Stingrays are getting.

I get the fact that some other cars have orange peel issues. I even get the fact that some of those other affected cars are expensive models. Guess what? I don't a give a damn. And the reason is that it is no excuse. Particularly when GM currently builds other models with paint superior to the C7, and in fact even manages to spit out a few C7s with decent paint. Bowling Green needs to get the consistency nailed down.

The industry may in fact be currently struggling with this as an issue on an across-the-board fashion. However, GM and other manufacturers are producing other models with better paint than the Stingray. I don't think it's too much to ask the Stingray (and the new Z06 in particular), to have a good paint job.
Very true.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:48 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt26
Easy fix for this, pay a high end detail guy to wet sand the car to get the perfect finish you seek.

It will cost you a whole lot less than $10k
This is somewhat true, corvette is a mass produced car so GM can't pay at tension to that kind of detail, if it was made in lower volume like the viper, which is wet sanded until its perfect , corvettes paint would be better, fact is orange peel is not a new thing to corvette, it's had it for 30 plus years, I found human hair in some of my vettes paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the new Z06 get the same crappy orange peel paint Stingray has been getting?

Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I wonder if the paint dept at GM is reading the poor quality paint threads ?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:41 AM
sd7ss
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Crappy paint

[
Originally Posted by vetteship
I wonder if the paint dept at GM is reading the poor quality paint threads ?

Orange peel will remain an issue as long as the majority of Corvette customers are willing to pay for it, then ignore it; and then post online that it's a "secondary issue", or a figment of somebody's imagination.

OnPoint is very much on point about Orange peel, and I agree with his well spoken posts.

We that care can only hope that those responsible at the plant are aware and planning a change in the very inconsistent paint quality we know exists in current C7 production.

John Brady
Multi Corvette C5, and C6 owner.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:08 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I sat in on a C7 owners session with the BG QC Engineers at the Bash. Believe me, they know. They are working on a solution, but have no time schedule for a fix right now.

Quick Reply: Will the new Z06 get the same crappy orange peel paint Stingray has been getting?