C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

I think Corvette needs a AWD Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I already noted that hub mounted electric motors may be a possibility. however, please note the dates of these articles. Please tell us which of the GM cars have them now.
Yeah, because adding a billion (exaggeration) lbs unsprung weight on a sports car won't have any negative effects on handling. . .
Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
To have a Corvette with an AWD OR RWD drive option, the RWD option will suffer for it.
Because to anyone with a brain in their skull would know that the body would have to change it's proportions to fit AWD.

You are not going to fit AWD in the C7. It would also negatively affect things like weight distribution even if it could fit.

In other words that "all out performance" you AWD guys tout well, the vette won't have it anymore.
AWD costs weight, it costs packaging and weight distribution (which is why the only top 10 car at Laguna with AWD is a Lambo. Because the engine and everything else is in the Back of the car and why the GTR is #13) it costs fuel economy, it costs all out cornering performance, it adds expense to repair and sacrifices durability. AWD is a losing proposition.

the FF Ferrari should stomp a C7 period and forever since it has AWD right? Yet the F12 Berlinetta which is RWD doesn't even beat the C7 (and it's lighter than it's AWD counter part) by more than 1/4 of a second. You would end up with a Fatter F12 with the C7 if it had AWD. It'd be an FF.

Also bear in mind the Mighty Godzilla got beat by the C7 Stingray around Willowsprings. When things get twisty, AWD loses. Hell the GTR just got beat by a Camaro for crying out loud.

"But on the street!" you shouldn't be racing. If you are to the point in your life that you have one of these wonderful machines, what do you really have to prove other than your stupidity by racing on the street? Especially since anyone with a Sport Bike is going to dust your *** anyway? Take it to the track and learn to drive.

AWD isn't something you can just magically bolt into a car and expect everything to fit. There's no way GM could offer both a RWD Corvette and an AWD one. It's one or the other. It's nothing like an engine swap. Suspension geometry alone has to be radically different, to say nothing of substantial changes to the body work, where the transmission is located just to name a few.

It's cost prohibitive for zero performance gains anywhere that isn't a straight line (and then ONLY from a Dig). And that is what makes Godzilla the Hero car that is. It's fast despite the fact that it's saddled with AWD. (even if Godzilla some how magically becomes slower on every track on the planet that isn't Nurburgring, which it does. There's no way a 7:08 car wouldn't IMMEDIATELY be taken to Laguna Seca to shut the Mclaren, Vette and Viper guys up if it were really a street version of that car)
One sensible post out of 10 000. No wonder the country is gong to hell. These people vote.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:45 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Good Point X2!

Originally Posted by Racer X
I already noted that hub mounted electric motors may be a possibility. however, please note the dates of these articles. Please tell us which of the GM cars have them now.
A lot of inertia there and unsprung weight, especially in a vette!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There is no such thing a perfect car. They all have faults.. even if that fault is price. So yes something like the McLaren P1 will outperform every other car in the world but if its costs $1.5 million do people like me really care.. No.

At the end of the day the number one most attractive feature about the Corvette.. is that the everyday regular guy like me can probably afford one. For $50k there is nothing on the market that comes close to the looks, performance, sound and overall experience of owning a Corvette. The higher that price creeps up, the more Corvette buyers will either lose interest or start looking at brands like Porsche a little closer. So While I agree that an AWD option would improve performance and be a popular item with some buyers.. the more you add to the cost of the Corvette.. you have to understand the more appealing its more expensive competition becomes.

As with any technology.. once it becomes cheap enough, lite enough & reliable enough to be produced in very large amounts then you can expect for GM offer it on the Vette. That goes for DCT, KERS-like systems, active aerodynamics and of course a mid-engine design.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 05-01-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:03 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
did not read all the posts.. GM sales would double if they built a Corvette AWD setup. Say what you want even the die hard RWD old School vette owners would buy it once they drove it. TRUST ME.

1 launch in a AWD z06 making 650hp would have them writing the check. They can deny it all they want. One drive and they would be like holy $hit!

Pulling 0-60 in 2.5 secs and Zero wheel spin vs spinning every time you come around a corner in my slow 455hp C7 pushing the gas pedal 1/3 of the way. So many benefits of AWD Including rain drivability.
It'd have to be better than my 100 shot ZX14 to make me go "holy ****" in a straight line. Stock by the way the ZX14 runs deep into the 9s in the 1/4. Car has a LONG way to go to catch that. AWD or not. And that's without me squeezing the bottle.

Off the corner. I really doubt anything AWD will make me ga ga in the dry. the C7 already beat the current GTR on willowsprings. What's the ZO6 going to do to it? I'm guessing there's laws against the sort of things the ZO6 C7 will do to a GTR around anything with corners.

An AWD C7 would also have to get better than 30 mpg highway and I don't see that happening either.

Last edited by MavsAK; 05-01-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
A lot of inertia there and unsprung weight, especially in a vette!

I never said it was a good idea, only it would be one way to get AWD in the current chassis. A mechanical AWD just would not fit would changes, this was discussed ad naseum before the car came out.

The addition of a lot of weight even unsprung weight would be of no concern to those that want AWD drive in a Corvette, it would not cause a problem to acceleration other than the weight which would help traction. I am not sure inertia, as the motor is stationary, not a big increase in rotational inertia, only the added weight. Again the AWD fanatics don't care about weight.

It would also improve fuel mileage!

I think it is a sub-optimal solution as compared to a rear mounted mid-engined chassis. Especially since it would require reengineering the chassis anyway.

AWD is for sedans and family cars for bad weather, and off-roading, not for high performance sports cars.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 AM
jdenny21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn
with twin turbos you can get away with an efficient 5.5 or 6 liter v8 and make tons of power, especially with direct injection, vvt, dod and almost have the combined fuel economy of a v6.
LOL, who gives an F about fuel economy when considering a TT 427; get real!

I hope I never see an AWD vette, and don't believe I ever will; it's just sac religious
Old 05-02-2014, 10:44 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jdenny21
LOL, who gives an F about fuel economy when considering a TT 427; get real!

I hope I never see an AWD vette, and don't believe I ever will; it's just sac religious
correct me if i am wrong but at what hp does the vette start to go slower on OEM tires?

I am spinning my 455 C7 in 1st gear and second gear at will.. what do you think RF's on a Z06 with 635hp is going to do ? I am just saying the more power you add the more the VDC kicks in.

I raced a Zx14 last year with my GTR and it was a close race, i did win ;-)
Old 05-02-2014, 12:17 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd like to acknowledge despite the bickering, Most in this discussion show a willingness to entertain the idea rather shun it in a one word post. Not too long ago it seemed people were complaining about electric steering marking the end of performance corvettes. That was a dark period of resistance to change. I'm not against 4wd but would like the electric motor assist for the front wheels. Vettes are going to have a tough time getting quicker with just two wheels.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:52 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

correct me if i am wrong but at what hp does the vette start to go slower on OEM tires?

I am spinning my 455 C7 in 1st gear and second gear at will.. what do you think RF's on a Z06 with 635hp is going to do ? I am just saying the more power you add the more the VDC kicks in.

Was he spraying?
In any case, good job. But you shelled out quite abit of money to do (and then had to mod it) what a sub 20k bike can do bone stock. Like I said, if I want to beat someone silly I don't even think about a car. I break out the bike for a straight line. It'd take quite abit of money to get a GTR into the 9.60s. Or any car for that matter, let alone down into the 8s. I'd put a modded ZX against a Veryon in a 1/4 anytime. It's not uncommon to see ZXs after turbos, running into the 7s. I really doubt there's going to be any GTRs down in that range, it's just too heavy.

So it comes down to, what are you really getting by getting AWD for a Vette? When for the price difference for an AWD Vette vs a RWD one you're quite likely able to buy a ZX 14 with mods, that will walk the dog on anything out there if the rider has enough *****. As an added side bonus, it puts TWO panty droppers in your stable instead of just one. (though in the side bonus's case the bike might not do the job. For some reason or another girls drool more over my C4 out of anything I drive, or have driven. Maybe it's cause it was the 'barbie vette'?)

I also take it you don't have the E Diff? Or Z51 in your C7? From what I've seen wheelspin doesn't look like much of a problem for them with those gumball tires.

There is a pretty cheap option for you straight line C7 guys that are having traction issues. Mickey Thompson makes an evil evil sticky street legal drag radial.

I just don't understand why you'd want AWD. Mid Rear Engine? Hell Yes I want that. AWD? Not so much

Last edited by MavsAK; 05-02-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:39 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't want an AWD Vette but I do think it would be great as an option for those who want it.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:42 AM
darkhorsevette
Instructor

My two cent....
38 year old
Brought my first vette when I was 30 C6..... Just purchased my c7 z51 last year. ..I have three friends that owns gtr....I also have owned rx7, supra, and Mercedes amg...
Pro for the gtr...
Awd
Fast launch. . Almost no wheel spin. .
Dct
Fast car period! !!!
Con's for the gtr...
Fat and ugly IMHO. ...
Loud with weird noises from the dct...
expensive to up keep....
understeer.....
Expensive to mod....
pro's for the vette...
Price for performance
Light weight
Mods for vette are cheaper then gtr and market for mods are 10x bigger and cheaper...
The sound of a V8.....
Con's. ...
wheel spin during launch. ..
transmission not as quick as dct ( not having the 15 z06 numbers yet)...
Before the c7. ... people's could say that the interior was cheap, the seat wasn't up to par, the car couldn't be control.... But I think GM took care of those issues.... traction control management, differential, redesigned interior ect.....
I asked myself the question why does corvette /porche owners don't buy gtr's. ...i think if the majority of vette/porche owners really wanted to buy a gtr they could.....
Sales for corvette 1.4 million
Sales for Gtr 7900
There no comparison in sales, even against 911 sales numbers. ...
I truly think if the gtr had a better exterior design more people's would buy it, I would.... It's a great car for the value. .. Every time I cruise with my friend, people's always take picture of my c7 and ask my friend what kind of car do they have....
All said the vette is iconic and been around for 50 years, so many vette owners are older, so what!!!! Gtr in 30 years will have a lot of older owners too, if they make it that long....supra, rx7 ect....

Last edited by darkhorsevette; 05-03-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,982 Likes on 1,397 Posts

Looks like we have a few people here who want a heavy car with understeer.

Michael
Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 172 Posts

You can spin the tires of a 50hp Renault 5 in first and second gear if you so desire. Why is everyone so damn worked over a straight line acceleration? If you want a damn fast car around a road course then you buy a Corvette. If you want a damn fast car @ straight line you buy a Porsche Turbo/S. Theres absolutely nothing and I do mean nothing that can touch a Turbo S @ straight line if theres no track prep. Even the 997.2..

Oh and yes it does spin its tires too...
Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MavsAK
It'd have to be better than my 100 shot ZX14 to make me go "holy ****" in a straight line. Stock by the way the ZX14 runs deep into the 9s in the 1/4. Car has a LONG way to go to catch that. AWD or not. And that's without me squeezing the bottle.

Off the corner. I really doubt anything AWD will make me ga ga in the dry. the C7 already beat the current GTR on willowsprings. What's the ZO6 going to do to it? I'm guessing there's laws against the sort of things the ZO6 C7 will do to a GTR around anything with corners.

An AWD C7 would also have to get better than 30 mpg highway and I don't see that happening either.
What does a ZX14 trap @ 1/4 stock? I saw a race vs C GT and that damn bike wasn't even in the same zip code LOL.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:46 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by svtkeith
I don't want an AWD Vette but I do think it would be great as an option for those who want it.
It would be great if GM can offer 2 model Corvettes. One with RWD and one AWD.

That way those who like RWD won't have to pay dearly to buy their dream car. As for the AWD folks..have fun paying the R&D costs.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,180 Posts

If you want an all wheel rive sports car there are many to choose from...

The Audi tt
The Audi r8
The Porsche 911 4s
Porsche turbo
Nissan GTR
Lamborghini gallardo
Lamborghini aventador
Ferrari ff

I prefer rear wheel drive sports cars

Corvette
Z06
Gt3
Boxster
Cayman s
Ferrari 458
F12
McLaren
M3
M6
M5
Jaguar f type

The list goes on and on in both categories

No need for corvette to offer all wheel drive. JMO

Get notified of new replies

To I think Corvette needs a AWD Corvette

Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Mike McGinnis
Racer

When the Vette has a slower 0-60 time than an all electric SUV.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
What does a ZX14 trap @ 1/4 stock? I saw a race vs C GT and that damn bike wasn't even in the same zip code LOL.
Depending on the rider, very high 8's to low 9's, with zero mods. Should have eaten the CGT and if it didn't, it's a rider who doesn't really know how to run the bike. Change a sprocket, stretch it, slam it, add a pipe, tune, and a well-versed lightweight rider can do 8.6's all day long. That's on the ZX14. The ZX14R is even faster.

I am on my 2nd ZX14 since 2006...they are rockets with a ton of low end grunt. Not much out there that beats 'em.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

28 years old. If I wanted an all-wheel-drive performance car, I'd buy one.

Quick Reply: I think Corvette needs a AWD Corvette