C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZR1 on the way

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
It's funny you keep referencing this alleged Tadge comment. You know the Corvette team is pretty good at resolving engineering challenges. If the aftermarket can package a TT set-up into a C7, GM will be able to do it better.

I also find it funny people think the new Z06, which from a performance envelope standpoint, will be a MARGINAL improvement over the C6 ZR1 is where Team Vette is going to stop for the C7. That just doesn't even make sense. On the track, the C7 Z06 will be slightly faster than the C6 ZR1. Effectively, it's a lateral move on the performance front.

So, GM has the twin turbo V8 being developed (to go into at least 1 Cadillac model too) and they have the room to step it up on the performance front in the C7 line. There will be a ZR1 model in the C7 line-up and it will have a TT V8, maybe called L88. It will have some nice interior enhancements (Nappa leather, etc.), some exterior differentiators, different wheels/tires, and a few other things.

Guys, think about it. There are a lot of people (me included) that would pay an extra $20k+ over the C7 Z06 to get a factory twin turbo V8 with 750hp or so and some nice interior and exterior tweaks. It's a good business model for GM, especially if they'll already effectively have the engine for some other Cadillac models. Drop it in the C7, made a few other tweaks/changes, make a bulletproof cooling system for track work, and charge a lot of money for it. People will buy them just like 4,500+ people bought the C6 ZR1.

Same here I would go with a C7 ZR1 in a heart beat especially if it's going to be in the 750 factory hp range.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 PM
texel
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice twin turbo setup ... Recent GM Patent Application ...

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum...26RS%3DAN%2Fgm
Old 04-18-2014, 06:12 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by texel

Wow, nice find! Published yesterday!!
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by texel

Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
It's funny you keep referencing this alleged Tadge comment. You know the Corvette team is pretty good at resolving engineering challenges. If the aftermarket can package a TT set-up into a C7, GM will be able to do it better.

I also find it funny people think the new Z06, which from a performance envelope standpoint, will be a MARGINAL improvement over the C6 ZR1 is where Team Vette is going to stop for the C7. That just doesn't even make sense. On the track, the C7 Z06 will be slightly faster than the C6 ZR1. Effectively, it's a lateral move on the performance front.

So, GM has the twin turbo V8 being developed (to go into at least 1 Cadillac model too) and they have the room to step it up on the performance front in the C7 line. There will be a ZR1 model in the C7 line-up and it will have a TT V8, maybe called L88. It will have some nice interior enhancements (Nappa leather, etc.), some exterior differentiators, different wheels/tires, and a few other things.

Guys, think about it. There are a lot of people (me included) that would pay an extra $20k+ over the C7 Z06 to get a factory twin turbo V8 with 750hp or so and some nice interior and exterior tweaks. It's a good business model for GM, especially if they'll already effectively have the engine for some other Cadillac models. Drop it in the C7, made a few other tweaks/changes, make a bulletproof cooling system for track work, and charge a lot of money for it. People will buy them just like 4,500+ people bought the C6 ZR1.
had to edit my reply as I just saw that patent for the twin turbo set up. none the less we have the man on video stating they couldn't package the turbos correctly in the c7, so this very cool set up might be for the caddy or for another platform... but would be sweet if they *could* put it in there!

Last edited by mirage2991; 04-19-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:34 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the patent above is of a V6 engine.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:40 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn

The 2016 Nissan GT-R is reportedly going to have its base V6 twin turbo engine in addition to electric assist..... HP > 800!!

Perhaps Corvette sees what's coming and is preparing for something similar?

The Hybrids are coming.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:44 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Huh! You noticed that too? I didn't say anything because I was afraid the wishful thinkers would have thought I was a fun sucker... i.e. Someone that always has to suck the fun right out of the air..... I'm guessing you counted the intake runners and gasket? Like I said, I didn't want to burst anyone's bubble for those wishing real hard for the ZR1 to reappear. Who knows.... Maybe someday it will if people are willing to wait long enough. Personally, I don't really care.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:58 PM
texel
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep ..Sketch looks like for a V6 push rod engine.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by tmcternan
Huh! You noticed that too? I didn't say anything because I was afraid the wishful thinkers would have thought I was a fun sucker... i.e. Someone that always has to suck the fun right out of the air..... I'm guessing you counted the intake runners and gasket? Like I said, I didn't want to burst anyone's bubble for those wishing real hard for the ZR1 to reappear. Who knows.... Maybe someday it will if people are willing to wait long enough. Personally, I don't really care.
haha yeah I had to. That said, I don't see any mention on this patent being strictly for V6 engines. Packaging of the turbos look pretty tight, im sure if GM wanted to they could stuff turbos in there. We managed to install GT35 turbos with big housings, enough for 1000rwhp on Z06's, smaller turbos rated at a maximum flow of 850bhp and maybe a power output of 750bhp is very possible.

In the near past I had 3 Z06's and a ZR1, I don't see why I cant get both if a ZR1 does show up but I also have a 991 GT3 on order and that's a fine car so im confused I should either get the Z06 or the GT3
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Runs11s
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I have heard a special C7 version will be rolled out for '16 and that it will be a halo car "that will cap the horsepower wars domestically" and will NOT be called a ZR1. No green light from the top brass yet though but it is expected.

That's all he would tell me. I hope he's right.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The only way a turbo sounds desirable to me is where the unit is compensated with an electric motor like in 2014 F1 cars. That way you don't pay the huge prices of transient response to make power. Everything else falls short. Why have lag when you can get over 600hp supercharged?
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 PM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

C7 Z06 is the new ZR1. It was just a rebadge. That's why they won't be coming out with a ZR1. What else is really left to differentiate it. Z06 already offers the supercharger, carbon ceramic brakes, aero package, etc..

With the C6 you had the option of base with the V8 N/A, or Z06 with a big *** V8 N/A, or ZR1 with the supercharger and carbon brakes. With the C7 - there's nothing left to really make a new model with. You can offer twin turbo if you really wanted to, but that doesn't really seem much different than a supercharger in the basic sense. They'd have to really come up with something unexpected to have enough to create an additional model that people would be willing to spend even more for. Once you get too high, then you end up with the Viper and it's sales numbers.. so I don't see much room for another model.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Forged titanium rods, 8.0 compression, 13 psi would make a ZR1. GM will make it, I'm sure. If they sell 1,000 ZR1s per year at $120k that's 1000 cars that they will sell for $120k instead of $80k (Z06). Not counting people that will buy a Z06 and later discard it for a ZR1, that's 40 million dollars/year in profit for GM.

How many Cavaliers did GM have to sell to make 40 million in profit?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:24 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Agreed here on the ZR1 as well though part of me wishes it was a new age LT5 DOHC motor. But if they did a twin turbo V8 I bet that would look pretty nice. But knowing GM they will probably try to hide it all with plastic engine covers. One of the few areas about the Corvette that dumbfound me....plastic engine "dressing" pieces. Hate em'.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:22 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Forged titanium rods, 8.0 compression, 13 psi would make a ZR1. GM will make it, I'm sure. If they sell 1,000 ZR1s per year at $120k that's 1000 cars that they will sell for $120k instead of $80k (Z06). Not counting people that will buy a Z06 and later discard it for a ZR1, that's 40 million dollars/year in profit for GM.

How many Cavaliers did GM have to sell to make 40 million in profit?
I hope you're kidding when you say 8.0 CR, that's not gonna work for emissions and off boost drivability. With direct injection they could either run decent compression and boost or drop a little and run more boost.

For those saying you could have a supercharger and not pay the penalty of lag, ever wondered why all manufacturers switched to turbos? They are FORCED to, turbos are the most efficient form of forced induction. At the same boost levels run on the blower turbos could make significantly more power. It takes a decent amount of power to drive even the most efficient blowers today.

If you need 10psi to make 600bhp on a 6.2 liter engine with a blower, you can probably make MORE than 600bhp with a smaller engine and the same boost level, or higher compression ratio and less boost = more efficient motor.

Also when we say ZR1 we simply mean a higher performance version of the Corvette regardless what they call it. I don't see GM stopping here, do you?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:24 PM
starchedup
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Orange Peel, Orange Peel...

I stopped reading this thread after at page 3... More than half the post are on a TANGENT talking about ORANGE PEEL. OMG... How about you folks so concerned with ORANGE PEEL, make a separate post. I was interested in reading the comments on this mule.

My hope... a totally different body and no ZR1 label. Something akin to the Ford GT in a Twin Turbo with all wheel drive. I'M DREAMING I KNOW. Maybe for the C8Z

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 on the way

Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The only way a turbo sounds desirable to me is where the unit is compensated with an electric motor like in 2014 F1 cars. That way you don't pay the huge prices of transient response to make power. Everything else falls short. Why have lag when you can get over 600hp supercharged?
ever driven one of the newer turbo cars? either with dual scroll turbos, or variable geometry turbos or something like the M5 or Audi engines where the turbos are placed instead of the intake manifold? They make full boost at 1500rpms, something not even a blower can do and they have no lag, unless your but dyno is so accurate that it could measure milliseconds of delay
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Originally Posted by starchedup
I stopped reading this thread after at page 3... More than half the post are on a TANGENT talking about ORANGE PEEL. OMG... How about you folks so concerned with ORANGE PEEL, make a separate post. I was interested in reading the comments on this mule.

My hope... a totally different body and no ZR1 label. Something akin to the Ford GT in a Twin Turbo with all wheel drive. I'M DREAMING I KNOW. Maybe for the C8Z
actually whatever I heard going along what you said, were calling it a ZR1 because its the higher performance version of the Z06, but id bet money it wont be called a Z06 and might have BIG differences compared to a Z06.

I honestly think it will have electric motors supplementing the power making the car behave like an AWD off the line, and make the car more agile in the corners by applying some negative torque to the inner wheels during cornering etc...
Old 04-19-2014, 11:23 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

I hope you're kidding when you say 8.0 CR, that's not gonna work for emissions and off boost drivability. With direct injection they could either run decent compression and boost or drop a little and run more boost.

For those saying you could have a supercharger and not pay the penalty of lag, ever wondered why all manufacturers switched to turbos? They are FORCED to, turbos are the most efficient form of forced induction. At the same boost levels run on the blower turbos could make significantly more power. It takes a decent amount of power to drive even the most efficient blowers today.

If you need 10psi to make 600bhp on a 6.2 liter engine with a blower, you can probably make MORE than 600bhp with a smaller engine and the same boost level, or higher compression ratio and less boost = more efficient motor.

Also when we say ZR1 we simply mean a higher performance version of the Corvette regardless what they call it. I don't see GM stopping here, do you?
The P1 has that compression, 8.1 if I'm not mistaken.

Efficiency is good but please quantify. A turbo robs power to make power as well. What are we talking about, 20hp on top of 635hp? Is that worth all the lag that comes with it?

I've driven the new S55 AMG with the V8 turbo lately and that lag is horrendous. In fact the whole car was an utter bore. I'd go as far as saying it was the farthest from a real driver's car I've been in so far. I'm not counting U-hauls and things of that sort as cars.

I know that BMW has come closest to getting rid of turbo lag and have driven many 3 series cars. Not bad, but far from a sports engine with proper throttle response. Those don't have the turbine in the vee of course. I haven't driven the latest BMW V8 turbo. Any car it comes in weighs at least 4000lbs so I don't see myself testing one anytime soon. With only 4.4L to push I'm sure it will show some lag behavior.

Quick Reply: ZR1 on the way