C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

ZR1 on the way

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:53 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Orange peel - blame the Clean Air Act and water-based acrylic paints with low VOC's. the application of these paints is tricky and very dependent on humidity. Whether your car has orange peel or not is almost "luck of the draw' on when it was painted.

Now a custom paint job can still be done with high VOC lacquer-based paints, depending on where you are located.....but the days of these paint jobs are coming to an end soon, too.
Spot on. Can't find the lacquer anywhere out west, however when there's a will, there's a way and for those that are willing to take the extra time and make the effort, we can still realize some pretty nice quality paint jobs. Sorry, I know this thread is suppose to be whether or not there's going to be a ZR1 in the C7's future.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn
Maybe the best paint job ive ever seen was on the new SRT Vipers, haven't seen anything as good, and I know Ralph Gilles brags about that but good paint cant compensate for other shortcomings.

Okay now back to the topic and im not making any of this up, so I wondering if anyone heard anything even remotely similar.

The Corvette spied here is no convertible Z06, so I cant understand why it would wear the camo.
The Z06 in that photo is a base Z06(look at the front splitter and the Z51 rear spoiler, no winglets or running boards). I would think that if they were testing a super duper 750 HP twin turbo version, they would also have the Z07 level aero aids(or something similar) on the test vehicle(covered by camo, of course).

Maybe that car is the GS replacement with a 480-500 HP twin turbo V6, to slide in between the Z51 and the Z06.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:00 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcternan
Haven't seen the process GM is using, however I was quite captivated by the Emu feather process Ferrari is using. And I was always impressed with the quality of paint jobs on most Ferrari's in the past, but there again, there's a major price difference between the two. Guess my point was there are solutions to the problem, if it's a major problem to the individual, but for many, it's not that much of a problem.

You don't even see car magazines complaining about orange peel in cars they give cars fit and finish points but don't mentioned it.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I don't think the OP comment was completely off subject, at least my intent with it was that before they take on another model - i.e. ZR with a potentially different driveline or frame etc), they need to tighten QC on their paint. I.e. they need to perfect what they building now (and soon will be with the Z).

I understand your comments, and don't even disagree with them. But I've seen C7s with very good paint, and C7s with horrible paint. I've also seen Cruzes and Cadillacs with excellent paint. Seems to me they CAN lay a good finish. What we're seeing in practice is it appears to be a crap shoot whether you get one or the other. I'd personally rather my new 7 not be a crap shoot as to whether it will have a good finish.
I totally understand your concerns and I agree with you, particularly considering the fact we're all going to be making a major commitment ($$$$) wise, at least for me. Guess it's all relevant. And your right about it being a crap shoot because it all depends on the weather and perhaps time of day our respective cars end up in the paint booth. I've already began investigating solutions to the issue should I end up being one of the unfortunate ones, and I may end up taking car of the problem before the car is washed for the first time. I'm still just fascinated by that Emu feather thing Ferrari is doing... LOL If you find yourself in the situation, but hopefully not, then check out the solution for it. I've heard allot of great things about a product from Car Pro by the name of C Quarts and was planning on applying that regardless.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:10 PM
onyx_z71
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcternan
Temperature and humidity can have a major impact on how the paint ends up flowing when it's being applied.
If GM can produce algorithms to make the car behave based on operator inputs, road characteristics, and the weather, one would think that they could get themselves or Fanuc to do the same for a robot spraying paint on panels based on temps and humidity.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
tmcternan
Racer

Originally Posted by onyx_z71
If GM can produce algorithms to make the car behave based on operator inputs, road characteristics, and the weather, one would think that they could get themselves or Fanuc to do the same for a robot spraying paint on panels based on temps and humidity.
I totally agree with you, but it is what it is, and I personally have tried to remain as well informed and resourceful enough in finding solutions to take care of as many issues as possible myself. This issue is just one of many. Not sure if the ZR1 being supercharged had the issue, but I'm kinda of anticipating an oil control issue possibly arising with the Z06. Seems some of the guys have actually installed oil puke tanks and taken other measures, but then that might be a problem that has arisen with installing aftermarket superchargers on the base Stingray. Not sure....
Old 04-14-2014, 03:47 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I don't know what the hell I was looking at. Clearly it is a wide body.

Best,
Gene
Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Kind of off topic, but do we have any concrete info on the new CTS-V? That thing looks great even camo'd up.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Tadge said no turbo set up could be packaged properly on the c7 platform... that means c7 will not have turbos... it's really pretty simple... if anything is more plausible a hybrid frame, cf tub and some new n/a engine is more likely to become the zr1 badge
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM
DaveV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, saw the c7 vert at longbeach last weekend I think GM has done a brilliant job designing the 7 overall but was supprised to se 2 bodypannels not aligned by a 1/16 inch
just proud of each other, so if I can see them what happened to all the inspections etc
lets get this one right
Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been very few cars in automotive history that came stock with a V8 twin turbo setup. Lots of reasons for this.
But... all those reasons aside I really don't think GM is going to invest all that money in a new supercharger setup just to turn around and offer a turbo model later on.

I feel a CF frame will happen.. soon enough for most cars. It may produce better 0-60 numbers on sports cars, but it will also produce better MPG #'s on all of GM's practical cars, which effect their CAFE numbers most.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
Tadge said no turbo set up could be packaged properly on the c7 platform... that means c7 will not have turbos... it's really pretty simple... if anything is more plausible a hybrid frame, cf tub and some new n/a engine is more likely to become the zr1 badge
They could put the turbos where the mufflers are...
Old 04-16-2014, 04:26 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Tadge said no turbo set up could be packaged properly on the c7 platform...
I think he also said no Z06......
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
I think he also said no Z06......
I doubt he's ever said flat out "no Z06." He is very careful to answer some questions straight, and give noncommittal non-answers to others.

Example: When asked "Since the new Z06 has truly awesome performance, there was word today from several outlets that the ZR-1 will be no longer necessary. Is there a possibility of an even more ridiculous Vette in the future?" he answered "Nothing is impossible." http://jalopnik.com/ask-corvette-z06...1500006288/all Elsewhere in that session he said flat out no DCT in this generation since the A8 is lighter, smaller, and faster shifting, and actually fits in the car.

So I wouldn't expect to see a DCT because he gave good engineering reasons not to bother with it, but based on his waffling non-denial that they're cooking up a ZR1, I'd count on seeing it in a year or two. Not that I would feel it necessary, as a 625hp convertible Z06 will keep me happy for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM
C6nexttime
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really funny you say this because I heard the same exact same thing from one of the suppliers that are working on the car. he said there will be a zr1 and said a hp figure that matched yours. I posted about it and was also flamed but its nice to hear the same info from someone else. Iam sure its a few years out so lets enjoy how awesome the c7z is right now
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
I doubt he's ever said flat out "no Z06."
You might be right. I don't have the patience (or bandwidth) to look at all the videos of the Stingray release

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
He is very careful to answer some questions straight, and give noncommittal non-answers to others.
I do remember posting on a thread that was stating that Tadge and crew were not very good at marketing (as far as wording) when making statements about future models or options. Someone high up (don't know if it was Tadge) stated that there would be no A8 for the 2015 Stingray because it needed some work to mate with the standard torque converter and, what do you know, the 2015 now has been confirmed with it, so the situation has happened, not that it is that big of a deal.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

It's funny you keep referencing this alleged Tadge comment. You know the Corvette team is pretty good at resolving engineering challenges. If the aftermarket can package a TT set-up into a C7, GM will be able to do it better.

I also find it funny people think the new Z06, which from a performance envelope standpoint, will be a MARGINAL improvement over the C6 ZR1 is where Team Vette is going to stop for the C7. That just doesn't even make sense. On the track, the C7 Z06 will be slightly faster than the C6 ZR1. Effectively, it's a lateral move on the performance front.

So, GM has the twin turbo V8 being developed (to go into at least 1 Cadillac model too) and they have the room to step it up on the performance front in the C7 line. There will be a ZR1 model in the C7 line-up and it will have a TT V8, maybe called L88. It will have some nice interior enhancements (Nappa leather, etc.), some exterior differentiators, different wheels/tires, and a few other things.

Guys, think about it. There are a lot of people (me included) that would pay an extra $20k+ over the C7 Z06 to get a factory twin turbo V8 with 750hp or so and some nice interior and exterior tweaks. It's a good business model for GM, especially if they'll already effectively have the engine for some other Cadillac models. Drop it in the C7, made a few other tweaks/changes, make a bulletproof cooling system for track work, and charge a lot of money for it. People will buy them just like 4,500+ people bought the C6 ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 on the way

Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Frankly, I think I'll wait for the supercharged, twin-turbo Beast that will show up sooner rather than later. Why get yourself into a low powered 750HP twin turbo when just around the corner from that is the "Beast" at a mere 905HP?
This will be a piece of cake for the Corvette engineers to setup since they already have everything they need from the basic C7Z and C7ZR1.

Guys, think about it....you're gonna look so out of date and underpowered in the C7Z @625 or the C7ZR1 @750!
It's only going to be upward and onward with the new Beast in production but of course you will pay the $145k for it right? I know I will and I can't wait....GM GO!!!! Now gotta find a dealer taking preorders.
Now we're really talking SuperCar.

I hope they don't have any of that tacky stick on crap on the Beast!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by zeshawn
The Corvette spied here is no convertible Z06, so I cant understand why it would wear the camo.
Maybe an old spy photo of a Z06?
Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by arcticblast
Maybe an old spy photo of a Z06?
Towards the end of my interview with Harlan I asked him about this and he said that they simply haven't taken the camo off all the Z06's yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgCw...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: ZR1 on the way