C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why the plastic cover on top of the front tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:46 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I can see many reasons why they would not design a fender that extends outward. One of those reasons is the amount of damage that will occur when the car is driven on roads/tracks with sand and small stones on the surface. That will just sand blast the area. Flat black plastic holds up well in that kind of environment, is easily patched by the owner and can also be easily replaced like the current gurney flap on the C6 Z06/GS/ZR1. If they make the fender extend outward they will just have to cover it like they do on the rear of the C6 front wheel wells. The car is being built to be used hard and not sit in somebody's garage or in car shows. If you don't like the flaps and other things the base Stingray is still available without them. No need to buy a Z06 as you will never use all of the HP available.

Bill[/QUOTE]

I thought the C6 Z06 and the ZR1 were also designed for the track. They don't have spats to cover the tires. Their painted front fenders extend out and cover the tires and they don't seem to have a problem with rocks, etc damaging the painted fender lips. I don't have a single rock chip on the top of my painted C6 Z06 fender's.

Both the C6 Z06 and the ZR1 also have the functional Gurney Lips but they don't make the front fenders look like a off road 4X4 Jeep.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:06 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by slief

[/QUOTE]

Actually, the "flares"/"spats"/"lips" - or what ever the heck they are called - look MUCH better in this pic, since you cant see just how much they detract from the overall fender lines!

This is one time when I say Hooray for the cammo finish!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:30 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I bet vendors will offer body color spats.

And CF, etc.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I bet vendors will offer body color spats.

And CF, etc.
And they will still look like afterthoughts.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:39 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And they will still look like afterthoughts.
I don't disagree. I find them to be an inelegant solution, stock or otherwise.

I'd like to think the new Z will have a different approach when it goes into production, but I seriously doubt it will.

So those spats, along with all the other somewhat "in your face", incongruous grilles etc. basically are dictating my color choice for the car. Looks like I'll go NRB and blend all that stuff in a bit.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:00 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I don't disagree. I find them to be an inelegant solution, stock or otherwise.

I'd like to think the new Z will have a different approach when it goes into production, but I seriously doubt it will.

So those spats, along with all the other somewhat "in your face", incongruous grilles etc. basically are dictating my color choice for the car. Looks like I'll go NRB and blend all that stuff in a bit.
My thoughts exactly. I feel like either white to make it all pop or black. I'm now leaning towards going all black again. Something I never ever thought I'd dare do again after the C6Z06. Make sure you check out the NRB in person before you go for it. In photos I loved it but when I saw it in person it was a little lighter than I was expecting and it may not totally smooth out all the black pieces. If it does, than NRB will definitely be a contender for me as well.

Best,
Gene
Old 04-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

I can see many reasons why they would not design a fender that extends outward. One of those reasons is the amount of damage that will occur when the car is driven on roads/tracks with sand and small stones on the surface. That will just sand blast the area. Flat black plastic holds up well in that kind of environment, is easily patched by the owner and can also be easily replaced like the current gurney flap on the C6 Z06/GS/ZR1. If they make the fender extend outward they will just have to cover it like they do on the rear of the C6 front wheel wells. The car is being built to be used hard and not sit in somebody's garage or in car shows. If you don't like the flaps and other things the base Stingray is still available without them. No need to buy a Z06 as you will never use all of the HP available.

Bill
You are a broken record with your BS assuming how people will use their car. What about the new Convertible Z06 that will not be allowed on many tracks - why not just buy a Stingray convertible

JoesC5 summed it up pretty well below.

I thought the C6 Z06 and the ZR1 were also designed for the track. They don't have spats to cover the tires. Their painted front fenders extend out and cover the tires and they don't seem to have a problem with rocks, etc damaging the painted fender lips. I don't have a single rock chip on the top of my painted C6 Z06 fender's.

Both the C6 Z06 and the ZR1 also have the functional Gurney Lips but they don't make the front fenders look like a off road 4X4 Jeep.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM
96ss#80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Stripes
Sorry, this question may have asked before but why? The front fender is wider and got different side vent compare with the standard coupe already. Why GM does not extend 1" wider while making a new fender for Z06?

-Mike @ www.vettestripes.com Where Stripes Take Trophies!
Thats the one thing so far that I dont care for!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

The spats, winglets, splitters etc are about down force. Making wider fenders does nothing for down force. That is what they are about, nothing more nothing less.

Well OK maybe looks if you like those kind of things. I like!!!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Yes they are about downforce, nothing more nothing less. Problem is that there are a lot of ways that downforce could have been handled with a lot better visual aesthetics. IMO, of course.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phantasms
My thoughts exactly. I feel like either white to make it all pop or black. I'm now leaning towards going all black again. Something I never ever thought I'd dare do again after the C6Z06. Make sure you check out the NRB in person before you go for it. In photos I loved it but when I saw it in person it was a little lighter than I was expecting and it may not totally smooth out all the black pieces. If it does, than NRB will definitely be a contender for me as well.

Best,
Gene

I hear ya, Gene. I'd go black, but I had a black sports car once. Swore I'd never do that again.

I've NRB in person and I think it will be dark enough to do the level of blending I'll be after, and it'll be easier than black to live with.

I'll say this, tho, the most gorgeous color on a sports car is black, IMO. I just don't have the patience for it.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:47 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

It's comical to hear the Z06 needs the spats and jeep flares and all yet the Vert won't even be allowed on a track. Poser Track car ?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I hear ya, Gene. I'd go black, but I had a black sports car once. Swore I'd never do that again.

I've NRB in person and I think it will be dark enough to do the level of blending I'll be after, and it'll be easier than black to live with.

I'll say this, tho, the most gorgeous color on a sports car is black, IMO. I just don't have the patience for it.
Same. I had a triple black C6Z06 that I daily drove. At least now I have a garage, better washing skills, and a little more maturity.

I hope I'll get to see a NRB and Black Z before having to place the order! First world problems right.

Best,
Gene
Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by sam90lx
It's comical to hear the Z06 needs the spats and jeep flares and all yet the Vert won't even be allowed on a track. Poser Track car ?
Why are you so terribly negative towards the new Z06? Are you getting one? I understand everyone has an opinion and it's great to live in a free country where we can share our opinions. However it seems in almost thread you pop in complaining about the "Rubicon flares". I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I don't know why you continue to post the same negativity again and again. If it's with the hope that they change the car before release because of you're posts, well you should know better. It is what it is. Love it or hate it, it's all good. But no need to tell us again and again and again about your opinions on the "cheap horrible jeep rubicon flares". I assure you we all know how you feel and, unlike me, many agree with you.

Best,
Gene
Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Same. I had a triple black C6Z06 that I daily drove. At least now I have a garage, better washing skills, and a little more maturity.

I hope I'll get to see a NRB and Black Z before having to place the order! First world problems right.

Best,
Gene

Yeah, the black car looks interesting.
Have you considered this.....

With the black ZO6, all the black vents, and aero additions will be black and not show up in detail when viewed from a distance.

Now, what about instead of black wheels add the Spectra-Gray wheels and THEN have these black vents & aero painted the same color as the wheels! The SG wheels are very dark but not black.

Bingo, you just highlighted the vents & aero just enough to show and they also go with the wheels.

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 08-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Why are you so terribly negative towards the new Z06? Are you getting one? I understand everyone has an opinion and it's great to live in a free country where we can share our opinions. However it seems in almost thread you pop in complaining about the "Rubicon flares". I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I don't know why you continue to post the same negativity again and again. If it's with the hope that they change the car before release because of you're posts, well you should know better. It is what it is. Love it or hate it, it's all good. But no need to tell us again and again and again about your opinions on the "cheap horrible jeep rubicon flares". I assure you we all know how you feel and, unlike me, many agree with you.

Best,
Gene
Gene...because that's what he does. That's what he did for most of 2013 regarding the C7. Contribute nothing, but make constant, sniping and childish remarks about the C7 while sitting back and "waiting for the wide body" version.

S.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I agree that the plastic/coated splitter and aero will be more durable and track ready than pretty painted pieces.
In another thread I commented that the front splitter on my GT500 is a four piece black plastic unit. It has remained VERY durable on-track, so much so that I've never installed the new replacement. It's actually more resistant to dings, chips and debris than the rest of the front of the car. My heat exchanger looks like roadkill, and the radiator doesn't look much better. Before I clear-bra'd the car I got a lot of bumper chips on it. But that damn black plastic splitter is still there and looks just fine.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Why the plastic cover on top of the front tire?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Snorman
I agree that the plastic/coated splitter and aero will be more durable and track ready than pretty painted pieces.
In another thread I commented that the front splitter on my GT500 is a four piece black plastic unit. It has remained VERY durable on-track, so much so that I've never installed the new replacement. It's actually more resistant to dings, chips and debris than the rest of the front of the car. My heat exchanger looks like roadkill, and the radiator doesn't look much better. Before I clear-bra'd the car I got a lot of bumper chips on it. But that damn black plastic splitter is still there and looks just fine.
S.
What does the front splitter have to do with the front fenders?
Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Best,
Gene
I really like the car a lot and have not complained about anything except for the fender flares, but they look cheesy and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Sure me bitchen is not going to change anything but I can still voice my dislike for them much as all the C7 cheerleaders can tell us how great and perfect the C7 is. Looks like the #1 cheerleader has chimed in as well....
Old 04-20-2014, 06:10 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

What does the front splitter have to do with the front fenders?
Nothing Joe. He likes to hear himself talk.

Quick Reply: Why the plastic cover on top of the front tire?